Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Hieronymous Alloy
Jan 30, 2009

Why! Why!! Why must you refuse to accept that Dr. Hieronymous Alloy's Genetically Enhanced Cream Corn Is Superior to the Leading Brand on the Market!?!

Morbid Hound
Problems with Poe 1 I hope are fixed in sequel:

1) no talking dog companion with magic dog items

2) can't dual wield pistols

3) at the top end of the game guns are deprecated due to irreducible reload time

4) the story was more interesting than compelling. Not bad, but there was little sense or urgency. Much like the second dragon age, where I just stopped playing once I got the house, there was a lot of "why am I doing this" to most of the side quests - no over all sense or urgency, not even BG2's drive to raise cash to save Imoen.

5) stronghold ties you down. Is your new stronghold your ship? That would be awesome. Cannons!

6) game was too drat long. Does anyone actually bother to do all the twin elms quests?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Hieronymous Alloy
Jan 30, 2009

Why! Why!! Why must you refuse to accept that Dr. Hieronymous Alloy's Genetically Enhanced Cream Corn Is Superior to the Leading Brand on the Market!?!

Morbid Hound
Better be a goddam monkey island somewhere in this thing

Hieronymous Alloy
Jan 30, 2009

Morbid Hound
I believe you want to it to balance a few inches above the hilt.

Hieronymous Alloy
Jan 30, 2009

Morbid Hound

Rookersh posted:

Cool post!

Except the entire fig pitch says they have more then enough for the game and all the ideas they have thanks to Pillars of Eternities sales.

That the only thing this is for is to get a preorder in early, for fig investors to make some cash, and try to justify fig more. That the only thing this gets us gamewise is some translations, plus the ability to multiclass.

Don't get me wrong. I bet $29 is a great preorder price. And there might be some cool stretch goals. But if this is for anything other then funding translations/multiclassing Obsidian really needs to make it clearer.

It gets me a map

Hieronymous Alloy
Jan 30, 2009

Morbid Hound

2house2fly posted:

Pepe's Paralyzing Cuckblast

Gator's Quenching Thirst-aide

Hieronymous Alloy
Jan 30, 2009

Morbid Hound

Ginette Reno posted:

We already have an SA spell in the game with Tayn's Chaotic Orb

idgi

Hieronymous Alloy
Jan 30, 2009

Morbid Hound
If strongholds return I hope they're a boat

Hieronymous Alloy
Jan 30, 2009

Morbid Hound

Scorchy posted:

Boo 5 player parties.

So much agreement

For many reasons. It really limits party composition, limits ability to experience the different companions, and the odd number makes for odd and irregular formations.

Hieronymous Alloy fucked around with this message at 02:28 on Jan 27, 2017

Hieronymous Alloy
Jan 30, 2009

Morbid Hound
Oh goddammit

quote:

The biggest change from the original is that Deadfire will have a five-character adventuring party. The original had six players, and Obsidian’s 2016 RPG Tyranny had four. How did the designers decide that five is the magic number?

“We’ve been playing with a five-character party for most of development and really like how encounters work with that size,” Urquhart said. I can see how this came about — six characters can be cumbersome, while four can seem … limiting. Five enables for you to cover every major RPG role — tank, damage-dealer, ranged, magic, and healing — while still giving the player room to experiment with character builds.

Yeaaah this really feels like a bad call

Harshin my buzz here man

Hieronymous Alloy
Jan 30, 2009

Morbid Hound

zedprime posted:

The only unarguable reason not to cut it down is because there will be no base formation that won't set off OCD.

This is a HUGE issue for me.

Hieronymous Alloy
Jan 30, 2009

Morbid Hound
Does anyone know if the "Destroy vessels" ability of St. Ydwen's Redeemer will proc on Carnage hits?

also, meant to post this earlier:

Hieronymous Alloy fucked around with this message at 04:20 on Jan 27, 2017

Hieronymous Alloy
Jan 30, 2009

Morbid Hound

Furism posted:

It absolutely does. Shamelessly posting my LP to prove it (move to 1h54) : https://youtu.be/rbNWrufIFsg

Arg that makes the choice for my spelltongue barb's backup weapon genuinely difficult

Hieronymous Alloy
Jan 30, 2009

Morbid Hound
Oh the other thing the next game needs

MORE FANCY HATS

it is absolutely despicable how few good fancy feathered magical hats there are

honestly the whole enchanted clothing aspect of the game needs more customization options

Hieronymous Alloy
Jan 30, 2009

Morbid Hound

Furism posted:

You could respect just for Galvino's and Durgan's Battery (Vessel heavy dungeons), or just use that weapon when needed. I guess you'll be bumping DEX and PER anyway and that's all you need really.

I think I'm just going to give it to Pallegina and have her be my Vessel Blaster. I haven't even done Heritage Hill yet.

I'd been planning on putting grey sleeper on the spelltongue Maneha as backup, but then she's stuck all with one damage type.

Hieronymous Alloy fucked around with this message at 04:42 on Jan 27, 2017

Hieronymous Alloy
Jan 30, 2009

Morbid Hound

Dolash posted:

I'm not a big fan of Dragon Age or anything, but I was definitely able to get a grip on its setting that I never could with Pillars. Obviously your mileage is going to vary, the comparison's just meant to contrast how those games stuck closer to the familiar with Pillars' more original but maybe less cohesive setting. It's a feeling that's hard to put into words but I see echoes of it in a lot of criticism other people have made and it's something I feel too. The new game moving to a new location though means that it might not be a problem again.

Edit: Is Game of Thrones really low fantasy? I thought that was more like Conan. It's got magic and elves and zombies and dragons too, they just creep back into the story slowly. Anyway, I'd argue it's medieval politics that made Song of Ice and Fire interesting and that doesn't need to be inherently low-fantasy or low-magic or what have you.

Gonna go all Book Barn itt:

"Low Fantasy" and "High Fantasy" are poorly defined terms and are used variously to mean:

• "low art/high art" -- i.e., pulp fantasy vs tolkien; is this an Epic Romantic Saga or is it just tits and dragons?
  • to refer to the level of magic in the setting -- i.e., a setting with very little magic might be considered "low fantasy" in a similar way to how a desert is "low water"
  • in some critical circles, to refer to whether a given story takes place in a "normal" world or in a "magical" world, i.e., is this London or Narnia

I think Furism is using "low fantasy" to mean "level of magic in the setting." Dragon Age has more magic flying around in the same sense that Chernobyl has more background radiation. I actually found that offputting because DA's setting was a lot less original if you've read a lot of fantasy already (Mass Effect had the same problem -- literally every good idea in the Mass Effect setting is stolen from somewhere else, usually Vernor Vinge).

PoE has a great setting. I don't think that's the major issue with the accessibility of its narrative, or at least it wasn't for me (though I may have more exposure to varied settings than most people -- I really appreciated the originality of PoE's setting). I think the issue there is a combination of

1) most modern gamers expecting important exposition in cut scenes, not text boxes, and

2) lack of a real sense of urgency overall (A timer or something similar might've helped address this but would have introduced other problems).

Hieronymous Alloy fucked around with this message at 05:57 on Jan 27, 2017

Hieronymous Alloy
Jan 30, 2009

Morbid Hound

Yinlock posted:

so did he just luck out with pst or what

like i notice his writing is super, super metaphor-heavy but outside of planescape or crazy people that doesn't really work well

he writes good lunatics though

A lot of great writers are also lucky writers.

That said I'm sad that Avellone and Fenstermaker aren't involved in this project but hell we're on a boat

I bet Avellone wouldn't take away my sixth party member

Hieronymous Alloy
Jan 30, 2009

Morbid Hound

Zore posted:

So, wait, does 2 subclasses mean you can be a Ranger that focuses on 'Animal Companion' or 'Shooting poo poo' or does it tie into the multiclass system?

Like you can be a Ranger with a Cipher and Wizard subclass?

:confused:

I feel like we are getting a lot less detail in this campaign than we got in the kickstarter. Maybe it's just a feeling.

Hieronymous Alloy
Jan 30, 2009

Morbid Hound

CottonWolf posted:

There are still adventurers. Pillars is a game secretly build for gimmick runs.

My favorite PoE article remains the one about playing as a party of bears

Hieronymous Alloy
Jan 30, 2009

Morbid Hound

bongwizzard posted:

Exactly but six bears are better than five bears.

Obviously more bears = better, that's just math

Hieronymous Alloy
Jan 30, 2009

Morbid Hound

Chairchucker posted:

If more NPCs is better, what buffoon thought up a six person party size when we clearly should've been playing with all NPCs at once in one party?

I actually looked for a mod to do that once just as a gimmick

Hieronymous Alloy
Jan 30, 2009

Morbid Hound

Chairchucker posted:

Did you find it?

I didn't look that hard so no

Hieronymous Alloy
Jan 30, 2009

Morbid Hound

Power Bottom posted:

What's everyone's opinion on firearm balance in PoE? I've been toying with the idea of modding my game to make them slightly more powerful, because in playing they've seemed a bit lacking compared to the more traditional ranged weapons.

I think they're well balanced up to the point where you start stacking speed buffs, at which point the irreducible reload speed makes them significantly weaker vis a vis bows.

Also no soulbound gun wtf

Hieronymous Alloy
Jan 30, 2009

Morbid Hound

Harrow posted:

I'd guess so. Getting reset to level 1 is a perfectly good justification for getting to change classes, and hell, you could already just pay gold to change your attributes in PoE1 as many times as you wanted to.

I wonder if they'll let you change the Watcher's race and sex. Just have Eder do the opening narration and be like, "Yeah, people tell the story all wrong. The Watcher's not some human man from Vailia, she's a dwarf from Naasitaq. I don't know how people get that so wrong so consistently. Rumors spread like fire in the Dyrwood, I guess."

Eothas hits you so hard you wake up in a whole new body.

Hieronymous Alloy
Jan 30, 2009

Morbid Hound

Fintilgin posted:

Ok, Ok. We're level one.

Does Eothas steal all my poo poo too? :magical:

He needs all your poo poo for his charm bracelet.

Hieronymous Alloy
Jan 30, 2009

Morbid Hound

bongwizzard posted:

Yea, like, why bother to carry forward the story, then do some weak poo poo like this?

I would have strongly prefered an non-continuing story in any case, but resetting to lvl one is dumb as hell. It kills any reason to try and play both games as a single deal, like you can with BG I and II.

Not necessarily. It depends on what carries over. There are a lot of special "talents" you can pick up in the course of the game that aren't level dependent (gift from the machine, etc) and dispositions etc might carry over also.

I'd still like to start at like . .level four or so.

Hieronymous Alloy
Jan 30, 2009

Morbid Hound

X_Toad posted:

I'm not particularly upset that the party size was reduced to 5, unless of course it turns out that the five characters introduced so far are all the companions available, in which case I will poo poo a brick! Seriously, Obsidian already did that with Mask of the Betrayer!

Five slots, six total characters

Sorry Pallegina we're voting you Off the Boat

Hieronymous Alloy
Jan 30, 2009

Morbid Hound

Fintilgin posted:

Reducing us to level one is a very.... sane decision from Obsidian pov, but frustrating for players.

I feel like they should give you some unique feats or something based off your game state that you can ONLY get from importing a full game. Like, if you killed all the PoE dragons you get a "Dragon Slayer" feat, or stuff like that.

I'd honestly rather import story states and play a new character (Edar will talk about your Watcher and there are story consequences) than have a total level drain and equipment loss.

I agree, I'd like to start at like level four minimum. The early levels are kinda repetitive.
I'm hoping the traits like "gift of the machine" and the doemenels/dozens/knights bonus carry over at least.

I'm gonna be salty about only five slots though.

Hieronymous Alloy
Jan 30, 2009

Morbid Hound

Semper Fudge posted:

You all realize that you can balance a game so that being level 1 is the same as being level 4 right?

You aren't making sense. Four is more than one. Duh.

Hieronymous Alloy
Jan 30, 2009

Morbid Hound

zedprime posted:

The achievement snooping doesn't paint a pretty picture. They aren't perfect demographic cheevos and cheevo snooping only means so much, but The Heir of Caed Nua, the new stronghold quest (was that even White March locked?) is sitting at 7.5%, soul binding a weapon is at 6.4% and Maneha and the Zahua/Devil cheevo is sitting at 4.0 and 3.9%.

Just under half of owners made it past Caed Nua for reference. So if you figure a generous only half the people stuck with WM to the point of getting through those opening overtures, the expansion attachment is like 15% of total sales at best.

Sucks because WM outclasses the rest of the game so hard but I guess the half full side is it must have been great practice for making POE2.

Yeah, I think th game just has so much content people didn't want to play more. I suspect it'll see a sales spike with this announcement.

Hieronymous Alloy
Jan 30, 2009

Morbid Hound
Did the regrets worth trading quest change with White March II? I seem to have somehow gotten a result where they were real giftbearers and actually dumped the dude's stuff in the lake for reals? So I don't get to slaughter the temple any more?.

Hieronymous Alloy fucked around with this message at 06:25 on Jan 28, 2017

Hieronymous Alloy
Jan 30, 2009

Morbid Hound

Furism posted:

Seriously? Any reward change too?

No, I think I messed up somehow. I got the giftbearer's notebook and went to the ice, got the chest from the ice, the chest in the ice actually had the dwarf's stuff in it, and I can give it back to the dwarf for the small reward, but there doesn't seem to be any way to flip the temple -- no chest full of rocks or anything. Killing all the guys in the temple and the chest in the temple is just filled with cash.

Hieronymous Alloy
Jan 30, 2009

Morbid Hound

Roobanguy posted:

you probably have to eavesdrop after first meeting them to get the chest full of rocks thing.

I guess? But it seems like reality shifted. I mean either they're scamming or they aren't! This is bizarre!

Hieronymous Alloy
Jan 30, 2009

Morbid Hound
Oh goddammit I forgot about this part of the replay

The most difficult choices in the entire game:

WTF should I pick for Durance and Aloth's spell mastery slots

I goddam freeze on this every time. Eldritch Aim? the armor buff? maybe barbs of condemnation? Will the AI cast these automatically?

Hieronymous Alloy
Jan 30, 2009

Morbid Hound
I wonder if cipher subclasses will split melee/ranged or damage/CC.

Hieronymous Alloy
Jan 30, 2009

Morbid Hound

Walrus Pete posted:

This has never been and never will be a good idea. Especially in a genre so typically stuffed with optional content.

Give me a soft time limit. "The longer you take to do X, the harder your task will be" type thing.

Hieronymous Alloy
Jan 30, 2009

Morbid Hound
Oh another thing I really want in PoE 2

I want to see your inactive pets running around the ship and playing with each other like in the rigging etc

also at some point: pet sloth

RopeKid, go read the aubrey/maturin series by Patrick O'Brian if you haven't already for nautical inspirations, officially Book Barn approved series

Hieronymous Alloy
Jan 30, 2009

Morbid Hound

Scorchy posted:

I think if they made a not-Priest class with mana resources like a Cipher it'd fill a big hole. Part of the point of Ciphers and Chanters was for people who hate Vancian casting to fill their party up with alternatives.

As it is already, there's 11 classes, only 3 of them are primarily per-rest based, and there's 6 5 party slots to fill. You're not locked into Vancian casting if you don't like it.

This is a really really good point

Hieronymous Alloy
Jan 30, 2009

Morbid Hound

Zore posted:

I think Chanters could fill the role with a bit of a rework. They already have a strong passive heal and the ability to spit out buffs in their chants, just give us some chants that can do things like some of the more important priest spells (suppress fear, remove mind control etc) and you could dynamically switch between them in battle.

Not as focused as a priest but it'd be worthwhile and still have the Chanter identity.

The chanter even sorta kinda does do that, there are a lot of low level chants that buff various defenses.

The problem is it's just buffs not *immunity* and you really need actual immunities. And they're low level buffs that don't really scale well in the endgame when you need really heavy defenses to avoid getting chain-stunned/charmed/etc on PotD.

Reworking some of the Chanter song phrases that give resist to charm, etc. as more general immunities could be a big jump in effectiveness. Only issue would be if a single chanter could just passively give immunity to everything, but there should be a workaround for that somehow (very long phrases?)

Hieronymous Alloy fucked around with this message at 05:51 on Jan 29, 2017

Hieronymous Alloy
Jan 30, 2009

Morbid Hound
Do any White March I sidequests get broken by moving to WM II? I'm guessing Regrets Worth Trading, what else?

Hieronymous Alloy fucked around with this message at 15:47 on Jan 29, 2017

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Hieronymous Alloy
Jan 30, 2009

Morbid Hound
I like to build druids as tanks. Hiravias can play as a front line melee fighter with spells if you build him right, and it plays very differently from a standard wizard at least (I've never tried a melee wiz). You just go supertank defenses and then cast returning storm and similar spells.

• Locked thread