Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Iretep
Nov 10, 2009
Most of the companions are giant walking backstory books so i guess youll miss some backstory at least. You dont need to bring them with you to get most of it though, you can just talk to them after hiring them. Only a few of them need you to have them follow you forever to get their full story.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Iretep
Nov 10, 2009
im not even sure why people want a level 20 when the whole system will probably get remade and youll start from lvl 1.

Iretep
Nov 10, 2009
Id argue the combat in skyrim is pretty bad too without mods, and mods cant really fix it either. The sword play isnt anything exciting, the bow play is lacking and extremely boring if you go stealth archer and magic sucks and is lacking in variety without mods.

Iretep
Nov 10, 2009
i realised a good story is very subjective when i met a person who said fallout 3s main story made him cry at how deep the story was.

Iretep
Nov 10, 2009
i never had any urgency to deal with the hollowborn issue because it sounded like something the DM will force me to deal with in the main quest eventually. the whole going insane from awakening was far more concerning to me because it seemed like something the DM would dick me over if i ignored it.

Iretep
Nov 10, 2009
The camping and health/endurance system was pretty half assed i found. It only worked if you were unwilling to walk back to town for more camping stuff. Though this has been a problem since infinity engine days so it was still an improvment to those games. BG1 and 2 could in theory have an endstate if you were unwilling to savescum through random encounters. Of course it also required you to not spam rest. Pillars has no random encounters so you wont die from lack of supplies. If you run out of supplies all you have to do is walk back to town. Id be intrested to some day see an actual camping system where you had an end state if you lacked the materials. Of course i imagine most people wouldnt like such a cruel system.

Iretep
Nov 10, 2009
Basically if you were to carry swords in city limits it either meant you were breaking the law or you were some badass who could do so legally. Like a knight or something.

Iretep
Nov 10, 2009

Chairchucker posted:

Re: Maneha hate.

I don't really get it. I haven't actually seen all that much in the way of interactions that would inspire this. Where/what awful things does she say/do that make people hate her?

i just hate cheery people.

Iretep
Nov 10, 2009
Evil, or rad as all hell? Im thinking the latter

Iretep
Nov 10, 2009

2house2fly posted:

A self-interested character would reason that if you kill the Lord you can probably plunder his castle for loot. I think that might even be one of the reasons Kolsc gives you to help him

yeah i pretty much went into the castle to kill everyone and loot their poo poo because the stronghold wasnt going to get max upgraded by itself.

Iretep
Nov 10, 2009
If you want to ultimate talker and actually be good in combat too then barbarian tank is the best for that I think. Just dump con and dex and have decently high everything else. Dumping con isnt that big of a deal for a barbarian because they have high health to start with. Itll kind of still hurt early on but once you get some survival skills youll be stupidly tanky still.

Iretep
Nov 10, 2009
I generally dont kill the dragons out of respect of them talking to me. My murderhobo is secretly very lonely and grieving mother and Durence arent helping with that.

Iretep
Nov 10, 2009

Basic Chunnel posted:

IIRC it was mainly caravans going east that were restrained, partly by red tape but mostly by Nipton Highway / I-15 being unsafe, not any stretch of road west of the outpost. In any event I don't recall the option of leaving the map ever being floated as a possibility in-game.

you can leave if you nuke the ncr in that one dlc. though only to that place you nuked so you can laugh at all the radioactive ncr troopers.

Iretep
Nov 10, 2009
bioware forums were a magical place.

Iretep
Nov 10, 2009
Starting a pillars run is annoying much like in arcanum because you cant decide what class you want to create. You basically want to take certain companions with you so you cant take up those roles but all the roles that are free i dont want to make a character for. Right now im thinking just going wizard and looking at aloth awkwardly while we do the exact same thing of nuking poo poo to death. Id make a druid so i wouldnt double dip in classes but everyone seems to say they are boring as casters or something.
edit: or make a gold pact knight but then id be double dipping with Pallegina.

Iretep fucked around with this message at 15:52 on Jul 25, 2017

Iretep
Nov 10, 2009

Samuel Clemens posted:

Druids are about as boring as Wizards. Which is to say it's pretty boring to just nuke the entire battlefield and leave no survivors.

well the other problem i have with druids is i have a hard time roleplaying a tree hugging hippy who only craps in the woods.

Iretep
Nov 10, 2009
Ok after thinking it a bit i guess ill go cipher and kick grieving mother out because she barely has any input in the games story besides when babies and mothers are involved. Any recomendations on what weapons to use for a ranged cipher for end game? My current party plan is Eder, Durance, Palagina, Aloth, whoever feels fitting for the time and my cipher. I already have 3 melee dudes so probably better to go for more ranged dudes.

Iretep
Nov 10, 2009
im not doing that dumb 3 blunderbuss trick because i hate too much micro stuff.

Iretep
Nov 10, 2009

Hieronymous Alloy posted:

How can you play without Eder

Well if youre like me then youre new and think maxing out resolve, int and perseption makes a good talker. The logical thing to do is make a fighter and kick Eder out because double dipping in meat shields is useless. Of course halfway through that playthrough i realised
1) fighters are boring so id have been better off using Eder instead and make something fun with my character
2) Eder owns and my party us cursed to burn in hell forever for not taking him.

Iretep
Nov 10, 2009
Anyone have recomendation on a good end game two handed weapon for Pallegina to aim for? I figure I should stop having all my melee dudes be sword and boarders and have one of them at least have something diffrent.

Iretep
Nov 10, 2009

tekz posted:

Gonna play POTD for the first time, as a ranged cipher built around CC rather than damage. (might 11, int 19 for higher aoe/status effects, taking stuff like eyestrike and the charm spell). What's a good party to go with for that?

I was thinking of both Eder and Aloth + others, but is 2xranged CC bad? Someone told me that POTD is about nuking down the opposition asap, so should I swap out the wizard for a ranged damage dealer instead?

Im doing a ranged cipher as well and currently my party is Eder, Pallegina, Aloth, Durance, Saitani and me in the back. Saitani can be switched with whoever else you feel like though which is pretty much my intention. Is POTD even doable with companions though? At least without somekind of OP build from the main char.

Iretep
Nov 10, 2009
Rogues are kind of weirdly useless and unintresting since their traditional gimmick of being esential skill monkeys isnt a thing for them anymore.

Iretep
Nov 10, 2009
off the top of my head there was that couple of soul mates that animancers helped bring together and theres probably another few examples of its benefits. theres also an example of non thanos bad sides from the hobo woman who is depressed because she found out she was a noble in a past life and finds her current life lacking now.

Iretep
Nov 10, 2009
look they acknowledge this by letting you ask some of them "didnt i kill you?" so it makes it fine.

Iretep
Nov 10, 2009
im pretty sure she wasnt supposed to be important beyond making you go to spellhold eventually. she was originally supposed to die in spellhold before fans heard about it and got angry for some weird reason.

Iretep
Nov 10, 2009
How i always took it is poe is more of a bg1 than bg2. You basically are given a main plot to follow but you also have all this cool stuff to do adventures on and explore. The whole strong plot not being there sounds like nonsense when thats the whole point, this setting is more an excuse to do the side quests than the main quest. Considering how much the game expects you to take your time during each chapter, itd be more of a flaw that the game hurries you with the main plot because then youd miss out on ton of potential content.

Iretep
Nov 10, 2009
honestly i want poe2 to be about as brutal as lisa is about companions and choices. right after the tutorial eothas comes in gives you choice of either killing eder or rips one of your arms off. if you take too long with the story he comes back and rips the other arm too.

Iretep fucked around with this message at 14:49 on Aug 3, 2017

Iretep
Nov 10, 2009
In 1 yeah. I think that was part of the motivation for killing her in 2 because she wasnt all that well written into the BG1 plot anyway. Kind of trying to get rid of a quick patchwork solution.

Iretep
Nov 10, 2009
in d&d gods are even less impressive since like half of them are former mortals.

Iretep
Nov 10, 2009

Ravenfood posted:

Players, yes, but probably not of the characters within the world.

Durance literally gives a speech about how you need to kill gods that cross the line. Of course even hes not sure if the godhammer actually killed Eothas or did it do something else to him like bring him back to the wheel. Woedica was also killed ages ago im pretty sure.

Iretep
Nov 10, 2009

Fair Bear Maiden posted:

Sorry to hear about the cat problems, rope kid, but glad to hear she's doing better now.

I'm excited for bombs, though I'm wondering if they'll just be a one-time AoE damage splash or they'll also have more interesting effects. For example, some of those bombs seem to linger, so I'm wondering if it'll be possible to use them to create damaging or healing surfaces.

Also wonder if the Alchemy skill will come into play when reverse pickpocketing bombs on people.

I'm really excited for the gameplay opportunities, it sounds like the game will be inherently more open than the original between the new world map, the day-night schedules for the NPC, the pickpocketing and stealth improvements, and the overhauled skill system, not to mention the new multiclasses and subclasses.

hopefully we can finally reverse pickpocket bombs onto annoying people like children again.

Iretep
Nov 10, 2009
Yeah, my main problem with rogue is they just dont bring anything intresting to the table. Even a basic fighter tank brings tankiness and damage to the table. Rogue brings nothing but dps. Not exactly a role i really care about.

Iretep
Nov 10, 2009
sure come and kill the gnomes, they just have an army of half-ogre bodyguards defending them :smug:

Iretep
Nov 10, 2009
if youre a good guy you dont really need to level smithing or whatever if you just want early game stuff since the first dwarf companion can smith most of the good early game weapons.

Iretep
Nov 10, 2009
said dwarf companion that can smith things actually can make indistructable pyrothenic axes that hurt rock golems pretty well.

Iretep
Nov 10, 2009
Does potd change the mid game into an actual challange or does it become a pushover even once youve gotten all your good gear?

Iretep
Nov 10, 2009
im not even sure why there needs to be a story reason for the lvl1 thing since combat mechanics rarely simulate how strong the character is supposed to be storyvise anyway.

Iretep
Nov 10, 2009
edit: beaten

Iretep
Nov 10, 2009
Since were nitpicking rpg features one thing im hoping PoE 2 does better than PoE 1 did is race and gender relevance. PoE 1did it kind of well but often i felt they didnt have much meaning besides a short mention of "oh youre that race or gender, thats nice". I always consider Arcanum a high mark on how relevant race and gender can be where if youre a woman you get the option to suck a halflings dick to get into a mens club or just kill him for being a pig. As a man you never even meet the halfling owner since you just walk into the club and leave. Basically i want to see perks and problems coming from me choosing to play a race or a gender because the world is full of assholes. Of course im skeptic this will be a thing since this is a game taking more inspiration from baldurs gate 2 which also had the whole race or gender doesent matter thing going on.

Now that i think about it New Vegas did this pretty well with low INT characters getting some minor features if they are retarded. Like Arcade Ganon joining you out of pity. Of course there arent many low int things in the game but at least they are there.

Iretep fucked around with this message at 16:43 on Oct 31, 2017

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Iretep
Nov 10, 2009
When i was first playing the game the golden characters made me kind of annoyed since i didnt realise what they were. I thought some obsidian dev just went insane with the background lore or something.

• Locked thread