Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
evilmiera
Dec 14, 2009

Welp, 200 bucks going towards them the moment this goes live. At least to start with.

Going to spread it to all my possibly RPG-invested friends.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

evilmiera
Dec 14, 2009

Under the vegetable posted:

I hope they aren't really using Fig of all fuckin things

They kind of have to unfortunately. At least, I imagine so. With all the backing from corporations for their last kickstarter, who all use and used Fig, they're morally obliged to a degree. I mean I wouldn't because there's even less exposure on Fig and that might mess up the process, but that's how things are.

evilmiera
Dec 14, 2009

2house2fly posted:

The nerd in me is vaguely annoyed that it involves Eothas possessing the statue from the stronghold, because the backstory of that statue is that it got cut in half or something and was useless, and also beetles gnawed at it for centuries. Still, that's probably something godly power could fix, and it's cool that the story doesn't just involve you leaving your giant castle which you're the lord of and travelling the world like I'd assumed(although the big reveal at the end of the game could justify that too).

I hope there's something like the Dragon Age Keep (I don't need the pretty tapestry poo poo, just a series of plain checkboxes would do me fine) if only because I want to know exactly what choices roll over.

I hadn't read that story bit yet, unless you're just making that up. Where did they drop that?

evilmiera
Dec 14, 2009

179 dollars pledged, just moments before the site crashed from so many users pledging at once. I don't think Fig was built to handle an actual popular product.

evilmiera
Dec 14, 2009

Oh wait no the site is up the problem was on my end. Oh well! They've gotten pretty far already, but I'm hoping for more real soon.

evilmiera
Dec 14, 2009

rope kid posted:

did somebody say balance

gently caress, you summoned him, come on quick someone sacrifice a 16th century mosaic or we're all going to have to listen to really interesting commentary.

evilmiera
Dec 14, 2009

Damnit, reset to first level. I was hoping for at least some kind of carry-over if you so choose.

evilmiera
Dec 14, 2009

Hieronymous Alloy posted:

I feel like we are getting a lot less detail in this campaign than we got in the kickstarter. Maybe it's just a feeling.

They elaborated a lot more during the span of the campaign than in the immediate beginning. We'll see a lot more stuff coming out at this rate.

evilmiera
Dec 14, 2009

Harrow posted:

I think the only other real option would be to do like The Witcher series does: start you at level 1, but make all the numbers higher and all the starting abilities flashier so that, in-universe, you're still really strong. You'd start out fighting nastier monsters than you did at level 1 in the first game, and even though you'd have a much smaller number of abilities than you did at level 16 in PoE1 (because otherwise new players would be completely overwhelmed), the health/damage numbers would be comparable to level 16 in PoE1, so you can more easily feel like you're at the same level of power.

Functionally, though, it doesn't really matter how they do it, and "Eothas ate your power because he is a jerk" is a good enough justification for me. We can just assume Eder's out of practice from chilling in his village smoking his pipe all the time, Aloth lost his spellbook, and, I dunno, Pallegina joins later so she can be a slightly higher level?

Sure, not saying the justification is in any way bad. Just saying I like carrying stuff over that isn't just decisions.

evilmiera
Dec 14, 2009

No. NO! I thought we were safe. Do not go down that dark route.

evilmiera
Dec 14, 2009

Scorchy posted:

So we're still at encounters 1/6th smaller :(

Hope you're into cloacas

Who isn't?

In all honesty I may be overreacting. Like with anything else, with enough effort put in it could work.

evilmiera
Dec 14, 2009

Helith posted:

Eder :allears:

I knew I made the right decision backing this! So glad that there's going to be a sequel and congrats to Obsidian for getting it funded so quickly, shows how much we love you!
Also I'm happy that party size is getting smaller as I found managing 6 to be a bit of a chore at times as I'd forget what everyone could do and encounters were really frequent. I also agonise over making leveling up choices so 1 less will make the game go a bit faster for me!

Really happy they got the money they needed so quick, but I also hope they'll make their "dream" goal of , what was it, 2.2 mil or something? Trying to look through my steam list for interested people at the moment.

evilmiera
Dec 14, 2009

Tomorrows Ace posted:

didn't obsidian discover that large expansions just aren't worth it financially anymore. Think if anything they'd do a round of dlc like they did for new Vegas

Maybe. I think the bigger problem might be they are a financial risk more than a complete miss. Probably depends on the number of pledges.

evilmiera
Dec 14, 2009

marshmallow creep posted:

Imagine Deus Ex gameplay with Alpha Protocol reactivity.

Why must you make me suffer for not having the millions of dollars to make that happen? :(

evilmiera
Dec 14, 2009

Litany Unheard posted:

You can up my pledge by another $50. In exchange I demand an extra vote on our dumb pet/item.

And no one is speculating on the most important factoid from that stream: we'll be able to do something with all of our extra pets! Petting zoo? Pet combat arena? Eder opens a pet store? I'm pretty excited.

Just pledged 20 more bucks, up to 200 bucks total from me to this fig so far. But it'll be worth it.

evilmiera
Dec 14, 2009

Now we only need 234k more and we'll have reached the level of what Obsidian "really" wanted to make their game properly. We thinking they'll hit that in a week and change?

evilmiera
Dec 14, 2009

Enigmatic Cakelord posted:

Where did you get the 2.2 million number being what they really wanted from? They'll probably hit it quicker than a week, but overall I don't see them going much beyond 3 million unless they get the full fig funds amount. So, Pillars will get more backers and pledges than Wasteland, but it isn't going to beat it by much, if at all. It's a little sad.

I do not quite remember actually, but I do recall seeing the number bandied about on one of the sites announcing the fig.

evilmiera
Dec 14, 2009

Scrolls were the only way to beat some fights in solo potd don't ruin my dream

evilmiera
Dec 14, 2009

tithin posted:

@Rope Kid - if I wanted to buy the $200 tier, is it possible to do it in installments (ala Path of Exile) or does it need to be all at once.

I think your only recourse here would be to pool your money together with someone else, rather than arrange some kind of pay-by-month scheme. That or save up some dough and try to pledge late.

Edit: Also not seeing as many backers as last time, but approximately the same amount of money. I'm presuming it is a response to it being on fig, and having better pledge tiers earlier.

evilmiera fucked around with this message at 13:26 on Feb 5, 2017

evilmiera
Dec 14, 2009

Dolash posted:

There should be a magic hat that's just four lesser magic hats stacked on top of each other. I know there's usually some sort of implicit "oh magic items can't be close to each other" rule in fantasy settings that keeps people from blinging out with twenty magic rings and eight amulets, but every so often it'd be fun to break that rule.

Honestly? While it makes some sense that magical items would mess with each other, I always felt like there really shouldn't be a reason you couldn't turn your adventuring party into wandering balls of magical felt, plate and glass. I mean, the system to handle all that poo poo would be ENORMOUS and massively complicated, but that would only really be a problem if you cared all that much about balance: You could create some kind of "general power variable" that had an impact on enemies in whatever way you so choose, and still let your players wade into combat wielding two swords with other weapons welded on each, 3 rings on each finger and covered in 4 different layers of magical clothing (included the dreaded golden pantaloons). All the while plastered with scrolls of protection of some kind covering every surface large enough. Of course at that point you're essentially playing a tech priest in Warhammer 40k but when has that ever been a problem?

evilmiera
Dec 14, 2009

Hieronymous Alloy posted:

Different feather options that give different bonuses

I hadn't even thought of that. And obviously, magical dye that gives bonuses like, red to move faster in combat and the like.

And some kind of auto-injector for potions. Probably in the shape of those hats being used now during Superbowl to keep the beerflow going.

evilmiera
Dec 14, 2009

It is a tricky situation for sure. I went with each option I could think of with different characters and it turned out alright.

evilmiera
Dec 14, 2009

2.2 is indeed hit and it is glorious. 3 million should be easy enough to achieve by the end of the campaign, at the very least. 3.3-3.5 is doable.

evilmiera
Dec 14, 2009

Harrow posted:

I recall reading that the level scaling will be completely optional but apply to the whole game, but I can't find where I read that.

Sincerely hope so. As people mentioned it has some bad history and I'd rather avoid it when possible.

evilmiera
Dec 14, 2009

Aardark posted:

Holy poo poo, all that garbage was actually written by Obsidian people? :psyduck: Well at least they learned their lesson I guess.

edit: if I sound unreasonably pissed about this, it's because I didn't understand what the golden-named NPCs were at first, and actually spent the time to read their dumb stories until like halfway through the game.

More like"here take this garbage and make it less terrible"

evilmiera
Dec 14, 2009

We'll move on to the new system for weight instead of using the slowly degrading sample we're using now.

evilmiera
Dec 14, 2009

StashAugustine posted:

I'm actually bothering to finish the game rn and the #1 thing I'm excited for is faster loading times

It is widely requested, and pretty awesome of a change.

evilmiera
Dec 14, 2009

That is probably the case.

If it isn't, wow. Not that I will ever get The UItimate, but I did get a few other hard-to-get ones.

evilmiera
Dec 14, 2009

SunAndSpring posted:

On RPG Codex. Might be wrong (I haven't been there in forever now), but I generally am suspicious of people who go around parading Nazi stuff around because they usually end up being Nazis rather than people just very interested in Hugo Boss's fashion designs from the 1930's-1940's.

As far as I can tell, the only fascists in Decadence are the Imperial Guard, and they are never portrayed as anything but assholes. But then most everyone in that game is an rear end in a top hat so it could be hard to say.

evilmiera
Dec 14, 2009

I liked the story quite a bit. It presented its message well enough and the only real criticism is what people already mentioned, that Thaos was a bit too distant from what was going on.

evilmiera
Dec 14, 2009

2house2fly posted:

Iovara does say that(http://puu.sh/u1VjD/9ca4ff79f3.png). The twist reveal is that the big authority figures in your life don't have any inherent right to tell you what to do.
The most common criticism I've heard of FNV's story is that getting shot in the head by a dude is a motivation to avoid him more than to track him down.

And that's a pretty neat reveal and a cool idea. I don't think New Vegas main story was awesome or anything, but it was nicely reactive which I can appreciate in a different way.

evilmiera
Dec 14, 2009

Litany Unheard posted:

It depends. We don't and won't know what agreement Obsidian and Fig have. It could be that Fig is using their $2.25 million investment pledge as a matching fund, which means Obsidian won't see it unless they get pledges equal to that amount.

Or an additional half million will be dropped on them on the last day of funding, shooting them past two or three stretch goals. :shrug:

Fig's operations are a lot more opaque than Kickstarter, so there's no way to know for certain.

I think they'll still get the usual rush of pledges in the last two days that you see on Kickstarter. They'll want to have a media blitz timed for that, of course, so that latecomers come pouring in.

I wouldn't be surprised to see them end up passing $4 million, though it wouldn't be by much.

I'm thinking 3.4 at the very least, around 4 with possible hidden investment pledges and best scenarios counted in.

evilmiera
Dec 14, 2009

FreeKillB posted:

e:^^^^^^^ The only problem with that is that using companions at all rules out the canonical party, which is a PC and four adventurers that are all ranger/druid to field 10 bears.

Rope kid dating sim confirmed!

From fig comments:

There are no depths a proper developer won't go to get his project funded. Including dates with Codex forumites.

evilmiera
Dec 14, 2009

2house2fly posted:

Quick, someone ask him for story spoilers while he's feeling loquacious

No, just send him several bottles of vodka and get him talking about a random nation on the globe.

evilmiera
Dec 14, 2009

I am a little confused as to why the Pillars Twitter and Facebook followers thing isn't doing better. Do all us RPG fans really not have any friends?

Oh.

:thejoke:

evilmiera
Dec 14, 2009

Ginette Reno posted:

Druids are extremely strong, especially once you get access to the storm spells. Just about any encounter can be trivialized by mass stunning huge groups of enemies at once and then ripping up their casters with your Shapeshift.

Druids are indeed the Archers of Pillars. Had such an easy time of it the last time I ran a group of only druids, my enemy ended up being the framerate rather than the enemies themselves.

evilmiera
Dec 14, 2009

Prokhor Zakharov posted:

Just hit $2.8, pity those who are gonna have to write all those subclass/class combos.

We were at 50 k from that just a few minutes ago, must've been one of those investor jumps.

evilmiera
Dec 14, 2009

Scent of Worf posted:

Link to Twitter/Facebook?

They should both be on the fig, if not, they're on Obsidian's latest few tweets, I think. I'll see if I can find the proper links in a second.

https://twitter.com/WorldofEternity for Twitter

https://www.facebook.com/TheWorldofEternity/?fref=ts for Facebook, like that one

evilmiera
Dec 14, 2009

Litany Unheard posted:

Maybe the third cancellation will be the charm?

This is just Codextalk. Once the game nears completion you'll see all these pledges for collector's editions falling out of their pockets, Codexers sighing as they draw their wallets out to make the effort of buying every edition and disdainfully playing the game, but totally against their will you understand.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

evilmiera
Dec 14, 2009

Scent of Worf posted:

Wow I didn't think the campaign would make anywhere near as much this time around because crowdfunding seems to have died down a lot, and because it wasn't on Kickstarter, but the game's 15k away from 3 million and still has five days left.

Congrats, rope kid. Glad the campaign has done so well.

There was a massive jump in funding again today, so it was probably a result of unlocking some tier of investment money again. Glad to see it of course, even if it makes the campaign a bit hard to follow sometimes. They'll reach my projected 3.4 without much trouble at this rate. Possibly upwards of 4 if we're lucky.

• Locked thread