Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Zore
Sep 21, 2010
willfully illiterate, aggressively miserable sourpuss whose sole raison d’etre is to put other people down for liking the wrong things
I'm excited for the implication of more animal companions including birds.

Also hopefully better guns so I can go full pirate-Ranger.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Zore
Sep 21, 2010
willfully illiterate, aggressively miserable sourpuss whose sole raison d’etre is to put other people down for liking the wrong things

CottonWolf posted:

Also, no soulbound guns at all. An error. I'm in the middle (just going to the White March with all the base content done) of a run with an aquebusier Bleak Walker Aumaua, and she basically gets two shots off in the entire fight, even with the gunner perk. I've ended up speccing her to basically act as a sniper, to try and take out one enemy each with each shot, but I'm still not sure it makes up for the relative weakness of guns. It's a cool enough concept that I don't really mind, but the rest of the party's definitely carrying me.

Yeah even Rangers with their -reload stance and a friendly chanter giving the reload buff are still too slow to use guns as anything but alpha strike weapons.

Doesn't help Powder Burn is terrible especially compared to twin shot.

Zore
Sep 21, 2010
Yeah I love the idea of multiclassing, in theory, but there's a lot of weird knock on effects because of how PoE handled power spikes.

Like will dipping Ranger be a no brainer as you get a pet or will the pet scale heavily with Ranger level meaning it'd be near useless and Rangers would gimp themselves by going out of type?

Low level Cipher and priest dipping seems like a no brainer for most classes too considering how insane their low level abilities are etc.

Zore
Sep 21, 2010

Scorchy posted:

I'm one of the few people who liked Rangers in PoE1. I hope we see expanded options for ranged pets, burrowing/teleporting pets, flying pets, and no pets.

Same. I love pets and pet classes.

My fondest hope for PoE2 is being able to have more than 1 pet at a time somehow. Also to have a giant bat as a pet.

Then again my second fondest hope is for a Xaurip companion, so I feel I am destined to be extremely disappointed :(

Zore
Sep 21, 2010

CottonWolf posted:

Friendly Xaurip are canon. The herbalist at Ansilog's Compass has one as a friend. But as they're sentient, I presume them being a ranger pet is out of the question, given the weird implications that would have. We could hope for a Xaurip companion, but I'd still rather a Vithrak companion if they were going for one of the "monsters".

Oh, I meant as a fully fledged companion like Eder, not an animal companion.

I feel like that would be fun and cool. I'm still sad we can't save the poisoned one on the first floor of the endless paths.

Zore
Sep 21, 2010
6K backers and over 620k raised so far.

Man there are a lot of people pledging a ton of money aren't there?

Zore
Sep 21, 2010

Jerusalem posted:

Hey dumb question from an idiot here - I assume the digital copy will be offered as a Steam Key, right?

Yeah, they did a choice of steam and GOG last time and I can't imagine not doing that again.

Zore
Sep 21, 2010

ZearothK posted:

Okay, is there a link to an interview or short explanation of what happened? I didn't even know Chris "Living Stretch-Goal" Avellone had broken up with Obsidian.

No one's openly talked about it but from some things that have been said it seems Avellone is pissy that a bunch of his content and ideas were cut in PoE and he just seems to be on a different wavelength from everyone there now.

Also he's bought his own hype and is being an insufferable rear end in a top hat on twitter now.

Zore
Sep 21, 2010
Also, they've broken a mil on Fig and are likely to meet goal within the next hour or two.

Zore
Sep 21, 2010
I wonder if your background will have any real impact on this game? I'm guessing not a lot, but you can pick to be from Deadfire and even be part of the Aristocracy (current or former) which is kinda neat.

I just started a new playthrough with that background just to import for any potential goodies.

Zore
Sep 21, 2010

bitmap posted:

no argument on the torment point but come on dude the Grieving Mother story was metal as hell and right up to the bitter end not one other character in the party even knew she was there. It was brilliant.

That just felt lazy, like they wanted to have a character but didn't want to bother having to write any party interactions.

Zore
Sep 21, 2010

Mr.Pibbleton posted:

El Presidente (chanter) and his bodyguards Bear Force One (4 rangers with bears) will do juuust fine with the new party size limitation.

I just hope bears don't suck in PoE2. Its a bit depressing that they and lions are so bad in comparison to Wolves/Stags.

Zore
Sep 21, 2010
So, wait, does 2 subclasses mean you can be a Ranger that focuses on 'Animal Companion' or 'Shooting poo poo' or does it tie into the multiclass system?

Like you can be a Ranger with a Cipher and Wizard subclass?

:confused:

Zore
Sep 21, 2010

Hieronymous Alloy posted:

I feel like we are getting a lot less detail in this campaign than we got in the kickstarter. Maybe it's just a feeling.

To be fair it has been less than a day and they blew through funding, I expect an update in a few hours.

I just like to try and figure out what poo poo means before that point.

Also, while a lot of classes have very obvious subclass potential (Ranger w/ animal vs. shooting, Druid w/ shapeshift vs spells, Chanters w/ phrases vs chants etc) I wonder what it'll be for things like Ciphers, Wizards or Rogues who really don't seem to have two 'lanes' of things. Maybe archetypes like battlewizard vs squishy spellslinger?

Zore fucked around with this message at 18:19 on Jan 27, 2017

Zore
Sep 21, 2010

Samuel Clemens posted:

The best ranged option for pure damage is a unique Hunting Bow, though there are several good Warbows as well (and a lot of good implements if you want something a bit more novel). Keep in mind that ranged Rogues will generally lag behind the damage output of melee characters, though, so you'll never set the world on fire with your DPS.

I thought the best ranged option was Stormcaller?

Zore
Sep 21, 2010

Harrow posted:

It's possible they'll pare back the amount of abilities and talents in the base classes so that subclasses aren't so much "here's even more stuff," but instead, "pick these subclasses to play basically the same as you did in PoE1; pick these other subclasses to play differently." That'd be a reasonable way to prevent ability bloat, at least.

Their examples are pretty radically different at least. I wonder if there will be basic versions of the classes available too if they're evoking kits or if its just 1 subclass is the PoE1 version and the other is the newer stuff?

Zore
Sep 21, 2010

This is a really really good point

I think Chanters could fill the role with a bit of a rework. They already have a strong passive heal and the ability to spit out buffs in their chants, just give us some chants that can do things like some of the more important priest spells (suppress fear, remove mind control etc) and you could dynamically switch between them in battle.

Not as focused as a priest but it'd be worthwhile and still have the Chanter identity.

Zore
Sep 21, 2010

SunAndSpring posted:

I wonder if we'll get a companion that isn't a humanoid this time around.

Well we already know there are 6 companions (7 with the stretch)

Aloth, Eder and Pallegina. New girl if that goal gets met. The dual-gun orlan and what looks like a hunter Amauma featuring with the returning crew leads me to suspect they're also companions.

So there is an unaccounted slot. I really doubt they'll do something cool with it, much as I love Obsidian they tend towards weird conservatism with their companions. It'll probably be a dwarf of some kind since thats the only playable species not represented now.

Zore
Sep 21, 2010

CottonWolf posted:

Nah, I'm calling it now. A vithrak cipher.

If it was a Xaurip monk/barbarian i would buy 20 copies.

Zore
Sep 21, 2010
I chose to be an Orlan Deadfire aristocrat who went to the Dyrwood because people found out we just bought our way into the nobility last time I played.

Lotta great story hooks there, but I doubt it'll even be acknowledged considering its just one of dozens of potential backgrounds.

Zore
Sep 21, 2010

ProfessorCirno posted:

The actual best change that could be made to PoE2 as far as graphics go isn't making the characters look better, it's giving each one a toggle to show their helmets or not.

No, its giving us vanity helmet slots.

Or spreading the cool bonuses around instead of shoving them all on poo poo tier helmets and leather caps while your big poofy tricones, or cool furry hoods are stuck with nothing :argh:

Zore
Sep 21, 2010
I think they learned their lesson from last time.

And I'm really glad they aren't going to try to strongarm something like the original stronghold in again.

also lol multiplayer as a stretch goal.

Zore
Sep 21, 2010

is there any reason not to kill the fampyr on od nua level 8?

No, not really.

always kill them for having a stupid :iamafag:'look its not a Vampire!':iamafag: name anyways

I know they're technically distinct but its not like we have Aelfs and Dorves running around considering how far they are from more traditional depictions.

Zore fucked around with this message at 05:26 on Jan 31, 2017

Zore
Sep 21, 2010

Power Bottom posted:

rope kid, how does the "two sub-classes" thing work? Will a pure class be able to take two, or is it for multiclass only (i.e. a fighter/rogue can take one fighter subclass and one rogue subclass)?

It means every class has two subclasses which function like BG2 kits if you've played that. So you can be a normal Ranger or a Ghost Heart Lodge Ranger which loses the permanent animal companion in exchange for being able to summon a stronger spirit one for limited duration in combat.

The only other subclass they've revealed is a monk one that gets bigger bonuses from drugs in exchange for having a harder time generating wounds.

Zore
Sep 21, 2010

Harrow posted:

Well, you could multiclass him a couple of ranger levels...

Unfortunately you can't. Eder can only be a Fighter or Rogue, much like Xoti can only be a Preist or Monk. Its explained in the multiclassing thing that some companions basically get prechosen multiclasses.

Aloth on the other hand can be Wizard/anything.

Zore
Sep 21, 2010

Enigmatic Cakelord posted:

That's their first level, after that they can also be anything.

Ah, misunderstood that.

Decent way to get all the classes represented though considering how many fewer companions there are than PoE1. And I am totally going to make Eder into a Rogue1/Ranger15 with the fluffiest pet.

Zore
Sep 21, 2010
I loved some of the crazy stuff you could pull off with 3.5 multiclassing, and if you had an absurd amount of system mastery you could do some really cool builds.

Because of all the splatbooks there were a hilarious number of edge cases and ways to qualify for prestige classes that were unintended. It was great if you liked to spend time working on character building as a long-form puzzle. It also let you build out fun and unsupported archetypes and do things like make a monk that actually functioned (by not having to take any levels in the lovely monk class) etc.

It was atrocious if you didn't have system mastery/were only multiclassing 2 base classes together/were only using the core rules which is basically what this looks like. I'll reserve judgement until we get more details but as of right now I'm not seeing a reason to really dip more than a level or 2.

Zore fucked around with this message at 17:43 on Feb 1, 2017

Zore
Sep 21, 2010
Honestly if you aren't making everyone 16 Ranger or 1x/15 Ranger for MAXIMUM PARTY MEMBERS I question what you're even doing with your life.

It even fixes the lower party limit since you get 10 characters to control!

Zore
Sep 21, 2010

Samuel Clemens posted:

I don't know, having six level 1 pets is just gonna make me really sad because they'll be slaughtered over and over again in the endgame.

That's why you go max levels in Ranger so your pets are good.

Zore
Sep 21, 2010

Chairchucker posted:

Ghost Lodge rangers are an interesting concept but the fact that you have to actually choose to level up a ranger to a class with a dead pet is just terrible.

You don't? Subclasses are picked from the start, if you're a Ghost Lodge Ranger you never had a regular pet in game. You start with the ability to summon the spirit version of your dead pet from your offscreen tragic backstory.

Or in the Watcher's case, from it being killed when the statue beneath Od Nua ripped its way out of the ground.

Zore
Sep 21, 2010

2house2fly posted:

So just to make sure I'm clear, you pick a class at the start of the game, then you have three options: main class and two subclasses. Then when you level up you can choose to level up as a different class, but that's always main class only.

The first part yes.

I don't know if the second part is confirmed yet or if you can have subclasses for your second class. I don't see why they'd restrict that beyond the fact the Infinity games did.

Zore
Sep 21, 2010
If Eothas kills my baby(toddler/child?) during the prologue I will be very pissed.

:colbert:

Zore
Sep 21, 2010

Scorchy posted:

^ Agreed

Also, is there any point to casters using their weapons in this system?

I would imagine to do damage if spell damage is being toned down because they're per encounter. Also we might be getting only 1 or 2 casts per level.

Zore
Sep 21, 2010
I feel like a lot of you are getting weird about these changes. They honestly all sound fantastic from where I'm sitting.

:shrug:

Zore
Sep 21, 2010

Scorchy posted:

We got a preview of a lot of this in Tyranny and the whole playing I was thinking, I don't know why they changed this from PoE, it worked a lot better there.

For me PoE sits in the realm of stuff like Civilization, X-COM, and Dark Souls, where there's a lot of counterintuitive design that ends up working really well. Navigating that complexity is part of the gameplay and is rewarding in itself, something that manifests over the long course of the running time of the game and onto replays. Unfortunately it's a lot harder to articulate why that's rewarding, as opposed to like, justifying why the instant gratification of button-awesome feels good. The latter is far more intuitive but I don't think it's the proper direction.

Its still significantly different from Tyranny in that we have per encounter abilities rather than cooldowns. Not to mention the whole reason Tyranny ended up with spammy combat was;

1) Lack of enemy variety meant everything was roughly as effective in every encountet
2)Vastly more limited abilities and spell slots (6 spells max) meant they were far more generalized as opposed to the specific niches they are in PoE

Neither of those seem true of PoE2 so far.

Zore
Sep 21, 2010

Chairchucker posted:

I'm somewhat curious as to what the in-universe justification for how spells get into a grimoire in the first place is, given they now can't be changed in game.

Scribing them takes time and special inks that you don't have time for as an adventurer?

Zore
Sep 21, 2010
'Mediocre games for mediocre people' I think perfectly encapsulates the Obsidian fans I cannot loving stand who tie so much of their identity into how much their wizard games are better than thise loving popular plebian wizard games inferiors make.

Liking or not liking a video game doesn't make you a superior person. Holy poo poo

Zore fucked around with this message at 21:38 on Feb 2, 2017

Zore
Sep 21, 2010
Also casts and effects can be more limited since things are per encounter. Having 2 level 5 spells to cast makes encounters more tactical in many ways because you can't do the old 'save up all your casts and chain-gently caress the boss' by resting befor it

Zore
Sep 21, 2010

Power Bottom posted:

I really loving hope they don't mess with how Endurance/Health works. I love that system - it's brilliant and simple.

They did.

It seems to work like DA: Origins now where you get injuries on knockout

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Zore
Sep 21, 2010

Random rear end in a top hat posted:

My problem with the wizard changes is it's very hard to balance a lot of cool wizard spells per-encounter. Like Slicken, for example: I can cast a spell that knocks every enemy on their rear end four times an encounter, every encounter? If you do that in PE1 it trivializes most fights (give it a try sometime!). So how does that spell work in the new system?

I'm not so concerned for other caster classes because they can do other things in addition to casting, Druids (and to a lesser extent Priests) are capable melee fighters and both have a wide array of non-spell abilities. Wizards, on the other hand, produce cool effects by casting spells, that's their entire deal, so changes to spellcasting hit Wizards much harder.

One solution is that empowered wizard spells can have additional effects, for example slicken could normally be 'causes [slow movement, for ex.]' and the empowered version is 'causes [slow movement] and trips'. I'd be down for that, but that requires a lot more effort then just increasing damage or debuff duration for each spell and I guess I'm just traumatized by games like Marvel: Heroes (to pick a current example) who always implement the solution that takes the least amount of effort. "Alright, we've changed how basically everything in the game works, do we extensively rework this character to be fun and engaging in the new system, or... *eyes drift over to big red button labeled This Character Is Bad And Not Fun Now"

I'm not despairing or anything, because if there is one company I trust to get this right it's Obsidian (or more specifically JSawyer), I'm just really hoping that the Empower system is more then 'does what the ability does already, but slightly better'. The more flexibility it gives, the better Wizards will be.

I'm going to guess one of the balancing mechanisms is cutting the number of spells per level to 1 or 2 per encounter instead of 4+.

Otherwise you'd have the insanity of like 40 per encounter spells you literally could never spend. Having like 15 with 1 of higher level spells makes things a lot more interesting.

It'd also make bonus spell talents a lot more effective and powerful.

• Locked thread