Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
mitochondritom
Oct 3, 2010

God Anomen was a dick. If I remember right you could recruit Keldorn and Anomen into a party together and they will have a dialogue wherein Keldorn basically tells Anomen he is a total pussy and will never be a real Paladin. I think a lot of the BG2 cast is overrated (Jan, Minsc, Aerie and Jaheria in particular) but some of the lesser used NPCs were really good (Mazzy, Keldorn, Anomen). I actually liked the drier NPC's in POE over the more wacky ones (mainly Aloth) or the gimmick one (Grieving Mother). Durance was the standout though by a mile.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

mitochondritom
Oct 3, 2010

Avalerion posted:

The old poe thread did have a guy who refused to rest in bg2, when he was describing his elaborate kitting tactics it made it sound like a completely different game. Was kind of funny but I'm starting to see how your playstyle and self imposed limitations like that can make two people discuss this from vastly different positions. Like maybe on potd halt and barbs of condemnation are actually good and usefull spells.

Must be that much harder to balance too since you kind of have to catter to both camps.

Was that Sensuki? The guy who spent all the time beta-testing and reporting bugs and then disliked the game so much he didn't finish it? I recall he had an IWD playthrough on youtube where the way he played was so so different to me or anyone I know. He knew the whole thing inside out though, that's for sure.

mitochondritom
Oct 3, 2010

Mr.Pibbleton posted:

Barbarians with stacks of jolting touch.
:allears:

I made it my goal this year to stop replaying my favourite games and try more new stuff in my steam backlog, but drat if comments like this don't have me itching to re-download Pillars an make a 6 man Wizard Barbarian party...

mitochondritom
Oct 3, 2010

Hieronymous Alloy posted:

Why do y'all think PoE 2 has fewer backers, then?

I backed quite a few things on Kickstarter, Pillars was by far the best of them and by far the one that delivered on almost everything they promised (release date notwithstanding). I haven't backed Deadfire yet even though it looks incredible and is immediately my most anticipated title for the future. Why? Well a few reasons, it got funded really quickly and seems like it would be coming out regardless of the Fig campaigns success, so it doesn't appear my pledge is absolutely required to help fund it. Backing Project Eternity back in 2012 was such an easy choice for me, I wanted to help out Obsidian, I wanted to show that there is an appetite for Infinity Engine games and I was also caught up in the whole "Kickstarter" phenomenon. Its ~ 4 years later and I am older and less caught up in hype and more willing to wait, the game will come out, but it might be a turkey or bug filled. I am more patient now and could wait for a few patches or DLC until diving in at probably a cheaper price. Finally I initially was going to back the project, but Fig wouldn't let me use my UK debit card for some reason and has no option for something like PayPal. So a few reasons there from someone who adored Pillars 1 and backed project eternity from the first few hours of the original campaign.

mitochondritom
Oct 3, 2010

I actually think the Stretch Goals this time round are well considered such that they can be delivered upon. I backed Torment and from the sounds of it despite raising millions of $$ they have made a total hash of it and had to axe a lot of stuff, including the stretch goals. Frankly I think that is a bit scummy, especially because they went back to fund other projects on Kickstarter despite internally knowing they couldn't manage their current stuff properly.

mitochondritom
Oct 3, 2010

Hieronymous Alloy posted:

But you won't get the special pet which I am assuming is the obsidian dragon

I can speak as one who knows: not having the obsidian dragon is actively painful

I hear you and my watcher always looked dashing in his Obsidian cape. I am leaning towards backing it really, just because I am so confident that Obsidian will deliver and also I really enjoyed reading the backer updates etc.

mitochondritom
Oct 3, 2010

I cannot fathom being disappointed by project eternity but then "fully satisfied" with Shadowrun Returns. I think HBS did an amazing job with Dragonfall and Hong Kong, but their first one was terrible. It had about 6 hours of content and lacked any semblance of challenging gameplay. I can't remember a single character from it, did it even have permanent NPC companions? Also if you actually endure it to the end, gently caress you there are bugs you can only kill with some stupid gun that you probably can't aim for poo poo with. It was truly terrible, it does such a disservice to its sequels it could be removed from Steam and probably improve the image of the company.

Edit: I looked back at the original Shadowrun Returns kickstarter and holy poo poo it must have been easy money, the campaign wouldn't even have been funded based on the standards of today. I noticed after they got 2x their asking goal they vaguely offered a second city "hub" type thing, which I assume became Berlin in Dragonfall. If that's what happened, then I can totally understand being satisfied with the Kickstarter.

mitochondritom fucked around with this message at 00:16 on Feb 9, 2017

mitochondritom
Oct 3, 2010

Oh yea, I cannot stress enough how good Dragonfall and Hongkong are relative to Returns. If you played Returns and correctly realised it wasn't great so ignored the sequels you should acquire them post-haste. I really hope if they make a new Shadowrun game in the future they use a different engine, the one they have is really crap.

mitochondritom
Oct 3, 2010

Dolash posted:

Also going to predict there'll be a Jonah story, except instead of just superstition a real god will actually be mad at someone on your ship and you have to do something about it.

To be honest with all you learn about the nature of the Gods, you should be able to build your own at this point. You've got an Adra statue that can apparently contain a Gods' worth of essence and in at least one of the endings the souls that were going to go to Woedica are still around. This pantheon needs someone with some sense to take charge.

Edit: Take a page from one of the endings of Tyranny and pick one of your companions to shove in there and take charge of the other souls. Eder would probably do okay as God-King, but they'd really have to bring back Durance for this.

I can only imagine how pissed off Durance would be if you somehow apotheosized him.

mitochondritom
Oct 3, 2010

Litany Unheard posted:

That's Cwineth.

Ydwin is a Pale Elf that was created as a sidekick specifically for Pillars II.

Ydwin is a character in the Lords of the Eastern Reach board game. I guess he might have been a dev character or something.

mitochondritom
Oct 3, 2010

CottonWolf posted:

Ydwin's female.

Yes, you are right. I got confused with these dudes. To many yng ywd words...

mitochondritom
Oct 3, 2010

Lt. Danger posted:

Lotta whining in this post.

He isn't wrong though, the Avellone fetishism is a bit much at times.

mitochondritom
Oct 3, 2010

I agree, I think PST is amazing and a huge achievement by Chris Avellone and the other members of the team who made it. In fact the recent "spiritual successor" shows (at least to me) that you cannot replicate something like that just on a whim. He is obviously talented, but I guess I am trying to say that he isn't the only talent around. I loved Old World Blues, I hated Ulysses. I liked Kreia, but didn't like the Grieving Mother. To my tastes his characters can be a bit hit or miss. I did really enjoy the "Waal" novella he wrote for Pillars though. It made me want to read a full on Avellone novel, though not necessarily set in any "game" universe.

mitochondritom
Oct 3, 2010

The pitch is amazing, I cannot believe that they managed to get the go ahead with it. Just shows how insane the 90's must have been. Can you imagine someone leaking that pitch today with quotes like this in it:

Torment posted:

“Oooooh.
Masturbation. Now
there’s something
you can‟t do at
home.”

mitochondritom
Oct 3, 2010

As a counter to the above posters I really liked Meneha, I thought she was fairly cheery in a "Minsc" esque sort of way. She also became my parties MVP towards the end wielding The Hours of St. Rumbalt. Maneha was pretty much single handedly responsible for bringing the population of Lagufaeth from least concern to critically endangered in the White March region. She was just obscenely strong.

mitochondritom
Oct 3, 2010

Entropy238 posted:

You're doing yourself a disservice by not playing through the White March content. It's hands down the best part of the game and introduces most of the cool items and abilities.

I would like to second this poster's comment. In particular points 1 (though IWD not BG), 3,4 , 6 and 7 are either continued or improved upon in WM parts 1 and 2. The DLCs were for me the best parts of the game when all was said and done.

mitochondritom
Oct 3, 2010

Just so you guys know, if you backed Pillars 2 and got the 50 % off Tyranny coupon, it appears to stack with the 33 % off sale on Paradox store right now. I picked it up for ~ £12 which seems like a good deal.

mitochondritom
Oct 3, 2010

I am just about done with Torment and without wanting to reveal ~spoilers~ for myself going into the 6 months post release Tyranny thread, which is the best class to play as in Tyranny? I basically know nothing about it other than its set in the bronze age (sort of?) with purple crystals all over the place (from the screenshots).

mitochondritom
Oct 3, 2010

Don't care about anime elf woman, but sea monsters and fishing better make it in :colbert:

mitochondritom
Oct 3, 2010

Accretionist posted:

Playing the expansions for the first time. WMI rules pretty hard so far. I've given Pallegina St. Ydwen's Redeemer and this poo poo is thoroughly good.

Yes, amazing. I had Pallegina as a mace / shield tank but I kitted out Maneha with this Sword and holy balls it was amazing. I want to just skip out the temple of Eothas in my next playthrough then get this sword ASAP and go back to hack ghost assholes out of existence with an Eothesian Priest watcher specced into swords.

mitochondritom
Oct 3, 2010

Furism posted:

You're gonna be disappointed then because the Redeemer destroys Vessels, not Spirits. You'll have a blast in Durgan's Battery though (especially on a Barbarian since Carnages propagates the proc to all the enemies in melee range).

Yes and upon booting up the game and loading my old save to check out its stats I have realised Priests cannot use the sword anyway!

mitochondritom
Oct 3, 2010

The more I see of PoE2, the more I think this could be the BG2 style improvement everyone is hoping for. I played Baldurs Gate 1 when I was probably 10 or 11 years old and not wise to the hype or marketing of video games, finding that BG2 not only existed, but was released in Tesco blew my and my brothers minds. We were obsessed with it. What I am saying is, I am so ready for Pillars 2!

mitochondritom
Oct 3, 2010

Entropy238 posted:

Yeah I'm definitely getting the PoE 2 will be a boost in quality over PoE1 like BG2 was a boost in quality over BG1 vibe.

Id dare say that Pillars 1 is already a better game (with expansions installed) than BG1. The main thing dragging the BG series down is quality of life issues imo, that and some of the more ridiculous 2EAD&D rules like 5 minute long affliction durations etc ...

I don't disagree but for me, personally, the sweet hit of nostalgia is too strong from BG1. I think I know that game inside out I have played it so many times. I am also an unashamed heathen who uses Beam Dogs Enhanced Edition for its instant save / reload and general ease of use qualities.

mitochondritom
Oct 3, 2010

Entropy238 posted:

It's kind of funny that the Pillars ruleset ended up being more complicated than BG's version of 2EAD&D.

Want to calculate your weapon damage while dual wielding in one round (6 secs) in BG1? (STR Bonus + Damage on Weapon) * (APR -1) * ResistValue, then one attack of the off-hand weapon.

Want to calculate your weapon damage in the same amount of time in Pillars? Time to whip out the spreadsheets motherfucker.

I'm not complaining though – where Pillars ends up as regards different weapon styles and weapon damage is actually very nice and balanced (after sabres got nerfed), but boy howdy is it complicated.

The best thing about Pillars for me is that I can make a wizard who uses sabers or something like that. All the arbitary restrictions in BG begin to grate after a while. I also like how things like flails or maces are differentiated in what they can do, whereas in BG you just used whatever was the best damage and could basically ignore crush slash and pierce.

mitochondritom
Oct 3, 2010

One of the things the Torment Numenera game did really well was the consumables. I basically used them all the time, bombs, weird cyphers etc. Its strange because I knew they were one shot items so normally my hoarding sense would cause me to never use, but I went hog wild and had a blast. I've just started playing Tyranny and somewhat foolishly just picked Path of the Dammed to begin with and I am having to basically chug down liters of potions per encounter. I am enjoying the challenge of it though, its very hard.

mitochondritom
Oct 3, 2010

Under the vegetable posted:

My torches are lit and my pitchforks are ready.

I am writing my placard as I type.

mitochondritom
Oct 3, 2010

Samuel Clemens posted:

I don't think there are any stacking rules in Deadfire, because a lot of people had trouble figuring them out in the first game. Everything will stack with everything.

I hated the non stacking of effects in Pillars, all that supression stuff did my head in no end. Just let me stack it all up and make an ubermensch shark man please.

mitochondritom
Oct 3, 2010

2house2fly posted:

Probably better to link to the steamdb site which has nice clear graphs for every region: https://steamdb.info/app/291650/

It does seem a bit dickheadish to jack the price up 10 % just before you discount it for the Summer sale (UK prices) especially when the UK price is already inflated relative to the dollar on a now 3 year old game. Paradox do themselves no favors with these shenanigans and I think they will lose a lot of good will they have accrued if it keeps up. Them selling portraits for Tyranny at £4.50 a go is a joke too.

mitochondritom
Oct 3, 2010

I thought Sagani and Durance were the best characters who could join you in Pillars. I enjoyed all of them actually and agree with Basic Chunnel that the NPCs are somewhat conservative with the exception of the GM who is a complete weirdo. Aside from her you have Durance who is a raging heretic nutjob, but to me it never really felt that forced or ~wacky~ in a way Korgan or Edwin, the BG evil doers did. It was a breath of fresh air to have a bunch of regular dudes with you like Kana just on his quest to find scrolls.

mitochondritom
Oct 3, 2010

I hope it happens, same for Kana Rua as he should be around. The problem is that there are quite a few different end states for the companions in Pillars 1 and it might be to much work to incorporate all those permutations in meaningful way. I bet this one of the reasons Durance isn't front and center in the hunt for Eothas because a number of players will have either dumped him into Skaen's sacrifice pit or watched him immolate himself at the end of the game. That and he was partly written by Chris Avellone, who left Obsidian I guess.

mitochondritom
Oct 3, 2010

I liked Maneha and thought her character fit in well with the story of the White March and Ondra, but I had no idea why she was a barbarian other than ~we need a barbarian NPC~. She sort of nonchalantly talks about a barbarianing past and its just so at odds with her personality I cannot reconcile the two things. Giftbearer of Ondra should have been a special Priest / Ranger / Rogue / Chanter eqsue mash up unique to her.

mitochondritom
Oct 3, 2010

Those shoes that trigger healing combined with barbarian carnage can be potent.

mitochondritom
Oct 3, 2010

Jastiger posted:

Good points. THat "HOLY CRAP" Moment was kinda missing from PoE. I'm sure they are listening to us and it will all be there in POE 2.

I don't know about anyone else but the revelation that The gods aren't real was pretty much that moment for me. Coming after the bit in Twin Elms where you commune with them all was really effective and made me sit back to think what the hell was going on. I really enjoyed that part.

mitochondritom
Oct 3, 2010

You should do them, they are all cool encounters with amazing loot.

mitochondritom
Oct 3, 2010

Wicked Them Beats posted:

My favorite thing about Arcanum was watching Chris Avellone get killed by wolves for an hour.

Never forgiven him for not completing that drat Lets Play. I would love to see developers play through their own games more often. Avellone playing through PST or Josh going through Pillars 1.

mitochondritom
Oct 3, 2010

frajaq posted:

how can anyone like Sagani as a companion

Allow me to riposte with:

How can anyone dislike Sagani as a companion?

mitochondritom
Oct 3, 2010

User0015 posted:

There is exactly one thing DA:2 has that can be called good in any capacity, and that is when Varric is bullshitting Cassandra and the resulting gameplay is you playing as a hairy chested dwarf murdering waves of hapless mooks. It's not even a particularly good trick, but it has the tiniest glimmer of entertainment in that steaming pile BioWare shoveled out in the midst of it's own collapse.

DA:2 bad game.

Doesn't the sister character have enormous tits until Cassandra beats the tar out of him?

DA: 2 has some of the most obnoxious re-use of cave areas I have ever seen in a game. There is is this one goddam cave with a secret room that is only accessible in a specific version of that cave in a specific quest I think. Of course the first time you encounter "generic cave layout 1" you cannot get in this room, but you don't know about the egregious reuse of this cave layout yet, so you assume you can get in, wasting time trying to find the hidden button (button awesome, button awesome, button awesome).

People love to whinge about the Watcher in Pillars condition not being well reflected in their actions, but I never hear anyone giving Bioware gip for allowing PC Mages to spew their power (including the punishable by death Blood Magic) with zero consequence or reaction from the Templars (often in your team). Hell every NPC in the game should flee in terror at the slightest cantrip in case an abomination explodes out of you.

mitochondritom
Oct 3, 2010

Man I hope the bounties will return in Poe2. I have just been messing about with a POTD campaign to refamiliarise myself with the ~lore~ and characters before the sequel, but I have really enjoyed lots of these bounties. The White March one with the monks is absolutely brutal. Hopefully there is a similar POE Deadfire one with an OP party of broken multiclass combos.

mitochondritom
Oct 3, 2010

I can tell you what not to do. Have no camping logs and then accidentally deposit the spirit killing sword you find in the entrance directly into your stash :doh:.

My watcher Druid with the fire-sword spell and a mercenary rogue with a flame-lashed crossbow were doing good work in that area though (incidentally also in Eothas temple). Having Eder and Kana drink some bulwark against the element flask also made a huge huge difference against Wisps and such like. I had scraped together the ingredients from around the previous maps to make a few.

^ As the above guy said, sending in Eder with a Bulwark quaffed, then nuking him with some druidic fire is also great.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

mitochondritom
Oct 3, 2010

If there is one thing POTD is teaching me so far it's that hoarding potions is bad!

• Locked thread