Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Roobanguy
May 31, 2011

i am excited for this video game

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Roobanguy
May 31, 2011

frajaq posted:

same

Also this is an excellent opportunity to play PoE a final time, but this time slowly, taking my time to enjoy the experience, hell maybe even read a few item descriptions

i still need to complete my third playthough for the triple crown challenge.

probably never going to attempt the ultimate.

e; also it looks like Pallegina is back from the boat picture.

Roobanguy
May 31, 2011

man its gonna be a pain to choose which save to import.

probably my cipher, i really like that class.

Roobanguy
May 31, 2011

Hieronymous Alloy posted:

No, I think I messed up somehow. I got the giftbearer's notebook and went to the ice, got the chest from the ice, the chest in the ice actually had the dwarf's stuff in it, and I can give it back to the dwarf for the small reward, but there doesn't seem to be any way to flip the temple -- no chest full of rocks or anything. Killing all the guys in the temple and the chest in the temple is just filled with cash.

you probably have to eavesdrop after first meeting them to get the chest full of rocks thing.

Roobanguy
May 31, 2011

Hieronymous Alloy posted:

I guess? But it seems like reality shifted. I mean either they're scamming or they aren't! This is bizarre!

maybe if you don't press them on ondra they don't get spooked and go and change out the chests? that's the only reason i can think of for the stuff being in the chest to be the dudes actual stuff. they didn't feel threatened enough to go retrieve it.

Roobanguy
May 31, 2011

i liked deekin in nwn1/2

Roobanguy
May 31, 2011

per-rest sucks because I'm a big baby who goes "But I might need X for the next fight!!!" and always put off using spells when i should.

that's probably why i like cipher so much, because i don't have that feeling when i play them.

Roobanguy
May 31, 2011

Rookersh posted:

Can we get an update on how the end of PoE will change the nature of the Priest class?

In PoE1 the Priest start was a sensible choice. You were a Priest of Berath coming to the Dyrwood to serve the community. You were a slave that was very devoted to Magran and in turn they granted you powers to help others. You were a swashbuckling pirate that turned to Ondra for luck/sealife and she helped you in turn with tricks. You were a devotee of Eothas that still believed in the goodness of your deity and wanted to help others in the Dyrwood to prove Eothas was still something they should accept.

But with the reveal at the end of PoE, what is the Priest class going to be in 2? Having the class still fervently believe in their gods feels like it'd be a bit silly. Who is granting you your powers if you are standing against all the gods? Are you just choosing to work with the gods as a matter of convenience? Trying to gain power from them? What is a -Priest- in the confines of PoE2, knowing what we know.

Or is the truth of the Priest class that your powers were never given by the gods, but instead by you using the power of your own soul to help others, and you've got a particularly strong soul now.

it might be justified with like what durance was doing. taking the powers of his god without them knowing.

Roobanguy
May 31, 2011

Litany Unheard posted:

I've only played Morrowind on an xbox

I didn't think it was very good

same tbh.

Roobanguy
May 31, 2011

age of decadence is cool imo but you need to be in a very specific mind set to play it.

getting killed in the first fight in the game because you didn't spec your character to combat will happen, because it turns out fighting 2 thugs in a back street with nothing but a knife will not work well for you.

Roobanguy
May 31, 2011

Under the vegetable posted:

Yeah if you want to play a game where combat is almost always an extremely lovely idea, but it's possible and tactical fun if you happen to be taking a path through the game that allows for it, age of decadence is a good game for you

i like how it keeps a score of the times you've survived ridiculous odds and lets you use that to convince people not to gently caress with you.

Roobanguy
May 31, 2011

Avalerion posted:

Going just by reviews seems like it's rpg codex, the game. Like quests designed to kill you unless you have x in a skill to progress, and if you don't, well you shouldn't have taken that quest (but the game doesn't tell you this beforehand).

it is very much that.

it's a short 8ish hour game with a lot of ways to get through it, but it very much wants you to commit to a play style every playthrough and not really hybridize. that's not to say you can't be a hybrid character, but you have to have played the game a few times to know how to make one.

Roobanguy fucked around with this message at 09:21 on Feb 12, 2017

Roobanguy
May 31, 2011

frajaq posted:

Real adventurers dont need that talent to kill all the dragons in the game

:yeah:

Roobanguy
May 31, 2011

marshmallow creep posted:

Hm.

What if I cheat my achievements on Steam...?

shameful...

Roobanguy
May 31, 2011

3Romeo posted:

Ravel and The Nameless One is a romance, and it's a loving fantastic one. Deionarra too.

They aren't always terrible!

you may have a point if all the romances are extremely 1 sided like those 2.

Roobanguy
May 31, 2011

Random rear end in a top hat posted:

Ugh, I hope it's actually something good or compelling, and not romances or multiplayer.

same tbh

Roobanguy
May 31, 2011

2house2fly posted:

I also find it interesting that there isn't a villain, and the big climactic destructive event doesn't destroy the Eyeless, it just pisses them off and makes them ask you what's up, and the real ending setpiece is a long conversation

that's not true. ondra's the villain.

Roobanguy
May 31, 2011

brigadine looks cool as heck imo so i didn't switch to plate til i got that blue platemail from white march with its matching helm because that also looks cool as heck.

Roobanguy
May 31, 2011

2house2fly posted:

This beast has an aggressive demeanor yet is eager to please its master. It puts you in mind of an old friend...
I mean there's no Thaos or Kreia to give you a monologue before they attack you. Ondra's not even consciously doing something really bad like Thaos is, you point out that the Eyeless will overrun the Dyrwood and she goes "oh poo poo" because she's really stupid. The end boss of the DLC is a monster who's just hanging around and the real climax Is the talk with the Eyeless. its a cool plot structure I wasn't expecting and gives me hope for the sequel.

well i mean she kinda tried to destroy a continent and willingly wiped out an entire people because they found a bomb rear end forge, and tried to do the same again to stalwart, even if she didn't mean for them to attack the dyrwood/readceras. also they intentionally misled you to get you to kill yourself to stop the eyeless. which didn't actually work like she said it would. so who's to say she wasn't just trying to kill your party and then have the eyeless still destroy stalwart?. gently caress ondra.

if that don't make them the bad guy i don't know what will.

Roobanguy fucked around with this message at 22:50 on Feb 22, 2017

Roobanguy
May 31, 2011

Power Bottom posted:

I just finished my PotD playthrough which was intended to make a perfect endgame save but wahey turns out Eder didn't end up Mayor like I expected/wanted.

gently caress

why'd you lie to him about his bro? thats cold man.

Roobanguy
May 31, 2011

^according to the wiki, telling him to trust in the gods instead of questioning them also affects the ending. don't know how true that is though.

i do wonder how eder reacts to eothas in poe2 if you get his religios freedom fighter ending.

Roobanguy fucked around with this message at 23:27 on Feb 22, 2017

Roobanguy
May 31, 2011

Agean90 posted:

do you remember how many breads you've eaten?

so me killing her was just her stuffing too much bread in her mouth and clogging her throat?

Roobanguy
May 31, 2011

Soysaucebeast posted:

https://www.fig.co/campaigns/deadfire?update=309#updates

All bears, all the time! Bear party confirmed. Time to up my pledge.

i like the tiny bears :3:

Roobanguy
May 31, 2011

trying to play bg1 now a days without mods like BG:T makes me want to claw my eyes out. you move so goddamn slow. so. goddamn. slow

also people having varying movement speed depending on their classes is the worst.

Roobanguy
May 31, 2011

Parenthesis posted:

A first work-in-progress look at the new custom AI system:
https://twitter.com/jesawyer/status/859103836706820096

I am looking forward to fiddle with it in the game.

heck yeah...

Roobanguy
May 31, 2011

Accretionist posted:

Oh, god, wyrms and drakes are kids?

yes.

Roobanguy
May 31, 2011

kill all dragons

Roobanguy
May 31, 2011

its scummy to raise prices on older games before a big sale is about to happen.

Roobanguy
May 31, 2011

Jack B Nimble posted:

I haven't looked into this but aren't CK2 and EU4 both the current games of thier series and getting new dlc? That's not really an old game, unless by old we mean published.

In, PoE, I fought the sky dragon about 10 times at level 12, almost won once, decided I'd rather go finish the game. Should I have been able to discern breath weapon damage type from the log?

ck2 came out in 2012 and eu4 2013. their relatively old games, even if they are the current ones

even if they were released in 2017, raising their price AFTER release is scummy.

Roobanguy fucked around with this message at 23:50 on Jun 22, 2017

Roobanguy
May 31, 2011

Zore posted:

Why?

There isn't some magical law that says 'things must get cheaper over time'.

Things tend to get cheaper over time because people won't pay as much for them. But the utter stagnation of game prices for the last twenty years or so is directly feeding into to the absolute scummy DLC bullshit we're getting because games cost more to make and $60 in 2017 isn't worth nearly as much as $60 in 2000.

they have every right to raise the prices of their games. but doing that AFTER they were a lower base purchasable price is scummy as hell. especially when the price hikes come right before a sale. why is this a argument?

if they were in, say, early access and they rose the price when the game actually hit 1.0 that's not scummy(like this game). but for the base game of something that has been out 5 years getting a price hike after release, thats scummy.

Roobanguy fucked around with this message at 23:58 on Jun 22, 2017

Roobanguy
May 31, 2011

Geektox posted:

My party is level 10 and I am on normal, thus far I've encountered very few encounters I couldn't brute force my way through, but with this and the Alpine Dragon I basically just can't even get a shot in before I'm dead. Reminds me of the one time I tried to play BG in elementary school and get wrecked by some wizard in the first town and never touched it again.

I reckon the secret sauce to beating this stuff is probably in use of consumables like scrolls and potions which I've not touched at all thus far. But none of my party has any amount of lore pretty much so I'm basically boned there. I've never been particularly good at micro either so that probably doesn't help

nothing wrong with coming back to that fight later. 10 is a pretty low level for that fight too, considering it probably assumes you've beaten caed nua's boss before trying to take it on.

Roobanguy
May 31, 2011

im probably gonna go cipher/barb.

probably not going to mess with my npcs too much though...

Roobanguy
May 31, 2011

Avalerion posted:

I thought that reveal was really badly worded for shock value. And when it's explained it just isn't that much of a big deal so the whole thing left me going ...okay, so what.

i liked the reveal if only because i chose a philosopher and only got 1 option in response to it. I KNEW IT!!!!

Roobanguy
May 31, 2011

thats alot of damage

Roobanguy
May 31, 2011

Varam posted:

OTOH, the guy wrote Battle Brothers, a game with writing that openly claims disgusting things about refugees. It's still a pretty big failure to vet both the man and his work.

lol wat

like the most i can think of is that the mercenary captain is kind of a dick to some refugees when the orcs invade, but hes kind of a dick to everyone??

Roobanguy
May 31, 2011

Count Uvula posted:

He's talking about the description for refugees when you hover over their class icon, which says something about how they "lack the conviction to defend their home land". It's a pretty ignoble way of stating that they have a lower willpower stat but pretty easy to hand-wave away with the game having a purposefully amoral slant that values money and your company over everything else.

yeah, i just took it that its the perspective of the mercenary captain you play as, who isn't a very good person.

shame about the dude who wrote battle brothers being a total poo poo head though, i really enjoyed the writing in it.

Roobanguy
May 31, 2011

User posted:

Too bad because mind blades is basically completely worthless now.

mind blades is still a good pick for the early game. it just drops off heavily later. a level 2 ability shouldn't outclass basically every other ability a cipher gets.

Roobanguy
May 31, 2011

looking at that picture i have a question now, is scale armor now stronger than chain mail? seeing as how that armor has chain under it it would make sense.

Roobanguy
May 31, 2011

if you finish the gnome quest in arcanum, you are morally obligated to murder every gnome you see, regardless the costs to alignment/reputation.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Roobanguy
May 31, 2011

only good gnome is a dead gnome

• Locked thread