Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us $3,400 per month for bandwidth bills alone, and since we don't believe in shoving popup ads to our registered users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
«12 »
rope kid
Feb 3, 2001

Warte nur! Balde
Ruhest du auch.

Torrannor posted:

Gift means poison in German.

Ropekid wird uns ein Geschenk geben!
When I was in college, I went to an International House party where the international students were meeting with language students. Someone came up to a freshman from Germany with a cupcake (I think) and said, "We have a gift for you!" She had the reaction you might expect from someone who interpreted that they were being given a poisoned cupcake.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

rope kid
Feb 3, 2001

Warte nur! Balde
Ruhest du auch.

We did a bunch of martial shifting to put beefy abilities in at 7th level, then at 8th/9th. Twinned Shots and Whirling Strikes are both above 7th.

rope kid fucked around with this message at Mar 30, 2018 around 18:50

rope kid
Feb 3, 2001

Warte nur! Balde
Ruhest du auch.

Ratios and Tendency posted:

Ropekid wanted everyone to constantly do math on which weapon is fractionally better vs what armor and to then switch weapons all the time, but, since no-one played his game correctly he had to make the system more punishing.
I have explained here and elsewhere the reasons for the changes, which were due to 1) player feedback that DT felt mushy, which made those players feel like they weren’t clear on when it really made sense to switch weapon/damage types and 2) player feedback and internal feedback that high damage attacks (e.g. a dragon’s breath) made DT largely irrelevant 3) making low damage attacks that penetrate armor requires DT bypass, which was clunky to design around and fed back into the first issue: when is it advantageous to switch damage/attack types vs. staying with what you have?

The first implementation of DT/Pen was severe because I was trying to make the drop very clear and compelling. I.e., I was trying to address the player complaints. It was too severe, so we made the progression milder. It can be made milder still through modding, which is something we put a large effort into supporting.

I don’t know why you seem to believe I’m making these changes out of some personal frustration with how people play the game. Much like your (literally, from you) feedback about the lack of counters in the game caused me to pursue the keyword counter system, other players’ feedback made me re-examine DT, rest mechanics, Resolve/Might, and a bunch of other things.

I think it’s fair to characterize me as incompetent if you don’t think I’ve achieved what I set out to do, but I do think it’s unfair to characterize me as someone who designs things out of pettiness or maliciousness.

rope kid
Feb 3, 2001

Warte nur! Balde
Ruhest du auch.

Ravenfood posted:

So many things about PoE2 want me to make a completely new character to run through the game, but I also want to import my old Watcher and keep going.
There is no practical difference to character creation whether you import a save game or use a pre-generated set of endgame states. I.e., you're effectively creating your character from scratch even if you import.

rope kid
Feb 3, 2001

Warte nur! Balde
Ruhest du auch.

I had Ryan Torres (the designer for that area) position the vine lurker so he could be pulled into the lagufaeth or vice-versa.

rope kid
Feb 3, 2001

Warte nur! Balde
Ruhest du auch.

Samuel Clemens posted:

I'm really curious to see how solo PotD will be in Deadfire. I expect to get my face kicked in a lot.
Our lead designer, Bobby Null, has played through the game twice. The second time was on Veteran with a solo assassin/wizard. He had a ton of fun but said there were certain fights he had to avoid because there were just too many tough enemies to deal with.

rope kid
Feb 3, 2001

Warte nur! Balde
Ruhest du auch.

Companions and sidekicks have whatever subclasses they come with. Usually they are "pure" versions of the class, but there are exceptions. Xoti has unique subclasses for her priest (Harvester of Gaun) and monk (Sister of the Reaping Moon) classes. Tekēhu has unique subclasses for his druid (Watershaper) and chanter (Storm Speaker) classes. Fassina is a conjurer instead of a base wizard. And of course Pallegina is a member of the Brotherhood of the Five Suns.

rope kid
Feb 3, 2001

Warte nur! Balde
Ruhest du auch.

In my current playthrough I have Pallegina as a single class paladin spec'd for damage dual-wielding unique swords and she tears things up. She's more fragile than Edér, but she's in medium armor vs. his heavy and I always have him using a shield.

rope kid
Feb 3, 2001

Warte nur! Balde
Ruhest du auch.

Meyers-Briggs Testicle posted:

is that his real name

did he emerge from a william gibson novel

PS any news on a modding API or some easier way to mess with your json

i wrote a pyqt program that imports the gamedatafiles but boy would I like to not do that
'Tis his real name.

Post-launch, we are very likely to do more to actively support modding. I know right now it's very DIY, but it's hard for us to justify prioritizing modding assistance in the last month before launch.

rope kid
Feb 3, 2001

Warte nur! Balde
Ruhest du auch.

Ravenfood posted:

It takes two turns to jibe, at least for me
Ships now turn and jibe at different speeds (i.e. more turns) based on size. The sloop and voyager are the fastest, followed by the dhow, followed by the galleon and junk.

Hieronymous Alloy posted:

Weather effects seem like a good idea if well implemented. What I'd really like to see is wind direction and tacking but I suspect that's not happening because most people aren't me.
I have designs for weather effects, but they were a bridge too far.

rope kid
Feb 3, 2001

Warte nur! Balde
Ruhest du auch.

Black Jackets start with an extra proficiency.

Melee fighter/wizards are really good, IME.

rope kid
Feb 3, 2001

Warte nur! Balde
Ruhest du auch.

Inspirations always trump Afflictions.

rope kid
Feb 3, 2001

Warte nur! Balde
Ruhest du auch.

Zore posted:

I imagine the big national emergency is the 150-ft tall Adra statue wrecking various parts of the islands.
* 689’, IIRC

rope kid
Feb 3, 2001

Warte nur! Balde
Ruhest du auch.

Nasgate posted:

I'm kind of wondering if you can avoid a fight depending on your ending of Pillars 1.
You can talk your way through the fight; he just picked an option that doesn’t.

rope kid
Feb 3, 2001

Warte nur! Balde
Ruhest du auch.

2house2fly posted:

Really hope all the prose isn't voiced though, that would get old fast
Only the intro, end game, and major story scripted interactions get voiced narration. Ordinary conversations (even important ones) don't have voiced prose.

rope kid
Feb 3, 2001

Warte nur! Balde
Ruhest du auch.

Your Parents posted:

Just checked out this thread again for the first time after re-registering my account and lmao.

rope kid
Feb 3, 2001

Warte nur! Balde
Ruhest du auch.

Characters can (and should) jump between the foredecks at the start of a fight. I always have one or two characters peel off and jump over to take out back line characters for that reason. But yes, if you rush the boarding planks, everyone will bunch up.

rope kid
Feb 3, 2001

Warte nur! Balde
Ruhest du auch.

Buckle up.

https://www.amazon.com/ATTITUDES-TO...0/dp/1456898043

rope kid
Feb 3, 2001

Warte nur! Balde
Ruhest du auch.

WhiskeyWhiskers posted:

It makes sense given the findings of that productivity research, but it's still absolutely shocking that Fallout: NV was made in 18 months without crunch.
I remembered later that the area designers and programmers did crunch, especially the world builders (ScottE, Sydney Wolfram, and Dini McMurry).

rope kid
Feb 3, 2001

Warte nur! Balde
Ruhest du auch.

Pre-buffing doesn’t exist but buffing in combat does. I usually had my battlemage buff with Spirit Shield, a weapon summon, and Disciplined Barrage before hopping in. Sometimes I would add Shield of Flames and/or Deleterious Alacrity of Motion.

Most of it was automated through simple custom AI.

rope kid
Feb 3, 2001

Warte nur! Balde
Ruhest du auch.

Furism posted:

That is indeed the curse of ranged characters
It's just the curse of guns. I think Hunting Bows and War Bows are now best of Pierce/Slash and at least two of the implements have best of damage.

rope kid
Feb 3, 2001

Warte nur! Balde
Ruhest du auch.

Zore posted:

Ugh.

Is pierce still the most resisted damage type? I'm getting the feeling that someone on the dev team really doesn't like guns.
They still do massive damage in the right hands. I consistently use guns in my playthroughs. I think my personal favorite ranged weapons are arquebuses (for damage), pistols (for a faster shot cadence with heavy damage), war bows (for Overdraw), crossbows (for Knockdown), and sceptres (overall versatility).

rope kid
Feb 3, 2001

Warte nur! Balde
Ruhest du auch.

Zore posted:

I mean I get that this is mostly true, but swords are also by far the most popular melee choice and the game loving overloads you with types of sword, unique swords and give them better base stats than like clubs or axes so I'm not sure it totally tracks.
As other people in this thread have already pointed out, clubs (in Deadfire, at least) are extremely potent if you have anyone in your party targeting Will and battle axes can do massive damage if used properly. Swords have best of Slash/Pierce, but all best of weapons now have 1 Pen lower than weapons that have a single damage type -- which is still a net bonus, but circumstantially worse when the target has the same AR vs. both types.

Swords are a popular melee choice because people love swords for various reasons (I'm not that stuck on them, personally). There are several categories of sword because D&D has a bunch of them, too. The only reason capital S Swords got overrepresented in uniques is because backers and designers kept designing them in spite of my requests not to.

I still think that maces and warhammers (in Deadfire at least) are generally more useful one-handed weapons and I prefer pikes and quarterstaves (especially) for distance. Morningstars are best of Crush/Pierce and do identical damage to greatswords. If you have anyone who regularly targets Fortitude, the morningstar modal is fantastic IME.

rope kid
Feb 3, 2001

Warte nur! Balde
Ruhest du auch.

I had Edér using Beza's Toothed Blade and a shield + a unique warhammer + the same shield for most of my main playthrough.

My favorite combo was actually Aloth with Squid's Grasp (rapier) and a unique sceptre. The sceptres were pretty solid at range and if a dope closed in to mess with him, he had a surprisingly high finishing rate with the rapier.

E: Also he looked badass.

https://twitter.com/jesawyer/status/962804710808829952

rope kid fucked around with this message at Apr 24, 2018 around 15:35

rope kid
Feb 3, 2001

Warte nur! Balde
Ruhest du auch.

Mr.Pibbleton posted:

Did you have him multiclassed?
No, just as a pure wizard.

rope kid
Feb 3, 2001

Warte nur! Balde
Ruhest du auch.

You are guaranteed to take ship and crew damage if you choose to close to board at the start of combat. It’s designed to generally be more punishing than if you resolved things manually.

rope kid
Feb 3, 2001

Warte nur! Balde
Ruhest du auch.

High-frequency rolls are almost all 2d10.

The logic behind using different dice for different mechanics is that insisting on forcing a single die mechanic to represent everything is good for an initial learning curve, bad for modeling anything outside of the probability range represented by that die mechanic. I would rather use different dice to model different probability curves than force everything into a single curve or set of curves.

Wound recovery is handled during downtime, so you shouldn't need to consult it all during a session. I could have used 2d10 or 1d10+whatever modifiers to cover how many days it takes to transition from one wound type or another but IMO that would have resulted in some goofy time ranges. Each stage of recovery has a different time range, but they're all located in the same section and would all be resolved while the player is looking at that page.

I'm going to do my best to organize the final guide as well as I can for quick reference, but I have to admit that I don't care about appealing to the audience who doesn't like looking a few things up during play -- and especially during downtime, which is integral to how the game works. I'm designing the game for long-term play. You make characters, play them through decades of their lives until they are killed, die of old age, or retire. If you're the kind of player or GM who is time-pressed and doesn't really like planning things out, this will probably not be the game for you.

rope kid
Feb 3, 2001

Warte nur! Balde
Ruhest du auch.

Milli posted:

I wanna hear more about the ttrpg

What do you want to know?

rope kid
Feb 3, 2001

Warte nur! Balde
Ruhest du auch.

Enigmatic Cakelord posted:

I submitted a question to your Q&A thing, but I'll ask here as the TTRPG is good place to make a definitive statement. What is the nature of healing magic now? Like, does health represent cuts and minor flesh wounds or is assumed you are never bloodied until you receive a "wound"?
To the extent that it exists in the TTRPG, healing magic focuses on three things: 1) allowing the wounded character to temporarily ignore the penalties of a wound 2) temporarily preventing a wound from worsening 3) alleviating fatigue, which can be acquired in various ways, but typically as a result of a hit being downgraded into fatigue (as opposed to becoming a wound).

"Health" doesn't exist in the TTRPG. Characters acquire individual wounds that have a cumulative malus on all skill rolls.

rope kid
Feb 3, 2001

Warte nur! Balde
Ruhest du auch.

Meyers-Briggs Testicle posted:

if health doesn't exist what do characters gain as they level? the ability to take on more wounds without collapsing? if wounds are specific conditions does that mean a level 1 character can have a head cold and a broken arm, but a level 2 character can have a head cold, a broken arm, and a stubbed toe?
Characters don't have levels. Character advancement happens primarily through the acquisition of skills, powers, and traits.

An experienced character can't be hurt more than a less experienced one (though they may have powers to shrug off the effects of wounds more easily). An experienced character is less likely to be wounded in the first place.

Your Parents posted:

Pillars my rear end, this is just ars magica with long hair.
I've been very open that AM, Burning Wheel, and Gumshoe provide a big chunk of the inspiration for the system's mechanics.

E: Except that AM doesn't use Soak to translate wounds into fatigue. Soak is absolute, which is one of several places where AM5's combat mechanics fall down. It's incredibly easy to stack Soak and become impervious to physical damage.

rope kid fucked around with this message at May 1, 2018 around 14:11

rope kid
Feb 3, 2001

Warte nur! Balde
Ruhest du auch.

Soul skills use the same XP scale as other skills, but the significance of the rank of a soul skill is not the same as it is for other skills because a soul skill rank is used to access powers. Soul skills are normalized against each other. So if you put 50xp into advancing Arcana, you should feel that what you get out of it is in the ballpark of 50xp in Discipline.

rope kid
Feb 3, 2001

Warte nur! Balde
Ruhest du auch.

Basic Chunnel posted:

Personally I’m interested in the backgrounds u posted to twitter. You’ve got something called an “edge” as a bonus and also straight die rolls, was wondering if u could expand on that thinking.

Also found it curious that despite the typical depiction of Aedyr - Readceras / Dyrwood relations, Aedyrans get extra bonus on some speech-style checks against them. Wouldn’t they get penalties? Dyrwoodans are shown as provincial / quick tempered / resentful / American, hard to imagine a great many circumstances where Aedyrans come out on top in those situations
An Edge is like a Call-On in Burning Wheel. It allows you to win ties or re-roll and can be invoked after the initial roll has been made/result has been declared.

A Bonus Die is always a d4, added to the 2d10.

The Culture bonuses are all first pass. The thinking with the Aedyran bonuses is that, in spite of the resentment Reacerans and (especially) Dyrwoodans feel toward Aedyr, they tend to find Aedyrans charming.

rope kid
Feb 3, 2001

Warte nur! Balde
Ruhest du auch.

It does open up earlier, yes.

rope kid
Feb 3, 2001

Warte nur! Balde
Ruhest du auch.

GrandpaPants posted:

I'm actually kinda surprised that priests don't get spells specific to their god. You get like, one at 8th level, but that's about it. Gimme dat Abydon hammer smash.
We do have the new unique high level spells for priests. Spiritual Weapon (2nd level) is accessible by all priests, but summons weapons that are specific to the deity.

Berath: Great Sword
Eothas: Flail
Magran: Pistol and Sword
Skaen: Club and Stiletto
Wael: Rod

rope kid
Feb 3, 2001

Warte nur! Balde
Ruhest du auch.

Gorelab posted:

So, apparently people are worried that PoTD is too easy
I think PotD is too easy, especially along sections of the critical path. That said, it is something we can easily work on for an early patch.

https://jesawyer.tumblr.com/post/17...-you-tuned-down

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

rope kid
Feb 3, 2001

Warte nur! Balde
Ruhest du auch.

En Garde Motherfuckers posted:

What's the source of the issue? Too few enemies, not enough accuracy or defense bonuses, AI?

I caught a bit of that stream and didn't even realize it was on PotD
Party AI being very good and aggressive does make the game a bit easier overall, but the main issue really is the number, variety, and placement of enemies. It's not enough for the enemies to have stat boosts if the party outnumbers them. PotD fights don't need to have hordes of enemies, but they do need to have enough that the player has to make difficult prioritization choices.

2house2fly posted:

You should have just said "we made it as hard as we possibly could... The guy must just be insanely good at the game! And if you find path of the damned easy, you must be insanely good too!" That would pacify them until you get the patch out
I think people would see through that and it's not honest. I deprioritized PotD tuning for reasons I think are justified, but I understand that will disappoint people in the short term until we can adjust the encounters.

«12 »