Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
rope kid
Feb 3, 2001

Warte nur! Balde
Ruhest du auch.

Hieronymous Alloy posted:

They were a little too subtle with it I think, plus a lot of D&D campaigns and fantasy fiction veers into the late medieval at least, so having things like blunderbusses and arequebuses isn't a big deal by itself: stas for both of those weapons are in the 2nd edition AD&D players handbook.
AC-tually, the arquebus was in the Player's Handbook and the blunderbuss was in the Forgotten Realms Adventures hardcover.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

rope kid
Feb 3, 2001

Warte nur! Balde
Ruhest du auch.

FreeKillB posted:

e: rope kid when are you releasing the rules for the pen and paper edition of gently caress You: Suck My Dick: Josh Sawyer's Personal Dream RPG Experience????
Not for quite a while.

rope kid
Feb 3, 2001

Warte nur! Balde
Ruhest du auch.

It's digital and it will be a new ruleset, not an adaptation into an existing ruleset.

rope kid
Feb 3, 2001

Warte nur! Balde
Ruhest du auch.

Ratios and Tendency posted:

If you had to guess; what % of spells and talents are porting straight over vs new/significant reworks?
Hmm. I'd say maybe 50/50, but I think we'll have to see how some of our ideas pan out. We have our new Inspiration set to counter Afflictions and a lot of personal and group buffs have been reworked to support Inspirations instead of straight stat buffs. E.g. a barbarian's Frenzy places the Fit and Strong Inspirations on them. These grant appropriate Con and Mig bonuses, but they also serve as counters to (and can be countered by) Sickened and Weakened Afflictions.

The way our Penetration and Armor Rating system works allows us to make cleaner distinctions between high pen attacks and heavy damage attacks that shifts how we stat out some spells. Because of our new Concentration/Interrupt system and re-targeting mechanic, we're also experimenting with longer cast times for big effect attacks, e.g. Fireballs that are long-cast (and are vulnerable to being interrupted/lost) but do significantly more damage.

There are other changes that are more subtle: changing Minoletta's Minor Missiles over to a no-roll (and thus, no Crit/Miss) attack with good pen and modest damage. Allowing some attacks to upgrade their Affliction on a Crit or downgrade to a lesser Affliction on a Graze (most attacks do not have a Graze range/effect anymore). Narrowing the focus of some attacks, e.g. making Whisper of Treason cause a Charm effect on kith but a Confusion effect on non-kith. Stuff like that. Things that change the mechanics but (hopefully) keep the spirit of the effect.

Oh, and modals were heavily reworked. You no longer pick any weapon-based modal talents (like Rapid Shot) as talents. You automatically gain access a modals when you gain proficiency (a separate currency) in a weapon and have that weapon equipped. E.g. if you gain proficiency in hunting bows, you can activate Rapid Shot whenever you have one equipped. If you are proficient in estocs, you can activate Vulnerable Attack whenever you have one equipped. On the class side of things, most of the modal abilities are purchased as linked abilities. E.g. paladins gain all zealous auras as one package and you can switch between them as you need to.

rope kid fucked around with this message at 08:02 on Feb 9, 2017

rope kid
Feb 3, 2001

Warte nur! Balde
Ruhest du auch.

User0015 posted:

This system sounds absolutely amazing. That kind of interaction where you counter/cancel spells is extremely fun and I look forward to it.

One suggestion for this system though: Please include some way of rapidly reminding the player what spells counter or affect what stats for dumb players like me. For example, maybe I don't remember what Frenzy does, so if I hover on it, it shows "Fit, Strong" in green and "Sickened Weakened" in red, so I know at a simple glance that green is what it gives me, and red is what it counters. Or "Fit (Sickened), Strong (Weakened)" or something. A quick reminder what it gives and what it takes away.
That's something we're working on implementing right now. The tooltip will indicate what can cancel it.

rope kid
Feb 3, 2001

Warte nur! Balde
Ruhest du auch.

Fair Bear Maiden posted:

Considering it's an add-on for $7, I'm expecting something at the same level of depth (and with about as much/possibly less playtesting) as the J.E. Sawyer Fallout PnP RPG.
I never intended that ruleset to be used by the public. It's something I put up on a wiki because it made it easier for my players to access. Other people were interested in it and I was fine with sharing it, but I never considered it to be anything more than some bare-bones rules.

rope kid
Feb 3, 2001

Warte nur! Balde
Ruhest du auch.

I have zero interest in trying to replicate the mechanics of the CRPGs. I don't think it would be to anyone's benefit/make a good game.

rope kid
Feb 3, 2001

Warte nur! Balde
Ruhest du auch.

I like the idea of someone who always roleplays characters with crippling ennui. After character creation they just slowly walk around the starting area for 15 minutes, shut down the game, and never start it up again.

rope kid
Feb 3, 2001

Warte nur! Balde
Ruhest du auch.

2house2fly posted:

A surprising number of people prefer to just buy games and own them rather than play them.
It shouldn't be that surprising. Steam sale comment threads are full of people who have libraries full of games they lament never playing.

Even among people who do fire a game up, a large number never make it past the first achievement.

rope kid
Feb 3, 2001

Warte nur! Balde
Ruhest du auch.

Under the vegetable posted:

Pillars the ttrpg going to be oddly similar to a heavily houseruled ars magica

rope kid
Feb 3, 2001

Warte nur! Balde
Ruhest du auch.

Smiling Knight posted:

While we're on God Chat and rope kid is around, I have a question. The pantheon of Eora lacks a god or goddess of fertility/love/lust. These figures are ubiquitous on Earth; why the difference? One option is that Obsidian didn't want to have a a Generic Sexy Love Goddess (although they would certainly do better than that). Or did the Engwithans not see a need for that sort of figure? Or want to discourage such behavior? Maybe they were a bunch of prudes?
Hylea and Ondra represent aspects of fertility and love, respectively. In Deadfire, the Huana associate Ondra a little more heavily with fertility, as evidenced by their angler fish-headed take on the Venus of Willendorf representing Ngati (their name for Ondra).

rope kid
Feb 3, 2001

Warte nur! Balde
Ruhest du auch.

Zore posted:

Something I'm a little unclear about metaphysically; when do souls actually enter the body? Maerwald confirms your soul can be reborn as your own child if you die soon enough but I'm wondering how this ties into the Hollowborn crisis.

Like if you're pregnant and come to Dyrwood during the crisis would the kid end up hollowborn? If you're pregnant and leave? When are the souls being ripped out? Or are they just blocked from getting in?
Souls enter bodies at various points between conception and birth, but usually closer to conception. The bîaŵacs were not tearing souls out of fetuses, but grabbing souls in the Between on their way to start new lives. Of course, any housed soul near a bîaŵac can have its soul ripped out as well, but most pregnant women don't hang out by Engwithan ruins.

rope kid
Feb 3, 2001

Warte nur! Balde
Ruhest du auch.

Basic Chunnel posted:

Obviously, I was hopeful that Obsidian would scale back their exploration focus in PoE2, but they seem pretty adamant about sticking to it, and about leaving PoE1's pacing flaws unexamined.
I've said in multiple interviews (and in this thread, IIRC) that pacing wasn't good in Pillars and that we're doing several things to address it, from changing the basic structure of the critical path to developing one large city instead of two. Most notably, trash mobs are significantly less common even within relatively combat-dense environments. We do have designers doing minor interactions in city districts, but there's a limit to how many NPCs can roll out in front of the party forcing conversations before it feels less like a living city and more like a DM throwing quests at you because the protagonist walked over a trigger. Athkatla steps over that line in a few places.

rope kid
Feb 3, 2001

Warte nur! Balde
Ruhest du auch.

The controversial opinion that pacing may be better served by letting the player initiate most conversations on their own.

rope kid
Feb 3, 2001

Warte nur! Balde
Ruhest du auch.

My *hope* is that "no trash mob fights"
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KCei15pifO8

I don't think I've ever said "no trash mob fights". We will still have some small mobs and patrollers for a) pacing and b) chaos in other encounters.

Power Bottom posted:

rope kid, are there any plans to alter how Resting works, like choosing how long you want to Rest for? I'm already getting annoyed with waiting for things to happen (loot tables to roll over, keep things to finish building, ect), and given that PoE2 will have NPCs with specific schedules and such, I'm worried that a neat feature will turn into a frustrating one because we're locked in to resting for 8 hours at a time.
It's still 8 hours right now, but we also have a wait option that is separate from resting. You can wait up to a full day at a time.

rope kid
Feb 3, 2001

Warte nur! Balde
Ruhest du auch.

I established a rule that quest NPCs either can't move from their location or moving from their location has to be part of the quest that is made clear to the player. E.g. a Vailian bureaucrat who visits the tavern every evening and his behavior is made clear when you talk to him.

rope kid
Feb 3, 2001

Warte nur! Balde
Ruhest du auch.

Not at all. Stormlands was very far away from Darklands in almost every way.

rope kid
Feb 3, 2001

Warte nur! Balde
Ruhest du auch.

marshmallow creep posted:

Hell, right now I am having a hard time putting Battle Brothers down to finish Pillars and it is basically nothing but "trash" encounters.
Battle Brothers is very good and I'd like to recommend it to anyone who enjoys turn-based combat and some Darklands feels.

rope kid
Feb 3, 2001

Warte nur! Balde
Ruhest du auch.

There are a few things to keep in mind regarding the Hollowborn crisis. First, not everyone was affected by it and it was regional and (seemingly) random to many. Proximity to the Engwithan machines the Leaden Key was using increased the likelihood that a child's soul would never reach the body. So a place like Gilded Vale was devastated. Defiance Bay was not affected as badly. Second, pre-Hollowborn infant mortality would have been similar to pre-19th century Earth. I.e., ~50% of children would have died before the age of 2. The Hollowborn crisis didn't help, but infant survivability was already bad, so childbirth did not go from 20th century Earth standards to Hell on Earth overnight. Third, people can and have left some of the most devastated areas when you get there. Gilded Vale is the worst off. Even so, there are people who will stick around an area even when it seems woefully unsafe/bad to do so. There can be many reasons for this: financial, sentimental, or just complications with friends and family in the area. While it was only over a 2 year period, a lot of people stayed in Venice between 1630 and 1631 during a time when a third of the population was dying of plague. Crisis/danger does motivate people to leave their homes, but even in modern times, people can and will remain in dangerous places.

rope kid
Feb 3, 2001

Warte nur! Balde
Ruhest du auch.

Samuel Clemens posted:

If you didn't give him the dagger, you missed out on the best cruel option.

The Gordy quest owns.

One of my only writing contributions to PoE outside of Pallegina.

rope kid
Feb 3, 2001

Warte nur! Balde
Ruhest du auch.

Captain Oblivious posted:

Think you'll be writing Pallegina again?

Her conversation with Hylea was excellent.
Thanks. Yeah, I'll be writing her and doing more writing in general on Deadfire.

rope kid
Feb 3, 2001

Warte nur! Balde
Ruhest du auch.

I'm the narrative lead. Carrie Patel, Megan Starks, and Paul Kirsch are the full-time narrative designers. Olivia Veras is writing in addition to doing area design. Other area designers do some supplemental writing, as always. The major differences from Pillars are that Eric Fenstermaker is gone (to baby town) and Chris Avellone is no longer with Obsidian.

rope kid
Feb 3, 2001

Warte nur! Balde
Ruhest du auch.

Fair Bear Maiden posted:

During an interview, Eric Fenstermaker mentioned that he's hoping to work as a freelance on PoE2 to write Edér. Is that still the plan?
If it works with his schedule, that would be fantastic. I wouldn't want to assume he'll be able to do it, though.

Samuel Clemens posted:

That might be my favourite line in the game. It's just so needlessly mean-spirited.

Come to think of it, PoE seems to have a lot of options for being cruel to little kids. Who wrote the WM2 quest about the missing girl?
:getin:

rope kid
Feb 3, 2001

Warte nur! Balde
Ruhest du auch.

idonotlikepeas posted:

Overall, the system sounds really interesting. Reminds me a bit of the KOTOR 2 system, but with some improvements, particularly with companions having relationships with each other instead of the main character always being the center of everything. Assuming we hit this goal, would we be able to influence the companions, as well? Like, might we be able to convince Eder to stop being casually racist about Orlans, if we get in good with him?
Yeah, the idea of the system is that building a relationship with someone (or between two people) allows you to influence them/their relationship.

rope kid
Feb 3, 2001

Warte nur! Balde
Ruhest du auch.

Basic Chunnel posted:

I have the same questions about this system that I had about PoE's reputation system, which is "can you have a reaction that is defined by more than one factor?" In PoE the answer was no.
The system allows it. It's up to the individual writer to decide if they want to factor that in. Nothing in the scripting system prevents checking multiple reputations. One of the reasons why positive and negative reps are tracked separately is to allow for that.

Basic Chunnel posted:

It also sort of steers us toward the question of whether we're getting BG2-style dialogue interjects out of the system or whether it will be post-BG2 style, wherein triggered conversations only happen on the house boat.

Also, do your reputation(s) carry over from PoE save states?
Where a conversation triggers will depend on the propriety of the individual conversation. If it makes sense to happen anywhere, we can have it happen anywhere. If it should only launch at one place, or seems inappropriate to launch in certain circumstances, we can control that, too.

We won't carry over Pillars reps w/r/t companion relationships, but we will carry over their story states.

rope kid
Feb 3, 2001

Warte nur! Balde
Ruhest du auch.

The systemic elements aren't a replacement for major story beats. They exist specifically to cover situations where it would be bad/pointless (for pacing or other reasons) to have companions interjecting in quests even though they should/would be paying attention to the choices you're making.

rope kid
Feb 3, 2001

Warte nur! Balde
Ruhest du auch.

turboraton posted:

Hey there guys Peruvian goon reporting in. The sadness of not being able to translate this beautiful game to Spanish is only towered by the sadness in reading some guys hating on my boy Ulyssess. That's all, carry on Obsidian I love you guys.
Deadfire is getting Spanish localization.

rope kid
Feb 3, 2001

Warte nur! Balde
Ruhest du auch.

All creatures/armors have a base armor rating and variant armor rating. When you attack them with damaging attacks, you'll see that rating displayed on their tooltip, e.g. a guy in plate armor maybe has 8 Armor Rating with 4 AR vs. Shock and 10 vs. Slash. This is pretty similar to Pillars.

Weapons have a Penetration value that applies to the damage type it's doing. E.g. your spear has a Penetration of 9 and it does Pierce damage, so that will be compared to the Pierce AR of the opponent (9, in the above case).

When you hover over an enemy with a damaging attack, you'll see the % to hit (as in Pillars) as well as your Penetration vs. the appropriate Armor Rating. If your Penetration is lower than the AR (displayed in red), you will do 30% damage and the character will play their weapon ineffective line. If your Penetration is equal to or higher than the AR (but less than double the AR), it will be displayed in white and you'll do 100% damage. If your Penetration is double the AR (displayed in blue), you'll do 130% damage.

We will use the damage type symbols instead of text, but that's the basic idea. The important thing is always to use damaging attacks that have equal or greater Penetration vs. the target's Armor Rating.

rope kid
Feb 3, 2001

Warte nur! Balde
Ruhest du auch.

Samuel Clemens posted:

That does bring up an interesting point. How do spells and abilities interact with the new Armor system? Will each one have its own Penetration value?
Yes.

Vermain posted:

What differentiates this from New Vegas is that the decrease/increase in damage is percentile, rather than simply being a flat reduction. Crucially, this makes the system weapon speed agnostic, so fast weapons aren't automatically hosed compared to slow, heavy weapons.
Yes.

Hey Chief posted:

Presumably, there'll still be weapons with "best of" damage types, spells and such that lower armor values, etc.
Yes.

idonotlikepeas posted:

Grimoires are supposed to be swappable, I think. This would also be good motivation to memorize spells with a few different damage types.
Yes.

rope kid fucked around with this message at 17:24 on Feb 16, 2017

rope kid
Feb 3, 2001

Warte nur! Balde
Ruhest du auch.

Aardark posted:

I was trying to point out that translation might be the right word to use there, not localization.
In the game industry, "localization" and "loc" are commonly used to refer to a translated version of the game even if there is not a localized SKU.

rope kid
Feb 3, 2001

Warte nur! Balde
Ruhest du auch.

Weapons have other properties differentiating them than damage type.

rope kid
Feb 3, 2001

Warte nur! Balde
Ruhest du auch.

Basic Chunnel posted:

So sidekicks are like... PoE1 companions, minus the quests? Is the only true difference that they don't participate in the relationship system?
A lot of people forget that many BG and BG2 companions didn't have personal quests. They had unique portraits, voice sets, piped up every once in a while, but otherwise didn't have an arc or other special content. Minsc is one of the most notable characters that falls into this category. Rather than have a bunch of companions with highly variable amounts of content, sidekicks are a way for us to create a clear category of designed party members that are color characters, not main companions.

rope kid
Feb 3, 2001

Warte nur! Balde
Ruhest du auch.

Fair Bear Maiden posted:

Uh? This is a weird thing to mention. I assume you mean BG2's Minsc? Because Minsc in BG1 had one of the most notable companion quests in the game, with a full location dedicated to it (the Gnoll Fortress), unique dialogue and repercussions.
Yes, in BG2.

Litany Unheard posted:

Will there be any indicator for sidekicks to show that they're not a "main companion?"
Yes, they will be clearly categorized separately and we will inform the player what the differences between those characters and companions are.

rope kid
Feb 3, 2001

Warte nur! Balde
Ruhest du auch.

Adventurer portraits and voice sets cover a broad spectrum of basic appearances and broad archetypes. Sidekicks are specific characters with unique portraits, voice sets, and incorporation into the story that are intended to be more colorful than the general characters you can make as adventurers.

rope kid
Feb 3, 2001

Warte nur! Balde
Ruhest du auch.

Dolash posted:

I still don't really get what problem they're fixing though, I don't know if there was a dire need for defined companions with lighter story elements.
A lot of people want more companions (especially more colorful companions), but do not understand the actual cost of creating more companions with the same level of depth as the rest of the cast. There can also often be a multiplicative cost if companion reactions always ping off of other companions. The actual node count and content of a BG2 companion could vary wildly, but the player wouldn't know that before taking them unless they saw someone make a node breakdown somewhere online.

Another route we could have taken would be to bullshit everyone and say that we're going to have 16 companions but write 6 of them with full node counts and the other 10 with a fifth of the node count, but obviously I don't think that's acceptable.

rope kid
Feb 3, 2001

Warte nur! Balde
Ruhest du auch.

Captain Oblivious posted:

If it would constitute spreading themselves thin I don't think they would have offered it. This way you can get some flavor characters who might only, say, have as many nodes as a Cernd (which isn't bad) while being upfront about the fact that Cernd is not Jaheira.
That's pretty much the idea, yeah. We (the writers) just don't feel comfortable saying we're going to do X companions if that means half of them are fully developed and the other half are given little attention.

rope kid
Feb 3, 2001

Warte nur! Balde
Ruhest du auch.

idonotlikepeas posted:

Will companions get ending slides?

Yes.

rope kid
Feb 3, 2001

Warte nur! Balde
Ruhest du auch.

2house2fly posted:

Sidekicks?
It's not something we've discussed. I wouldn't want to commit to anything without talking to the other narrative designers, but I would say that something limited in scope would not be difficult to do. The scope would be naturally limited because they don't have quest arcs, but could possibly change based on your overall decisions.

Scorchy posted:

What's the mechanism to manage in-game expectations of the differentiation between the two types? Is there some tool-tip or big label?
We already separate companions from adventurers in the roster. Sidekicks would go in the companions section but be distinguished in the UI. We also plan on tutorializing the player about the different types of party members in game.

rope kid
Feb 3, 2001

Warte nur! Balde
Ruhest du auch.

DrNutt posted:

I will say that their attempts to build a bridge between grognards and casuals fell flat wrt stuff like health/endurance, making things needlessly complex.

And now people are upset because the Endurance/Health split is going away.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

rope kid
Feb 3, 2001

Warte nur! Balde
Ruhest du auch.

I'm really surprised they aren't letting us name our ship ourselves.

You will be able to rename the ship. The Defiant is just its default name.

• Locked thread