Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
rope kid
Feb 3, 2001

Warte nur! Balde
Ruhest du auch.

Autonomous Monster posted:

(My diacritic game is garbage, but I'd put my money on something like "men-puu-gra". They didn't call it "double-u" as a joke.)
Correct.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

rope kid
Feb 3, 2001

Warte nur! Balde
Ruhest du auch.

ProfessorCirno posted:

You know, I hadn't considered it, but uh, ropekid, you...are gonna have to keep in mind while making your tabletop game that probably very few of us can speak Welsh or Cornish or the myriad of other languages used as inspiration. I'm just saying, I open a book and see "mênpŵgra," there's an absolutely zero percent change I have any idea how to pronounce that to the rest of the group.
Good news: like most tabletop RPGs that people buy, no one will play it, so everyone will be spared the pain of pronouncing words like Mênpŵgra and Guenhwyvar.

Airfoil posted:

Celtic languages were transcribed by drunken monks. I'd suggest Rope Kid include a reference to modern IPA standard...

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/International_Phonetic_Alphabet
Irish orthography was developed in the early middle ages and adopted the Latin alphabet. Classical Latin almost certainly did not support a large number of the sounds found in Old Irish, which led to the adoption of (to the eyes of non-Irish speakers) rather peculiar consonant clusters and consonant mutation, including the very weird initial consonant mutation where Carraig becomes gCarraig (the c is silent, duh).

Glanfathan was originally based on Old Irish and it made 90% of the Pillars of Eternity team cry and die, so I changed it to be based on Welsh and Cornish. Cornish orthography wasn't even centrally defined until the early 20th century, which is why it's comparably easy to decipher. But I also threw in Welsh double ls because I like them.

rope kid
Feb 3, 2001

Warte nur! Balde
Ruhest du auch.

FunkMonkey posted:

If you multiclass, will you have access to special dialogue for both root classes? Are there special dialogues for the multiclass itself?
Yes and no, respectively.

rope kid
Feb 3, 2001

Warte nur! Balde
Ruhest du auch.

Anno posted:

Question for Rope Kid: If I understood you correctly on the Q&A stream last night, companions are restricted in their multiclassing options. Is there a chance that decision is reversed? Or an option to unlock full multiclassing? Or is this something more technical that was causing larger issue.
It's more of a technical issue than a design philosophy issue, though there is greater potential for players to get in over their head really quickly with unrestricted multiclassing. If we have time to address the technical issues, we may change the current implementation, but it's lower priority than a lot of other programming tasks at the moment.

rope kid
Feb 3, 2001

Warte nur! Balde
Ruhest du auch.

Basic Chunnel posted:

Assuming here that bug reports should go straight to the Obs forums?
That's probably the best place, yes.

rope kid
Feb 3, 2001

Warte nur! Balde
Ruhest du auch.

Fair Bear Maiden posted:

I'm surprised at how relatively limited the interface customization options seem to be, though that might be just for the beta.
There are two general concepts for interface customization. The first is relatively easy to implement and offers a variety of basic configuration options. The second is extremely time consuming but would offer a much wider level of control. The first is a step toward the second, so we stopped at this implementation to see how people felt about/used it in the beta.

rope kid
Feb 3, 2001

Warte nur! Balde
Ruhest du auch.

Hieronymous Alloy posted:

That was the old plan but apparently it's like complicated to implement or something
It's largely an interface issue (selection and character creation). It's not insurmountable, but it is complicated.

rope kid
Feb 3, 2001

Warte nur! Balde
Ruhest du auch.

Basic Chunnel posted:

Feeling a bit miffed that I ran a rogue with that background for the express purpose of RPing in the sequel
I'm not sure what's going on with the listed backgrounds. I don't think we intentionally altered what was available to each culture.

rope kid
Feb 3, 2001

Warte nur! Balde
Ruhest du auch.

so wait are the racial traits gone now or am I just not seeing them (sucks to be godlike?)

also it's not possible to import PoE 1 saves yet right?

They should be there, but they may not be displaying in CC (should be on your character sheet, at least).

rope kid
Feb 3, 2001

Warte nur! Balde
Ruhest du auch.

Scorchy posted:

- The new interrupt system seems closer to BG2. Casters take a long wind-up for a spell, you rush to interrupt them and make them waste the spell. The AI murlocs seemed smart enough to target my Wizard with paralyzing darts too. Seems it might be worth it now to have a Rogue or Ranger on interrupt duty now. I like this system a lot better so far, it's more tactical for the martial classes.
BTW, Concentration is now a thing you either have or don't. Most characters don't have Concentration by default, but spells, abilities, and some items can grant it. Concentration negates Interrupt, so if your wizard really needs to pull off a specific spell, casting Spirit Shield or something similar early in the fight can be very valuable. However, if an enemy has Concentration, that also means you need two successful Interrupts to kill the spell.

rope kid
Feb 3, 2001

Warte nur! Balde
Ruhest du auch.

Both Pallegina portraits were based on a Kenyan model who doesn’t really look like Rihanna (Ajuma Nasenyana).

rope kid
Feb 3, 2001

Warte nur! Balde
Ruhest du auch.

Basic Chunnel posted:

Are u SURE bc the feathers and all felt v much like a Carnival thing which she is known for
Pretty sure.

rope kid
Feb 3, 2001

Warte nur! Balde
Ruhest du auch.

bongwizzard posted:

Who knows? But at least no feelings are hurt!
It seems your feelings were hurt very badly and I apologize.

rope kid
Feb 3, 2001

Warte nur! Balde
Ruhest du auch.

Wicked Them Beats posted:

I don't see a semantics shift fixing the issue. People can look at the scale and figure out what maps to hard, etc. :shrug:
People aren't rational.

[img-trojan_magnum_sales_chart.jpg]

rope kid
Feb 3, 2001

Warte nur! Balde
Ruhest du auch.

Have people been using Empower? If so, have you used it to make an active ability more powerful, to replenish your per encounter resources, or both?

rope kid
Feb 3, 2001

Warte nur! Balde
Ruhest du auch.

Akong posted:

I've only used Empower to replenish so far. Would using it to empower help deal with the armor of enemies? Seems like Armor Penetration and Armor Reduction are complete game changers and absolutely necessary, at least on Veteran. If Mercenary Fighter didn't have a mace that could reduce armor, I'd be completely screwed.
Empowering an ability will increase its Penetration because it's effectively being leveled up (leveling also increases ability/spell Penetration).

There are a few other spells/abilities that either increase Penetration or lower enemy Armor Ratings. The mace modal will lower all ARs on a target by 1. The modals for war bows, sabres, and swords increases Penetration by 2 (IIRC).

rope kid
Feb 3, 2001

Warte nur! Balde
Ruhest du auch.

Shifters are fairly busted right now. Beckoners are also wild.

rope kid
Feb 3, 2001

Warte nur! Balde
Ruhest du auch.

ok why is a club "unfit for the vailian republic"
That's specifically for Pallegina's order, but it shouldn't be showing up on everything.

When not wearing armor appropriate for representing the Republics (shown below), Pallegina will receive a penalty to her max Zeal
* Vailian Clothing
* Breastplate
* Plate Armor

When using weapons unbefitting of her station (shown below), Pallegina receives a penalty to her max Zeal.
* Hatchet
* Quarterstaff
* Hunting Bow
* Flail
* Club

All that is to say that paladins of the Brotherhood of the Five Suns are expected to use weapons and armor that are fitting their station as representatives of the ducs bels.

rope kid
Feb 3, 2001

Warte nur! Balde
Ruhest du auch.

Using your mace modal to make the enemy's armor weaker makes you a hero to everyone else in the party who is within 1 of Penetrating.

Also, an important note about the Penetration system: 30% is the minimum damage you'll do once your Pen drops below AR. This is actually higher than the minimum of 20% in Pillars of Eternity. Also, weapons with low Pen (notably, sabres) have a significantly higher base damage, so practically speaking they are at worst doing 50% the damage that high Pen weapons do.

rope kid
Feb 3, 2001

Warte nur! Balde
Ruhest du auch.

I really don't understand the removal of grazing hits though. Took me by surprise and it changes the math on EVERYTHING.
Players complained that Grazes usually felt inconsequential for damaging attacks, overpowered for CC/Affliction attacks, and generally confused them, math-wise.

BTW, almost all long cast spells (e.g. Fireball) inherently have Graze.

rope kid
Feb 3, 2001

Warte nur! Balde
Ruhest du auch.

The Graze range is gone by default, so 1-49 is Miss, 50-100 is Hit, and 100+ is Crit.

If something has Graze on it, the range is 35-49, IIRC.

rope kid
Feb 3, 2001

Warte nur! Balde
Ruhest du auch.

Deadfire gives +1 Dex. The UI is just weird and doesn't show a scrollbar.

rope kid
Feb 3, 2001

Warte nur! Balde
Ruhest du auch.

Scorchy posted:

Yeah they're the per-encounter resource pool. You can choose what to expend them on, but you can't get them back except by Empower or by special cases (ie. Paladins have a talent that recoups them for Sworn Enemy costs if the enemy dies).

It's kind of dumb if your pool is an odd number (5) and your skills all cost like 2 or something.
Currently there are a fair number of "martial" base abilities that are relatively modest in their 1st level form, but can upgrade into significantly more powerful versions. Escape is a notable example. It can upgrade into Shadowing Beyond, which turns you invisible. Because some of these upgrades become really potent, being able to do them 9+ times in a fight might get a little silly. We're going to look into ensuring that the 1st level martial active abilities all have a 1pt cost, then unlocking new abilities (as opposed to upgrading the base). So if you took Escape, that would allow you take Shadowing Beyond, but it would not remove Escape from your action bar. You could then have a 1pt Escape and 2pt Shadowing Beyond if you want the super cool version.

rope kid
Feb 3, 2001

Warte nur! Balde
Ruhest du auch.

Meyers-Briggs Testicle posted:

meanwhile I'm spending my time figuring out how to mod the hell out of it
Nice. Has anyone done any class/ability/item h4x yet???

rope kid
Feb 3, 2001

Warte nur! Balde
Ruhest du auch.

Entropy238 posted:

:eyepop:

Going to make things ever harder.
A lot of enemy recovery times were also set to Fast (1s). I had requested Fast to be 2s compared to Average at 3s, and that only a handful of weapons (the same ones as in Pillars 1) be set to Fast.

I bumped Fast to 2s, since it was always intended to be two thirds Average, and asked our system designers to bump all of the 1h melee weapons (other than the Pillars 1 "fast" ones) to Average.

So even if a monster retains a "Fast" recovery, it's still going to be 2s instead of 1s now.

rope kid
Feb 3, 2001

Warte nur! Balde
Ruhest du auch.

StashAugustine posted:

Also, is there any way to get immunity against particular afflictions (particularly Confused/Charmed)?
Any Inspiration of the Attribute an Affliction debuffs (Int, IIRC for Confused/Charmed) should be counter them.

As another example, a Frenzied barb should be able to neutralize any Mig or Con Affliction by having Strong and Fit.

rope kid
Feb 3, 2001

Warte nur! Balde
Ruhest du auch.

I don't really get why
I've seen this preface a lot when talking about new or changed mechanics. Almost every change we've made has been due to feedback on Pillars 1.

* People complained that the DR system felt "mushy" because it was a linear, sliding scale (it also didn't deal well with high damage values) and caused damage value bloat.

* People complained that most of the general Talents felt generic.

* People didn't get the Endurance/Health split.

* People either didn't understand the purpose behind the camping supplies system or understood it but burned up all of their per rest resources every encounter anyway.

* People didn't like the mushiness of the Interrupt/Concentration system and that Interrupts seemed relatively low impact.

* People were overwhelmed by the sheer number of priest and druid spells they got at every power level.

* People didn't like that there was an entire category of priest spells that existed just to counter Afflictions.

There's very little that we've changed that wasn't the result of player feedback. In all of these cases there was either a contentious group opposing the change, but we proceeded because we felt ultimately it would produce a more consistent experience for more players, or there was no serious contention that I/we ever saw.

In this case, I agree with ProfessorCirno that the hyper min-maxer who swaps armor for all of their characters in every battle is a theoretical rather than practical possibility. And it's worth noting that anyone floating around with an Armor Rating within a point or two of being half the enemy's Pen is only a Crit away from getting an extra 30% damage on top of the Crit's damage bonus (Crits also increase Pen).

rope kid
Feb 3, 2001

Warte nur! Balde
Ruhest du auch.

99% of Pillars of Eternity players do not play optimally because it requires an enormous amount of time and effort. Most players care about viability first and foremost. If they're viable, they don't have much of an incentive to be optimal. We're not designing our standard difficulty combats to require people to micromanage their armor.

rope kid
Feb 3, 2001

Warte nur! Balde
Ruhest du auch.

Actually naked would be terribad because almost everything would do an extra 30% damage if they hit you.

Additionally, you're opting out of whatever bonuses come with the unique armors. In the early game, that's not much, but later on, that's a potentially huge sacrifice just for a modest Recovery bump.

rope kid
Feb 3, 2001

Warte nur! Balde
Ruhest du auch.

Isn't that going to be happening anyway though for a lot of things? I mean, if the Skulking Terror has Pen 11, he's going to be doing +30% damage against most armors anyway regardless. Depending on the point at which you start taking the bonus 30% damage, whatever it is, past that point, you might as well go full monty.
If the only thing you're fighting is something that consistently has Pen that's double literally all of your Armor Ratings, yes. It isn't difficult to bump level-appropriate armor into a range that's more than half of the enemy's Pen (in this case, 6). It's much more difficult to climb up from literally 0.

Akong posted:

I like the penetration system and the more active micro management it requires. I think it's fun. But it seems to me, that for the Endurance/Health system you are catering to people who don't bother to even try to understand a system that is, quite frankly, very easy to understand. Yet for the Penetration system you are making it significantly less intuitive. Would the people who didn't bother to learn the Endurance/Health system in the first game bother to learn the penetration system, or will they just feel frustrated when they end up doing no damage? So far, I haven't seen any streamers who managed their penetrations without me telling them about it, which is a problem when it is so crucial right now.
There were generally two types of players who didn't enjoy the Endurance/Health system: 1) those who didn't understand it -- I don't think it's useful to suggest they didn't try to understand it 2) those who understood it very clearly but went into fights dumping every per rest resource they had as quickly as possible to ensure a fast, resounding victory. Because Pillars and Deadfire are largely open games that allow backtracking, retreat, wandering off of one quest and into another, etc. it's difficult to devise mechanics that "force" players to ration out per rest resources over several fights and run out/low on them just at the end of a big dungeon or something similar. It's something that's been beaten to death in these threads. Ultimately, even the people who "get" it often refuse to ration out resources and subsequently feel forced to go back to town/inns because we limit their maximum camping supplies.

I have had a lot of discussions about the Pen system at Obsidian. I agree that the original system in Pillars 1 is easy to understand. However, I believe that just because it is easy to understand, it is not necessarily easy to make decisions based on that information. Especially when you start getting into double digit Armor Ratings, to actually be efficient, you need to not only know the damage types of your attacks but the damage ranges and how they compare to those Armor Ratings. 15 Corrode and 10 Burn. Better hit that guy with a Burn spell. But if the Burn spell does 6 less average damage than the best Corrode spell you have, then you shouldn't. 10 Slash vs. 14 Crush. Oh, I should switch from my quarterstaff to my battle axe and shield. Well, no, because with bonuses your quarterstaff does more than 4 average damage more per hit. These are relatively simple calculations, but think about how many you're making for characters over the course of a fight.

Beyond that, we also couldn't have low damage attacks that could get through armor unless we built in a sizable AR bypass, so you had to understand that as well. And at the other end of the spectrum, high damage attacks made most armor only marginally valuable. It's difficult to really "armor up" against 100+ damage of dragon breath in Pillars 1.

I do not dispute that Deadfire's Pen system is more difficult to learn than Pillars 1's system. My belief is that once you do learn it, it makes decisions about the efficacy of attacks much clearer over the course of the full game.

rope kid
Feb 3, 2001

Warte nur! Balde
Ruhest du auch.

Ehhh . . . sortof.

I think it absolutely solves the damage bloat and bypass issues. I like the penetration / rating idea and think it's a step forward.

My issue is only with the fixed thresholds, because they seem to add back in that same kind of metagamey calculation (10 slash vs 14 crush, etc. as above) that you're so close to moving away from.

Take the penetration / armor rating system and make that sliding scale and it seems like you've solved all the problems at once. The system is clean and intuitive and you've solved your high-end bloat and bypass issues (that dragon breath may do 100 points of damage but if it has only 3 pen then the bulwark spell would reduce its damage by 25%.).
I think making it slide would likely make it harder to learn because it would return to mushy town where it can kinda sorta be ignored as long as you can pump out enough damage. A 70% reduction damage is severe enough to not ignore. Is 50%? Is 30%? 10%?

What's an intuitive progression of reduction? 10% per point? Does that actually yield a meaningful enough reduction to make someone care about relative Pen vs. AR? Or is this a case where some sizable portion of players just don't want to think about damage types/engage with any related subsystem in any form, so taking the reduction to negligible values allows them to do what they actually want, which is ignore the mechanic entirely?

rope kid
Feb 3, 2001

Warte nur! Balde
Ruhest du auch.

I think this is where I'm not following you -- I don't really get what you / players / people mean by "mushy."
Mushy = I see information and I'm not sure what, if anything, I should do with that information because the cost:benefit analysis is not straightforward. Should I care if I'm doing 10% less damage? 20% less damage? Should I attack with something else? Does it matter? If nothing else, Deadfire's current Pen/AR system makes that calculation pretty easy. If your Pen is below the target's AR, it's a really bad situation and you should do almost anything other than move forward with that attack in its current state. Attack another target. Switch weapons. Use a different attack. Empower an ability. Get a buff.

When that difference moves into the marginal realm, it's not really a straightforward calculation. A 10% damage difference may or may not mean the difference between downing a target in 5 hits vs. 6, which is the actual importance because that's your action economy. A 70% damage difference is almost certainly going to result in the enemy taking far more attacks/actions/time to defeat.

rope kid
Feb 3, 2001

Warte nur! Balde
Ruhest du auch.

Like, this is the sort of calculation you only ever had to do on PotD in PoE 1, and rarely even then.
Of course they didn't, because the system was mushy and marginal. Immune meant "Do not go this way". Any other number just suggested, "Well, try to do a shitload of damage."

rope kid
Feb 3, 2001

Warte nur! Balde
Ruhest du auch.

You can hover on combat log entries and press shift to see (hopefully accurate) deets.

rope kid
Feb 3, 2001

Warte nur! Balde
Ruhest du auch.

WarpDogs posted:

Said a different way, we all have mental models for how things should work - even the fantastical or unrealistic - and PoE seems to almost go out of its way to avoid using them ...
This Pen thing just feels like it's taking one of the few intuitive systems - bigger armor = more protection and less speed - and making it a lot harder to understand for little gain in gameplay
I would think that the idea of armor protecting you from damage in a linear fashion isn't particularly intuitive unless you play certain types of RPGs. The whole point of armor is to prevent weapons from getting through. Armor that prevents weapons from getting through can mitigate an enormous amount of damage, but once weapons do get through, the results are far, far worse. Ten arrows hitting a mail shirt and almost getting through is far preferable to one arrow hitting a mail shirt and actually penetrating. While wearing "type II" body armor, getting shot five times in the chest with a 9mm would probably be less consequential than getting shot once in the chest with a .44 Magnum. The former can't (typically) penetrate it. The latter can.

Is that intuitive to people who people who play RPGs? For this audience, it's clearly less intuitive than a sliding scale, but it's not a bizarre concept plucked from the ether. The concept, if not the exact mechanic, has also appeared in other tabletop and CRPGs from GURPS, Rifts, and Friday Night Firefight/Cyberpunk 2020 to Darklands and Wasteland 2.

quote:

I can appreciate how frustrating it is for people to theorycraft and poke a bunch of holes in a work in progress, but I get prickly when it's brushed as aside as people just not understanding.
I'm not sure whom you're addressing. I'm not brushing the criticism aside as people not understanding. People who are actually discussing the system seem like they understand it pretty clearly.

rope kid
Feb 3, 2001

Warte nur! Balde
Ruhest du auch.

bongwizzard posted:

The crpg player-base seems pretty divided along these lines and I hope that sooner rather then later game designers stop trying to accommodate both in every title.
Hmm.

*The Beatles' "Yesterday" begins playing in rope kid's mind as his memory rolls back to the alternate timeline where Nelson Mandela died in prison in the 80s, water was spelled "watar", and Icewind Dale I and II were blockbuster critical / commercial hits, compared favorably to Baldur's Gate I and II, which were weighed down by companions and their relationships*

rope kid
Feb 3, 2001

Warte nur! Balde
Ruhest du auch.

2house2fly posted:

Why would you be remembering an alternate timeline
Uh, Mandela Effect??? Duh!!!!

rope kid
Feb 3, 2001

Warte nur! Balde
Ruhest du auch.

Empowering increases Pen.

rope kid
Feb 3, 2001

Warte nur! Balde
Ruhest du auch.

bongwizzard posted:

There isn't really a lot of options for "tactical-lite, iso-view squad-based combat" out there so it's kinda frustrating to see a series that I really enjoyed moving in a direction I am less interested in.
If you have not yet played Battle Brothers, begone, foul dwimmerlaik.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

rope kid
Feb 3, 2001

Warte nur! Balde
Ruhest du auch.

Zore posted:

This is assuming there are no enmies with high HP and low armor which seems to be a weird assumption to make.
I can confirm there are "sack of hit points" soft enemies in the game.

• Locked thread