Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
CVE
Jan 27, 2012
Hey ropekid, is there any intention on opening other ways to pledge (PayPal, direct bank transfer and their ilk)? Don't really have a credit card these days because it just isn't used in Germany all that much and the one I had for registering here is long gone as I didn't really use it and didn't want to pay the fee.

Would be nice if I could support your effort because I appreciate it very much. Still I can understand if it would be too much work for not much pay off on your part.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CVE
Jan 27, 2012
Is it a possibility to have Chant damage and Summon damage and other stats relevant to the two show up in the character's stat block for the second game. As far as I know currently it only counts people killed (at least with the Dragon Thrashed chant) and I loved to see how much damage it actually puts out totally without checking every single roll. It's just a minor thing but it would be cool unless it would take massive amounts of work due to how the engine works.

CVE
Jan 27, 2012
The whole system is probably what enables the Fighter subclass as well since it was stated he gets bigger bonuses from abusing weaknesses. So my best guess would be that it will get something like a 150% multiplier or something. If we start to high for everyone it might either make that particular subclass too powerful or worthless.

CVE
Jan 27, 2012
Anyone of you got some experience with doing One Handed builds? Is a rapier build viable on let's say a rogue so you hopefully bypass Armor or is it still Saber or bust if you want to go one handed. Would be a hard run. Not masochistic enough for another POtD run I guess but I like having a mechanics main character. Sub weapon would be Mace or Dagger to bypass different armors. Vierina's Leaves or Sword of Daenysis probably as a main weapon since they all benefit from weapon focus noble.

CVE
Jan 27, 2012
Backed now through PayPal as well even if it's post campaign. Thanks for making it possible and I hope everything goes smooth in development.

CVE
Jan 27, 2012

Diogenes of Sinope posted:

I'm wishing I hadn't scaled WM1, Galvino's Workshop is kicking me in the balls. Iron constructs nuke with their corrode blast and then it's a race to crowd control the unstable constructs before they turn everything to poo poo. Otherwise it's been smooth sailing though!

Yeah Galvino's workshop made me mad. Then came the Battery and it's Sirens. gently caress those so hard although going in with manly a punching party probably did me no favors.

Anyone got a short guide to Barbarians? I think I'd like to create a Conan like character since so far I have only been playing Chanters. Preferably someone who can hit some conversation options which might mean Intelligence for the barbarian.

CVE
Jan 27, 2012
Thanks for all the replies. Would dual wielding be an option let's say either sabres or battle axes (Edge of Reason, We Toki) or is the damage drop off too much compared to Greatswords or Pikes and their ilk?

CVE
Jan 27, 2012

cgfreak posted:

Huh. Best narrative flow is finishing Act 2 up first imo, I always imagine the Watcher is all "oh poo poo I was right in the middle of an assassination and a hugeass riot that burnt down half the city, better lay low for a while".

Problem is that if you lay low for a while Thaos plot might be done. You have your first lead and are hot on his heels for the first time when Act 2 ends and then you piss off for a month to Stalwart.

CVE
Jan 27, 2012

BadAstronaut posted:

Got it, thanks a lot. Any tips on party formation? I've now sent Kana home but he is/was my best at mechanics, so I'm quite without a rogue/someone with thieving skills. I have the Grieving Mother, Eder, Sagani, Hiravius, Aloth and myself (Paladin). Feels like I could do with getting Kana back, or finding a rogue somewhere.

Sort of tempted to leave Grieving Mother at the stronghold for a while and pick her up later. Hiravius is not amazing (or maybe I have not yet figured out how to play with a druid in this game) so if he has his own quest to complete, I'd like to get that done then drop him and pick up Grieving Mother again.

Any opinions on this?

For that quest Grieving Mother grants you another solution unless you are a cipher yourself. And there were no rogue companions in the main game before the expansions so training someone in mechanics is advised when venturing through human habitat because traps can become really nasty. Kana and Grieving Mother get a slight bonus due to their class for this although the rogue companion gets the biggest (but you have to go into White March to pick him up) but you can do with anyone you like as long as you focus on it as otherwise you won't be good enough for high level traps without items.

Druids you want to focus on the storm spells which are all amazing and then you can buff up Shapeshifting to do absurd damage for a short time (or twice if you give him the Caed Nua scepter). Wildstrke belt/Wildstrike Shock/Heart of the Storm/Greater Wildstrike Shock and he hits about 70-80 dmg per swipe if he hits. You can use any other element as well but Shock synergizes with his best spells.

Other great Druid spells are nature's Mark early on, Moonwell, Form of the Delegarn, Insect Swarm if you can get it to stick and a couple of others that I'm missing now since I tend to have Hiravias maul people. Always be careful though as most druid spell are completely free of a safe area for the group and do friendly fire as long as they are in the aoe (except the storm spells which is another reason they rock)

CVE fucked around with this message at 12:44 on Mar 22, 2017

CVE
Jan 27, 2012
Upped my pledge to include the DLC as well. Gonna look forward to the game. Closer to the release I'll probably run through it again with a canon character.

CVE
Jan 27, 2012
Everything so far makes me glad I backed it, Hopefully we can get some information on the sub-classes for Chanter which was pretty much my class in all my playthroughs. It just felt so right. Please don't nerf Dragon Thrashed too badly if you do, pretty please.

CVE
Jan 27, 2012

Ginette Reno posted:

Not using invocations at all and just walking around chanting the Dragon Thrashed is pretty much the optimal use for a chanter. A lil boring though.

Dragon Thrashed was a main thing for sure but I love the paralyze invocation and the summons as well. The Ghost kicks rear end, as do the ogres. My minor pet peeve was that it didn't track summon and chant damage in your character sheet.
But it having worse penetration would make sense. Maybe even givce them a chant that increases penetration or an invocation that allows things to punch through better.

CVE
Jan 27, 2012
I'm excited for my Chanter to carry over. Though I'm not sure if any of the subclasses are worth all that much. For Beckoner it depends on how much it weakens the creatures compared to having more of them. The Skald could be great depending on how offensive invocations are handled (if it works for things like At the Sound of his Voice the Killer froze Stiff instead of the pure damage once which were mostly mediocre at best outside of White Worms and the Seven Nights she wailed invocation) and the Trobadour is outside of getting better phrases gonna be a carrier for Dragon Thrashed for the most part or for multiclassing.

I hope they don't nerf Dragon Thrashed too much. I assume it will get hit with the nerf stick but it's not like the other classes didn't have their own bullshit as well. I could see buffing the raw numbers and maybe making it an Invocation since it was by far the most powerful effect given by a phrase.

CVE
Jan 27, 2012

ProfessorCirno posted:

It's not that Dragon Thrashed is super OP and makes chanters the best, it's more just that you don't...need to do anything else. Have high Might, probably high Int so it covers a wide area, and use Dragon Thrashed, and you're done. It also comes online way sooner then most everything else of similar power, and has no limitations.

Yeah that's the problem I see with it as well. I loved it but it's set it and forget it for the rest of the game outside of maybe one or two specific fights at most if at all. It's just that much more powerful than any other phrase that was in the game for the chanter for what it did. Hence the idea of maybe making it into an Invocation instead of a phrase. But if nothing changes I'm completely fine with it as well.

Sacred Immolation comes 4 levels later for doing pretty much the same since rarely an encounter survives the duration, but it doesn't make the rest of the paladin kit pointless to a huge degree. Wizard,Druid and Priest had fight changing buffs/spells but in theory they were stopped by Vancian spellcasting etc. Defensive Mindweb comes into question but you also have to build the focus up and it comes later as well.

We'll see how they handle things. Chanter got a huge buff from no longer having to worry about health if all things stay the same since that is usually when you keel over instead of running out of endurance.

Ginette Reno posted:

The thing that makes it so good too is you can completely ignore melee dps. You can gear your Chanter out with a nice shield, grab the shield talents, and then get as high deflection as you can manage. No other class in the game can focus so completely on defense and not sacrifice a lot of offense by doing so.

The only irritating thing about Chanters is their health pool is low which means you will need to rest a little more often than another character might. But since Chanters also have no real abilities they need to take on level up you can also afford to grab Wound Binding and other defensive/utility talents.

Yeah. It did that as well.

CVE
Jan 27, 2012

Basic Chunnel posted:

I find myself most baffled by Aloth, personally. His hook re: the Leaden Key felt insubstantial and it felt to me like his most prominent character trait was his timidity, which is never a good look. I got no sense of the perspective on life, which is less than I can say for any of the other characters, even GM

Because the Leaden Key for all it's prominence felt pretty insubstantial. They are just a tool of Thaos but you don't really get to known any of them or delve deeper into the whole thing outside of your flashbacks and the few interactions in the hideout in Defiance Bay. Even when you get the lead from the hideout you actually don't really meet any agents of them from the top of my head (granted you can slaughter the entire hideout and it fits Thaos personality to work alone for the most important things) but Aloth never really goes into how high in the Leaden Key he was, he never acts against your interest or creates any form of crisis for his involvement outside of the one talk after Act 2 and then it's done. His entire Character as an abused child is over at this point as well since Iselmyr doesn't really show up after the Sanctuary part either.

There is an interesting story to be had there and on the flipside at least the Iselmyr story can continue in the sequel.

CVE
Jan 27, 2012
Going through Pillars again it still irks me a bit that Drawn in Spring and Sheathed in Autumn don't work of the same Weapon Focus. It wouldn't even be ideal at all but I like the symmetry of the names.

Does anyone know if One-handed Style, Minor Threat (Orlan) and Dirty Fighting stack? And if so, how they stack?

CVE fucked around with this message at 17:25 on Oct 10, 2017

CVE
Jan 27, 2012

Avalerion posted:

Balance concerns aside, having the "I'm strong" and "I can take hits" stuff on the same stat would kind of make more sense anyway, it's all just a subset of muscles and physical fitness isn't it. Realistically, would a person with high Strength but low Constitution even be possible?

Hieronymous Alloy posted:

Roids, man. Hell of a thing.

Yeah that. A weak heart but muscles of roids.

CVE
Jan 27, 2012
I hope someone can test how much the damage etc. for summons is reduced on the Beckoner subclass of the Chanter and whether having more summons will be worth the reduced statistics.

CVE
Jan 27, 2012

CFox posted:

Those pirate outfits seem really good. Is there anything else in the game with -10% recovery like that? I checked the wiki real quick and it didn't look like there was anything between clothing (-0% recovery) and robes (-15% recovery).

I think Berathian Priest robes in Radric Keep are -5% recovery over normal robes, so 10% recovery.

CVE
Jan 27, 2012

Entropy238 posted:

lmao

I'm going to get round to playing the Beta this evening and I can't wait. Will probably go with a Chanter/Paladin combo.

Thanks very much for the key goons.

Enjoy. And then tell me everything about the Chanter that I can think about and then some. :cheeky:

CVE
Jan 27, 2012
From what I've seen written it seems Fire Godlike got kicked in the dick on their racial (well them and Moon Godlike were fairly strong I suppose). Not sure how Batle-Forged works in the sequel and whether it still scales but having Ashen skin givng +2 Burn Armor whereas Pale Elves get +4 to both Frost and Burn Armor and still being able to wear helmets, makes the Fire Godlike racial seem a bit weak unless there isn't a worthwhile helmet option in the entire game to be overly dramatic.

CVE
Jan 27, 2012

Meyers-Briggs Testicle posted:

basic weapons with pen 5
rod
wand
hunting bow
sword
spear (wtf)
sabre
rapier (wtf)
quarterstaff
pike
hatchet
greatsword
flail
dagger
club
pistol
blunderbuss

no equipment has pen 6

basic weapons with pen 7
mace
warhammer
morningstar
pollaxe
stiletto
crossbow

basic weapons with pen 9
estoc
arquebust
arbalest

A couple of weapons are pretty much in strange tier mostly because of game reasons I think. Pistols should be higher on the penetration as currently just from looking at those values they might just be completely replaced by the Blunderbuss. But if you put them in the 7 pen tier then the pistols will eclipse crossbows. So they are kinda trapped in the system. Otherwise I agree on the Rapier since it was a weapon to hit the weak points of armor with but since we can't give it an inherant bonus against chain mail or other armor that doesn't cover the body completely we are kinda stuck here and probably need to take speed of the weapon into consideration. Whether they will find use (gameplay wise as rp wise rapiers are a great weapon) will probably come down to their modal and of course the unique enchantments for rapiers in comparision with other options.

CVE
Jan 27, 2012

FIrst game or backer beta?

Since he speaks of penetration values I assume the backer beta.

CVE
Jan 27, 2012

snoremac posted:

Durgan’s Battery was bloody hard, fun though.

Question: can the adra/copper thing that’s supposed to free a character from being forced to use the cursed sword be found in WM Part 1’s content? I don’t want you to tell me where the thing is, just whether it can be found before jumping into Part 2.

Yeah It can be found before attempting Part 2. Small help without any location named in case you get tired of searching it's in a base game area not the White Marches.

CVE
Jan 27, 2012

Prism posted:

Does that include 1H + shield?

Asking since I'm playing PoE1 and I have a character using that.

No they are talking about 1 Handed with nothing in the off hand. Shields are fine (well small shields are fine and maybe 1-2 medium shields if you want to play "optimally" but you easily get through with anything you want.) Don't worry to much about what gear you use if you aren't playing on POTD or hard when it's your first go around and enjoy the game.

CVE
Jan 27, 2012
How much does Devoted and Sharpshooter increase Penetration? Thinking about maybe rolling a Hunter with those subclasses (as I think about so many different choices as usual with a RPG coming out).

CVE
Jan 27, 2012

Scorchy posted:

Shattered Pillar is melee only :(

Dance of Death is a real weird monk ability, it costs 2 wounds, and it's +3 accuracy and +1 wound for every 3 seconds you don't get damaged. Why would someone pick that for melee.

Shattered Pillar damage dealer could use it for additional wound generation depending on how much AoE gets thrown around.

CVE
Jan 27, 2012
For people with Beta access how exactly does multiclassing work in respect to ability choices on lvl up? Say I take a fighter lvl at power lvl 7, Can I then select abilties up to the ones requiring power lvl 7 (in fighter, main class being higher of course) or is everything tied to progression so that for the higher lvl abilities you need several fighter levels even if you already have the power lvl requirements (outside of upgrades to earlier abilities).

CVE
Jan 27, 2012

Not like that.

You pick your class(es) at creation and are stuck with that choice, but you can take powers from either class pretty much at will as you level up.

Thanks. That sounds fine to me for what I have planned. I assume the Devoted works with ranged weapons as well or is the subclass melee only? And how much penetration do warbows have currently? With Hunting Bows at 5 and the bigger guns at 9 I beliebe I would assume they would be at 7 for the slower rate of fire but could easily be 5 as well and just have a bit more damage outside of the modal.

CVE
Jan 27, 2012

frajaq posted:

wait I got it Fighter(Devoted)/Ranger(Sharpshooter) using arquebus for the ultimate crazy obsessed sniper

It was an idea I was tooting around but if I read Devoted right it only works with melee weapons.And Sharpshooter makes reload times longer so probably best for a beginning volley.

CVE fucked around with this message at 02:36 on Feb 5, 2018

CVE
Jan 27, 2012
Has anyone found something that works great with the firearms especially the arquebus? Just from looking whats available it seems the one thing designed for guns is NPC only e.g. Maya Gunhawk Ranger subclass. Sharpshooter seems to not be worth it due to increased reload time and guns already having good penetration.

Nothing else really stands out either when it comes to useing firearms at range outside of volleys with weapon switch or backstep from close range. Would be kinda sad to not have a great option for them as their were a bit underwhelming in the first game. Though I might undersell the change of Dex/Action Speed affected reload time.

CVE
Jan 27, 2012
Do we know what replaces the boreal dwarfes racial trait, since grazes are back in the game? I think we do but I can't find the info anywhere.

CVE
Jan 27, 2012
Does single-hand-style trigger if you wield a pistol in the offhand? Personally I think it should but could see that it would be a pain to actually program. Alternative to it would be two-weapon style which would obviously be great as well.

Even with all the rogue options in the game I probably will port over my current run of being a rogue and multiclass him to fighter for my swashbuckling action. Probably without any subclasses though since Streetfighter seems to nerf damage by a good bit and I don't intend to facetank with him all the time to get the benefits of the subclass but we'll see.

CVE
Jan 27, 2012

Subjunctive posted:

The who now?

With the latest patch there is a new merchant at Anslog Compass with new souldbound items and other goodies who shipwrecked on his way to the Deadfire Archipalgo.

CVE
Jan 27, 2012

Subjunctive posted:

Hmm, I can't find them. I have the latest patch, and the Deadfire Pack installed.

He is right near Ranga, the woman you have to visit for Aufrea quest. Might have to reload the zone. He kinda sticks out on the left side of the approach.

CVE
Jan 27, 2012
What I don't like about Galawains Ending is that it feels hypocritical. He is all about the hunt, survival of the fittest or smartest and generally about either geting tough/strong or die tryin unless I missed something which could be possible.

Yet in the ending he gives them a mental power boost which makes them strong enough to survive what comes but flies in the face of his entire doctrine. His ending should have been you absorb the power of all the souls for yourself because you were strong enough to get to this point and deserve the power.

Then there is the transplanting souls into other people, depending on how it's done it might make them stronger but there could be a much higher chance for them to become awaken due to more soulsstuff being there.

CVE fucked around with this message at 11:04 on Mar 30, 2018

CVE
Jan 27, 2012

Ginette Reno posted:

Who says Priests can't hit hard?

Nobody did. :cheeky:

Seriously though Shining Beacon, Cleansing Flame, Divine Mark etc. all can do incredible damage especially if you buff yourself up. It's just that everyone can do damage reasonably well but almost nobody buffs/debuffs like you do and most fights ended once you got everyone up to speed and cured their ills before you dropped your own bombs.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CVE
Jan 27, 2012
Do I need a DirectX 11 capable graphic card for it? Recommendations seem to lead that way which would suck since the first game ran without it just fine and I just assumed I would be ok.

• Locked thread