Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Geektox
Aug 1, 2012

Good people don't rip other people's arms off.
Im having a lot of fun with PoE and I've just finished assaulting Raedric's Hold by cheesing every big fight with Eder in blocking a door and everyone else behind him.

I think I have a decent grasp on all the game mechanics, but one thing that I don't really get is gear selection. For example I understand that heavier armour means that there's a longer CD between actions, but then it seems like all my frontline people should wear the heaviest thing possible and everyone else should just wear clothes?

And as for weapons, how should I go about picking what everyone should use? Hatchets seem good for tanks, and I've given Durance a gun since I figure that's the kind of range he should be at to reach to front and back lines, but for others I don't really get why picking one or another would make a difference (before they pick the weapon specializations). Is there any reason I shouldn't give Aloth a big two-hander for shits and giggles since it seems like wands don't do much different from any other weapon?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Geektox
Aug 1, 2012

I'm not exactly familiar with Avellone's work since i wasn't big into western RPGs growing up and PoE is basically my first IE game, but I don't understand all the love on the Internet for Durance at all. Maybe it's because I'm still early in the game but so far he's been not much more than "haha I'm a kooky rear end in a top hat who knows more stuff than you do".

Like I can't tell if I'm supposed to be reacting to all the poo poo he says as world-changing revelations or the rantings of an edgelord but either way it's not really adding to my enjoyment of the game. I'm hoping the character develops in a big way.

By contrast I had a big dumb smile on my face every time Eder talks about animals and it's enough to make me never want to remove him from my party.

Geektox
Aug 1, 2012

I wasn't necessary looking for Durance to become pleasant, per se, I think I just find his version of being holier-than-thou kind of exhausting but I suppose that fits with his character. I guess what he represents just isn't something I enjoy engaging with in games and is more a personal preference thing than anything else.

Trevor from GTA V is an interesting comparison because I really liked that character, because he's just goofy in how evil he is and represents the tone of the GTA series much better than the other two. HK-47 was another"evil" character I liked a lot because of how goofy he was.

Geektox
Aug 1, 2012

Speaking of White March, I've got a quest thingy to take out the leader of two mercenary camps. One of whom in the Longwatch Falls area. I can clear out all the rest of the enemies in this area just fine, but these guys just destroy me. My tanks gets knocked back and prone, most of the enemy group just dives the backline immediately and they destroy me in matter of seconds. Are these dudes super high level or something?

Geektox
Aug 1, 2012

My party is level 10 and I am on normal, thus far I've encountered very few encounters I couldn't brute force my way through, but with this and the Alpine Dragon I basically just can't even get a shot in before I'm dead. Reminds me of the one time I tried to play BG in elementary school and get wrecked by some wizard in the first town and never touched it again.

I reckon the secret sauce to beating this stuff is probably in use of consumables like scrolls and potions which I've not touched at all thus far. But none of my party has any amount of lore pretty much so I'm basically boned there. I've never been particularly good at micro either so that probably doesn't help

Geektox
Aug 1, 2012

What is your party supposed to look like gearwise around level 11? I still don't have suitable gloves, belts, rings and boots for a couple of people in my party, but everyone has decent uniques for armour and weapons.

I've seen some rings that are nice in Defiance Bay like the ones that give wizards and priests extra casts, but they cost like 80-90% of my total gold right now so I'm a little hesitant.

Geektox
Aug 1, 2012

Sagani is one of the only characters that doesn't try to foist their worldviews on you every opportunity they get, she's got no interest in the intrigue of gods and nobles, and she is just content to let you do your thing and tag along because you're the best chance she has to fulfill her obligations and get back to her family. Sagani is the fuckin best.

I do wish you could recruit her for PoE 2, can we just like make room on the ship for her entire family so she and Itumaak can come hang without leaving them behind.

Geektox
Aug 1, 2012

I want to know if I'm getting close to the end of the game, I haven't done Pt. 2 of the White March yet, thinking of waiting until after Twin Elms, but I just started meeting and talking to The Gods and about to jump in some kinda extra-spatial deathpit prison so I'm kinda afraid I'm getting close?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Geektox
Aug 1, 2012

Gotcha, thanks everyone.

• Locked thread