Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Inspector Gesicht
Oct 26, 2012

500 Zeus a body.

Is Eothas considered a bad guy for destroying the Stronghold? I always hated that thing.

Since I now have a PC with an SSD I can finally beat the White March, as the load times were excruciating before then.

Inspector Gesicht fucked around with this message at 19:30 on Jan 26, 2017

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Inspector Gesicht
Oct 26, 2012

500 Zeus a body.

It's amusing how in BG2 a load of your allies from BG1 die without any drama and sometimes offscreen: Ajantis, Tiax, Dynaheir, Xzar, Montaron, Khalid, Faldorn, and Safana all get the boot in such a manner you'd think the writers hated them. I wonder how they will write out previous party members in Pillars 2: "What ever happened to Durance?" "He... got scurvy."

Inspector Gesicht
Oct 26, 2012

500 Zeus a body.

Bioware wrote themselves in into a corner when they followed up the dirty dozen of ME2 with the leftovers from ME1, a hunk of meat who isn't an alien, a hunk of meat who is an alien but also DLC, and a Sexbot.

Inspector Gesicht
Oct 26, 2012

500 Zeus a body.

I liked the Effigy system more than the Humanity system in Dark Souls, so I'm all for breaking the conventions of the old IE games.

Inspector Gesicht
Oct 26, 2012

500 Zeus a body.

Holy poo poo, Torment 2 still isn't out yet, and when it is I'll have to wait a year until it's fully patched. And nobody outside Obsidian is doing the RTwP genre, that's worth spending money on.

I'll back POE2 on Fig and I won't mind it when the game gets delayed, because there is no Schafer or Inafune on-board to screw it up.

Inspector Gesicht
Oct 26, 2012

500 Zeus a body.

Best difficulty curve for Normal: Upscale just Act 3 and WM2?

Inspector Gesicht
Oct 26, 2012

500 Zeus a body.

If From Software can make the same game under a different licence then there's no reason Obsidian couldn't rehash Alpha Protocol's mechanics, given the opportunity.

Inspector Gesicht
Oct 26, 2012

500 Zeus a body.

Mass Effect 2 had the good idea to have a recap-comic at the start of the game so you could simulate a save from ME1, then it had a bad idea by making this comic DLC. Witcher 3 let you simulate all the choices from W2 except for that neck tattoo. What will Pillars 2 do for players who deleted their old save years ago?

Inspector Gesicht
Oct 26, 2012

500 Zeus a body.

Icewind Dale also has Tony Jay.

Inspector Gesicht
Oct 26, 2012

500 Zeus a body.

Am a backer, but not interested in the Beta.

In Pillars 1 you could level up soul-bound weapons by defeating enemies, the downside being enemies never respawned so you could run out of foes to fight. Will 2 be any different?

Also Pillars 1 was a traditional 3-act story. Act 1 was pretty linear with few options, and Act 3 was short and mostly optional. I hated the fact that for such a big part of the game Defiance Bay ceased to be relevant after Act 2, unlike Baldur's Gate and Athkatla which you never did leave behind. Seeing as you're on a boat in this one can you, like Dark Souls 1, wander off into a late-game area early on and get pounded into the dirt by high-level ogres?

Inspector Gesicht
Oct 26, 2012

500 Zeus a body.

I hope there's a conversation between Eder and the new Priest character, where Eder talks about how great it is to have a Healer in the party who doesn't have prominent body-odor or uses the word
"Whore" as punctuation.

Inspector Gesicht
Oct 26, 2012

500 Zeus a body.

I'm really annoyed that you can't kill that guy in Blood Sands without antagonizing the entire cult.

I've only upscaling Act 3 and White March 2. As someone who finds the Endless Paths tedious should I leave the last third on standard?

Inspector Gesicht
Oct 26, 2012

500 Zeus a body.

I think all 133 quests can add up to be rather fatiguing when you factor in both the density of text and the number of loading-screens. There's the main-quest, the quests in Gilded Vale, Dyrford Town, Defiance Bay, Twin Elms, the companion side-quests, the feud with Lord Gathbin, the bounties from Caed Nua, all fifteen-floors of Od Nua, and every single unskippable filler fight. It's not the longest game but it certainly feels like it.

My big problem is the sheer amount of unique-loot. Every couple of hours you to play quartermaster and dole out all this expensive crap that's hard to sort through and compare.

Inspector Gesicht fucked around with this message at 22:37 on Apr 18, 2018

Inspector Gesicht
Oct 26, 2012

500 Zeus a body.

Does Act 4 automatically upscale if you chose the option for Act 3?

Something that really bites me about POE1 is the sheer amount of unique loot. Every so often I have to park my party's rear end in Caed Nua and sort through all the countless Holy Grails and Excaliburs I've amassed and outfit each party member with the proper bonus. A downside of having so much customization is that one is left paralyzed by choice, even if the end-result is the same.

I haven't played POTD but I'm sure I'd actually use the crafting-system more than once. I hate bog-standard crafting-systems where to get the item you want you have to fill out an exact-shopping list. Most games would counter this system by either A: having only a handful of ingredients like Prey or MGSV, or B: have this merchant sell everything in unlimited stock like ACIV:BF. Neither option would make the crafting-system interesting, only less tedious.

Inspector Gesicht
Oct 26, 2012

500 Zeus a body.

How many of these previous party members are going to get the BG2 treatment? As in unceremoniously killed off the moment you meet them again like Dynaheir, Khalid, Xzar, Montaron, Safana, Faldorn, Tiax, and Ajantis who most people kill without realizing it's him.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Inspector Gesicht
Oct 26, 2012

500 Zeus a body.

What I want from Pillars 2 is tighter map design like in BG2 and quests that don't put me through so many loading screens.

• Locked thread