Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
KOGAHAZAN!!
Apr 29, 2013

a miserable failure as a person

an incredible success as a magical murder spider

CottonWolf posted:

Only a year apparently.

Whaaat. I thought I was being optimistic hoping for eighteen months. Twelve is crazy good.

The new character models :eyepop:

I'm not a hundred percent sold on multiclassing. The great strength of a class system- especially in a heavily tactical game like this- is strongly defined party roles and niche protection. The more classes you have, the harder that is to pull off. With eleven classes the design space was already feeling a little crowded; I'm just a tad worried that if you allow multiclassing into the mix things are going to start to get a bit mushy.

Though if there's anyone who could make it work, it'd be ropekid.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

KOGAHAZAN!!
Apr 29, 2013

Tell us about the balance, rope kid. What is your grand multiclassing design?!?!

You know you want to. It's announced now, you don't need to talk around it any more.

Also your kickfigstarter is going really well! Congrats!

KOGAHAZAN!!
Apr 29, 2013

Zore posted:

Oh, I meant as a fully fledged companion like Eder, not an animal companion.

It's be rad as hell, I agree, but- Xaurips can't talk. Players could barely loving abide Grieving Mother, and she used actual words on occasion. How are they going to take to a companion that can only communicate through yelps and mummery?

Vermain posted:

I'm glad for 5 player parties. It will allow them to write better companions,

Before anyone goes too far down this train of thought- there's no reason to assume that a smaller party size will imply fewer companions overall. They're still going to want at least one of each class, and I don't think they're going to have fewer of those. (I'd prefer two of each at a minimum, but that's a lot of writing).

(I really liked the six-man party :< )

KOGAHAZAN!!
Apr 29, 2013

Lt. Danger posted:

Tyranny has a clear high concept premise (what if you were fantasy Judge Dredd?) with apparently very reactive plot progression and literally larger-than-life characters that act as the backbone of the story. The big and weird ideas at its heart are front-and-centre throughout. The writing is quite janky at the best of times but again there's a strong concept lying underneath.

I'm like yes, but then Act 1 ends and you have to play the rest of the game.

I'll be up front though, I'm biased against Tyranny's writing for stupid reasons I'm not sure anyone should take seriously.

KOGAHAZAN!!
Apr 29, 2013

Pillars 2 should be a Fire Emblem-style tac RPG where you're fielding a dozen or more dudes at once. Get on it, rope kid.

KOGAHAZAN!!
Apr 29, 2013

Furism posted:

It's not _hard_ ; just time consuming especially for the QA. PoE isn't really fast-paced like a FPS is so your netcode doesn't have to be top-notch and trying to predict vectors and poo poo.

They'd need a server infrastructure though to connect people together because nowadays you don't want to ask people to open TCP and UDP ports and setup NAT and static IPs and all that - this is not 1999 anymore, people won't go for that, they want something that Just Works. I'm a network engineer and even I don't want to do that (mostly because of security reasons ; I'm paranoid when it comes to network security and so should everyone).

Well, I think the last hundred times this question's been asked, rope kid said it was Actually Really Hard™ and Totally Not Worth It™. He might have a tumblr post about it if someone wants to go tumblr diving.

In any case, I think we're all getting distracted with thoughts of romancing Eder when we should be talking about how rad Tropical Bird Ranger is. She's loving rad.

KOGAHAZAN!!
Apr 29, 2013

Chairchucker posted:

The spell system isn't the cooldowns, (which are present in PoE) it's the design your own spell thing.

I mean I guess this depends on how cynically you want to view it, but you're not really designing spells in Tyranny, you're just unlocking premade ones a category at a time and slapping modifiers on them.

KOGAHAZAN!!
Apr 29, 2013

frajaq posted:

"Edér's class is fighter/rogue"

Not fighter/ranger? This is bullshit :colbert:

KOGAHAZAN!!
Apr 29, 2013

So I'm inferring from this that the multi-classing is going to work like 3.X's? Pick a class to level up in every time?

KOGAHAZAN!!
Apr 29, 2013

Digital Osmosis posted:

Am I misunderstanding the term then? Spells that leave your head once your use them and can only be regained by spending a long time re-reading your spellbooks (AKA a long rest.)

The point of contention here is that you don't memorise specific spells. PoE wizards et al work more like DnD sorcerors; they get a certain number of casts per spell level per spell.

Personally I'm happy using the term just to mean "per-rest magic resources", that's usually the aspect people focus on when they debate whether it's good or not.

KOGAHAZAN!!
Apr 29, 2013

Zore posted:

If it was a Xaurip monk/barbarian i would buy 20 copies.

:yeah:

KOGAHAZAN!!
Apr 29, 2013

rope kid posted:

* Characters now have a combat idle for "no queued action", where they more or less stand upright with their weapons at their sides, looking from side to side like they don't know what they're supposed to be doing (because they don't).

Game of the year, all years.

rope kid posted:

Let me say something more broadly important here, though: these are design decisions that took ~a year or so to discuss, arrive at, and document. Explanations of every single one of them -- many of which are interconnected -- takes a while. We may or may not get through describing every change over the course of the Fig campaign.

If you ever do ever get the time, it's something I'd love to read.

KOGAHAZAN!!
Apr 29, 2013

I checked out the Torment beta last year. I don't really remember how the combat works in any detail, but I don't remember it being as eye-gougingly, brain-meltingly godawful as Urthor implies.

At no point was it good, but it was never in danger of making me quit either. It's just sort of there.

KOGAHAZAN!!
Apr 29, 2013

Well, I know I backed WL2 but passed on WL3 because of how WL2 turned out.

And the other way around, for PoE. Solidly crafted game, gave me a lot of trust in Obsidian.

KOGAHAZAN!!
Apr 29, 2013

Entropy238 posted:

Being able to bulk a rogue out with fighter levels would be helpful.

One would hope that any class that can't do its job properly as a pure build is getting heavily reworked in Deadfire.

I mean, everything's getting heavily reworked anyway.

(Random off the cuff idea: give every frontline class fighter-tier durability by default. Design fighters to excel at engagement manipulation and area denial instead.)

KOGAHAZAN!!
Apr 29, 2013

Entropy238 posted:

Conversely actually, I find that if you're playing the game too well (i.e. laying down hard cc often and successfully and with good defensive spells) then having a Monk around becomes sub-par because it's really hard to get wounds.

This is why I wouldn't want to mix a Monk in a group with a high level Cipher, because Defensive Mindweb is so powerful it actually hampers your ability to get wounds. I hope Ropekid has nerfed that ability for PoE2 - either make it so that the cipher has to concentrate to use the ability or reduce its duration to make it an "oh poo poo" button.

Yeah, I'm playing a monk game at the moment, and while I love where they sit on the survivability/damage output graph and their abilities, I don't really like the wound mechanic. "Do well but not too well" is an awkward target. I don't think any of the other classes are like that either- there's never a situation where a cipher could be doing too much damage, or where a chanter doesn't want to be chanting.

KOGAHAZAN!!
Apr 29, 2013

Avalerion posted:

Thing is here you are not playing one character, you are playing 6/5, so if everyone had a dozens of different things to click that could easily get overwhelming.

DnD4 actually did what you suggest I think but that works because everyone controls their own character.

Well, the problem here isn't how many classes have actives so much as how many actives there are total. Like, every time the priest gains a spell level they unlock seven or eight new abilities, and that's more than enough to be going on with.

There'd be no problem with every character in the party having a full suite of actives if "a full suite of actives" was four or five abilities, tops, ever, level one to level twenty.

Not that I think Obsidian will be taking the series in that direction.

e: the problem with dual wielding pistols is how are you going to reload a matchlock with only one hand???

The obvious solution is to strap a dozen fully loaded pistols to yourself at all times. :colbert:

KOGAHAZAN!!
Apr 29, 2013

I am wondering, Josh, if people couldn't wrap their brains around something as a simple as health/endurance, how are you planning to teach them this multi-classing system where a Fighter 4/Rogue 3 is secretly a Fighter 5/Rogue 4 and a bit?

KOGAHAZAN!!
Apr 29, 2013

I for one would be happy to see Ydwin as a full companion. Mostly because I really want someone to tell me what the Pale Elves' deal is.

It was the race I picked for my first playthrough, basically on a whim. Knew nothing about them. By the end of the game, I'd discovered that I was part of... a group of nomadic elves that live in a glacial Antarctic wasteland and worship the god of total annihilation?! That's pretty loving metal! Almost entirely too metal, in fact. I think that might be a Blind Guardian concept album.

But also: how exactly does that work? In detail? I want to know!

KOGAHAZAN!!
Apr 29, 2013

Captain Oblivious posted:

The answer to your question of what is the Pale Elves' deal is mostly "whatever the deal of the place they came from is".

Remember, PoE as a whole thoroughly rejects Bioware/standard high fantasy-esque ideas of races possessing a uniform culture. Nationality/Regional identity trumps racial identity in the PoE world. If you expect a PoE companion to act as a Mass Effect style mouth piece for their species you'll probably be disappointed when you get a Pallegina-esque response of *shrug*

Sure!

But: the Pelfs are, apparently, unusually concentrated in this one area/ethno-cultural group. And: it's that specific culture/race pair I want to know about. And: Pillars 1 was not exactly long on any sources of information on them, book or person or otherwise. I haven't been through Sagani's dialogue tree recently, but if I recall correctly even she didn't know much about them. And: given how obscure they are in the setting, it doesn't seem like there's going to be a lot of information on them in Pillars 2 unless it's coming from a person of that extraction. And: Ydwin is a person of that extraction!

I dunno, Oblivious, I think I've thought this one through.

KOGAHAZAN!!
Apr 29, 2013

As an incurable weeb I can confirm: elves are quite possibly the most anime concept ever invented.

KOGAHAZAN!!
Apr 29, 2013

Samuel Clemens posted:

It's less one side being superior to the other and more Harm being brokenly good while guns are subpar until you get the late-game weapons. Since almost everyone who went into tech wanted to be a fantasy gunslinger, that's obviously less than ideal.

Not me, I just wanted to play build-your-own Power Armour/spider-shaped robo-buddy. And the game delivered in spades.

Honestly, I was amazed to discovered that magic was considered so much stronger than tech. I'd found the pyrotechnic axe schematic early on and that just about broke the game in half. That plus Dog* plus the ocean of xp you're drowning in from the word go. The idea that the game could be even easier blew my tiny child mind.

*That ain't no goddamn Dogmeat expy, that's a loving wanamingo in disguise.

Fintilgin posted:

I know it isn't, but I hope the secret Obsidian project is Arcanum 2.

I hope it's something cool and new!

And that they have someone else doing the system design. I love those guys, but, uh...

KOGAHAZAN!!
Apr 29, 2013

bongwizzard posted:

I remember the mines being my usual quitting point, no memory of ogre rape.

The ogre rape camp thing is one of the longest, most obscure and most convoluted quest lines in the game, IIRC. If you even find it, I think there are multiple points where you can get a false ending with no indication that there could have been anything more to uncover.

(The gnomes have formed a conspiracy to forcibly breed male ogres with human women to create a steady supply of half-ogres for use as bodyguards. Oh, and you can't actually shut it down. Gross, weird and unwinnable by design.)

KOGAHAZAN!!
Apr 29, 2013

bongwizzard posted:

I'm sure it becomes a matter of taste some point, but I can play the jankiest first person shooter's with no issue, but most third person games make me feel like I just slammed six beers, but not in a fun way.

It sucks as like 50% of the games I am interested in are unplayable to me.

My problem with first person is (was?) the lack of peripheral vision. It's not so bad with shooters (though I did get a lot better at those once I started cranking the FOV all the way up), but anything with melee I find close to unplayable*. The ability to see the back of your own head in third person might be technically less natural, but I find the greater situational awareness it affords much more natural than first person's insanely constricted tunnel vision.

*Alright, fine, Zeno Clash was great.

KOGAHAZAN!!
Apr 29, 2013

The best thing about vertical advancement is when devs try to awkwardly hack it out again with content scaling. :v:

KOGAHAZAN!!
Apr 29, 2013

Airfoil posted:

Celtic languages were transcribed by drunken monks. I'd suggest Rope Kid include a reference to modern IPA standard...

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/International_Phonetic_Alphabet

Honestly, I doubt that's going to help anyone who's not already well versed in phonology. If you don't know what a voiced labio-velar approximant is then the revelation that that's the sound w makes (...usually...) isn't going to tell you anything.

(My diacritic game is garbage, but I'd put my money on something like "men-puu-gra". They didn't call it "double-u" as a joke.)

KOGAHAZAN!!
Apr 29, 2013

Not to interrupt the theorycrafting, chaps (in passing: the new pen system feels pretty good to me, but I agree that armour is probably tuned to high- the estoc should be something I break out for hard targets, not something I need to penetrate in 80% of fights), but I've just had the most amusing non-fight with the Engwithan Titan.

So the fight starts and it decides it really wants to hit the wizard with knockdown. As in will ignore engagement wants to. As in will ignore engagement and chase the wizard in circles Benny Hill style wants to. This, uh, goes poorly for it:

Whoops.

Also, my Shadowdancer is doing half the damage she should be for some reason? She's penetrating just fine there, but her fists seem to have lost their damage bonus. :shrug:

KOGAHAZAN!!
Apr 29, 2013

Alas, the log is now lost to time.

I think something screwy is going on, though. The inventory screen is currently telling me that I do 10-15 damage with fists. Straight out of chargen, after levelling to 6, that number was... 2x-29, I forget the exact lower bound. Definitely was not under any sort of damage buff on the quay in Tikawara.

The inventory screen also thinks I should be doing 29-39 damage with a sabre (the sabre info page claims it's actually 21-29, which sounds more reasonable).

...these numbers almost add up if the game is applying the sneak attack bonus? I can't tell if it is or not because this tooltip isn't working correctly:

e: The joys of beta :v:

KOGAHAZAN!! fucked around with this message at 03:48 on Nov 20, 2017

KOGAHAZAN!!
Apr 29, 2013

Oh poo poo ship combat is in

KOGAHAZAN!!
Apr 29, 2013

Dan Didio posted:

I will endorse this if you ensure that the PC gives the full 'I am a Super Saiyan!' speech everytime it procs.

My high-Res monk will finally be an anime.

KOGAHAZAN!!
Apr 29, 2013

Fintilgin posted:

Edit: fwiw I'm fine with them, but I see where the aggravation comes from. I think poe could have gotten away with dumping a lot more of the symbolic d&d baggage while keeping the core gameplay and no one would have cared except the same grogs who found some other excuse to rage about

I think I remember rope kid saying, way back during Pillars 1's development, that they surveyed backers and discovered that people really, really cared that there would be exactly six attributes. Like, more than they cared about what the attributes actually were- could have named them Up, Down, Top, Bottom, Strange and Charm and people would have been fine, because there were six. And I think they absolutely had to be rated between 3 and 18? And this is why the attribute system is so ludicrously fine-grained.

What I'm saying is, people get hung up on the strangest poo poo.

Something I think the conversation about weapon shuffling and armour pen is missing is that the tactical depth it adds to the system is... not very much at all?

"Are you penetrating? No? Did you bring a weapon that will? Yes? Switch to it. No? Suck it up or reload."

that's it that's the entire thing

Fire Emblem's weapon triangle is more of a consideration, and I do not say that to talk up the weapon triangle.

KOGAHAZAN!!
Apr 29, 2013

Only a quarter of players carried off the baby! I am honestly surprised.

KOGAHAZAN!!
Apr 29, 2013

Furism posted:

Just to compensate for my rant, here's a nice transcript of a Q&A that rope kid did on twitch: https://www.reddit.com/r/projecteternity/comments/89lny8/pillars_of_eternity_ii_deadfire_qa_april_2nd_2018/

Why is Josh so dead set against the noble pursuit of dual-shielding? Was he bonked on the head by a shield as a child? Twice? Does he want every game he makes to have a little asterisk next to its name (*not as good as Bravely Default)?

KOGAHAZAN!!
Apr 29, 2013

...it's all 3D models my dude, they work from every angle already. You just gotta render it twice.

(The actual answer is probably going to be "it's dumb" or "allowing players to stack deflection bonuses from shields would let them to create almost invincible tanks", I was mostly taking the piss)

KOGAHAZAN!!
Apr 29, 2013

Going by the beta, the ~mysterious magical problem~ seems to be dead people clogging up the adra/cycle of reincarnation. Which, as a god of rebirth, sounds like the sort of thing Eothas could be causing or want to stop. Though you'd think Berath would be the first responder.

KOGAHAZAN!!
Apr 29, 2013

Anno posted:

I find most fights in the beta to be pretty well designed and fun, greater sandblights aside. gently caress those guys.

They wouldn't be half so bad if scirocco was visible. Like, at all. Massive AOE DOTs? Which interrupt and stunlock your characters? That are completely silent? Ohohohoho gently caress off with that.

Do they blind you too? There's some sort of debuff. The list of total bullshit is so long I forget the specifics.

e: The liches are fun once you figure out how to deal with them properly. Near impossible before that, though.

KOGAHAZAN!!
Apr 29, 2013

I think rope kid said it's a triangular progression?

e: doesn't quite fit your data, though

KOGAHAZAN!!
Apr 29, 2013

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MK6TXMsvgQg

I kind of don't get the appeal of these sorts of extreme challenge runs, given the degenerate strategies they seem to force you into.

I like being stretched to the point where I have to use all my options, but not to the point where I have to indulge extreme bullshit to get by, you know? This doesn't look fun.

e: same problem I have with speedrunning, really.

KOGAHAZAN!!
Apr 29, 2013

CottonWolf posted:

Missed this, but Serafen totally is just Al Swearengen, and I couldn’t be happier.

I have to wonder how the people who thought Pillar's writing was flat and grey would respond to a game written like Deadwood

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jQnkzLuepD0

I would kill for that game :allears:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

KOGAHAZAN!!
Apr 29, 2013

Cheston posted:

+2 Penetration, increased recovery.

Ja, though I've never felt the need to use it with my monk. You get a buttload of pen from transcendent suffering now and a further +2 from thunderous blows- it's rare you're not overpenning, if anything.

(rope kid pls don't nerf thunderous blows I will cry)

• Locked thread