Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Savy Saracen salad
Oct 15, 2013
Looks like they decided to double down on everything that was sleep inducing boring from the first game. Even going so far to return the pedentic-philosopher protaganist, along with his boring henchmen whom have no personality or character motivation and just exist to agree and follow every whim / whatever the protaganist does and says like some lifeless automatons. The writing and presentation of the first game was sandpaper dry with everyone speaking like a walking encyclopedia. Truly gives you the impression that the characters were written by a bunch of shut-in nerds whom have no idea about how people talk and interact in real life. I am sorry for rambling but poe was such a dissapointment that I do not see myself backing this one.

Savy Saracen salad fucked around with this message at 23:40 on Jan 26, 2017

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Savy Saracen salad
Oct 15, 2013

Tomorrows Ace posted:

you pick the philosopher background for your watcher and u call obsidian the nerds lol

I did not pick the philosopher background, I picked the raider/bandit background and even then the protaganist talked in a way that was so jarring and bizarre to the selected background that I chose. In any case it does not matter, I know people whom also like me loved all previous obsidian titles but were extremely turned off by the dry writing of POE.

Savy Saracen salad
Oct 15, 2013

basic hitler posted:

instead of save imports, every game just needs a quick trip to Vizima after the prologue to have a very uncomfortable shave with a freaky medieval German interrogating you on some prior events, that serves the same purpose

I agree.

Savy Saracen salad
Oct 15, 2013
The Watcher is a very Yawn protagonist that does not have an ounce of personality to him/her. I do hope that this is the last installment that features the watcher since he/her already deconstructed the entire mystery of the setting in the first game (Which I consider it to be a very bad move from a narrative point of view since it removes the ambiguity between faith and reason, but then again the first game is full of blatant mistakes like that that makes the story fall flat on its face until at least the final chapter.) I do hope that obsidian have a vision for Eora going forward that makes it look less generic than what it is right now: low effort rip off of DnD ( since every DnD trope and its mother is inserted into the game with reckless abandon for ex. lets insert all the DnD classes? Why not. Lets put all the generic DnD creatures but with faux welsh names? Sure! Lets add DnD races from Dwarfs to plane touched ? Yep!) It is disappointing that the setting does not have any constraints at all and not an ounce of moderation to it. It is like they were going with the reverse of a minimalist approach: a maximalist approach with hundreds of spices on the same dish. Which is all the more bizarre because it makes the super serious main story line look really funny when you compare it to its surroundings, small lizards running with spears and shields and OoOzes and slimes crawling about lmao. It is like they were both designed by different committees that had no contact with each other. For the record I consider Dungeon sieges 3 to have more originality that PoE.

Savy Saracen salad
Oct 15, 2013
Was the Raider background removed?? RopeKid?? It was fun role playing as a cruel scoundrel from the Deadfire in Pillars 1. Also the whole hyperlink thing tells me they didn't listen to a word of the criticism leveled against the last game's writing. The problem wasn't incomprehensibility - it was lore dumping and unnatural characters. That problem is made severely worse with the new system and focus on even more made up language, not better. I really dislike the Pseudo Maori in the Dialogue.. Nobody in the world talks like that. Something about the dialogue seems off, seems artificial..

Savy Saracen salad fucked around with this message at 15:36 on Nov 16, 2017

Savy Saracen salad
Oct 15, 2013
Durance and Hiravias where the most entertaining companions of PoE, I will hear no talk of otherwise. The rest were basically sleep aids.

Savy Saracen salad
Oct 15, 2013

rope kid posted:

In Deadfire, the companions interject in conversations much more, NPCs respond to their interjections more, the topic system makes them develop attitudes toward each other, and they're just generally more reactive across the board.

The feedback we received during our internal dev play week was almost (?) universally positive as far as the companions' involvement in the story goes.

In New Vegas, Companions could attack you if you do certain actions , Like Boone with Legion or Veronica with BoS. I hope Deadfire has this kind of characterization , so that the companions could feel more alive and people with actual agendas, not just enforcers of the players will like in PoE.

Savy Saracen salad
Oct 15, 2013
Durance loving owns and it is refreshing to see a true depiction of the men of cloth/religion as they are (mostly) in real life. He has an uncanny resemblance to a certain Salafi preacher whom used to stalk my undergrad uni and promise women hell and damnation if they do not cover themselves (In Lebanon) which makes me wonder if avellone used the Salafi/Wahhabist preachers as a foundation basis in designing durance. In any case, it is a much better depiction of the men of cloth than a lot other fantasy settings, certainly much more better than the happy go lucky religious caste of dragon age.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Savy Saracen salad
Oct 15, 2013

Well at least Ash Of Gods is coming out the end of this month, will give me time to play it.

• Locked thread