Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Hodgepodge
Jan 29, 2006
Probation
Can't post for 251 days!

Elukka posted:

I've currently got a damage-focused fighter (me), Edér for a tank, Durance, Aloth, Maneha and Grieving Mother. Not sure Maneha is being that useful for me, I mostly took her along just to see if she had any comments about her god. :v:

Spoiled in case you'd rather go blind:

If my memory serves, her questline wraps up somewhere in there.

If it doesn't and I'm way off, I guess that would be kind of appropriate? :shrug:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Hodgepodge
Jan 29, 2006
Probation
Can't post for 251 days!

rope kid posted:

Imagine a world where the base class is arguably as valid a choice as a subclass.

*Lord Richard Attenborough voice* Welcome... to Deadfire!

B-but my Paladin 1/Sorcerer 1/Fighter 3/Shopkeeper 5/Blackblade of the Dire Twinks 10!!!

Hodgepodge
Jan 29, 2006
Probation
Can't post for 251 days!

Vargatron posted:

I think my favorite part of the game is this:

You get to the point where you finally get answers for a potential "cure" for being a Watcher and then you find out that there's nothing you can do about it and you're basically going to end up like Maerwald. Then all your party members come up to you and try and lift your spirits and tell you that they'll stick by you. I think that's one of the only times in a video game where I felt like the people I was traveling with legitimately gave a gently caress about me as the main character. Normally the MC is the one that has to fix the problems of the other party members and that kind of got reversed in that one scene.

The various party members check in and ask how you're holding up as well. Pillars has some of the best party interaction I've seen. Looking forward to how it gets developed in part 2.

Who's still in the new game? Glad to see Eder so we can go meet his god, but is Kana sticking around? And Durance? Those two were the best. And also the worst in Durance's case.

Hodgepodge fucked around with this message at 02:00 on May 22, 2017

Hodgepodge
Jan 29, 2006
Probation
Can't post for 251 days!
Zahua would be awesome, as he's my favorite character, but maybe a bit much to ask since he was an expansion character. Aloth... eh. I found him dull, not so much in general but compared to the party members who stood out more.

I didn't really get too into Pallengina's quest, but that gives me a hook for a pre-PoE 2 run, so I'm down for that.

Hodgepodge fucked around with this message at 01:59 on May 22, 2017

Hodgepodge
Jan 29, 2006
Probation
Can't post for 251 days!

Dick Burglar posted:

Aloth is a boring dour wizard and Iselmyr does not do enough to make him not-boring. Her banter with Eder is absolutely endearing, but there simply isn't enough of it to make me want to use up a party slot for it.

Also there needed to be a conversation option to [punch Durance in the face] several times throughout the game. Or at least "shut the gently caress up, Durance." I know he gets his dues in the end but good lord dude is insufferable. And no, "he's intentionally written to be insufferable :smuggo:" is not a valid excuse when the writer gives you no recourse but to go along with it except to FINALLY rip the rug out from under him near the end of the game.

I can only imagine how insufferable Margran herself must be. Even the chillest gods are pretty drat smug.

Hodgepodge
Jan 29, 2006
Probation
Can't post for 251 days!

ProfessorCirno posted:

One thing I liked in the expansion is how it felt like Ondra didn't really want to do all the poo poo she was doing, it's just kinda her job to do it and she has to and is justifying it a bit to herself. Between that and Eothas and Magran's god-killer weapon, while the gods are indeed assholes, it looks like they were programmed to be assholes, and that programming is starting to break apart.

Except Abydon, evidently. Totally restored his memory.

Hodgepodge
Jan 29, 2006
Probation
Can't post for 251 days!
You could also give Planescape: Torment a whirl.

Hodgepodge
Jan 29, 2006
Probation
Can't post for 251 days!

Mr.Pibbleton posted:

Man I remember playing baldur's gate enhanced edition and my LG monk met that wild mage npc they put in, she joined my party and then got super upset that I didn't want to bone her wacky pixie self that she left the party in a huff then I beat her to death in a public setting surrounded by dozens of witnesses and nobody said a thing BECAUSE SHE WAS THAT GOD drat ANNOYING.

This is frighteningly misogynistic, but the real crime is murdering someone for no reason as a lawful good character :colbert:

Hodgepodge
Jan 29, 2006
Probation
Can't post for 251 days!

Fruits of the sea posted:

PoE is all about tactical combat and the balancing thereof, while Numa Numa tries to provide a whole bunch of goofy alternatives to combat inside the combat system. If Nunenana's writing isn't grabbing you don't bother.

It's main focus is plot, and the little stories told by characters and items, as well as the choose your own adventure snippets. It's a lot like reading a science fiction anthology.

Sounds a lot like PS:T, which is all I ask of it.

PS:T is the only D&D game in which you max Int and Wis because dialouge options are more powerful than combat.

Cha is handled with a spell.

Hodgepodge
Jan 29, 2006
Probation
Can't post for 251 days!

bongwizzard posted:

I would just find whatever humanoid monster has steel bones and take a skull from one of them.

Also in a world with electrical magic, some kinda arch-welder isn't outside the realm of possibility.

Any order you get that the customer doesn't want animated is a good order.

Hodgepodge
Jan 29, 2006
Probation
Can't post for 251 days!

Ratios and Tendency posted:

Dog named Thaos ix Barkannon, named by Eder.

The flavor text must note that at home, he enjoys conspiring with Eder's cat, Queen Meowdica.

Hodgepodge
Jan 29, 2006
Probation
Can't post for 251 days!
based on the username, i'm going to guess bongwizzard is confused that it does not appear to be a bong

Hodgepodge
Jan 29, 2006
Probation
Can't post for 251 days!

Basic Chunnel posted:

Sagani's the character who benefited the most from what you could call PoE's conservative approach to CNPCs. She's basically what Bioware tried and failed to create with DA:I's Sera, an adventurer standing in for the setting's common folk. She's a much less cynical portrayal, which helps - she doesn't hold any reactionary parochial views on anything, she's not simple or lazy. She's honest and matter-of-fact and preoccupied with providing for her family. Her quest conflict is all about how her tribal traditions have been keeping her from them. She sticks around because doing so appeals to her sense of fairness and mutual aid.

Everything Sagani does and says is consonant with that strong core concept. In terms of making the character feel authentic, she does a lot more with a lot less than the prog epic project that is Durance.

All of which is to say she's the kind of character that RPG smarks say they want whenever they lament how whole universes revolve around the PC, and find boring when she arrives.

Now I want to assign a music genre to every companion.

I'm thinking Zahua is drums n bass while Erder is obviously classic country. Hirivas is like nu metal or something but that feels a little too harsh. Greiving Mother is goth metal. Kana is reggae.

Hodgepodge
Jan 29, 2006
Probation
Can't post for 251 days!
Maneha felt way too down to earth for a class defined by flying into a berserk rage on a regular basis. It seemed like they were going for another character cut from the same cloth as Sagani but it just did not come together.

Hodgepodge
Jan 29, 2006
Probation
Can't post for 251 days!
I enjoyed the flavour of being a double soul-expert, kind of made my character feel less in over her head.

Hodgepodge
Jan 29, 2006
Probation
Can't post for 251 days!

bongwizzard posted:

Not at all, what I meant was that like every game where I have read much of the story has been varying degrees of bad about longwindnesses and awful, awkward conversation and I believe/wonder if writers who have been trained to be economical with words and timing could help with this. If I want to watch a movie or read a book I can do just that, what I want from a game is "to play a game" and like all the common examples of well written video games have been pretty awful to actually play, so I am disinclined to get excited about a game that talks about the importance of it.

I feel like this is going to be one of those discussions where it isn't possible to meet your criteria for "good writing," which will be a shifting goalpost not out of malice on your part, but because of the difficulty of defining what determines your personal aesthetic judgement.

(e: I missed like a whole page of conversation here, d'oh).

Anyhow, having companions react to your choices with regards to factions and other companions sounds interesting. While I'm on the topic, any chance that you and your companions might have some conversations in a group, perhaps over drinks, rather than awkwardly standing around whereever you decide to initiate the conversation? That aspect of cRPG party relationships always seems weird to me, like your party is just walking along and then you all stop and chat with just one person in the group.

The one person thing might be unavoidable since there are so many possible party combinations, but it would be neat if you and your buds actually talked as a group over dinner in the hold occasionally like actual people.

Hodgepodge
Jan 29, 2006
Probation
Can't post for 251 days!

Airfoil posted:

Please develop HAL-style AI so the Pillars engine can fully emulate a human DM, tia

Player: Hmm, I don't think my character would like this Lord Shadowyn dude much. I wait until his guard is down, then knife him in the gut.

HalDM: .... .... .... are you sure you want to do that?

Player: Look, I want to kill this guy.

HalDM: I don't think that's a good idea. He's the main plot NPC and a totally awesome half-AI samurai with a dark, tragic secret.

Player: That's cool but I'm going to kill him.

HalDM: ...I can't let you do that, Dave.

With regards to motivation to explore the main plot, one thing I like about Bethesda's approach to TES games is that you basically are free to choose to proceed with the central plot if and when that's what you want to do. Of course that hinges on the game being more about the other content to explore somewhat, but I do like that it doesn't try to thread the needle between player and story defined main characters with contrivance.

Hodgepodge fucked around with this message at 00:54 on Jul 18, 2017

Hodgepodge
Jan 29, 2006
Probation
Can't post for 251 days!

bongwizzard posted:

That's why you reload and murder them for their treacherous thoughts you just discovered.

The best part of any FFT replay is naked Gafgarion talking smack like you didn't take his sword and he can still use his fancy skills.

Hodgepodge
Jan 29, 2006
Probation
Can't post for 251 days!

Iretep posted:

well the other problem i have with druids is i have a hard time roleplaying a tree hugging hippy who only craps in the woods.

Crazy redneck what does drugs instead.

Also the best part of having a main character Paladin is getting like +20 to all defenses from the mc-only disposition bonuses to Faith and Convinction.

Hodgepodge
Jan 29, 2006
Probation
Can't post for 251 days!
You could probably cover a lot of the gap by playing up their inherent accuracy with scrolls a bit.

Hodgepodge
Jan 29, 2006
Probation
Can't post for 251 days!

rope kid posted:

Fighters and rogues both have an expanded set of active abilities in Deadfire but fighters (especially) can be built for more passive play. The fighters' various push/pull abilities are much more effective due to fundamental changes in those mechanics. Rogues' movement and invisibility abilities have also been expanded and improved across the board. We're also trying to make "murder from hidden" more of a rogue-specific thing.

I imagine the subclasses help with fleshing the classes out a lot.

Hodgepodge
Jan 29, 2006
Probation
Can't post for 251 days!
I like Pillars' gods as commentary on ideology. The Leaden Key is basically dedicated to keeping anyone from putting on the glasses from They Live. Meanwhile these living ideas follow their own imperatives in directions never really foreseen by their creators, occasionally killing each other and even creating a new member of their ranks.

Meanwhile, it avoids the cliche of gods being literally empowered and dependent on faith, which is rarely used in an interesting fashion and incredibly anachronistic as a reflexive assumption.

The really funny thing about gods in popular fantasy is how strong the influence of Mormon theology of all things has been on the genre.

Hodgepodge fucked around with this message at 21:58 on Aug 3, 2017

Hodgepodge
Jan 29, 2006
Probation
Can't post for 251 days!

Dick Burglar posted:

How do you figure?

Lots and lots of Mormon sci-fi/fantasy authors, basically. The most notable related to D&D that I can think of offhand would be the creators of Dragonlance, but there are a ton scattered throughout the genres.

A big theme in Mormonism is that while there is only one God who created humans and is appropriate to worship, through following the Book of Mormon one may ascend in the afterlife to become a similar being and create life elsewhere. Similar evil beings seek to trap others in a lesser state in order to have power over them, and will offer immediate power to chosen servants. This translates really well into fantasy in particular.

Hodgepodge
Jan 29, 2006
Probation
Can't post for 251 days!

AngryBooch posted:

Or you know, like any polytheistic religion.

Hinduism is particular, but the only notable western adaptation of it I can think of is Zelazny's Lord of Light (I seem to recall a few of his other books drawing upon it somewhat).

Some interpretations of Hindu theology are really ripe for sci-fi. The Deva and Asura, etc, aren't always depicted as celestial spirits along the lines we would associate with divinity, but sometimes as closer to vastly more advanced beings. Buddhism also interpreted and spread Hindu theology across Asia, so you get interpretations such as the Deva not being gods, but rather powerful and benevolent beings who deferred to Buddha's immense wisdom, etc.

However, the other thing about Mormonism is that it's geographical center is in the American midwest. So the cultural impact is greater here simply from American authors being more likely to have known Mormons, etc.

Khizan posted:

I feel like that is less "Mormon theology has influenced fantasy" and more "Mormon theology is a fantasy".

Perhaps the same could be said of all religions. But enough talk! Have at you! Let's build a magic AI to make ours real!

Hodgepodge fucked around with this message at 04:56 on Aug 4, 2017

Hodgepodge
Jan 29, 2006
Probation
Can't post for 251 days!
Most of Pillars is great, but using the Forgotten Realms materials on divinity and transforming it into something actually interesting is downright miraculous.

Hodgepodge
Jan 29, 2006
Probation
Can't post for 251 days!

Kainser posted:

I honestly thought Calisca was the most compelling party member but welp

It actually felt like she had a purpose in the world and wasn't just waiting around for the main character to come pick her up like how I felt most of the other companions were.

It would definitely help to have some companions join you mid-quest as part of a dramatic narrative. A few companions work well as people just milling about, like say Durance, but most of them would be better served by a scenario which illustrates their goals and how those are served by hanging out with a questing murderhobo.

Hodgepodge
Jan 29, 2006
Probation
Can't post for 251 days!

hangedman1984 posted:

Yeah, but isn't that true of most games?

Maybe if by "games" you mean "PC RPGs based on or inspired by D&D." Go as wildly far astray as Final Fantasy (a console RPG series inspired by D&D) and teammates are expected to be an integral part of the narrative whose personal struggles are intimately connected to the main plotline.

If your plot concerns a power struggle with global or even regional implications, it's dead easy to come up with characters with a stake in it or affected directly by it. Not doing so is laziness, sloppiness, a deliberate attempt to mimic the feeling of a party of adventurers who gathered in a tavern to raid dungeons, or blind adherence to conventions set by people attempting to do the lattermost without consideration for whether or not it is appropriate.

Hodgepodge fucked around with this message at 02:47 on Sep 17, 2017

Hodgepodge
Jan 29, 2006
Probation
Can't post for 251 days!

Fintilgin posted:

Well, watching the video, it's not SO bad. I could see it working in a fps rpg like the modern Fallouts. Like if you're 'good strength', 'good constitution', and 'awful agility', and that's carried through from level 1 to the end of the game and it's reflected well in mechanics, I could even see it being better then the numbers in new-Fallout, which are essentially meaningless in defining your character for long because you can just pump them up to whatever.

And.... if you listen to the video it's pretty obvious that whatever the project is it's a first-person rpg with guns that 'Fallout fans will love'. Tons of the examples are about recoil or putting the crosshairs over someone.

So off-brand Fallout the way Pillars is off-brand D&D?

Borderlands spinoff, maybe?

Hodgepodge
Jan 29, 2006
Probation
Can't post for 251 days!
Due to the nature of games being ran on a computet, I tend to think of 'numberless' as 'numbers hidden.' Granted, 'numbers' often means 'numbers obscured with a secondary system of other numbers.'

Hodgepodge
Jan 29, 2006
Probation
Can't post for 251 days!

ProfessorCirno posted:

I mean, here's the catch: Arcanum is easy. Very, very easy. The AI just straight up doesn't function - the only commands AI ever seem to have are "rush the enemy and melee them," unless they're already actively HOLDING a ranged weapon, but then, ranged weapons are terrible. Yes, even scrawny-rear end mages are going to run at you and try to feebly pummel you with their nonexisting melee skills rather then actually cast spells. Beyond that, even if you don't get Dog, itemization in Arcanum is berserk, and well equipped companions can essentially clear the game for you.

So in Arcanum you actually can play (almost) whatever character you want. Not because they're all good, but because Arcanum is broken in so many ways that it doesn't actually matter.

That said, if you wanted to truly be a singular god who turns Arcanum into a wasteland and who can slay anything with ease, and conquer all obstacles, you want a mage/warrior with max strength and dex, good willpower, and the spells Fireflash, Harm, Minor Heal, and the entirety of the absolutely hilariously unfair Time college. That said, not combat-based, but also take the Conveyance college, for Unlock Cantrip and Teleport. This is entirely needless, but hey, if you want to be an allmighty immortal murderous godling, this is how you do it.

Two things I forgot to mention. First is DR, which is huge, and one of the reasons half-ogres are so incredible. DR, or Damage Resistance, reduces all damage you take by itself as a percentage. That is to say, half-ogres start the game by default taking 90% damage from everything. Put on a ring of protection? 80%. Two rings? Every single thing in the game is now only dealing 70% damage to you. That's with two items.

Second is damage bonus caps. So, in an attempt to try to willow down the power of Speed, weapons have a "cap" on how much extra damage they do based on their minimum and maximum damage. Basically, your minimum damage cannot go above the weapon's default max damage, and your weapon's max damage cannot go above 3x it's default max damage. If you have a sword that does 5-10 damage, and you have strength 20 (aka +20 damage), your attacks with it will do between 25 and 30 damage - as you can see, that's a massive upgrade! On the other hand, if you were to raise your strength to 25 through items and backgrounds (aka +30 damage), your weapon will do exactly 30 damage every single time you hit, because 30 is it's max damage cap. Some of that strength is being wasted in the max damage, though of course, raising the minimum damage isn't a bad thing.

With Time spells, you could say victory is... historically inevitable.

Hodgepodge
Jan 29, 2006
Probation
Can't post for 251 days!

SirPhoebos posted:

Why does Arcanum have a multiplayer mode? What does that even look like?

EDIT: How breakable is Planescape: Torment?

Get Wizard training ASAP and max Int. Also max Wis because conversations matter more than stats. With a decent Cha, you can use the Friends spell to get all three conversation stats high.

You can talk the last boss into suicide, but I settled for convincing him to gently caress off so I could res my party.

Hodgepodge
Jan 29, 2006
Probation
Can't post for 251 days!

rope kid posted:

You'll never see anything resembling steampunk in anything I direct. One of the reasons why I'd like to make a game set in the 19th century on Earth is because I love it and would like to make something set in that period that doesn't use the steampunk aesthetic.

Weird west would be excellent.

Or maybe that upcoming IP deal is with Sunless Sky/Sea/Fallen London?

Hodgepodge
Jan 29, 2006
Probation
Can't post for 251 days!
I generally just prioritize buffs and drop the most important while the party is engaging. Several of the good ones affect the enemy party as well, and you have time to get some spells off before you really need to heal or lay down a damage spell. Also if you try to use too many buffs, they wear off before you can finish casting them all anyhow :shrug:

Hodgepodge
Jan 29, 2006
Probation
Can't post for 251 days!

bongwizzard posted:

No, that would make a dull videogame. Air to air zeppelin combat and lighting-bolt guns would be a fun video game.

I dunno, take Lawrence of Arabia and add air to air zeppelin combat and lightning-bolt guns and you have both.

Hodgepodge
Jan 29, 2006
Probation
Can't post for 251 days!

Zeris posted:

I got a lot of insight into Avellone as a writer and human when I realized he used his complete control over the words of a computer rpg character (Durance) to give us a man who sweats continuously and spends all of his time cursing out a female god he worships by calling her a bitch and whore because he's worried that he offended her

lol

The best thing about Durance is that he spends the entire game lecturing people and then turns out to be wrong about prettymuch everything.

Hodgepodge
Jan 29, 2006
Probation
Can't post for 251 days!
I think Rope Kid mentioned that PoE didn't even get proofread; I choose to believe that being rushed is why about half the characters sort of fall flat. It's actually impressive how few did for me, though, and how even a few who are on the surface unremarkable like Sagani and Erder ended up being quite memorable. Compare to all of Neverwinter Nights (expansions included), where I literally only remember Deekin other than that Paladin lady who I remember because she was basically the protagonist of the main game's story.

Hodgepodge
Jan 29, 2006
Probation
Can't post for 251 days!

AriadneThread posted:

i feel like it's easier to swallow when your non-partied buddies have something else to do beside go murder-hoboing with you
like, ostensibly for this game, the non-active guys can be guarding getting drunk with the crew on your boat or something

Hodgepodge
Jan 29, 2006
Probation
Can't post for 251 days!

Wasn't this basically A Thing in Mouse Guard?

Hodgepodge
Jan 29, 2006
Probation
Can't post for 251 days!

doingitwrong posted:

DA2's plot is not about a world-ending Big Bad which makes it one of the most original game stories ever created, unfortunately.

Neither is Pillars'. I'm not sure I'd want Woedica in charge of the world, but she was before and it wasn't so bad even.

You can even sell out to her. Really, my motivation at the end was that Thaos was a dick.

Hodgepodge fucked around with this message at 04:03 on Oct 14, 2017

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Hodgepodge
Jan 29, 2006
Probation
Can't post for 251 days!

Gotta have a party member named Johnny Five-Adra now.

• Locked thread