Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
funmanguy
Apr 20, 2006

What time is it?
Seeing the campaign for Pillars 2 reminded me that i never finished 1. So I am doing that now. This is the first IE CRPG I've ever played, but I really enjoy it. I tried playing it about a year ago, but pacing of the main quest line felt really awkward and made me lose interest. Wasn't until a bit later that I learned it was kickstartered, and that some of the major set-pieces of the game were stretch goals that it made a bit more sense. I haven't done White March 2 yet, but 1 felt like a much more cohesive setting than the main game. Which makes me eager to support Obsidian this time around.

Also, I am part of the group who doesn't care for the limited rests as a resource mechanic. I enjoy the writing and the story and I love the tactics and micromanagement of the fights, but it feels like a chore to me when I have to stop the things I enjoy most to manage that aspect. That said, I certainly see how people would find that engaging for a lot of reasons, I just don't. My not liking a few parts of the game doesn't diminish my enjoyment of the game overall, Pillars of Eternity is loving awesome, thanks Obsidian and rope kid.

I am also amazed at how almost unique Josh is. He is communicating with fans of his games in a very open and honest way, which for a lot of developers doesn't come naturally to say the least. He also either has near infinite patience, or has a very good assistant to manage social media type things who is probably in need of a raise. I can't think of anyone else in video games with a resume as good as Mr. Sawyers who would do this sort of stuff, so thanks rope kid, I appreciate it.

Edit: Druids rule!

funmanguy fucked around with this message at 14:01 on Feb 2, 2017

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

funmanguy
Apr 20, 2006

What time is it?

bongwizzard posted:

I don't think it's especially bad and I also like Action RPGs, but there are already a ton of each out there while there is basicly nothing else like IE/PoE1 happening. I am currently retrying both Dragon Age: Origins and Divinity; Original Sin to see if I could get into them and nighter have managed to grab me the way the BG1/2 or PoE1 managed too.

Actually, is there an Action RPG thread? I have the itching for some clicking and there are like a million of them on Steam right now and idk anything about any of them anymore.

Take a small break from PoE and go try out PoE to scratch the arpg itch.

funmanguy
Apr 20, 2006

What time is it?

oswald ownenstein posted:

Still sounds like one of those early alpha things that you scrap and talk about later on in a video saying "yeah we had this awful clunky system before we came up with X"

Lmao

funmanguy
Apr 20, 2006

What time is it?
I am excited for new in game books. It would be hilarious to see the Eothas religious book in POE2 be a sermon titled "Pillars in the Hands of an Angry God."

funmanguy
Apr 20, 2006

What time is it?

dangerdoom volvo posted:

Engwithans are alpha male volcels who dont waste their life force

precious bodily fluids

funmanguy
Apr 20, 2006

What time is it?

bongwizzard posted:

Hey, are we going to get a fishing minigame? I have a lot of strong opinions about that topic I assure you.

Josh is saving the fishing minigame for the gently caress you suck my dick game.

funmanguy
Apr 20, 2006

What time is it?

Mustang posted:

What's it like going back to BG1/2 or IWD after playing POE? Think I'm going to play through those afterward. Or maybe Divinity Original Sin.

Just finished WM1 at lvl 9 and just shy of lvl 10, probably going to go back to the main game for a bit.

I played poe before I ever touched the old IE games. In the last week I've played a few hours of BG2 and Planescape Torment. They havent aged well, which can make it a lot harder to enjoy.

funmanguy
Apr 20, 2006

What time is it?

Scorchy posted:

Are there weresharks in the game finally

There shark

There castle

funmanguy
Apr 20, 2006

What time is it?
I am making my way through BG2 for the first time, and after spending a while in Athkatla, I do feel a bit overwhelmed at times. I can really appreciate the amount of content the game has, and I am sure I will enjoy making my way through it all, but I have trouble keeping it all organized in my head. What sucks is without the aggressively scripted NPCs, you will miss out of stuff that you would have enjoyed otherwise. It seems impossible to find a balance that everyone will be happy with.

Also I apparently lost Anomen permanently when I was juggling party members and needed him to be sidelined for a few minutes. Oh well.

Fake Edit: The Beyond Infinity thread is basically dead, so I hope no one minds me posting about my BG2 playthrough here.

funmanguy fucked around with this message at 16:43 on Feb 12, 2017

funmanguy
Apr 20, 2006

What time is it?
I really like the music in POE.

funmanguy
Apr 20, 2006

What time is it?
I think everyone was hesitant until we went on a picnic with ropekid and had him assuage our concerns.

funmanguy
Apr 20, 2006

What time is it?

multijoe posted:

Hi, you seem like a nice guy but please could you stop posting in this thread? Your trip reports are making me physically ill.

:frogout:

funmanguy
Apr 20, 2006

What time is it?
Some of you folks seem to be unable to understand that other people might be interested in playing a game differently than you. Please stop being assholes.

funmanguy
Apr 20, 2006

What time is it?

Samuel Clemens posted:

Pillars of Eternity 1 and 2: gently caress You, Suck My Rod: Josh Sawyer's Dream Fishing RPG

Mods please

funmanguy
Apr 20, 2006

What time is it?

bongwizzard posted:

Excellent, it's good to have a team to help with this. Does anyone have a mailing address for Obsidian? I think our first step is to order a couple hundred anchovy pizzas for them to show that we're not loving kidding around.

God speed

funmanguy
Apr 20, 2006

What time is it?
I want to make sure that my bear can cast fireball before i pay money.

funmanguy
Apr 20, 2006

What time is it?
Lot of big fat dumbies in this thread who don't appreciate my friend Aloth.

funmanguy
Apr 20, 2006

What time is it?
By allowing Iselmyr to takeover Aloth would switch from being a mage to being a priest. The spirit of Durance would live on, in Iselmyr.

funmanguy
Apr 20, 2006

What time is it?
Who's a good God?

YOU ARE

funmanguy
Apr 20, 2006

What time is it?

Yesssssssssssssssssssssssss, I need this game in my life.

hurry up josh

funmanguy
Apr 20, 2006

What time is it?
Durance is one o my favorite characters in any rpg, but Sagani is, and always will be #1.

funmanguy
Apr 20, 2006

What time is it?

rope kid posted:

The people who aren't willing to do basic arithmetic probably aren't likely to even look at a DPS value if we provided it. We heavily modified the DPS value from F3 in F:NV (and provided a separate DAM value). The people who cared about those values looked at them, thought about them, discussed them, and made choices based on them (and their own theories) but there are hundreds of let's play video series out there that show people scrolling past AMRs and brush guns to use lever-action shotguns with buckshot against NCR heavy troopers.

To be fair, that has more to do with the fact that in every video game since the dawn of time shotguns have been badass, and something called a 'brush gun' sounds like you're assaulting your enemies with a dry fart.

funmanguy
Apr 20, 2006

What time is it?
God drat, now i have to play new vegas again.

funmanguy
Apr 20, 2006

What time is it?
Not gonna lie, i loving love new vegas.

funmanguy
Apr 20, 2006

What time is it?
Jingle Jangle

funmanguy
Apr 20, 2006

What time is it?

Innerguard posted:

Okay so, I'm trying to decide between Druid and Cipher. I want to play a class with a companion that I'm NOT going to use, so basically. Out of those two, which is the worse companion (less enjoyable / etc) ?

I'll go against the grain and say Druid. Only because in every elf game I play my first dude is a druid, and pillars has the best druids.

Edit: I am one of the people who avoids charm spells because I find it annoying to manually attack a dude with each character. Mechanically it is very good and I would recommend using it to see if you enjoy it, I prefer not to myself.

funmanguy fucked around with this message at 15:21 on Jul 10, 2017

funmanguy
Apr 20, 2006

What time is it?

Gravy Jones posted:

I was reading this guide over the weekend. Didn't notice who it was by! Thanks for writing it. Very helpful.

Every time I playthrough the game I end up doing a lot of googling and reading old forum posts about different fights/mechanics and whatnot. You can't throw a stone near a pillars of eternity discussion without hitting this:

funmanguy
Apr 20, 2006

What time is it?

Hieronymous Alloy posted:

I like his banters, yeah. He's a feral thirteen-year-old in terms of his dialogue, and these games are partly about nostalgia, like remembering being thirteen when I played the precursors.

I was 30 when I played baldur's gate and planescape so I wasn't a fan of hiravias. Not so much that I disliked the character, just that there are only so many spots in the party.

Also sagani is the best character in the game.

funmanguy fucked around with this message at 05:19 on Jul 12, 2017

funmanguy
Apr 20, 2006

What time is it?

DACK FAYDEN posted:

I can handle that. I have a brain and if it's part of choices that are obviously related then yeah, that's doable. Thanks!

You can have one of them 'leave' the party. A companion of your choosing in fact.

Praise Skaen

funmanguy
Apr 20, 2006

What time is it?

Hieronymous Alloy posted:

Oh I was too (I'm more pool of radiance on the C64 era) but mentally I'm still about twelve even now

I bit late, but :same:

funmanguy
Apr 20, 2006

What time is it?
Multiclassing is always the same. I'm just going to make a kensai mage.

funmanguy
Apr 20, 2006

What time is it?
It's hard to try and think of mechanically good MC options without having all of the info, and even then, it's all subject to change. Thematically a ranger/barb would be a hoot. An axe in each hand just going to town, also a bear, named Axe.

funmanguy
Apr 20, 2006

What time is it?
I always felt like mages were the CC focused mages from other rpgs. Priests were on 100% buff and cleanse rebuff duties.

funmanguy
Apr 20, 2006

What time is it?

bongwizzard posted:

Not at all, what I meant was that like every game where I have read much of the story has been varying degrees of bad about longwindnesses and awful, awkward conversation and I believe/wonder if writers who have been trained to be economical with words and timing could help with this. If I want to watch a movie or read a book I can do just that, what I want from a game is "to play a game" and like all the common examples of well written video games have been pretty awful to actually play, so I am disinclined to get excited about a game that talks about the importance of it.

Too many words to spend on a silly complaint. Writing isn't bad because it doesn't appeal to you, that's a preference. Lots of people like big wordy RPGs, and rope kid makes pretty good ones.

funmanguy
Apr 20, 2006

What time is it?
It's less that and more, "don't frame a subjective opinion as an objective fact." It seems disingenuous.

funmanguy
Apr 20, 2006

What time is it?

AriadneThread posted:

if you spend more then a couple pages in a bioware thread, someone will assuredly bring up and quote the original post, as if to punish you for reading a bioware thread

I've never seen this in a BG2 thread. :D

bongwizzard posted:

Ok, fine, wordy crpgs are the greatest of the works of man and I will disparage them no further.

I'm sorry, lets never fight again.

funmanguy
Apr 20, 2006

What time is it?
Im drawing a blank, is there an item that you activate on an enemy and for like 8 seconds it counts how much damage that enemy takes, then deals that much again at the end? Maybe it was only a percentage of the total damage, either way that's how I killed Adra.

funmanguy
Apr 20, 2006

What time is it?

Ravenfood posted:

The cipher power Recall Agony does that, so there's probably an item that does it too.

Hrm, I though that it was an item because I was pretty sure I never had a cipher in my party long enough to read the abilities. Grieving Mother's powers are stronger than I thought.

funmanguy
Apr 20, 2006

What time is it?

Gobblecoque posted:

I now hope there's a soulbound item in PoE 2 that requires you to sacrifice a companion. :unsmigghh:

(And it has to be a story companion, not just one you generate at a tavern. Better yet, make it be one of the returning guys from the first game.)

Make it a soulbound item with different specific effects for different classes. Then require a sacrifice of a story companion to activate the item for that specific class. Only way to get the Best Fighter Sword in the game is to murder Eder in cold blood.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

funmanguy
Apr 20, 2006

What time is it?
I didn't get past defiance bay my first try with pillars, but I've sines played through it three times. I almost never play a single player game more than once, it feels way too repetitive to enjoy, but there was so much under a sort of bland surface. The old IE games never had much of an issue with the strategic system of their games, it was always just DnD, but poe had to create a system as well as a world for the story. I think it was just getting overwhelmed with too much info and too many seemingly important choices to be made without understanding them that made the game offputting at first.

• Locked thread