Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Burn Down Canberra
Oct 27, 2005

GAME PLANS? We don't need no stinking game plans.

:cry: :cry: :cry:
It was an audition for Crokers centre spot so they had plenty to play for. I would say that Nick Cotric was pretty good. Eddie Aioni could not have played any worse.

I would have Cotric in the lead as far as replacing Croker in the first few weeks go.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

bowmore
Oct 6, 2008

Lipstick Apathy
considering one win in 2016 this is just confusing me and making me more optimistic than I should be

Burn Down Canberra
Oct 27, 2005

GAME PLANS? We don't need no stinking game plans.

:cry: :cry: :cry:

bowmore posted:

considering one win in 2016 this is just confusing me and making me more optimistic than I should be

The funny thing is that you should have beat us twice last year. Maybe you guys are just a good match for the Raiders.

That said you guys will be WAY better than last year.

Dirty Frank
Jul 8, 2004

Warrington 4 - 0 Brisbane after 2mins, cool!

Dirty Frank
Jul 8, 2004

12 - 0 now, hope I'm not the only one watching, Brisbane look well off the pace atm

Kaglicious
Mar 31, 2011

Dirty Frank posted:

12 - 0 now, hope I'm not the only one watching, Brisbane look well off the pace atm

I'm watching, wire completely deserve this so far. Dominated the opening 15

Dirty Frank
Jul 8, 2004

Kaglicious posted:

I'm watching, wire completely deserve this so far. Dominated the opening 15

18 - 0, scores keeping pace with the clock, this is kind of mental

MiniSune
Sep 16, 2003

Smart like Dodo!
Brisbane fighting back.

Warrington were paying attention 5 bucks when i laid my multi on.

Kaglicious
Mar 31, 2011
Watching that game kills me that we (Leeds) didn't get Kevin Brown from widnes.He's exactly what we need attacking wise and our defence is that good that we can cover for him being a bit of a liability.

It was nice seeing us minnows in super league actually win one of these games against the NRL though in the first time since forever, deserved it too :unsmith:

Smorgasbord
Jun 18, 2004

Our review identified changes needed to be made and, in Stephen, we have a coach who has a reputation for demanding the highest standards.
Warriors looking good, 2017 is our year boys :smugdog:

Smorgasbord
Jun 18, 2004

Our review identified changes needed to be made and, in Stephen, we have a coach who has a reputation for demanding the highest standards.

Smorgasbord posted:

*Placeholder post for after the inevitable collapse*

iajanus
Aug 17, 2004

NUMBER 1 QUEENSLAND SUPPORTER
MAROONS 2023 STATE OF ORIGIN CHAMPIONS FOR LIFE

Nice to see Robbie immediately showing why we were dumb to drop him.

bowmore
Oct 6, 2008

Lipstick Apathy

Smorgasbord posted:

apparently you signed a real piece of work in Foran, the bad news about him is coming out

Thinking
Jan 22, 2009

Pretty shameful poo poo from Brisbane this morning, a full strength team as well (minus Blair and Sims) so no excuses.

MiniSune
Sep 16, 2003

Smart like Dodo!

bowmore posted:

apparently you signed a real piece of work in Foran, the bad news about him is coming out

The smh ran a story a couple of days ago about the text messages to r.wilson. Let me guess there is more and it is worse?

http://www.smh.com.au/rugby-league/...215-gue44d.html

MiniSune fucked around with this message at 08:27 on Feb 19, 2017

iajanus
Aug 17, 2004

Id expect so.

St George look typically terrible, smart money's on them for the spoon.

Smorgasbord
Jun 18, 2004

MiniSune posted:

The smh ran a story a couple of days ago about the text messages to r.wilson. Let me guess there is more and it is worse?

http://www.smh.com.au/rugby-league/...215-gue44d.html

Rebecca loving Wilson still getting poisonous articles about the private lives of players out there even in death. She was a muck raking hack who made a career out of concern-trolling the NRL about off-field issues/rumours and frankly deserved whatever came her way. Still dumb from Foran but he obviously wasn't in the right headspace to let it pass by.

Thinking
Jan 22, 2009

Smorgasbord posted:

Rebecca loving Wilson still getting poisonous articles about the private lives of players out there even in death. She was a muck raking hack who made a career out of concern-trolling the NRL about off-field issues/rumours and frankly deserved whatever came her way. Still dumb from Foran but he obviously wasn't in the right headspace to let it pass by.

They both seem like equally lovely people tbh

Thinking
Jan 22, 2009

I don't give a poo poo about the Sharks or Wigan and I'm probably happier to see the Sharks lose, but those first two disallowed tries against the Sharks were both loving awful decisions

iajanus
Aug 17, 2004

Yeah, watching the game either there's some very different interpretations of the rules (or rules) atm in Superleague or they just dun hosed up

Puckish Rogue
Jun 24, 2010

If only they both lost, because gently caress Wigan.

Kaglicious
Mar 31, 2011

cpaf posted:

I don't give a poo poo about the Sharks or Wigan and I'm probably happier to see the Sharks lose, but those first two disallowed tries against the Sharks were both loving awful decisions

iajanus posted:

Yeah, watching the game either there's some very different interpretations of the rules (or rules) atm in Superleague or they just dun hosed up

Refereeing quality in our league is declining rapidly and it doesn't look like we're getting any new blood coming through the lower leagues, considering our super league refs often officiate more than one fixture a weekend. I think Robert Hicks had a shocking game though, our crew is bad but not usually that bad.

Puckish Rogue posted:

If only they both lost, because gently caress Wigan.

Also agree with this. gently caress Wigan.

Dirty Frank
Jul 8, 2004

cpaf posted:

Just watching the game now, just seen the first try. It was offside by the rules of the game, he's in front of the kicker and then within 10m of the catch and try.

I'd prefer this was more "encroaches on the play" or similar rather than exactly within 10m. But the decision was correct given the rules.

iajanus
Aug 17, 2004

Dirty Frank posted:

Just watching the game now, just seen the first try. It was offside by the rules of the game, he's in front of the kicker and then within 10m of the catch and try.

I'd prefer this was more "encroaches on the play" or similar rather than exactly within 10m. But the decision was correct given the rules.

Not sure if it's subtlely different in the NRL but our version of the rule is:

Section 14 (2) states: An active offside player shall not encroach within 10 metres of the ball. An active player is defined as someone “who takes part in and/or influences the game”.

Eg. If the player is completely out of play (and in this case he arguably was) then he doesn't count. It's the same rule that was applied to Jennings in origin 3 last year to give Fifita a controversial try.

Dirty Frank
Jul 8, 2004

iajanus posted:

Not sure if it's subtlely different in the NRL but our version of the rule is:

Section 14 (2) states: An active offside player shall not encroach within 10 metres of the ball. An active player is defined as someone “who takes part in and/or influences the game”.

Eg. If the player is completely out of play (and in this case he arguably was) then he doesn't count. It's the same rule that was applied to Jennings in origin 3 last year to give Fifita a controversial try.
Actually I'm not sure, so I looked it up. Here are the official rules for English RL (although maybe this match was international rules which are different again) http://www.rugby-league.com/the_rfl/rules/laws_of_the_game/offside

Some Rules and poo poo posted:

Interfering with Catcher 2. Any off side player who remains within ten metres of an opponent who is set to catch a kick up field by an opposing player shall be deemed to be interfering with or attempting to interfere with the catcher and shall be penalised unless the non-offending team gains an immediate advantage.

I prefer the NRL rules, I can't be arsed to look for the international ones.

Edit: the ref in commentary just said this is under international rules, so we should really look at them.

I watched the second try finally now, it possibly/maybe hits his left elbow on the way through, and the ref sent it up as no try, knock on, so its correctly no try, you need proof against the refs opinion to overrule. If the ref had ruled try it should have been given. I don't think he's been bad so far and Cronulla are niggly as gently caress.

Dirty Frank fucked around with this message at 20:55 on Feb 20, 2017

Thinking
Jan 22, 2009

Dirty Frank posted:

Actually I'm not sure, so I looked it up. Here are the official rules for English RL (although maybe this match was international rules which are different again) http://www.rugby-league.com/the_rfl/rules/laws_of_the_game/offside

Edit: the ref in commentary just said this is under international rules, so we should really look at them.

I watched the second try finally now, it possibly/maybe hits his left elbow on the way through, and the ref sent it up as no try, knock on, so its correctly no try, you need proof against the refs opinion to overrule. If the ref had ruled try it should have been given. I don't think he's been bad so far and Cronulla are niggly as gently caress.

The second try was much less questionable for sure, but this is coming from a league where the video ref generally has no expectation of "going with" an on-field decision anymore. Watching the video I just don't think he touches the ball before it hits his leg and for me that is a try.

Sharks deserved to lose either way but I can understand why they might have been tilted

iajanus
Aug 17, 2004

Dirty Frank posted:

I like the NRL version as it was designed for situations like when the dummy half or first receiver puts a little grubber through the line and someone dives on it which would 99% of the time be a No Try as the player playing the ball would be within the 10, although completely irrelevant to play.

Dirty Frank
Jul 8, 2004

iajanus posted:

I like the NRL version as it was designed for situations like when the dummy half or first receiver puts a little grubber through the line and someone dives on it which would 99% of the time be a No Try as the player playing the ball would be within the 10, although completely irrelevant to play.

That's interesting, I don't see mention of the ball player in the RFL rules but they'd give that as a try anyway.
Not so many grubbers in the English game as you can imagine with the size of the in goals. On that note, we adopted the 7 tackles on dead ball rule from the NRL this season and I'm not sure its a good idea here.

iajanus
Aug 17, 2004

Dirty Frank posted:

That's interesting, I don't see mention of the ball player in the RFL rules but they'd give that as a try anyway.
Not so many grubbers in the English game as you can imagine with the size of the in goals. On that note, we adopted the 7 tackles on dead ball rule from the NRL this season and I'm not sure its a good idea here.

I wish they would amend that rule to only be from kicks outside the twenty. It seems super unfair and chilling on little attacking kicks, when it was intended to lessen teams just drilling it out long down the field.

Jono C
Mar 28, 2007

Adam is a wonderful example of how a player should go about his business in the NRL
It also makes no sense for things like knock ons in the in goal area.

iajanus
Aug 17, 2004

Jono C posted:

It also makes no sense for things like knock ons in the in goal area.

Yeah, it penalises actual attacking play in extra time rather than just taking potshots at field goals. Any kick you put in the air or roll into the ingoal, even from right on the line, is a massive chance at a 7 tackle set going the other way. I'd pin some of the blame for the ridiculous 40m field-goal sessions we end up getting at the feet of this rule since from that range there's a good chance the ball won't go out so it's "safer" to try.

iajanus
Aug 17, 2004

quote:

Tim Simona faces allegations that he arranged bets to be placed on opposition players he was marking to score tries against the Wests Tigers.

Fairfax Media understands part of the investigation into Simona's alleged betting activity, which is made up of numerous minor bets, revolves around the opposition tryscorers in Tigers matches last season.

It is believed the bets didn't come out of Simona's account, rather the Tigers centre helped facilitate the bets through people he knew.

The magnitude of the allegations, if proven, could see Simona permanently banned from the NRL.

Currently, the police are not investigating Simona's betting activity, but the NRL may hand over its findings to the authorities once Simona has been given the opportunity to front integrity unit boss Nick Weeks next week to respond to the allegations that are threatening to end his career.

The NRL issued him with a notice of intention to cancel his registration last Friday, forcing the Tigers to stand down the off-contract centre from playing and training duties until the matter is resolved.

It is understood the NRL received a tip-off informing them of Simona's betting activity, which prompted an investigation that led to last week's notice of intention being sent.

The probe into Simona's alleged infringements are not linked to the match-fixing investigation the NRL announced last year.

The NRL and Wests Tigers declined to comment when contacted by Fairfax Media on Wednesday.

Simona's management was approached for comment, but phone calls were not returned.

Simona, who has played 79 games for the Tigers since 2011, has been shopped around to rival clubs over the past few months in a bid to absolve the joint venture of their salary cap woes leading into the start of their season next Friday night.

Under NRL rules each club has to be under the salary cap by the start of round one, however the Tigers will apply for special cap dispensation from the governing body.

The Tigers have been trying to offload a player over the pre-season to comply with the salary cap, however they are reluctant to move on a player if Simona's contract is terminated by the NRL and therefore puts them under the cap for 2017.

The Tigers have been keen to offload Simona for some time, but the club wasn't aware of the allegations made against their player until last Thursday – the day before their last trial match against the Titans in Campbelltown that Simona wasn't allowed to play in.

While Simona was given five business days to put together an appeal to salvage his career, it is understood the Samoan international is still receiving information from the NRL's investigation and won't have to front the integrity unit until five days from the point of receiving all relevant documentation.

Under the NRL's betting code: "No NRL employee, NRL club employee, player, player manager or game official is allowed to participate, or be directly or indirectly involved in any way, in gambling in relation to rugby league. Or be involved directly or indirectly, in the provision of information not already in the public domain that might assist another person to gamble in relation to rugby league."

The last high-profile player to be banned for betting on matches was former Origin and Australian international, David Williams.

The Manly winger was banned for half the season and struggled to revive his career after he was found to have betted on several NRL matches, including games he was involved in for the Sea Eagles.

He was one of five players caught by the NRL, including Ethan Lowe, Cody Nelson, Hymel Hunt and Slade Griffin – who were stood down for breaching the code's rules.

Yeah, that's not a good thing to do, Tim. That's going past "kicked out of NRL" and into "straight into gaol" territory if its true.

bowmore
Oct 6, 2008

Lipstick Apathy
how hard is it not to be a fuckwit sometimes

iajanus
Aug 17, 2004

According to the average NRL player: impossible.

Jono C
Mar 28, 2007

Adam is a wonderful example of how a player should go about his business in the NRL

bowmore posted:

how hard is it not to be a fuckwit sometimes

LeaguePlayers.txt

Puckish Rogue
Jun 24, 2010

That's an incredible amount of stupid.

TigersPlayers.txt

Dirty Frank
Jul 8, 2004

Im gonna shock you all, Greg Bird is in the sin bin. Hull 2 - 4 Catalans after 24m, no trys.

iajanus
Aug 17, 2004

Unprecedented

Dirty Frank
Jul 8, 2004

He just made a try out of nothing now, he's warming on me. Will I grow to love Greg Bird? :O

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

bowmore
Oct 6, 2008

Lipstick Apathy
you will, then he will glass you and blame it on a mate

• Locked thread