Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Gavok
Oct 10, 2005

Brock! Oh, man, I'm sorry about your...

...tooth?

Since the game and comic have been good about keeping the continuity smooth, here are some of the more notable dead characters in the Injustice universe. In other words, guys you shouldn't expect to see outside of alt skins:

- Beast Boy
- Kid Flash
- Kalibak
- Captain Atom
- Kyle Rayner
- Despero
- John Stewart
- Guy Gardner
- Ganthet
- Phantom Stranger
- Huntress
- Kilowog
- Parasite
- Heatwave
- Weather Wizard

Bizarro died too, but he was just a failed clone of Superman, so there's no reason we couldn't just get another one.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Gavok
Oct 10, 2005

...tooth?

FunkMonkey posted:

I kind of hope the guy who wrote those amazing profiles explaining the characters comes back for the new characters in this one

I'm your huckleberry.

Gavok
Oct 10, 2005

...tooth?

I dont know posted:

Do you still have links to those profiles? They were interesting, and a decent chunk of the cast is returning.

Part 1
Part 2
Part 3
Part 4
Part 5

Then the DLC: Lobo, Batgirl, Scorpion, Zod, Martian Manhunter, and Zatanna.

Gavok
Oct 10, 2005

...tooth?

This will be the second fighting game to have Cheetah as a playable character.

Booster Gold is still at zero.

Gavok
Oct 10, 2005

...tooth?

HMS Beagle posted:

It's nice that this one looks much more like a game than the previous Netherrealm mobile titles. Will make unlocking costumes much less of a chore, though lord knows I spent enough time trying to unlock Mad Scientist Bray Wyatt in Immortals.

I want Bray Wyatt as DLC in this game.

Gavok
Oct 10, 2005

...tooth?

Wanderer posted:

So, if I understand correctly, the host of this is a pro wrestler who does this as a side gig for fun. Who are the other people with him? Also wrestlers?

Yeah. Up Up Down Down is essentially Xavier Woods' side project where he and other wrestlers chill out backstage and play video games out of character. The other people in the video are his tag partner Kofi Kingston as well as "The Boss" Sasha Banks (purple hair) and Bayley (knit cap). Bayley is essentially Street Fighter's Elena mixed with Punky Brewster.

Woods and Kofi's background is pretty great. They and Big E were three guys who had very little going on in WWE, so they wanted to work together as a trio. Vince McMahon, in his infinite wisdom, decided to give the three black guys a gimmick where they were a group of gospel baptists preaching about the power of positivity. The crowd hated it and the guys were able to alter the gimmick so that the jeers were driving them insane and they became charismatically passive-aggressive about it. They eventually won the crowd over with their ridiculousness (out of context quote: "YOU HAVE RUINED OUR JAMBOREE!") and became one of more beloved acts in WWE. Beloved enough that they have their own cereal, will eventually have their own ice cream pops, and got to have the longest tag title reign in WWE history.

Plus at last year's Wrestlemania, they entered their match by walking out of a giant box of cereal while dressed as Saiyans. They're living the dream.

Gavok
Oct 10, 2005

...tooth?

I'll get to that eventually. But first, I'm going to build on this for a second...

Kurtofan posted:

Can people summarize who was on what side in the first injustice and what happened in general, story wise.

...since frakeaing HAMSTER DANCE's wiki link didn't include the comic tie-in. Since the tie-in is mostly good and is confirmed canon by Injustice 2, I might as well go over the whole thing. A lot of stuff happens in the first volume, but things are a bit more succinct in the ones that follow.

YEAR ONE

Injustice takes place in a universe where the biggest difference pre-story is that Lex Luthor is a good guy and is Superman's best friend. For years, he's been secretly keeping tabs on and protecting the loved ones of the Justice League.

Clark Kent and Lois Lane are married and Lois is early into a pregnancy. The Joker, who has grown tired of loving with Batman for so long, decides to mess with Superman as a change. Along with Harley, he kills Jimmy Olsen, kidnaps Lois, hooks up a nuclear detonator to her heart and gets Superman pumped up on kryptonite-laced Scarecrow fear gas. Superman thinks Lois is Doomsday, tosses her into space, realizes what he's done, and Lois' death causes Metropolis to explode. We later discover that the explosion killed Beast Boy, Kid Flash and Jesse Quick. Lex Luthor survived due to contingency plans.

After the dust is settled and Joker is captured, Superman angrily impales him with his fist. Green Arrow decides to hide Harley for a little while, since he doesn't like the idea of Superman executing prisoners. Harley is distraught and emotionally confused without the Joker, but ends up forming a bond with Arrow.

Superman's a bit messed up over what he's done and what he's lost, but gets a new resolve when he hears about a dictator taking part in a war. He figures that he isn't doing enough and should straight-up just stop wars from happening. Most of the Justice League follow his lead (especially Wonder Woman, who wants some of that widower rebound action), but Batman knows this is a bad idea. Superman and Batman are still friends at this point, but whenever Batman criticizes Superman, Superman goes, "Yeah, well, if you had killed the Joker when you had the chance, none of this would have ever happened!"

Superman's fascism causes a lot of ripples. Aquaman briefly opposes him, but then Superman puts a dome over Atlantis and places it in the desert as a giant middle finger. The US government secretly goes after him by kidnapping his parents, but they're recovered and Batman tells the President that this is a battle the government could never win. On Apokalips, Darkseid's son Kalibak hears that Superman's declared a war-free Earth and misunderstands it as some hippy poo poo where Earth is ripe for the picking. Instead, a pissed-as-hell Superman kills Kalibak and finds himself with no choice but to wipe out thousands of Parademons, which pushes him even further over the line.

At one point, Superman goes to Gotham to steal all the inmates from Arkham Asylum and ship them off to his own secret prison. Batman and Nightwing go to stop this, but Robin sells them out because he thinks Superman is the bee's knees. In the battle that follows against the rioting inmates, Robin accidentally kills Nightwing, causing an even bigger rift between Batman and Robin. Catwoman hears about the loss and goes to Bruce's side to help him cope.

On one side you have Superman's team, made up of Lex Luthor, Wonder Woman, Green Lantern, Hawkgirl, Flash, Cyborg, Shazam, Raven and Robin. Flash and Shazam aren't 100% on board, but go with it anyway. Batman puts together a resistance with Catwoman, Batwoman, Huntress, Black Lightning (who just stops showing up), Green Arrow, Black Canary, Martian Manhunter and Captain Atom (who is basically on loan from the US government). Martian Manhunter fights Superman and Wonder Woman and his burned, melted remains rain down into the ocean. Later, it's revealed that he survived and laid low in disguise as Aquaman's advisor.

Annoyed at Batman for constantly opposing him, Superman posts "Batman is Bruce Wayne" on Twitter as a way to ruin him.

Since Superman needs more super-powered people on his side, he and Luthor create a special pill that gives people Kryptonian strength. All the while, Luthor gradually realizes that he's on the wrong side. Batman's team plans to sneak into the Fortress of Solitude and steal one of the super pills so they can reverse engineer it. Things go very wrong and Captain Atom is blown up in a fight with Superman and Wonder Woman. Still, the blast puts Wonder Woman in a coma.

A pissed Superman finds Green Arrow trying to steal a super pill, which happens to be the same room where he's been keeping the Kents for protection. Arrow fires an arrow, but it deflects off Superman and hits Jonathan Kent in the shoulder. Superman completely loses his poo poo and beats Green Arrow to death while the Kents beg him to stop. During the beating, Arrow is able to at least fire an arrow with a pill on it for Batman to find. Superman blames Batman for everything happening and flies off to the Batcave, leaving the Kents and the AI ghost of Jor-El to apologize to each other for being failures.

Superman breaks Batman over his knee a la Bane and then tries to torture him for information. With the data from the super pill fully extracted, Alfred ingests it and beats the holy gently caress out of Superman. It's the absolute best. Alfred picks up the crippled Batman and they escape together.

YEAR TWO

Kyle Rayner's been gone from Earth for at least a year. As he's on his way to check things out, Sinestro and the Sinestro Corps jump and kill him. Sinestro then goes to Earth and surrenders to Superman, saying that he's only there to warn him that the Guardians of Oa will oppose him. After all, Sinestro's origins are parallel to that of Injustice Superman's. Sinestro turns out to be right and the Green Lantern Corps go after Superman. Sinestro is released from imprisonment to turn the tide and a bunch of GLs are now prisoners of Superman's regime. The Guardians decide to let Earth be, though Ganthet (the one Guardian without a stick up his rear end) and Guy Gardner plan to rally towards another battle anyway. Meanwhile, John Stewart chooses to side with Superman while Sinestro is able to trick everyone into thinking that he's now a good guy, especially Hal Jordan.

Black Canary is pregnant with Green Arrow's baby and wants revenge on Superman. She ends up reluctantly befriending Harley, mainly based on Arrow's beliefs that she isn't past redemption.

With Batman laying low and slowly building himself back up from having his back broken, Superman decides to send a message by having Gotham taken over with martial law. Commissioner Gordon sees all of this and decides to tell his daughter Barbara that he's always known about her double life as Batgirl and Oracle. And also that he has cancer. The Gotham PD get a bunch of super pills and join the resistance.

While the Green Lanterns and a pilled-up Black Canary (who had given birth by this point) combat Superman and the Sinestro Corps, the more street-level parts of Batman's team take over the Hall of Justice and the Satellite. It's revealed that Luthor is secretly working for Batman's side. Gordon defeats Cyborg, but succumbs to the cancer and dies. Ganthet removes Hal Jordan's Green Lantern ring, but Sinestro replaces it with a Yellow Lantern ring. Sinestro also kills John Stewart and makes Hal think it was Guy. Hal tears Guy's arm off and watches his powerless body splatter to the ground below.

Canary is able to defeat Superman with a super pill and a kryptonite bullet, but a dead Sinestro Corps member's yellow ring finds its way to Superman and powers him up. Yellow Lantern Superman mortally wounds Black Canary and then goes off to kill a bunch of Green Lanterns, including throwing Ganthet and Mogo the Living Planet into the sun. Batman's forces fall back.

Dr. Fate comes across Black Canary's dying body and decides to take actions into his own hands. He brings Canary and her baby to another alternate universe where Canary died a couple years earlier. Refusing to bring her back to the Injustice world, he instead introduces her to that world's Green Arrow. Dr. Fate isn't sure whether this will work out, since they don't actually know each other, but the story ends with the suggestion that they'll be just fine.

I'll write the rest later.

Gavok
Oct 10, 2005

...tooth?

Technowolf posted:

Holy poo poo Hal's an idiot.

The best example of this and probably the funniest moment in the series is the Sinestro vs. Despero (star of SNES/Genesis' hit game Justice League Task Force!). Despero crash lands from space into an office building. An instant later, Sinestro arrives.

Despero: Ugh... where am I?

Sinestro: Despero?! I should have known!

Despero: Say what now?

Sinestro: How dare you attack Earth?!

Despero: What? Dude, your space army beat the poo poo out of me and threw me--

Sinestro: HOW DARE YOU ATTACK EARTH?! MY HOME?! MY PEOPLE?!

Despero: What is wrong with you?

Sinestro: STOP TRYING TO STRANGLE ME!

Despero: You are literally using your ring to make me choke you right now.

Sinestro: DON'T MAKE ME DO THIS!

Hal Jordan: Hey, Sinestro. Sorry I'm late, but...

Sinestro: drat YOU, DESPERO! drat YOU!

*Sinestro snaps Despero's neck*

Sinestro: ...I had no choice, Hal...

Hal Jordan: I saw. I'm so sorry.

MinibarMatchman posted:

I'm sad that this writes out Kyle Raynor and Guy Gardner. No idea Stewart became an rear end in a top hat, as well.

Stewart wasn't so much an rear end in a top hat as that he just thought Superman's way was right. And that decision cost him his life.

quote:

Can I attach this gigantic summary in the OP because this owns and I wish more of it had been actually depicted in the games. It's like they took out all the cool poo poo and the story mode we got was a very sanitized one.

Go ahead!

Like The Fool said, most of it was written after the fact. The comic started coming out about a month or so before the game's release and it was probably going to last a few months before being swept under the rug and cancelled. The writer Tom Taylor just happened to be really good at his job and the comic sales were better than expected. They ended up releasing Injustice prequel comics for years until Year Five ended. Then they went on to do Injustice: Ground Zero, a comic retelling of the game's story from Harley's POV. That one's finally ending this week, it appears.

Still, there was great communication between DC and NetherRealm, since the writers have done very little to mess with Injustice 2's roster. The only exception is Scarecrow, who died in the second issue as an afterthought, then appeared briefly in Year Four with no explanation.

Mechanical Ape posted:

The Joker spent time in a dimension where Batman's identity is public knowledge, should anyone be concerned about that?

He's known about it for a long time. He just doesn't care.

Gavok
Oct 10, 2005

...tooth?

omg chael crash posted:

Really? That is just the funniest thing

I mean, Superman could easily stop him by freezing him, but Plastic Man's usually portrayed as Batman's secret weapon. Everyone's so hung up on how wacky and goofy he is, but he's also an unkillable and immortal shapeshifter who it turns out is immune to mind control.

Gavok
Oct 10, 2005

...tooth?

Now to finish this off.

YEAR THREE

At the end of the previous volume, Batman's insurgency captured a handful of Superman's crew. With Superman's side being a bit weakened (despite him being a Yellow Lantern now), Batman brings in a bunch of magic users since that's one of Superman's vulnerabilities. Guys like John Constantine, Jason Blood, Detective Chimp, Klarion the Witch Boy, and so on. Things look promising until the Spectre (ie. the literal wrath of God personified) shows up and sides with Superman. Spectre wipes out a chunk of Batman's people because he's Actual God Tier.

Still, there's something off about him. It's established that he isn't bonded to the soul of Jim Corrigan and there are several hints that the Spectre's host is actually the Joker, though it's a red herring. Regardless, he destroys the Phantom Stranger (one of DC's top-ranking good guys) and wounds Deadman's spirit. Before Deadman fades away forever, he chooses a successor in the ghost of Dick Grayson.

We discover that Batman's magic users are behind why Wonder Woman is still in a coma. Batman briefly merges with the Demon Etrigan to put Superman in the same coma spell. Superman's dream is his fantasy world where he saved Lois and Metropolis and on the way to Arkham, Batman snapped the Joker's neck. This is the point where writer Tom Taylor leaves the book and he chooses to end it on a happy note, knowing that it'll obviously be undone by the new guy Brian Buccellato. Buccellato is not nearly as good.

The Greek Gods and amazons find a way to wake up Wonder Woman, who is able to wake Superman up and convince him to denounce the Sinestro Corps ring. The Spectre leads them to Batman's insurgency. Constantine summons/tricks Trigon into attacking Superman's team and Harley is all pumped because she thinks it's the guy from Legend. The Spectre finally shows his true form: Mr. Mxyzptlk. Mxyzptlk and Trigon go at it and things devolve into a gigantic clusterfuck with Swamp Thing and Poison Ivy showing up for the hell of it.

During the big fight, Dick Grayson as Deadman possesses the body of Billy Batson and tells Batman how much he meant to him, how he doesn't blame him for his death and how he shouldn't blame Robin. Also, Wonder Woman accidentally kills Huntress. Considering how the story is written, it's VERY apparent that she was supposed to kill Batwoman, meaning Batwoman will probably be in Injustice 2.

Batman's prisoners are released to help out, as Mxyzptlk vs. Trigon could probably wipe out all life if not dealt with. Even Swamp Thing ends up transported to Hell from the maelstrom of magic. They put their heads together and come up with a plan where Dr. Fate essentially purges Mxyzptlk and Trigon into a magical void and vanishes himself. Later, Batman realizes that this was all Constantine's plot to protect his own daughter from Trigon and going after Superman was just a means to an end.

YEAR FOUR

Barbara Gordon goes under an experimental and extremely risky procedure from Luthor that fixes her spine. She returns to being Batgirl.

The big story for this year is that the Greek Gods step up to smite Superman and his regime. Ares appears to be working all sides of the conflict. At one point in all of this, Zeus exiles Superman from Earth and briefly declares a worldwide ban on all religions that aren't about worshiping Mount Olympus. Superman flies to Apokalips because Darkseid is truly behind this or whatever. The two duke it out and although it's even, Darkseid concedes defeat because even if he wins, Apokalips will be utterly annihilated.

Lots and lots of filler happens and it ends with Highfather from New Genesis coming to Earth and telling Zeus to pack up and GTFO. Then Superman hands Ares over to Darkseid to torture because why the hell not.

There's also this weird subplot going on throughout Buccellato's Injustice run where Harley (who needs to attach herself to someone and has lost Joker, Arrow, Canary and Detective Chip) has this unrequited crush on Shazam. On one hand, it kind of works because of course she'd be into a jacked Patrick Warburton with the mind of a child, but on the other hand, she's well aware that he's really a teenager and that's creepy. Anyway, part of it is that she sees him on the wrong side of the war and wants to convince him to switch to Batman's side. Eventually, she decides he's a lost cause and feels bad about it.

The Year Four Annual is about Offspring, son of Plastic Man, being arrested for standing up against Superman's regime. Plastic Man not only rescues him, but releases all the prisoners from Superman's maximum security underwater prison. Now there are tons of villains out causing havoc, but Plas and Offspring decide to lay low and wait for this to all blow over.

YEAR FIVE

This is the longest volume and a lot of stuff goes on, but there's little holding it all together into a single narrative.

Superman and friends have their hands full with all the villains on the loose. Bane helps Superman defeat Doomsday (yeah, I don't know) and gives Superman the idea of making the villains his soldiers. Killer Frost, Black Adam, Solomon Grundy, Killer Croc, King Shark and others fall in line. They experiment on using mind control on Doomsday.

Back in Year Four, it's established that Lex Luthor has been building a Superman clone to defeat the despot Superman. The unfinished clone escapes and we get this world's version of Bizarro. He kills a couple Flash villains and befriends the Trickster. The two have a Mice and Men relationship until Bizarro accidentally kills Trickster in a hilariously dark moment. Bizarro returns to Luthor, demanding he bring Trickster back to life. Luthor instead sets up a battle of Superman vs. Bizarro vs. Doomsday where he has Superman at his mercy. Luthor chickens out and Bizarro loses. Desperate to cover his tracks, Luthor has Doomsday snap Bizarro's neck, meaning his mercy was short-sighted.

Gotham detective Jason Bard starts up a protest group called the Joker Clan. Harley sees potential in it, but is disgusted at using Joker's image to push the agenda. Superman crashes one of the protests and vaporizes everyone in the building. Batman's side tries to go public with the footage of this, but Raven and Cyborg are able to get rid of every trace of it.

Catwoman leaves Batman's side, feeling that they've been fighting the war for too long and they're not a step closer to success. She joins up with Superman as kind of a plea bargain measure, as she just wants the fighting to be over.

Dick Grayon's ghost helps out Robin without Robin realizing it. He has a Nightwing suit delivered to him, causing Damian Wayne to take up the mantle.

Superman attempts to intimidate Alfred to tell him where Batman's hiding out. Alfred instead shows that he is all out of fucks to give and casually drops dry insult after dry insult before asking Superman to leave. Rather than get his own hands dirty, Superman has Mr. Zsasz kill Alfred in a knife fight as a way to draw Batman out of hiding. Damian doesn't know that Superman is behind Alfred's death and ends up killing Zsasz when Batman won't.

There's some stuff about Hawkman and Hawkgirl in there, but who cares. Superman kills Hawkman.

Batman and Luthor realize that they're running out of options. Batman has a kryptonite gun, but he needs the DNA of various Justice League members to use it. They're all either on Superman's side or dead. Luthor comes up with the idea of getting the DNA from another universe. To do that, they need a motherbox and since Superman's side has one of those in storage, they hire Deathstroke to get it. Deathstroke bowls through a bunch of goons and Metamorpho to fulfill the mission and sends the motherbox schematics to Batman, but then he's caught by Raven and Cyborg.

By the end, we reach the beginning of the Injustice game where people from the "main continuity" are pulled into the Injustice universe.

THE GAME/GROUND ZERO

Ground Zero is the comic adaptation of Injustice told from Harley’s side. She ends up leading the Joker Clan, but mainly has about six of the masked hoods in her inner circle. Although she can never get their names right, she’s incredibly loyal and good to them, based on her own history as a henchman. In turn, they’re loyal to her.

Injustice Batman uses a machine to pull in Batman, Green Arrow, Aquaman, Wonder Woman, and Green Lantern from “Earth One.” Joker ends up coming for the ride as well and Cyborg appears later. Outside of Batman, everyone is pretty disgusted with their alternate selves. They end up freeing Deathstroke, meeting with good guy Luthor, and work to put that kryptonite gun together.

Harley falls into old habits with this Earth One Joker around. At one point, she meets with Zatanna and Dr. Fate (whose reappearance isn’t explained) and Fate tells her that only she can recite the magic word to break the Joker’s spell on her: “No.” Regardless, Joker continues to abuse her and turns the Joker Clan against her. With the help of Luthor and Harley’s inner circle Joker Clan buddies, she ends up finally conquering her Stockholm syndrome. Her friends then rebrand themselves the Harley Horde.

Batman’s side blows up the Watchtower and sets up this big battle where Luthor can use the kryptonite gun on Superman. Shazam prevents Luthor from pulling it off at the last second. Superman tears Luthor’s armor apart, screams at him for the betrayal and snaps his neck. Then he hears all the citizens murmuring about what he just did and flies off.

Superman’s basically lost his poo poo at this point and wants to lay waste to both Gotham and the rebuilt Metropolis, just to show everyone who’s boss. Shazam speaks up against this and Superman reacts by freezing his mouth shut and burning two holes through his head. As Solomon Grundy sadly drags the body away, Flash decides that enough is enough and switches sides.

Injustice Batman realizes that since his kryptonite gun plan went tits up, there’s no reason to keep the Earth One guys around, so he tells them to go home. Earth One Batman figures that if the big bad is Superman, why not just counter with another Superman? Obviously, he’s seen Bill and Ted’s Bogus Journey. Injustice Batman is too distrusting of Superman as a concept, so he refuses out of prejudice. The Batmen fight it out, Earth One wins and it’s agreed to bring in the good Superman.

Injustice Aquaman is supposed to lead his army into loving poo poo up while Injustice Wonder Woman is supposed to do the same with her amazons. Instead, Earth One Wonder Woman beats up her counterpart and convinces the amazons to join her side and fight against the Atlanteans.

Earth One Superman shows up and takes down the likes of Black Adam, Sinestro and Doomsday. Yellow Lantern wordlessly understands that he hosed up and hands over his ring. Harley helps out during the Doomsday fight and Earth One Superman is pretty jazzed to see that in this hosed up, dark alternate reality, even someone like Harley can prove that not all hope is lost.

Earth One Superman flies to the Fortress of Solitude and defeats his Injustice self, who was so far gone that he intended to kidnap Earth One Lois and make her his. Injustice Superman is locked up in a cell filled with red sun lamps to keep him depowered. Hal Jordan is forced to go to trial under the Guardians, Flash is arrested despite helping the good guys, Earth One Cyborg mourns Lex Luthor and most importantly, Bruce Wayne tries to help put their world back the way it should be.

Earth One Superman offers to return if Injustice Superman ever escapes. Injustice Batman threatens to take a trip to Earth One if their Superman ever steps out of line.

As for Harley, she waits out the end of the war by playfully kicking the poo poo out of the Joker until Earth One Batman arrives to bring him home. Sometime later, Harley visits Earth One and pals around with her counterpart, telling her the entire Injustice storyline in vain hopes of getting through to her and convincing her to be her own woman.

Gavok
Oct 10, 2005

...tooth?

HebrewMagic posted:

Look just give me Christian Bale Costume Batman and make my special a 15 minute stretch of him verbally abusing my opponent

*Clash wager activated*

"I'm the fastest man alive!"

"OH GOOD FOR YOUUUUU!!"

Gavok
Oct 10, 2005

...tooth?

That reminds me, one of the most inspired ideas in the Injustice comic is that as powerful as Black Adam is, Wonder Woman is his weakness. All she needs to do is lasso him and ask "What's the magic word?" Instant depowering.

I'll start with the profile pieces a little later today with updates on the guys who were in the first game.

Gavok
Oct 10, 2005

...tooth?

I guess I might as well get on with it.

GUIDE TO THE INJUSTICE 2 ROSTER: INTRODUCTION

Before I get to the game's cast, let's take a quick look at the DC universe itself.

DC's continuity is a complicated mess. Originally, back in the 30's and 40's, DC hit the scene with Superman, Batman, Wonder Woman, Green Lantern, Flash and other Golden Age heroes. Popularity died down a bit except for the first three (early Wonder Woman sold a lot through the years due to being a thinly-veiled fetish comic) and during the late 50's/early 60's, DC reintroduced a lot of their ideas. Superman, Batman and Wonder Woman were more or less the same concepts, but Green Lantern went from being a magical dude in a cape to a space cop in spandex and the Flash went from being a dude dressed as Mercury to a masked man with lightning bolt ears. Eventually, they figured out a storyline reason for this. The Golden Age of DC took place on Earth-2 while the "modern" stuff took place on Earth-1. This was discovered when 60's Flash teleported himself to Earth-2 to meet the original Flash. This also meant that Earth-2 Superman, Batman and Wonder Woman were all about 20 years older than their modern counterparts.
'
They did a lot of inter-dimensional crossovers and over the next twenty years created a lot of new universes with their own continuities (ie. the world where the heroes are villains and vice versa). This became a huge headache and DC wanted to simplify things so new readers could get into comics easier. In the mid-80's, DC did a huge event story called Crisis on Infinite Earths. While an epic, it's also incredibly dense and boring. New readers think to check it out because it's important, only to be knocked into a coma. Anyway, the story had this big villain the Anti-Monitor show up to destroy most of the various alternate dimensions. In the end, the handful of remaining ones were merged together, Anti-Monitor was destroyed and continuity sort of rewrote itself.

Now DC could write a ton of stuff from the ground up. A chunk of the continuity stayed the same, only DC decided that Superman, Batman and Wonder Woman were never part of the Justice League for the sake of writing stories where Superman and Batman could meet for the first time. Also, characters like Captain Marvel (Shazam) and Blue Beetle, from other comic companies DC had bought out, were now part of the same world instead of just being from alternate realities.

Then in the 90's there was this story called Zero Hour where an evil Hal Jordan and another guy tried to change history and¡­ hell if I know. I tried reading it and couldn't get past the first issue. This again changed DC continuity, but more of a quick fix of different details than a major reboot.

In mid-00's, DC had some alternate universe survivors from Crisis on Infinite Earths show up to cause trouble in a big story called Infinite Crisis. In an attempt to bring back the multiverse and/or create a better world where comic heroes weren't violent rear end in a top hat failures, the villains accidentally caused another quick fix to continuity because why not (Superman, Batman and Wonder Woman were part of the original Justice League after all!). Also, there were now exactly 52 alternate universes.

Several years later, DC sales were completely in the shitter for anything that wasn't Batman or Green Lantern. Pressured by the higher ups, they desperately turned one of their upcoming Flash stories into an excuse to do another major reboot. The story Flashpoint -- which involved the Flash accidentally changing the world radically via time travel -- ended with Flash setting things back to normal¡­ish. Characters from other continuities DC had written (like superhero teams the Authority and Gen 13 from their Wildstorm line) become integrated into DC's "New 52". DC ended all of their comics and restarted them at #1 with 52 titles. Batman and Green Lantern more or less kept their continuities in check, but nearly everything else got the axe.

Superman was no longer involved with Lois, certain popular characters didn't even exist anymore, Shazam had gone from pure-hearted to kind of a dopey rear end in a top hat, the original Batgirl could walk again just because, nobody was wearing underwear on the outside of their pants and superheroes had been in the public eye for five years. Because it came so suddenly, the whole thing was a mess. It helped sales initially, but at the end of the day, they were just rearranging chairs on the deck of the Titanic.

Injustice obviously isn't canon with DC continuity, but its character portrayals and inspirations come from the universe from just before Flashpoint happened. Meanwhile, the costume designs were based on the post-Flashpoint depictions.

Now, one of the reasons the game's story and the comic prequel worked so well because despite all the horrors, the message was still, "This isn't how things are supposed to be." That contrasted with DC's New 52 status quo, where everything appeared to be an overly gritty nightmare and near everyone was a violent rear end in a top hat. Once the honeymoon was over, DC's sales started to go south again while Marvel ate their lunch.

DC then did another multiverse-related event called Convergence. It didn't bring any meaningful change to the DC status quo or anything, but I feel it's worth mentioning since it was a plot heavily involving Brainiac and it temporarily killed off the Injustice universe.

More recently, DC started an event/status quo/massive apology called DC Rebirth. Wally West Flash was never really brought into the New 52, so his pre-Flashpoint self would appear as a fading ghost, calling out to people who had no idea who he was. Then Barry Allen Flash was all, "Uh... who are you and what are you talking abou--OH poo poo, WALLY?! DUDE! What the hell?!" He brought him back to solid form and we discovered that Barry Allen's recklessness did NOT create the New 52.

Nope. Instead, the New 52 was created by Dr. Manhattan. From Watchmen. They're seriously building towards a DC/Watchmen crossover storyline. They also used Watchmen as a scapegoat, saying, "We're really sorry that our comics have been grimdark and hopeless for so long, but this is all Alan Moore's fault for making Watchmen! We'll be better now, we promise!" Ugh.

And to their credit, DC has been crawling out of its creative hole, especially with the comics born out of Rebirth. Their comics have been getting way better while Marvel's been losing major steam.

Gavok
Oct 10, 2005

...tooth?

AnonSpore posted:

Which part of this is the part where there's a Superman from The Actual Real World With DC Comics and Everything who turns evil and tries to kill his writers or something

Superboy Prime shows up in Crisis on Infinite Earths as a good guy. Then he's revealed to be one of the main villains in Infinite Crisis. He attempts to murder DC's writers in Blackest Night.

I really wish Superboy Prime was in Injustice 2. Constantly whining about how unbalanced the game is and how NetherRealm needs to buff his offense.

Gavok
Oct 10, 2005

...tooth?

BetterToRuleInHell posted:

Superboy Prime went out in a amazing way in Crisis on Infinite Earths, sacrificing himself alongside Earth Two/Golden Age Superman. What comic was it that ended with him in a basement reading the very comic he's in, looking at the reader screaming about escaping/finding his way out? Legion of Three Worlds? I can't remember, but that feels like that was the firs time they fully accepted the Superboy Prime meta.

Legion of Three Worlds, yeah. In the end, Earth Prime is finally brought back from the ether and Superboy Prime finds his way home, but his parents and girlfriend read the comics he was in and are terrified of him because they've seen what he's become. The last page or two is him yelling at the reader while his parents do his bidding.

Dark_Tzitzimine posted:

So much for a less evil Superman

https://twitter.com/InjusticeGame/status/845440102184579072

Any idea on who's the one kneeled on the right?

If anyone's going to redeem themselves, it's Damian. The prequel comics have put too much emphasis on Ghost Dick (I refuse to call him anything else) trying to patch things up between Bruce and Damian without any real conclusion.

Gavok
Oct 10, 2005

...tooth?

If Joker's in the game, I hope they never explain it. Have people wonder about it, throw out some theories and some hints, but never give a concrete idea of how he's there.

Gavok
Oct 10, 2005

...tooth?

If Sub-Zero is one of the DLC characters, I at least want his Dark Knight of Earthrealm costume from his MKvDCU ending. Basically his regular costume, but with the MK dragon logo on his chest and a bigass cape.

Gavok
Oct 10, 2005

...tooth?

AQUAMAN

Alias: Arthur Curry, Orin
First Appearance: More Fun Comics #73 (1941)
Powers: Can breathe underwater, mentally communicate with sea life to make them do his bidding, has the strength and durability that allows him to exist in the deepest depths of the ocean.

Aquaman has a handful of different origins from over the years. Originally he was a human boy whose father taught him how to breathe underwater (it was the 40’s). Then he was the son of a man and an Atlantian woman. Then he was just purely from Atlantis, but ended up adopted by a human. They’ve since gone back to the mixed parentage idea.

Aquaman became the king of the seas, got a couple sidekicks in Aqualad and Aquagirl, and a queen in Mera. Mera herself is some kind of human-looking alien or something. I don’t know. He was a founding member of the Justice League, but in terms of that team, he’s more remembered for being part of what’s considered the worst Justice League incarnation.

Back in the 80’s, DC wanted to change up the Justice League and since Marvel was kicking rear end with the X-Men comics, they had the classic League disband for the sake of starting a new team that was mostly made up of angsty teenagers fighting crime in Detroit. Aquaman was the leader of this Detroit League and sales tanked pretty hard.

Aquaman had become something of a joke to anyone who had knowledge of the character from the Superfriends cartoon, since his whole deal was that he was, “that guy who talks to fish.” DC Comics had developed something of a chip on their shoulder from this. They tried to make him more serious by having one of his villains kill his baby son, which drove Mera insane. Then they had Aquaman get his hand eaten off by a school of piranhas.

In the 90’s, they tried to butch him up by giving him long hair, a beard and a hook hand. The run of that character was supposedly pretty good, but reeked of trying too hard. Later they returned him to his classic look, only instead of a hook, his hand was made of magic water. That was kind of cool.

Then for several years, Aquaman’s whole existence became a clusterfuck. In order to save Sub Diego (San Diego, which is now underwater and everyone can breathe fine) from the Spectre (the literal wrath of God, who had gone insane), Aquaman sacrificed himself and became some tentacle-faced wizard with amnesia. Then there’s a new Aquaman named Arthur Joseph who was just an underwater version of Conan the Barbarian. Tentacle-faced amnesiac Aquaman got killed and Aquaman the Barbarian took up the throne, but then DC kind of forgot about the new guy and let him fade into obscurity.

In one of the weirdest comic book moments, a zombie Aquaman appeared during the big Green Lantern event Blackest Night to haunt Mera. Mera had been empowered by a Red Lantern ring (more on that in the next installment), building on her intense rage. When Aquaman held up his zombie baby to taunt her, Mera vomited napalm blood onto them both while yelling, “I never wanted to have children!” At the end of the story, this mysterious force of white light resurrected a dozen dead DC characters for its own cryptic reasons. One of them was Aquaman. After that, Aquaman had the ability to control dead and decaying marine life.

In the New 52 reboot, Aquaman was again a founding member of the Justice League, but had become a laughing stock in that world due to being “that dude who talks to fish.” This was despite being able to deflect bullets with his forehead and summon giant sharks to eat alien demons. He was in a spot where both the humans and the Atlanteans looked down at him and the only one who truly cared for him was Mera, who held onto a big, “gently caress the humans for what they say about you!” sentiment.

New 52 Aquaman also had a sweet side-team of adventurers named The Others made up of new characters. I was one of the very few who seemed to dig them but even I forgot that they existed. But for real, Prisoner of War was maybe my favorite character to come out of New 52.

He has two main villains. One is Black Manta, a sea pirate who, in one continuity, was a black separatist who wanted all black people to live underwater. He’s remembered for having coolest voice on Superfriends. He was also renamed “Devil Ray” on the Justice League cartoon because of a dumb rule that made Aquaman characters other than Aquaman himself off-limits due to the creation of the Aquaman TV pilot that never went anywhere.

The other big villain is Ocean Master, Aquaman’s half-brother. His usual deal is that he’s jealous of Aquaman and wants to be king instead. New 52 actually made him more likable, probably for the sake of his eventual turn to outright evil hitting harder, but then he fell into a bit of obscurity.

Speaking of New 52, Aquaman was connected to one of the funniest, “what the gently caress is wrong with this company?” editorial decisions. See, the creative team working on Batwoman were leaving the book and wanted to end their story with Batwoman proposing to her girlfriend. DC said no. People got up in arms because they took it as an anti-gay stance when Marvel and even Archie Comics have featured gay marriages. DC instead went deeper. They weren’t anti-gay. They were anti-marriage. They pointed out that none of their rebooted heroes were married because you can’t be married AND be a superhero. That would just be silly. This also meant that all this time, the king and queen of Atlantis weren’t actually married. Once DC started their Rebirth thing, Aquaman immediately proposed to Mera.

The cartoon Batman: the Brave and the Bold made Aquaman awesome by essentially making him some kind of mix of Hank Scorpio and Zapp Brannigan. Naturally, DC has made no attempt to piggyback onto this popularity, though his Justice League Roman Reigns movie self is a step in the right direction.

Gavok
Oct 10, 2005

...tooth?

For the returning characters, pretty much, although I am updating accordingly. It's been four years, after all. But the next one is a new character.

Gavok
Oct 10, 2005

...tooth?

AndyElusive posted:

I've actually been meaning to read Blackest Night, for a really long time.

But first, shouldn't I read Sinestro Corps War? See, I don't really know where to start when it comes to Green Lantern.

Start with Green Lantern: Rebirth and just work your way through Geoff Johns' GL run. It does really run out of gas towards the end (after Blackest Night), but it's a very solid run.

Gavok
Oct 10, 2005

...tooth?

And now the most recent character to show up in the game.

ATROCITUS

Alias: Atros
First Appearance: Green Lantern v.4 #25 (2007)
Powers: Wields a Red Lantern ring, which allows him super strength, durability, napalm vomit and light constructs. Can see visions of the future.

When Geoff Johns did his lengthy Green Lantern run through the 00’s, he looked at a lot of pieces of the Green Lantern mythology and used them as connected building blocks towards something bigger. They had the big villain Sinestro, who used a yellow energy ring, but with yellow no longer being a Green Lantern weakness and there being an entire corps compared to one bad guy, where else can you go than have Sinestro start his own team of yellow ring-slingers?

Then there’s the Star Sapphires, who are like violet, voluptuous offshoots of the Green Lanterns. And once upon a time, Alan Moore wrote a short story that mentioned a prophesized “Blackest Night” that would put an end to the Green Lantern Corps. So Johns decided to connect the dots. There are Green Lanterns, Yellow Lanterns and Violet Lanterns and some future event tied into the color black. Why stop there?

Johns created Atrocitus, the leader of the Red Lanterns. Atros was a psychologist in Sector 666 whose entire planet was wiped out by a bunch of rogue Manhunters (think Space Terminators). Losing everything, especially his family, Atros renamed himself Atrocitus, hooked up with the few remaining survivors, and started a crazy blood cult. Through their rituals, Atrocitus saw a few glances into the future, including the coming of the Blackest Night.

Atrocitus was retconned into not only being the guy who killed Abin Sur on his way to Earth during Hal Jordan’s origin, but he also told Sinestro that his home world of Korugar would fall into chaos, thereby pushing Sinestro into the path of self-destructive dictatorship.

Atrocitus sacrificed the other survivors and created a giant Red Lantern battery and rings. He built up an army of rage-induced soldiers, some in response to the big Green Lantern vs. Sinestro Corps war. For most Red Lanterns, they remain mindless and savage in their hatred, acting like the infected from 28 Days Later. There’s a fix for that, but Atrocitus chooses not to use it for the most part because he’s a dick and I guess it keeps them in line. Also, losing your red ring proves fatal unless a Blue Lantern is able to cure you.

Since the Manhunters were originally created by the Guardians of Oa, Atrocitus was originally dedicated to wiping out the Green Lantern Corps as a giant middle finger. Then again, he also hated Sinestro too, so he wasn’t initially going to side with either gang.

One of the more marquee members of the Red Lanterns is Atrocitus’ pet and sidekick Dex-Starr. Formerly a cat from Earth named Dexter, he was powerless to stop his master from being killed by a home invader. After being tossed into a sack and thrown off a bridge by some rear end in a top hat kids, Dexter’s anger summoned a Red Lantern ring and empowered him.

Another notable member is Bleez, whose design is so completely NetherRealm that I’m genuinely surprised they used Atrocitus in the game instead of her. She seriously looks like Ed Boon tried to redesign Morrigan from Darkstalkers. Eventually granted her wits by Atrocitus instead of being a mindless psycho, Bleez attempted to usurp Atrocitus once or twice, but never pulled it off. She later became a bit more of a heroic figure.

Being forced to team up with the different Lantern Corps several times over, Atrocitus started to become more of a Galactic Frank Castle and was portrayed as more of an antihero. He also got his revenge on Krona, the renegade Oan who was responsible for the Manhunters that took his family. After the revenge, Atrocitus chose to use the Red Lanterns to kill the guilty of the universe, as he’d otherwise lose his anger.

As the main character in the Red Lanterns series, Atrocitus was kind of lame and angsty. Especially when he discovered that if his planet hadn’t been killed, he would have become a dictator and his son would have killed him. Luckily, writer Charles Soule briefly made Red Lanterns one of the most underrated comics in DC by having Guy Gardner (complete with Lemmy mustache) join the team as a mole, overthrow Atrocitus, free the minds of the other members and go on pissed off space adventures. Supergirl joined the team for a bit too. It was great.

With Guy as the hero, Atrocitus and Dex-Starr became the villains of the book, briefly starting their own splinter group. They vanished after a pretty major defeat, but the book ended soon after and Guy went back to being just a Green Lantern.

Since Rebirth, Atrocitus is back in charge of the Red Lanterns with Bleez back on his side and they’re outright villains again. Such is life.

Gavok
Oct 10, 2005

...tooth?

MinibarMatchman posted:

haha that's exactly what I was thinking of. I only just saw it months ago and was amazed at how great the intro is.

Reading the Atrocitus bio and ending with "now he's just a regular villain again" is why I dislike DC. They continuously, almost accidentally, let great narratives happen and then just reboot poo poo back to the most boring and bloodless status quo. How can anyone bear reading a comics license that repeatedly retcons every single thing? How could anyone get away with this poo poo like 5 times already?

You don't even need the retcons. Marvel and DC decide "now he's just a regular villain again" all the time and it's a pain in the rear end almost every time. The absolute worst was the Riddler. For maybe two years, Riddler had a new status quo where he decided he wasn't going to live a life of crime anymore. Instead, he started his own detective agency. Not only would he make bank for doing what comes natural to him, but he'd still be able to prove his intellectual superiority to Batman by beating him to the punch... without going to Arkham for it. The two became uneasy allies for a time and it came to an end when one writer had Riddler survive an explosion and suddenly go, "I now remember that Batman is Bruce Wayne and I'm evil again!"

Gavok
Oct 10, 2005

...tooth?

Dark_Tzitzimine posted:

the junkie obsessed with Batman that seemingly can't go five minutes without saying how he will break you.

MinibarMatchman posted:

"oh I'm bane, I break people, that's what I do"

That's why I love the latest episode of Death Battle. It's Bane vs. Venom and although Bane's advantages include better hand-to-hand combat and intellect, he loses because he's too dumb not to try breaking a weakened Venom over his knee. Because that's his whole deal. Rather than lose, Venom just impales him a bunch of times and shrugs off the broken back.

Gavok
Oct 10, 2005

...tooth?

Lurdiak posted:

I don't know that Plastic Man and Bane have interacted much, for example.

There was a fun one-shot years ago called Justice League Presents Plastic Man. One of the stories in it was called *deep breath* The Age of Crisis on Infinite Clones Saga Starring Plastic Man Red and Plastic Man Blue, Chapter One Million: Onslaught of the Secret Genesis Wars Agenda. The opening image was Bane trying to break Plastic Man over his knee while Plas leaned his elbow over Bane's shoulder and acted casual about it all.

Gavok
Oct 10, 2005

...tooth?

Yardbomb posted:

Kotal and his guys were really the biggest missed opportunity of MKX, he had some of the neatest people in the roster on his side and they were mostly new characters too, Erron Black's cool, Ferra/Torr are cool, D'vorah is alright, Ermac's cool, Reptile is as ever doofy but good.

The MKX comic prequel wasn't the best thing, but it did build up Kotal Kahn as this supreme badass antihero with a tragic edge that the game never truly jibed with. Though I did like how some of the endings flipped the script and made it seem like Kotal would become the new protagonist by having him defend Outworld against an invading Raiden via Mortal Kombat.

McSpanky posted:

They just re-released it since the guy who played the Flash on that show is the Flash's dad on the new CW series, I think it's on Netflix as well. It's super dated but it still has a goofy charm, and check out Mark Hamill in the role that really defined his career!

Hamill even reprised the role in Justice League Unlimited, giving us one of the show's best scenes.

"Hey, after you finish your drink, turn yourself in."

"Got me again, Flash!"

Gavok
Oct 10, 2005

...tooth?

HMS Beagle posted:

Was there ever some meta, Morrison-sequel story where Red Hood gets revenge on fans who voted for his death?

Closest thing was a Morrison story where Red Hood was a straight-up villain. He kidnapped Batman and Robin (Dick and Damian), stripped them down and made an announcement on TV that if a certain phone number gets enough calls, the cameras will go live and show the world who Batman and Robin really are.

Gavok
Oct 10, 2005

...tooth?

Jimmy Hats posted:

I only know who Hal is and i think most people only know who hal is and you're all dorks

Keep in mind that for over a decade, Hal was either evil or dead and that came during a time when the most popular animated version of the DC Universe flourished. During the years of Batman/Superman/Justice League cartoons, the most representation Hal ever got was a couple of Easter eggs. John Stewart ended up being the most well-rounded member of the Justice League and arguably had the most focus.

If it hadn't been for the movie, John would be the most well-known. There were even plans of having Common play him in an earlier attempt at a Justice League movie.

MinibarMatchman posted:

"this guy can construct anything out of willpower"

"ok, have him wielding a gun on the cover"

The point of the gun is that Simon knows the logic of not putting all your eggs in one basket. The green ring is awesome, but it doesn't hurt to have a side-arm just in case.

Gavok
Oct 10, 2005

...tooth?

KungFu Grip posted:

Dr. Manhattan and all his moves are one shot kills. There'll be dong physics though.

Put in Dr. Manhattan and give him Orochi's exact movelist.

Gavok
Oct 10, 2005

...tooth?

He looks like a gritty reboot of Joker from Savage Reign/Kizuna Encounter.

Gavok
Oct 10, 2005

...tooth?

I want Joker to be Jason Todd just to finish off the "Joker dies and is reborn via Robin" trifecta with Dick (Dark Knight Strikes Again) and Tim (Batman Beyond).

Gavok
Oct 10, 2005

...tooth?

KungFu Grip posted:

I just remember that DC has Hanna Barbara comics and now I want Space Ghost for DLC.

Only if he comes with a Leonard Ghostal skin.

"And just who the hell are you supposed to be?"
"Darkseid... IS."
"Yeah! Darkseid IS going to be counting his teeth off the floor after I hit him with a running dropkick, brotha!"

Gavok
Oct 10, 2005

...tooth?

Speaking of Nightwing's death, here's a write-up I did on every DC character death in the Injustice timeline as of this week's comic.

Miss ya, Alfred.

Gavok
Oct 10, 2005

...tooth?

I think what DT's getting at is that having Jason Firestorm dress in Deathstorm colors is like having Daredevil cosplay as Bullseye.

Gavok
Oct 10, 2005

...tooth?

I really want Raiden's ending to be a reveal that the Injustice universe is what happened after Raiden fiddled with the DCU, much like how New 52 was blamed on Dr. Manhattan.

Gavok
Oct 10, 2005

...tooth?

Evil Canadian posted:

And for those not in the more competitive side of things, Punk, the current top sf5 player was ballying about how he can body all NRS players for free, including sonic fox.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=O9wR_jtUg0A

Someone took him up on it, and Punk got 10-0'ed in a first to 10 so that's always fun.

As a wrestling fan, I can appreciate a situation where a loudmouth named Punk moves to a very different format and gets his rear end completely handed to him.

Gavok
Oct 10, 2005

...tooth?

Funky Valentine posted:

Cesar Romero Joker skin would be basically the most perfect thing.

There was a comic about what it would be like if Bane existed during the 1960's Batman show. What I'm saying is I want Snazzy Luchador Bane as a skin.

Gavok
Oct 10, 2005

...tooth?

FunkMonkey posted:

Can you gay romance Grodd, that's all I care about.

Only if you use the Monsieur Mallah premium skin.

Gavok
Oct 10, 2005

...tooth?

We find out the real reason Sub-Zero's there is because he needs Superman and Batman to help him, Ryu, Iron Man and the rest defeat Dark Ultkahn Sigma, the hybridiest villain yet.

Gavok
Oct 10, 2005

...tooth?

Saint Freak posted:

Is Deadshot known for anything but jobbing?

Getting jiggy with it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Gavok
Oct 10, 2005

...tooth?

Mortal Kombat/Injustice story modes ranked:

1) Injustice 2
2) Mortal Kombat 9
3) MK vs. DC Universe
4) Mortal Kombat X