Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Warmal
Aug 12, 2011

And yes I do mean every single one. That does not include the DS or 3DS games. We'll be focusing on the main games. 1 thru 10. Now then, everyone knows what these games are known for. The original for messing up peoples palms, so much so that Nintendo made a glove to send to people who played the game. But it's known more for destroying relationships. Truly, this series has become known as the Monopoly of video games. And rightfully so. I know I've caused many fights, and gotten unnecessarily angry at people while playing it. So what better than a married couple to play all of them?

For anyone who doesn't know what Mario Party is, it's a series of party games for 1 to 4 players. Everyone picks a beloved Mario character and takes turns walking around a board to collect coins and stars. The winner is the one with the most stars after a set amount of turns. But of course, it's not always easy. Bowser is trying to stop you, and there are plenty of ways to screw over the other players. After every turn, you play mini-games and really it's just a lot of fun. Of course, the latter entries have kind of changed and I haven't met a lot of people who have really liked them. But we'll get to that later.

We have completed an LP of Mario Party Advance which is you can find here.

The Let's Play

Me and my wife, Callifornia2, will be playing each and every board in each Mario Party. We will also show off any bonus stuff the games hold. We each have our own favourite entry and would like to know which games are your favourites. I would like for this thread to stay as civil as possible.

We will be playing with an easy and a hard computer so this could really go either way for us. We switched the hard CPU to normal because Mario Party 2 was destroying us inside. Also. Mini-game explanations will be turned off and speed will be put up to maximum. Updates will be once week. Each main update will be half of a board so plan on this going on for quite a while. I will be keeping track of the number of coins and total stars each of us get and those standings will be at the bottom of this post. If anyone would like to keep track of more detailed stats I am more than happy to include them as well.

Also try your hand at wining some stars! After part 1 airs, and you have 10 turns to see how things are going, take a guess on who will win. You can include your reasoning as well. If you're right you'll get a nice shiny new power star. Guessers and stars will be bellow just underneath the standings. HAVE FUN!

Let's Get the Party on the Way

DK's Jungle Adventure Part 1 Part 2
Mario's Rainbow Castle Part 1 Part 2
Peach's Birthday Cake Part 1 Part 2
Yoshi's Tropical Island Part 1 Part 2
Wario's Battle Canyon Part 1 Part 2
Minigame Stadium The Whole Board
Luigi's Engine Room Part 1 Part 2
Bowser's Magma Mountain Part 1 Part 2
Mini Game Island What We Could Do
Eternal Star Part 1 Part 2 & Credits

The Standings
Michael: 26 Stars | 574 Coins
Calli: 17 Stars | 424 Coins
Easy CPU: 12 Star | 331 Coins
Hard CPU: 11 Stars | 510 Coins
Shywulf -

Pirate Land Part 1 Part 2
Western Land Part 1 Part 2
Mini-Game Stadium The Whole Dang Thing
Space Land Part 1 Part 2
Mystery Land Part 1 Part 2
Mini-Game Coaster OH BOY IS THIS GREAT
Horror Land Part 1 Part 2
Bowser Land Part 1 Part 2 & Credits

The Standings
Michael: 16 Stars | 541 Coins
Calli: 17 Stars | 362 Coins
Easy CPU: 7 Stars | 197 Coins
Hard/Normal CPU: 14 Stars | 273 Coins
Fefnir -

Story Mode Chilly Waters
Story Mode Gate Guy
Multiplayer - Chilly Waters Part 1 Part 2
Story Mode Deep Bloober Sea
Story Mode Arrowhead
Multiplayer - Deep Bloober Sea Part 1

The Standings
Michael: 1 Star | 9 Coins
Calli: 5 Stars | 64 Coins
Normal CPU: 2 Stars | 58 Coins
Easy CPU: 1 Star | 20 Coins

STAR GUESSING EXTRAVAGANZA
Fefnir -
lightace -
Shywulf -
WordOnTheWind -
RadicalEddie -
frozentrasure -
Senerio -
Kilza -
Technowolf -
Bruceski -
mateo360 -
Edvarius -
nonrev -
CirclMastr -
get that OUT of my face -
jivjov -
RydogZeta -
MR. J -
oldskool -
Ometeotl -

THE FROZENTREASURE CORNER
Slot Car Derby MLG Pro Strats
The Mario Party 2 Minigame Secrets Vault
The Mecha Decathlon
Minigame Coaster

FAN ART

Simultaneous Let's Plays
Because we are gluttons for punishment it seems, here's some other Let's Plays we are currently doing.
Three Heart Blind Guide - Ocarina of Time - By Michael with special guest Mel
No no Kuni: Wrath of the White Wtich - By Calli

Warmal fucked around with this message at 13:15 on Oct 9, 2017

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Warmal
Aug 12, 2011

Saving just in case.

get that OUT of my face
Feb 10, 2007

I've only played the first two Mario Party games at length. I think the second one was the better game, but I liked that there were minigames in the first one where you could steal coins. Mario Party without Grab Bag and Bash n Cash just doesn't feel the same.

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!
Yess. I love watching friendships be ruined by this game :getin:

edit: By which I mean, good luck! I will be cheering for you!

Yapping Eevee
Nov 12, 2011

STAND TOGETHER.
FIGHT WITH HONOR.
RESTORE BALANCE.

Eevees play for free.
Oof, turning off minigame explanations is rough. Wonder how long that'll last. :v:

This is gonna be fun. :getin:

Jobbo_Fett
Mar 7, 2014

Slava Ukrayini

Clapping Larry
Ah, Mario Party 1, the game that gave you palm blisters and gave rise to gamer gloves.

Also, Mini-Game island was loving awesome and I remember beating that as a kid after months of attempts.

MatchaZed
Feb 14, 2010

We Can Do It!

You two are playing Mario Party 1 on emulator right, so if you want to play the hidden map, you could just get a save with it unlocked.

So far I'm enjoying the video a lot though, doing a detailed discussion rather than uh, just Wario Party. Not that Wario Party wasn't hilarious.

Warmal
Aug 12, 2011

I'm glad you're enjoying it so far. Our conversations will change a lot over the course of the games. Sometimes we'll talk a lot about the game. Sometimes we'll just talk about life and whats going on. Anything to really kill the desire to rage at things. And I realize I could get a save with it unlocked. But I feel like that takes away from it a bit. I'm using an emulator since I just don't currently have a means to record N64 games otherwise. We have since recording found a solution to the problem.

CJacobs posted:

Yess. I love watching friendships be ruined by this game :getin:

edit: By which I mean, good luck! I will be cheering for you!

The stakes are even higher this time then since it'd be ruining a marriage! I am determined not to let this game best me.

Senerio
Oct 19, 2009

Ooh! Are we messing with Adora?

I always love seeing people who are not me play Mario Party. The game is fun, but it's just as fun watching other people play it.

Glazius
Jul 22, 2007

Hail all those who are able,
any mouse can,
any mouse will,
but the Guard prevail.

Clapping Larry
I like Bowser's explanation for Bash and Cash. "Let's play a game where your friends beat you up and rob you! Then you'll know what it's like to be me!"

Warmal
Aug 12, 2011

Bowser is clearly just miss understood. He doesn't want to be bad. But the way he's been treated has forced his hand. Now not even parties are safe from his negative goals.

Jobbo_Fett
Mar 7, 2014

Slava Ukrayini

Clapping Larry
Bowser is a parent, and therefore must crash the party.

Ignatius M. Meen
May 26, 2011

Hello yes I heard there was a lovely trainwreck here and...

If you're ever unsure of what to do in a minigame remember that doing nothing is a valid strategy (as long as you're Luigi of course).

Warmal
Aug 12, 2011

That is incredibly incredible. If only I had the foresight to play as Luigi instead of Yoshi! Then I'd win every game for sure. I'll make sure to try it anyway though. You never know what may happen.

Tiggum
Oct 24, 2007

Your life and your quest end here.

My experience with these games is very occasionally being at someone's house where it's suggested that we play, and having no idea what to do or what was going on. I thought the idea was that it's supposed to be a sort of party game where you can just pick it up and everyone can have fun, but my experience is that actually what happens is the owner of the game just wins everything all the time forever and no one else has any fun.

So, what is the idea behind these games? I watched the video and I don't get it. You've both played before and you seem to be losing. Are these actually really hard games and the apparent tone and setting are just to trick the unwary? Who are these games for?

Jobbo_Fett
Mar 7, 2014

Slava Ukrayini

Clapping Larry

Tiggum posted:

My experience with these games is very occasionally being at someone's house where it's suggested that we play, and having no idea what to do or what was going on. I thought the idea was that it's supposed to be a sort of party game where you can just pick it up and everyone can have fun, but my experience is that actually what happens is the owner of the game just wins everything all the time forever and no one else has any fun.

So, what is the idea behind these games? I watched the video and I don't get it. You've both played before and you seem to be losing. Are these actually really hard games and the apparent tone and setting are just to trick the unwary? Who are these games for?

Not everyone is super good at video games and can do super well even on emulated versions of a game that may not be using original controls.

If you had someone host a MP and just win everything, that's a lovely host. Otherwise, yeah, most Mario Party mini-games are fairly easy to pick up and play. That being said, also being really good won't change much when you have luck, RNG, and varying levels of skill against you. You might be very good, for example, but it won't help you fight off 3 opponents while cannonballs rain down from the sky and you're trying desperately to not get hit.

Warmal
Aug 12, 2011

Also. The games do have a bit of strategy to them. It's supposed to just be picked up and played, and you really can do that in this games case, but knowing how it plays before hand does help. Whether it's smart to try and hoard coins, or rush to the star. Its kind of like Monopoly in that there is no real right way to play.

Like Jobbo_Fett said, you can know what you're doing but sometimes things just don't work out. And with how you can steal coins and stars in this game things can change rather quickly.

Ultimately the game can be hard. And a lot of people don't like that part of it. Computers cheat. They really do.

I'd say the games are for anyone as long as you go in with the right mindset and not play with people who are jerks.

I know this seems like a non answer but it's kind of hard to describe it. As for it looking like we're losing... you'll have to see what happens.

Jobbo_Fett
Mar 7, 2014

Slava Ukrayini

Clapping Larry
There's an easy rule for playing with a auper good player. Every time he wins a minigame he takes a shot. Game'll get a lot more even after that!

MatchaZed
Feb 14, 2010

We Can Do It!

Jobbo_Fett posted:

There's an easy rule for playing with a auper good player. Every time he wins a minigame he takes a shot. Game'll get a lot more even after that!

Doesn't work. He just gets alcohol poisoning. Speaking from experience.

Warmal
Aug 12, 2011

I personally have not played a Mario Party drinking game. I can imagine a lot of potential though. I mean a lot of opportunity to drink for different events. A good one would be taking a drink every time you lost coins.

Zanzibar Ham
Mar 17, 2009

You giving me the cold shoulder? How cruel.

Grimey Drawer

Warmal posted:

I personally have not played a Mario Party drinking game. I can imagine a lot of potential though. I mean a lot of opportunity to drink for different events. A good one would be taking a drink every time you lost coins.

Mario Party 2 (I think), Western Land, finish your drink every time someone starts a hootenanny.

Warmal
Aug 12, 2011

From my experience, that wouldn't bring in a lot drinks. Maybe finish your drink every time someone rides the train.

ZeeToo
Feb 20, 2008

I'm a kitty!

Warmal posted:

From my experience, that wouldn't bring in a lot drinks. Maybe finish your drink every time someone rides the train.

Take a drink every time the train moves.

Warmal
Aug 12, 2011

That'd be a good one. If I wasn't worried about the videos devovling into complete anarchy and possible even mess up recordings I would absolutely enact a drinking game. That and we tend to record a lot all at once so it could possible go extremely poorly.

RickVoid
Oct 21, 2010

Calli, 9 minutes, 40 seconds posted:

Aren't I your loving princess!? Shouldn't you be worshipping me!?

It begins. :getin:

Herr Tog
Jun 18, 2011

Grimey Drawer
I do not advise this course of action

Warmal
Aug 12, 2011

RickVoid posted:

It begins. :getin:

I'll have you know Calli forgot she had said that. But now that you've pointed it out she won't stop telling me I should worship her.

Also. We /probably/ won't end up doing any drinking games for this series. Unless something is really needed later on.

RickVoid
Oct 21, 2010

Warmal posted:

I'll have you know Calli forgot she had said that. But now that you've pointed it out she won't stop telling me I should worship her.

Glad I could help.

Warmal
Aug 12, 2011

Now let's get this party started back up. We conclude the first board of our grand adventure today. And the results may be surprising.

DK's Jungle Adventure - Part 2

Felinoid
Mar 8, 2009

Marginally better than Shepard's dancing. 2/10
Callie is right, I totally would have vomitted...if the lunch I was eating while watching this wasn't so delicious.

This is officially the gooniest I have ever been.

get that OUT of my face
Feb 10, 2007

Calli sounded so saccharine sweet throughout this video. Except for when she let out a disgusting belch.

Warmal
Aug 12, 2011

It's actually rather surprising how much Calli will burp on recordings. It's not like it's planned. It just always seems to happen.

We will be trying to keep up the sweetness throughout this game. Will we succeed? I don't know. We're not done recording it.

Glazius
Jul 22, 2007

Hail all those who are able,
any mouse can,
any mouse will,
but the Guard prevail.

Clapping Larry
Are the bonus stars for the first Mario Party fixed? Like, always for minigames, coins, and ? spaces?

RickVoid
Oct 21, 2010

get that OUT of my face posted:

Calli sounded so saccharine sweet throughout this video. Except for when she let out a disgusting belch.

Hot.

Araxxor
Oct 20, 2012

My disdain for you all knows no bounds.

Glazius posted:

Are the bonus stars for the first Mario Party fixed? Like, always for minigames, coins, and ? spaces?

Yep. They were fixed until Mario Party 7, which started randomizing which ones got given out.

Until that game, this created the problem of whoever gets the mini-game star, almost always gets the coin star.

Natural 20
Sep 17, 2007

Wearer of Compasses. Slayer of Gods. Champion of the Colosseum. Heart of the Void.
Saviour of Hallownest.
I feel like to really get the hatred of Mario party going you need to have four real players. It's too easy just to dick on the CPU as a team otherwise.

Callifornia2
Oct 16, 2014

Yorkshire Tea posted:

I feel like to really get the hatred of Mario party going you need to have four real players. It's too easy just to dick on the CPU as a team otherwise.

That's true. It would escalate a lot faster for us with more players but we only have each other sadly. We also think that it will get more competitive once we get past the first game or so. I never played the first 3 games but the 4th game was my favorite growing up. I will definitely feel the need to kick Michael's butt then for sure.

Callifornia2
Oct 16, 2014

get that OUT of my face posted:

I think I was having a really good day when we recorded these episodes. I'm usually pretty tired from work and don't feel like trying to act sweet and caring. On days where I get a lot of rest and some good food, I'm usually a lot happier then. As for the burping...I try my best.

LordHippoman
May 30, 2013

I, frankly, want this smug Jagen to be my avatar on all forms of social media immediately.

Yorkshire Tea posted:

This is a pretty accurate take. When there's no more CPU punching bag, the blood begins to flow.

Usually from your palms.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Warmal
Aug 12, 2011

The first game so far has been pretty civil. But it's also just the beginning. I went into this thinking we'd be pretty kind to each other. Love does that. I don't want to hurt my wife. But I mean. There's 10 whole games to get through.

• Locked thread