Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Bruceski
Aug 21, 2007

The tools of a hero mean nothing without a solid core.

It sounds like your co-worker has a latex allergy. If so, that's rather easy to accommodate (simply using different gloves) and can be ADA lawsuit-worthy if serious enough and ignored.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Samovar
Jun 4, 2011

I'm 😤 not a 🦸🏻‍♂️hero...🧜🏻

How do you know yer dog whines when your not at home?

StupidSexyMothman
Aug 9, 2010

I have a feeling Wario steals this one through Chance Time shenanigans.

White Coke
May 29, 2015

Samovar posted:

How do you know yer dog whines when your not at home?

Someone probably told them.

get that OUT of my face
Feb 10, 2007

oldskool posted:

I have a feeling Wario steals this one through Chance Time shenanigans.
I agree.

Warmal
Aug 12, 2011

Our dog also likes to break the blinds on the window as he's looking out of them. And it's only ever when we're not here that this happens.

As well. I'm actually working on getting recording from my N64 to work. So hopefully we won't have to use the emulator much longer.

Glazius
Jul 22, 2007

Hail all those who are able,
any mouse can,
any mouse will,
but the Guard prevail.

Clapping Larry
Yeah, this seems... exactly like the Mario level, except also with an escalating coin toll?

64bitrobot
Apr 20, 2009

Likes to Lurk
I think Yoshi's lead is only going to grow from here, so totally Yoshi.

Warmal
Aug 12, 2011

Glazius posted:

Yeah, this seems... exactly like the Mario level, except also with an escalating coin toll?

It is very similar to Mario's Rainbow Castle. The biggest different was spreading it out and breaking from the forced single pathway. Also. You can very easily spam Toad with some good luck.

Warmal
Aug 12, 2011

And now it is time to finish off the board. This may very well be the cutest of the end scenes in Mario Party. Very touching. Very heartwarming.

Yoshi's Tropical Island Part 2

And since we have completed another board, here is the standings for where everyone is at!

Power Star Guesses
frozentrasure -
Shywulf -
WordOnTheWind -
RickVoid -
get that OUT of my face -
MadameTanky -
Oldskool -
Zanzibar Ham -
64bitrobot -
Ignatius M. Meen -
Senario -
Technowolf -
Circlmastr -

Zanzibar Ham
Mar 17, 2009

You giving me the cold shoulder? How cruel.

Grimey Drawer

Warmal posted:

And now it is time to finish off the board. This may very well be the cutest of the end scenes in Mario Party. Very touching. Very heartwarming.

Yoshi's Tropical Island Part 2

I try to be as nice as possible to people in service jobs, but I'm sure I've been That Guy more than a few times. :(

Callifornia2
Oct 16, 2014

Zanzibar Ham posted:

So... What was in the empanadas? :v:

Seriously, I've been in the mood for an empanada for ages now, I don't know anywhere nearby to get one that might actually be good (or at least good enough for me).

Anyway, gonna guess that Yoshi wins, because it's his board! Makes as much sense as anything.

I still have no idea. It's either beef and chicken and then some vegetables. It's all ground up so even looking at it I can't tell and the box is always gone before I can read it for the ingredients so I've given up hope.

Bruceski posted:

It sounds like your co-worker has a latex allergy. If so, that's rather easy to accommodate (simply using different gloves) and can be ADA lawsuit-worthy if serious enough and ignored.

She might but it's more of she is lazy as hell and wants to be treated like she is special. She now even has her own box for these gloves. Apparently people were using her gloves so soap and water would get in and that irritated her hands. I respect anyone who has allergies. I just don't believe she does.

Warmal
Aug 12, 2011

Zanzibar Ham posted:

I try to be as nice as possible to people in service jobs, but I'm sure I've been That Guy more than a few times. :(

That's alright. It's the people that intentionally ruin service worker's days that are scum.

Samovar
Jun 4, 2011

Well, I can sympathise with the people desperate for that cheese. I, too, have often needed to hide a horse.

get that OUT of my face
Feb 10, 2007

I hope Teddy got to move around a lot after that recording.

I don't blame you for ranting about grocery store happenings. Retail is hell to work in.

Bruceski
Aug 21, 2007

Re: picking specific items, I have food allergies. If the one pack of cookies that's made in a nut-free factory isn't in stock, I *don't* get another option. Not gonna throw a tantrum if that happens, but I'll definitely ask.

Felinoid
Mar 8, 2009

Marginally better than Shepard's dancing. 2/10
Re: can't find things even with directions. Remember that you're in this store day in, day out, for weeks or months or years. While the specifics may not be familiar, the layout definitely is. When someone goes to the grocery store it's probably the first time they've been there in weeks, or perhaps ever. It's foreign ground to them. (To say nothing of the automatic bias that you don't see/remember the people who don't have problems because they simply go about their business and don't bother you.)

I go to Menard's for house/car/whatever tools once in a blue moon. I try to look around for myself, but if someone sees me looking lost and comes up to ask me if I need help, sometimes even with their precise directions I feel like I'm going the wrong way for most of it and then still end up searching for five minutes in the area I was directed to. It's not because I'm dumb, or blind, but because I have to look at everything in the area to try to find what I'm looking for, because not only do I not know where what I'm looking for is, I also can't know what all the other stuff around it is to disregard it until I look. Because I don't really know the store. At all. Now for myself, I see it as a matter of persistence and care, but for others, who may be distracted that day, or in a hurry, or whatever else, they can subconsciously choose to disregard things before even looking at them after a certain period of time based on previous failure to find a thing, and end up walking straight past what they were looking for while in that mindset. It's a very human mistake.

This basically leads me to two points:
1. If you'll pardon the pontificating, the most important lesson of humanity is that nobody else is you. Putting yourself in other people's shoes isn't just a good idea, it's basically mandatory to understand all the random interactions everyone has on a daily basis. Most of those stories were probably unusually bad days for those people too.
2. I've found that the best way to ask for help is while looking embarrassed. Now that just comes naturally to me because I don't like needing to ask for help from strangers, but I've found that people are a lot more willing to help you if you look like you really need it, rather than simply want it (or loudly demand it).

EDIT: This being said, there are definitely exceptions. People arrogant enough to think that the world exists simply to service them do exist. The lady who missed the carts on the way in may have been one such, or she may have had cataracts and couldn't see for poo poo, or she may have been thinking about something else while walking into the store and by the time she looked around for carts she was well past them. One can never know.

Felinoid fucked around with this message at 19:12 on Mar 29, 2017

Warmal
Aug 12, 2011

These are all fine points. And i can not claim what people may or may not deal with that might make any interaction or search difficult. Aside from a three second story of, "this happened go me." I dont hold any thought or resentment to those people. The ones that truly cause problems are the self entitled people.

Or the ones that get pissed off at me the 15 year old about issues they have with corporate. Or the "i didnt look" response i got a lot of the time.

Ometeotl
Feb 13, 2012

It's MISSEL! Or SISSLE!
I confused myself...

I get asked where the bathroom is daily. It is no more than 15 feet to my right with a large sign hanging from the ceiling that says "Restrooms".

People are dumb.

Edvarius
Aug 23, 2013
I can't really blame people who are asking for directions in the grocery store I work at right now, as we're nearing the end of building an expansion and so everything is getting moved. Like, half the time we don't even know where things are anymore. Our meat is literally on the opposite side of the store from where it was two days ago.

Still get annoyed at the people who expect me to be able to fix everything now. Or earlier today when I had a customer complain that she was getting a flea collar at only 50% off rather than 25% because she misread our sign.

Callifornia2
Oct 16, 2014

Edvarius posted:

I can't really blame people who are asking for directions in the grocery store I work at right now, as we're nearing the end of building an expansion and so everything is getting moved. Like, half the time we don't even know where things are anymore. Our meat is literally on the opposite side of the store from where it was two days ago.

Still get annoyed at the people who expect me to be able to fix everything now. Or earlier today when I had a customer complain that she was getting a flea collar at only 50% off rather than 25% because she misread our sign.

I think the thing is that there are reasonable moments in retail and non reasonable moments. I can understand people getting lost in my department because we just rearranged my department which is two shelves. I can understand that. It's the people that come to me and I know you've been here before because I have a good memory for people who I see often in this place and I know you know where seafood is but you still ask me anyway like the big lobster sign was not a clue as in to which direction you should go. Or the people that come to me and ask if we carry a thing and I know we don't have it but they look at me as if I'm hiding it from them. I'm usually happy to help people until they give me the look of "You don't have what i asked for so somehow it is your fault for not carrying this thing."

I love people that misread signs and then I explain it to them. I don't blame people for this in my department since the signs can be misleading if you don't read them carefully but then when I explain it a lot of people act like it is somehow my fault that the sign says what it does. I did not write the sign I printed it. I just print them and put them out. If I could I would give everything for free I would but that is not within my power.

jivjov
Sep 13, 2007

But how does it taste? Yummy!
Dinosaur Gum
The worst is when a customer doesn't like what you have to say, so they go and find some higher up manager and they come back and just hand out free poo poo or do whatever to make the customer happy...all of which makes you seem like the rear end in a top hat for not having done that first.

Tofu Survivor
Nov 4, 2011

Contrary to popular belief, soy is not an effective zombie deterrent.

jivjov posted:

The worst is when a customer doesn't like what you have to say, so they go and find some higher up manager and they come back and just hand out free poo poo or do whatever to make the customer happy...all of which makes you seem like the rear end in a top hat for not having done that first.
Yeah I had a guy get all bent out of shape last week because I told him we didn't have freezer paper. When I tell him it's not something we've ever had at our location he gave me the old "my wife bought it here before" excuse. I've been working at my store for nearly a decade and I know it top to bottom and even my coworkers defer to me on item location. After showing the guy what I did have for a selection and apologizing I went out to salt the walkway by the door. When I came back in, the meat cutter was hunting for me because the guy didn't like my answer and went looking for someone 20 years older because I suppose he expected the answer to change. He wasn't too happy when the meat cutter showed up with me in tow.

Luckily I live/work in a small town of about 2,000 so I don't get many of the truly obnoxious people I hear retail horror stories about. But they exist out here too.

berenzen
Jan 23, 2012

I work in a 1-hour photo lab, and boy have I had some lovely experiences. I've had photos physically thrown at my face on more than one occasion and endless amounts of bitching from people wanting their hundreds of photos that they just ordered(a 30-60 minute job usually) in the next 10 minutes, when I was supposed to go home a half-hour previous.

Also people not realizing scale of price. Yes, when you order 4000+ images at 29c an image, it does cost 1200 dollars. If you look on your claim slip, it does tell you how much it's going to cost.

Warmal
Aug 12, 2011

I work in a print shop now so I can relate to that a lot. Especially for large prints. Yes, if you get a 4x8 foot banner it's going to cost a ton and takes more than a minute to print.

Warmal
Aug 12, 2011

So looking at the length of the Mini-Game Island, it would be a really long video. Probably even longer than a whole board. I'd like to know if anyone would prefer it being a single long video, or break it down into two smaller chunks for quicker viewing.

Senerio
Oct 19, 2009

Roëmænce is ælive!
I like longer videos for podcast style lps like this one where I can just toss it on in the background and look in when something notable happens.

Samovar
Jun 4, 2011

I'm not really fashed one way or the other. Whatever's easier for you.

get that OUT of my face
Feb 10, 2007

I say split it up, though I'm cool with whatever.

Jobbo_Fett
Mar 7, 2014

Slava Ukrayini

Clapping Larry
Its just minigame island, I say one vid! (Maybe cut excessive retries?)

PhazonLink
Jul 17, 2010
One long video implies you think you can finish it in one setting.

I seem to recall childhood rage quitting, but who knows surely two adults playing a game for children can make it through without farming lives/savescumming.

Glazius
Jul 22, 2007

Hail all those who are able,
any mouse can,
any mouse will,
but the Guard prevail.

Clapping Larry
I'm in favor of making one big video out of minigames. Regular boards have a natural stopping point for discussion and blind speculation. I dunno that mini-games will have enough to talk about to keep the thread interested -- I think that's what you'd have to make the call on.

Also because there is no goddamn good reason for anyone to go hungry in the year of our Lord 2017, the Bill Emerson Good Samaritan Act of 1996 removes any liability for harm caused by good-faith donations and remains on the books.

At least until somebody decides to repeal it because the poors should suffer it's not cost-effective.

Glazius fucked around with this message at 03:17 on Apr 5, 2017

Warmal
Aug 12, 2011

Jobbo_Fett posted:

Its just minigame island, I say one vid! (Maybe cut excessive retries?)

You say that like I have a video editor that allows me to edit without completely destroying the video.

So now we go to war! Not, Calli and I. It's just the new board. Update is: We have not gotten a divorce yet.

Wario's Battle Canyon Part 1

This may be my least favourite of the main six boards. We talk about it a lot. But just the random landing points kind of make it a little intolerable.

But now that we have 10 Turns. Everyone can now Bet on who is going to win!

Senerio
Oct 19, 2009

Roëmænce is ælive!
Random bet today on Peach. 17 Coins.

Zanzibar Ham
Mar 17, 2009

Grimey Drawer
He has no style,
he has no grace.
But this board
he's gonna ace!

D-K, Donkey Kong

CirclMastr
Jul 4, 2010

DK

Bruceski
Aug 21, 2007

DK

get that OUT of my face
Feb 10, 2007

I think Yoshi wins the day yet again.

Warmal
Aug 12, 2011

Thank you for having some faith in me. Though, I understand where everyone is coming from on voting for the great ape DK.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Zanzibar Ham
Mar 17, 2009

Grimey Drawer
I actually think DK does a really poor showing by the end of most Mario Party playthroughs I've seen, but I gotta believe!

• Locked thread