Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Saalkin
Jun 29, 2008

Hot danger hot danger

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

stealie72
Jan 10, 2007

Their eyes locked and suddenly there was the sound of breaking glass.
\

Impossibly Perfect Sphere posted:

How the hell are they gonna have KoTH without Dale, Khan and Luanne???
And to a lesser extent, Lucky.

Impossibly Perfect Sphere
Nov 6, 2002

They wasted Luanne on Lucky!

She could of have been so much more but the writers just didn't care!

stealie72 posted:

Honestly, it's addition by subtraction with Lucky.

That character got way too much screen time.

Milo and POTUS
Sep 3, 2017

I will not shut up about the Mighty Morphin Power Rangers. I talk about them all the time and work them into every conversation I have. I built a shrine in my room for the yellow one who died because sadly no one noticed because she died around 9/11. Wanna see it?
Bad opinion

Another Bill
Sep 27, 2018

Born on the bayou
died in a cave
bbq and posting
is all I crave

Nov 6, 2002

He's a one note moron who added "wacky hijinks" to the later seasons of the show and helped ruin an established character's development.

stealie72
Jan 10, 2007

Their eyes locked and suddenly there was the sound of breaking glass.
\
Not exactly a lucky fan myself, but he did set up some quality moments, like Trace Adkins smashing a store window to get the new Trace Adkins album.

Edit: But he's still definitely a Cousin Oliver.

Hihohe
Oct 4, 2008

Fuck you and the sun you live under

He's a one note moron who added "wacky hijinks" to the later seasons of the show and helped ruin an established character's development.
\/
q

Saalkin
Jun 29, 2008

bobjr
Oct 16, 2012

Roose is loose.
🐓🐓🐓✊🪧

Lucky I think got better over time but his early plots with Luanne weren’t the best where she basically became a hang on character to him.

Another Bill
Sep 27, 2018

Born on the bayou
died in a cave
bbq and posting
is all I crave

Without Lucky and Luanne, those last 3-4 seasons would be pretty rough narrative momentum wise.

Also, his whole character is Tom Petty if he'd never become famous, which I love.

Bismack Billabongo
Oct 9, 2012

Wet
He has his moments but it did suck to see what happened to Luanne as a result. But if you want to look at the show with a critical eye (lol if you do this) she is probably the most underserved character in the entire series

pixaal
Jan 8, 2004

All ice cream is now for all beings, no matter how many legs.

She lost her key trait of being able to fix cars well before that. In an alternate timeline she marries a race car driver and is in the pit crew.

The Moon Monster
Dec 30, 2005

Did any of Luanne's character development other than "in a relationship with Lucky" ever really have any staying power, though? It feels like they tried several things but always ended up regressing to her initial state. I guess she stopped being Buckley's girlfriend, but Buckley barely existed to begin with.

Fishstick
Jul 9, 2005

Does not require preheating

The Moon Monster posted:

Did any of Luanne's character development other than "in a relationship with Lucky" ever really have any staying power, though? It feels like they tried several things but always ended up regressing to her initial state. I guess she stopped being Buckley's girlfriend, but Buckley barely existed to begin with.

Do manger babies count as character development?

Nov 6, 2002

The Moon Monster posted:

we'll never know because they didn't bother writing any

Milo and POTUS
Sep 3, 2017

I will not shut up about the Mighty Morphin Power Rangers. I talk about them all the time and work them into every conversation I have. I built a shrine in my room for the yellow one who died because sadly no one noticed because she died around 9/11. Wanna see it?
Buckley owned, it'd be funny if he came back.

Again I mean

Ches Neckbeard
Dec 3, 2005

You're all garbage, back up the truck BACK IT UP!
Sometimes the world is cruel to shiney things

The Bible
May 8, 2010

Luanne was really beginning to thrive. She overcame her lovely parents, became more independent, discovered some unique skills, then threw it all away on some white trash clown.

While a very depressing character arc, it is still quite realistic.

The Bible fucked around with this message at 22:19 on Apr 17, 2024

Punkinhead
Apr 2, 2015

Lucky rules, he's always learning and even sacrificing his well-being for his loved ones.
  • When he sees Bobby would truly appreciate a fresh chip off the line so he injures himself just to help Bobby run down that dream.
  • When he's willing to go to jail so Luannes dad won't have to.
  • When he can sue Dale/Strickland to support Luanne and himself, but Hank tells him that's wrong so Lucky hurts himself swinging that golf club to "prove" his back isn't actually injured.
  • When he gave up stumping because he realized he didn't need anything else as long as he had Luanne
  • When he sees his garbage laid out before him and he realizes he has so much to be grateful for and shouldn't be so upset about having to pay for garbage pickup

When the show starts he just the pee-pee settlement guy with the big truck. By the end he has a family and his own house in the neighborhood.

pixaal
Jan 8, 2004

All ice cream is now for all beings, no matter how many legs.

I feel like Luanne would have just gotten less screen time without Lucky sadly. They don't seem to ever be happy with her direction.

John Wick of Dogs
Mar 4, 2017

A real hellraiser

Unlike the other characters Lucky doesn't feel like he ever is just supporting in an episode. Whenever he's there it becomes "Well I guess this is a Lucky episode" for at least the B plot if not the A plot.

Nov 6, 2002

He has bigtime Poochy energy.

Jimbone Tallshanks
Dec 16, 2005

You can't pull rank on murder.

stealie72 posted:

And to a slightly lesser extent, Officer Brown.

Milo and POTUS
Sep 3, 2017

He has bigtime Poochy energy.

Don't sign your posts in the third person

Ornery and Hornery
Oct 22, 2020

Punkinhead posted:

When the show starts he just the pee-pee settlement guy with the big truck. By the end he has a family and his own house in the neighborhood.

He has the worst house on the block, but from an investor’s standpoint that’s the best place to be.

Kalli
Jun 2, 2001

Peggy was right to sabotage Lucky, and everyone would've been better off if she succeeded.

Hihohe
Oct 4, 2008

Fuck you and the sun you live under

Kalli posted:

Peggy was right to sabotage Lucky, and everyone would've been better off if she succeeded.

You shut your mouth.

Now we are going to sit here, and pray.

Nov 6, 2002

I'm actually a Costco employee and we are all required to hate Lucky.

Fishstick
Jul 9, 2005

Does not require preheating
Pee-pee money is not an employment history

bobjr
Oct 16, 2012

Roose is loose.
🐓🐓🐓✊🪧

I like how the amount of money he won in the settlement wouldn’t be enough to buy most trucks today.

Star Man
Jun 1, 2008

There's a star maaaaaan
Over the rainbow
I think my favorite Lucky lone is: "Were you on the state oil rig or the federal oil rig?"

Raskolnikov38
Mar 3, 2007

We were somewhere around Manila when the drugs began to take hold
cigarette math is full of surprises

The Bible
May 8, 2010

Kalli posted:

What she did was wrong, but her comments about how Lucky will only drag Luanne down were dead on and her getting pregnant ruined all the potential she had built up before then.

As Peggy said when Lucky first showed up, Luanne is genetically drawn back to the trailer park.

wesleywillis
Dec 30, 2016

SUCK A MALE CAMEL'S DICK WITH MIRACLE WHIP!!

bobjr posted:

I like how the amount of money he won in the settlement wouldn’t be enough to buy most trucks today.

Even if you could buy a new truck with that money, it wouldn't have jack under the hood.

The Bible
May 8, 2010

wesleywillis posted:

Even if you could buy a new truck with that money, it wouldn't have jack under the hood.

It'll be shiny, though.

Another Bill
Sep 27, 2018

Born on the bayou
died in a cave
bbq and posting
is all I crave

Lucky was 100% a catch compared to every other guy Luanne dated on the show. He had a code

SettingSun
Aug 10, 2013

Tom Petty can do no wrong and will be missed.

Big fan of his quest for The Stump

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Exploration is ill-advised.

Another Bill posted:

Lucky was 100% a catch compared to every other guy Luanne dated on the show. He had a code

Not saying much probably, but does seem like a best case scenario for someone with incurably awful taste in men. See Cotton's wife.

I can see them being genuinely supportive of their kid who inexplicably turns out to be brilliant.