Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
poty
Jun 21, 2008

虹はどこで終わるのですか? あなたの魂の中で、または地平線で?

im the last result but only the title

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Maximum Leader
Dec 5, 2014

fart simpson posted:

i just listened to the new joe rogan podcast with alex jones and it was a v entertaining 4 hours imo

me too it was great

Cocoa Crispies
Jul 20, 2001

Vehicular Manslaughter!

Pillbug

poty posted:

im the last result but only the title

Stymie
Jan 9, 2001

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN

H.P. Hovercraft posted:

also i need a good podcast app

the stock ios one thinks it's hot poo poo in a champagne glass when it's actually cold diarrhea in a dixie cup

correct you should use music.app just as long as you haven't foolishly upgraded past ios 5

SmokaDustbowl
Feb 12, 2001

by vyelkin
Fun Shoe

lol gently caress that

power botton
Nov 2, 2011

4 weebs and a funeral

Arcsech
Aug 5, 2008

H.P. Hovercraft posted:

isn't the hardcore history guy a hardcore libertarian

he's kinda libertarian in that he's all about civil liberties and restricting the power of the executive branch but also he's super against money in politics and for a constitutional amendment overturning citizens united so

definitely not like a gold-fringe anarcho-capitalist nutbag type libertarian at least

DR FRASIER KRANG
Feb 4, 2005
Probation
Can't post for 4 hours!
Aukerman started pitching "dirty lemon water skin and hair" for an ad spot and I couldn't tell if it was a real product or not. Jesus.

MeruFM
Jul 27, 2010
i listen to on the media and the moth. Regularly before, but now I just check the RSS for an interesting one before listening.

used to be more into general humor or gaming podcasts but most seem to be a few white guys talking about extremely white stuff, which wears after a couple years because it's the same material over and over, like reading an old internet forum or something

Stymie
Jan 9, 2001

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN
i just started listening to the first episode of the adventure zone and i'm already having a problem because i seriously disagree with griffin's philosophy of rpg gameplay and they're playing 5e

Cocoa Crispies
Jul 20, 2001

Vehicular Manslaughter!

Pillbug

Stymie posted:

i just started listening to the first episode of the adventure zone and i'm already having a problem because i seriously disagree with griffin's philosophy of rpg gameplay and they're playing 5e

huh weird that someone incapable of joy or empathy would have that issue

atomicthumbs
Dec 26, 2010

We're in the business of extending man's senses.

Stymie posted:

gee it's almost like they're trying to tell a story to make a good podcast instead of rules lawyering their way through three hours at a time

someone plays a game differently from you to have fun, and that's okay

duTrieux.
Oct 9, 2003

Stymie posted:

every now and then there's an episode where they do haracter management, maybe that's more your speed

FCKGW
May 21, 2006

I listen to a 60gb torrent of loveline to fall asleep

A Pinball Wizard
Mar 23, 2005

I know every trick, no freak's gonna beat my hands

College Slice

Stymie posted:

stymie I would like to hear about how you would manage this campaign, and what you would do differently.

Stymie
Jan 9, 2001

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN
basically reducing an rpg to playing mother-may-i with the dm is horseshit and gets in the way of collaborative storytelling and griffin is objectively wrong about how 4e plays

giving all character classes interesting and effective abilities at all levels of play isn't "making everyone a wizard" just like how allowing everyone to make stealth checks isn't "making everyone a rogue" and believing having those abilities somehow hampers roleplaying is a failure of imagination not mechanics

bump_fn
Apr 12, 2004

two of them
....not!

A Pinball Wizard
Mar 23, 2005

College Slice

Stymie posted:

basically reducing an rpg to playing mother-may-i with the dm is horseshit and gets in the way of collaborative storytelling and griffin is objectively wrong about how 4e plays

giving all character classes interesting and effective abilities at all levels of play isn't "making everyone a wizard" just like how allowing everyone to make stealth checks isn't "making everyone a rogue" and believing having those abilities somehow hampers roleplaying is a failure of imagination not mechanics

Ah my bad I thought you had legit criticism

For real though, it's not like they just call out what they want to do, they just skip the more time intensive inventory management/movement tracking/time tracking stuff in favor of "let's get to the story part where your guys do cool poo poo" part, roll a strength check to see if you rip that robots arms off

Stymie
Jan 9, 2001

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN

A Pinball Wizard posted:

Ah my bad I thought you had legit criticism

For real though, it's not like they just call out what they want to do, they just skip the more time intensive inventory management/movement tracking/time tracking stuff in favor of "let's get to the story part where your guys do cool poo poo" part, roll a strength check to see if you rip that robots arms off

yes and the point is 4e wouldn't alter this in any way, it's just as effective at allowing freeform roleplaying

this idea springs from rules lawyering that you must be hidebound to follow precisely what the rulebooks say and since the 5e rulebooks don't say jack poo poo beyond "ask your dm if you can do a thing" it's popular among unimaginative types

MeruFM
Jul 27, 2010
what a bunch of nerds

my homie dhall
Dec 9, 2010

honey, oh please, it's just a machine
are there any good software podcasts that aren't se-radio? the hosts are so weird on that one

fritz
Jul 26, 2003

Ploft-shell crab posted:

are there any good software podcasts that aren't se-radio? the hosts are so weird on that one

i like embedded.fm (but the last few eps have been kind of eh)

Stymie
Jan 9, 2001

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN

A Pinball Wizard posted:

they just skip the more time intensive inventory management/movement tracking/time tracking stuff in favor of "let's get to the story part where your guys do cool poo poo" part, roll a strength check to see if you rip that robots arms off

thus far getting to the story where the guys do cool poo poo part has involved them saying they want to do a thing and griffin telling them no while he continues talking

Sweevo
Nov 8, 2007

i sometimes throw cables away

i mean straight into the bin without spending 10+ years in the box of might-come-in-handy-someday first

im a fucking monster

fritz posted:

embedded.fm

is that the one with the woman who talks like a 5 year old?

A Pinball Wizard
Mar 23, 2005

College Slice

Stymie posted:

thus far getting to the story where the guys do cool poo poo part has involved them saying they want to do a thing and griffin telling them no while he continues talking

yeah first couple episodes are rough. it gets better as they go on. I know you're not the type to sit through hours of content because someone says it gets better later, so maybe it's not for you :)

Stymie
Jan 9, 2001

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN
sounds like it's not for anybody, but i understand folks aren't particularly discerning

fritz
Jul 26, 2003

Sweevo posted:

is that the one with the woman who talks like a 5 year old?

her voice is a little high but you get used to it pretty quick

fritz
Jul 26, 2003

re: adventure zone the fanbase has gone all out with the fanart, give this a spin https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=O95acXiwt4k and if that doesn;'t do it for you it's just not for you

A Pinball Wizard
Mar 23, 2005

College Slice
ehhh I don't really like the fanart, I had my own ideas of what the characters looked like already and none of it jives with the accepted fan character designs (that scene is great though animated or not)

this is mbmbam not adventure zone but it's still my favorite fan animation

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yb3kaAd8k3o

Stymie
Jan 9, 2001

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN
i gave things a chance and listened to another episode and it seems to be everyone finds them funny because they constantly laugh at their own jokes

like raucously, uproariously laugh at stuff that doesn't really warrant it

is that the key here? like, autistics hear them laugh and think they're funny because they're laughing? if so, you oughta check out this hysterical show called car talk

atomicthumbs
Dec 26, 2010

Stymie posted:

*medieval knight points his finger at someone and heals them for no reason in particular*

Stymie posted:

is that the key here? like, autistics hear them laugh and think they're funny because they're laughing? if so, you oughta check out this hysterical show called car talk

Please don't be ableist, Stymie. It's not kind.

atomicthumbs
Dec 26, 2010

thinkin about this again and literally the only people i've heard of who have listened to the adventure zone and don't like it are people who complain that "they're playing the game wrong!" on a pod cast

Stymie
Jan 9, 2001

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN
i kept listening and they loosened up on the super-strict d&d which is fine, it's just really lame when people laugh (and laugh uproariously) at their own jokes

Silver Alicorn
Mar 30, 2008

𝓪 𝓻𝓮𝓭 𝓹𝓪𝓷𝓭𝓪 𝓲𝓼 𝓪 𝓬𝓾𝓻𝓲𝓸𝓾𝓼 𝓼𝓸𝓻𝓽 𝓸𝓯 𝓬𝓻𝓮𝓪𝓽𝓾𝓻𝓮
important if True was really funny this week, but also probably really impenetrable for non-fans

bump_fn
Apr 12, 2004

two of them
I wanna see stymie listen to something with pft

Wrath of the Bitch King
May 11, 2005

Research confirms that black is a color like silver is a color, and that beyond black is clarity.
stymie please run a 5e campaign where anyone at the inn that eats more than an ounce of food is encumbered for the rest of the session

atomicthumbs
Dec 26, 2010

Stymie posted:

i kept listening and they loosened up on the super-strict d&d which is fine, it's just really lame when people laugh (and laugh uproariously) at their own jokes

I know some people have trouble telling Travis and Justin apart so I thought I might let you know that there are four people on the pod cast

atomicthumbs
Dec 26, 2010

Wrath of the Bitch King posted:

stymie please run a 5e campaign where anyone at the inn that eats more than an ounce of food is encumbered for the rest of the session

Analytic Engine
May 18, 2009

not the analytical engine

bump_fn posted:

I wanna see stymie listen to something with pft

Of course PFT should laugh at his own jokes, he's a master comedian and we were laughing anyway. It's a different situation.

Other podcast hosts are either unfunny tryhards or obnoxious public radio gigglers. They haven't earned the right to laugh that much and it ruins most podcasts. Do they talk like that in real life?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

DR FRASIER KRANG
Feb 4, 2005
Probation
Can't post for 4 hours!
PFT is a loving saint.

• Locked thread