Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Z3n
Jul 21, 2007

I think the point is Z3n is a space cowboy on the edge of a frontier unknown to man, he's out there pushing the limits, trail braking into the abyss. Finding out where the edge of the razor is, turning to face the darkness and revving his 690 into it's vast gaze. You gotta live this to learn it bro.
Nah the euro announcers got it wrong too.

but all the 46 tryhards who can't go to sleep without imagining themselves riding the gentle motion of his slender manhood will lose their poo poo over it

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

builds character
Jan 16, 2008

Keep at it.
So first, I don't think it matters at all. I read afterward that race direction said he got the penalty for going off track and gaining an advantage. It just seems to me that if someone else knocks you off track and you gain a teeny tiny advantage that it's dumb to make any changes. It's a different story if you're in the last lap and it happens on the last corner and you run through the gravel to win, maybe there you should think about a penalty?
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Og9cxXjbs6M

Or if you run wide and just go straight through the runoff back onto the track (losing ground but losing way less than you might have otherwise), maybe that deserves a penalty?
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1j8dI5gztvk

I don't think it actually matters and I suppose that's the rule, it just seems silly to me given how it looks like they've handled things in the past. But maybe there are some other rules at play I'm missing.

Rev. Dr. Moses P. Lester
Oct 3, 2000
I have to say that Rossi's penalty last year for deliberately blowing the corner and pushing Marky off the track was totally deserved. loving depressing though, I think it basically cost him the championship.

Slavvy
Dec 11, 2012

I suspect most people who disagree with the penalty aren't diehard 46ers but rather are afraid of the racing getting too rulesy and f1-like and micro penalties for micro infractions are the start of that slippery slope.

harperdc
Jul 24, 2007

Slavvy posted:

I suspect most people who disagree with the penalty aren't diehard 46ers but rather are afraid of the racing getting too rulesy and f1-like and micro penalties for micro infractions are the start of that slippery slope.

Not for me. It was presented as a penalty on the world feed, I don't think it should've been. I don't even really think it should be a time adjustment either but that's me. Fortunately, it didn't impact any final positions in the race. That's what we can all find common ground on IMO.

algebra testes
Mar 5, 2011

Lipstick Apathy
Old Valentino would have just jumped the start and then won by a margin greater than the time penalty

Skreemer
Jan 28, 2006
I like blue.
Tough luck for Davies this week at Assen. Even with Rea getting penalized, he still couldn't turn it into a win. Though in race one it was the bike suddenly losing power under Davies versus a fault of his own. Heart breaker as it was shaping up to be a bit of a fight on the last lap when the Ducati gave up. Race two was back to status quo Rea out front and everyone else fighting for what was left. Good job on Van Der Mark pulling off a fourth place with his teammate Lowes right behind him. They haven't been going the greatest and it was a good sniff at the podium for that team.

In the Wolrd SuperSport, I don't think that the bike and Jacobsen are coming together at all. It looks like he can gide the heck out of the thing, but either he or the bike just doesn't have that extra bit to be truly competitive.

In the 300 super sport class, if you watch only one race of this class, watch the Assen round. They had Scott Redding in the booth with the commentators talking about how crazy things were getting on the track. Ana Carrasco Pulled into the lead too early, she had the moves and the bike to stay out front for two laps but in the slow corners everyone was getting swallowed up by the pack hounding the leaders. People were coming from eighth and getting into the lead. Sanchez on the number 25 machine should be penalized for continuously going beyond the track boundaries and making up places. He did got one penalty and "had to drop two places" but there were so many lead and place swaps after two laps, nothing more was heard of it except "they'll look into it later." I can see the argument for racing incidents pushing him off line but he was doing it when he had clear space too.

Slavvy
Dec 11, 2012

Been thinking about penalty chat w.r.t. exceeding track limits ala Rossi. We have transponders on all the bikes and standardised electronics. Why can't they set up a GPS nerf-zone of some kind? Stray further than a meter beyond the track limit and your pit limiter kicks in.

Dirt Road Junglist
Oct 8, 2010

We will be cruel
And through our cruelty
They will know who we are

Slavvy posted:

Been thinking about penalty chat w.r.t. exceeding track limits ala Rossi. We have transponders on all the bikes and standardised electronics. Why can't they set up a GPS nerf-zone of some kind? Stray further than a meter beyond the track limit and your pit limiter kicks in.

I think that's been proposed in other racing series, like having the Virtual Safety Car speed limiter kick in if an F1 car goes out of bounds. The problem is that taking throttle control away from the driver could be a huge safety issue, especially if the run-off isn't grippy tarmac.

Maybe they need to make the surface of the run-off something that slows vehicles down, like a squishy polymer that bogs the tires like mud without sticking to them. That's gotta be a huge technical undertaking, tho...

Slavvy
Dec 11, 2012

Well if the run-off isn't grippy tarmac, you don't need to cut their power because they're already in the gravel/grass and have bigger poo poo to deal with. Seems like limiting throttle opening or revs would be pretty straightforward from a hardware standpoint and would still let them cruise along without abruptly losing everything, yet still making track shortcuts non-profitable.

What you're describing is what I initially thought of which is what sent me down this track, you don't need anything physically boggy if you just slow the bike down. You'd prevent racing incidents by allowing a metre-wide safety margin with a yellow line showing the limit. If we can have self-driving cars that don't immediately kill people, I would think the engineering involved in implementing something like this in a controlled environment where every parameter is known and easy to define would be trivial. Take away seamless trans and make the teams all contribute one season's rental of those things and it'd pay for itself.

Slavvy fucked around with this message at 21:57 on May 2, 2017

AncientTV
Jun 1, 2006

for sale custom bike over a billion invested

College Slice
Was it F1 or MotoGP where there've been instances of the vehicle not knowing what corner it's on w/r/t suspension/power settings? It'd be pretty dangerous for that to happen with some kind of off-track speed limiter. A bike in front of a pack suddenly slows down in the racing line and gets rear end packed by everyone else still pinning it.

algebra testes
Mar 5, 2011

Lipstick Apathy
I mean 20 years ago either Berger or Alesi crashed exiting the pits because the computer didn't know where they were on the track and the active suspension was at the wrong ride height and it bottomed out.

E: Berger

https://youtu.be/R_jmnBiFwKw

AncientTV
Jun 1, 2006

College Slice
Yeah I tried to search for what I was thinking of but I guess it wasn't anything recent

algebra testes
Mar 5, 2011

Lipstick Apathy
You clearly arent enough of a old, bitter lapsed "F1 has been bad since the late 90s" loser like me.

nsaP
May 4, 2004

alright?

AncientTV posted:

Yeah I tried to search for what I was thinking of but I guess it wasn't anything recent

The bike has gotten lost on Hayden and Crutchlow just off the top of my head

Dirt Road Junglist
Oct 8, 2010

We will be cruel
And through our cruelty

nsaP posted:

The bike has gotten lost on Hayden and Crutchlow just off the top of my head

Yup, happened to Crutchlow...last year? Year before? I want to say the bike lost track of where the transponder loops started, so it was loading the wrong maps for the corners.

AncientTV
Jun 1, 2006

College Slice
Aha, vindication. So yeah, that, but with getting auto-braked would be no bueno.

Slavvy
Dec 11, 2012

The sector thing is based on transponders, I'm talking about GPS which is a lot more accurate and therefore banned for engine mapping. And I'm not talking auto braking, I'm just suggesting you lose the last quarter throttle or something. It's entirely feasible to do this in a smooth way that doesn't abruptly chop the power but ok.

This type of thinking is why we'll end up with bullshit micro penalties everywhere instead of looking for more effective solutions to a pretty simple problem.

builds character
Jan 16, 2008

Keep at it.
Is this really a problem though? Seems like to the extent it is it's been handled and I suspect Dorna won't want to spend money on fixing something that ain't broke (and gives race direction more discretionary control).

Slavvy
Dec 11, 2012

It's enough of a problem that one of the tracks (misano?) has special red plating outside of the normal rumble strip on the exit of one corner because they keep breaking the track limit and penalties are handed out tennis-style for going past the line. Moto3 had a really bad run last year where a good half-dozen riders were penalised for exceeding limits.

nsaP
May 4, 2004

alright?
GPS isn't accurate to the meter. More like 3 or 4 in the best conditions. Something built into the track would make more sense. Or maybe just use that glue in rat traps

algebra testes
Mar 5, 2011

Lipstick Apathy
There was one great case where Donnington repaved the track and placed the ripple strips at the wrong places.

Slavvy
Dec 11, 2012

nsaP posted:

GPS isn't accurate to the meter. More like 3 or 4 in the best conditions.

Genuinely wasn't aware of this, if that's the case why is it banned for engine mapping purposes corner-by-corner?

500excf type r
Mar 7, 2013

I'm as annoying as the high-pitched whine of my motorcycle, desperately compensating for the lack of substance in my life.

builds character posted:

Is this really a problem though? Seems like to the extent it is it's been handled and I suspect Dorna won't want to spend money on fixing something that ain't broke (and gives race direction more discretionary control).

nsaP posted:

GPS isn't accurate to the meter. More like 3 or 4 in the best conditions. Something built into the track would make more sense. Or maybe just use that glue in rat traps

I was gonna respond to this last night or w/e and this was the gist of it. GPS doesnt have the resolution to do what you want and what are you actaully trying to accomplish that current techniques dont already care of

500excf type r
Mar 7, 2013

I'm as annoying as the high-pitched whine of my motorcycle, desperately compensating for the lack of substance in my life.
like with respect to your idea it wouyld probably be easier and cheaper to have 22 or w/e people watching individual screens of every rider and pressing a button to limit the engine when their rider goes beyond your set 1 meter limit

Slavvy
Dec 11, 2012

Trying to accomplish? I guess I want to prevent the vortex of bullshit opened up with retroactive penalties that are always going to be unfair in some way or another.

Your 23 people idea wouldn't work in real time I wouldn't have thought.

nsaP
May 4, 2004

alright?

Slavvy posted:

Genuinely wasn't aware of this, if that's the case why is it banned for engine mapping purposes corner-by-corner?

They used to monitor the corners and would update every sector that the bike went thru. So say you cross the start line, the bike knew the next 6 corners or whatever and would change based on which corner you're in. Can't remember what happened with Cal exactly but I know with Nicky the bike got its sectors confused so he got full gas in turns but might have been limited on the straights.

With the new electronics package everyone has I am not sure if it has changed or not. Some googling might answer that. But the reason they don't use GPS is that it would be more complicated than the current system which works 99% of the time.

nsaP fucked around with this message at 07:09 on May 4, 2017

Fanelien
Nov 23, 2003

Why not fence the track with passive transponders(detection radius approx 10cm) and put a sensor in the bike, when the bike detects it's outside of it's fenced area it gets speed/power limited until it's back within the fenced area.

Edit: also an easy way to enforce the pit lane limits I'd think.

Dubs
Mar 6, 2007

Stroll Own Zone.
Disregard Stroll outside zone.
thats what the last page spoke about

builds character
Jan 16, 2008

Keep at it.

Fanelien posted:

Why not fence the track with passive transponders(detection radius approx 10cm) and put a sensor in the bike, when the bike detects it's outside of it's fenced area it gets speed/power limited until it's back within the fenced area.

Edit: also an easy way to enforce the pit lane limits I'd think.

All these solutions require spending money to fix something that doesn't improve the product (entertainment, not racing) while also removing discretionary control from the governing body so...

nsaP
May 4, 2004

alright?
Yeah I mean, they system I would propose is that if a rider leaves the track they must rejoin at or before the position they were in on track before they went off. If they do not there should be some kind of time penalty, or correction, to account for the time they gained going off.

builds character
Jan 16, 2008

Keep at it.
https://www.facebook.com/deargeorge99/

Slavvy
Dec 11, 2012

I'm not entirely certain what this is but I'm very certain it's fantastic.

E: autocorrect :argh:

Slavvy fucked around with this message at 07:16 on May 5, 2017

Dirt Road Junglist
Oct 8, 2010

We will be cruel
And through our cruelty

I'm in a video meeting, and it's really hard to maintain a poker face while reading that.

I'm taking it on as a personal challenge.

"And we could be in luck. Some kid in Moto2 called Tetsuta Nagashima said you could have whatever his Kalex doesn’t need. I think that’s what he said. He’s Japanese, so he’s very polite but quite hard to understand. So I drew him a picture and he gave me an octopus his girlfriend has sex-fantasies about."

Rev. Dr. Moses P. Lester
Oct 3, 2000
Jorge figured out how to ride the Ducati. Kill me now.

harperdc
Jul 24, 2007

Rev. Dr. Moses P. Lester posted:

Jorge figured out how to ride the Ducati. Kill me now.

Not gonna call it yet. I'd be much more worried if he was the one just strangling the race away from the front.

Slavvy
Dec 11, 2012

Yeah a tyre bingo race on a track he likes fits well with the idea he'll be strong some places and poo poo everywhere else.

Shimrod
Apr 15, 2007

race tires on road are a great idea, ask me!

There was a quote floating around somewhere where he said this track suited his riding style and hid some of the issues of the Ducati.

Was super happy for Dani :)

Chris Knight
Jun 5, 2002

me @ ur posts

Fun Shoe
Ahaha I love Zarco so much.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

nsaP
May 4, 2004

alright?
Jorge will win a race this year. Probably the Red Bull Ring.

• Locked thread