Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Milkfred E. Moore
Aug 27, 2006

'It's easier to imagine the end of the world than the end of capitalism.'
There is something kinda funny about ostensibly writing a story using an RPG system but then you start fudging dice rolls because they're messing up the plot, though.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Stuporstar
May 5, 2008

Where do fists come from?

Milkfred E. Moore posted:

There is something kinda funny about ostensibly writing a story using an RPG system but then you start fudging dice rolls because they're messing up the plot, though.

Does anyone have a link to that old post on TV Tropes where the dude was agonizing having to rewrite how many health potions he gave his protagonist because he didn’t have enough at the end to defeat the big bad and get his “random drop girlfriend”? :allears:

Nae
Sep 3, 2020

what.

Stuporstar posted:

Does anyone have a link to that old post on TV Tropes where the dude was agonizing having to rewrite how many health potions he gave his protagonist because he didn’t have enough at the end to defeat the big bad and get his “random drop girlfriend”? :allears:

Seems like the solution is to say your LitRPG works on Super Mario RPG rules, where if your hero hits 'A' at the exact time he drinks the potion, he gets another for free!

sebmojo
Oct 23, 2010

Legit Cyberpunk

is it railroading if you make your litrpg characters do what you want them to

Nae
Sep 3, 2020

what.

sebmojo posted:

is it railroading if you make your litrpg characters do what you want them to

Now I know why they call grrm George Rail Road Martin

change my name
Aug 27, 2007

Legends die but anime is forever.

RIP The Lost Otakus.

Nae posted:

Now I know why they call grrm George Rail Road Martin

GRR Martin has a team of assistants to keep his worldbuilding straight when he writes because he can't remember the minutiae from past books. Another strike against going whole hog on building thousands of years of mythology before you start writing, in my opinion

Djeser
Mar 22, 2013

it's crow time again

https://twitter.com/scumbelievable/status/1447366032721653761

anime was right
Jun 27, 2008

death is certain
keep yr cool

change my name posted:

GRR Martin has a team of assistants to keep his worldbuilding straight when he writes because he can't remember the minutiae from past books. Another strike against going whole hog on building thousands of years of mythology before you start writing, in my opinion

sanderson does this too, tho i think its like 2 people and a wiki mostly

Nae
Sep 3, 2020

what.

change my name posted:

poo poo, you'd think it'd be easy for him to remember his world history when none of the family trees have any branches

Leng
May 13, 2006

One song / Glory
One song before I go / Glory
One song to leave behind

No other road
No other way
No day but today

anime was right posted:

sanderson does this too, tho i think its like 2 people and a wiki mostly

Peter and Karen Ahlstrom, a husband and wife team who started with him at BYU. Peter works out all of the complicated world building physics questions while Karen is the continuity editor. Both of them maintain the world building wiki, which started life as a 300k word three ring binder that he had handwritten while he was late night clerking on the graveyard shift at a hotel and according to the last publicly given word count (circa ~Jan 2015) has ~400k words in it. The wiki he uses specifically is Wikidpad

I'm not entirely clear whether this is EVERYTHING or just the Cosmere stuff. But he's released a lot of stuff since then so it's probably at like close to ~1m words by now.

Incidentally I got to the point of NaNoWriMo last week where I got fed up with my ~42 page Google Doc and started up my own wiki using TiddlyWiki. It is SOOOOOOOO much easier than using a laggy Google Doc, though I will be screwed when it gets really big. Then again I'm not writing anything as ambitious as the Cosmere so I'll probably be fine.

Stuporstar
May 5, 2008

Leng posted:

Peter and Karen Ahlstrom, a husband and wife team who started with him at BYU. Peter works out all of the complicated world building physics questions while Karen is the continuity editor. Both of them maintain the world building wiki, which started life as a 300k word three ring binder that he had handwritten while he was late night clerking on the graveyard shift at a hotel and according to the last publicly given word count (circa ~Jan 2015) has ~400k words in it. The wiki he uses specifically is Wikidpad

I'm not entirely clear whether this is EVERYTHING or just the Cosmere stuff. But he's released a lot of stuff since then so it's probably at like close to ~1m words by now.

Incidentally I got to the point of NaNoWriMo last week where I got fed up with my ~42 page Google Doc and started up my own wiki using TiddlyWiki. It is SOOOOOOOO much easier than using a laggy Google Doc, though I will be screwed when it gets really big. Then again I'm not writing anything as ambitious as the Cosmere so I'll probably be fine.

I’m gonna need a wiki to contain all my poo poo eventually. Right now it’s spread across several Scrivener projects and spreadsheets. So many spreadsheets :negative:

Dream Weaver
Jan 23, 2007
Sweat Baby, sweat baby

Leng posted:

Uh can you elaborate on the wiki thing and how you used it?

SurreptitiousMuffin
Mar 21, 2010

Stuporstar posted:

This wasn't TVT, was it? Pretty sure it was a creative convention original, dude had been scouting for beta readers in the book barn and I was one of them. It was like a decade ago and now I'm worrying I got a wire crossed or something but I'm like 70% sure it happened entirely over here, and the thread is where "if you want to cast a shadow, move a mountain" comes from.

SurreptitiousMuffin fucked around with this message at 11:06 on Nov 23, 2021

Stuporstar
May 5, 2008

SurreptitiousMuffin posted:

This wasn't TVT, was it? Pretty sure it was a creative convention original, dude had been scouting for beta readers in the book barn and I was one of them. It was like a decade ago and now I'm worrying I got a wire crossed or something but I'm like 70% sure it happened entirely over here, and the thread is where "if you want to cast a shadow, move a mountain" comes from.

That was a dude a bit later who wrote a thing about going to the “items shop” to buy “health potions” (why do I remember details ohgod help me). I remember because I quoted the TVT post at him to go, are you doing this, seriously?

And now RPGLit is a whole drat thing and they’re everywhere :negative:

Leal
Oct 2, 2009
FWIW I remember that scenario and I'm positive it was something brought up in a TVTropes mock thread in the days of old. I tried googling "TVTropes potion dilemma" and instead I got multiple pages about the ethics of giving someone a love potion. I want to say TVTropes has had a page where you got writing advice, either that or it was back when Troper's Tales was still a thing.

D34THROW
Jan 29, 2012

RETAIL RETAIL LISTEN TO ME BITCH ABOUT RETAIL
:rant:

Leal posted:

ethics of giving someone a love potion

What the gently caress, why is that even an ethical question? :stonk:

sebmojo
Oct 23, 2010

Legit Cyberpunk

D34THROW posted:

it's a deep rooted trope. It's like charm person in d&d, which is really a profoundly evil spell if you think about it for a moment.

Staggy
Mar 20, 2008

Said little bitch, you can't fuck with me if you wanted to
These expensive
These is red bottoms
These is bloody shoes

Leal posted:

FWIW I remember that scenario and I'm positive it was something brought up in a TVTropes mock thread in the days of old. I tried googling "TVTropes potion dilemma" and instead I got multiple pages about the ethics of giving someone a love potion. I want to say TVTropes has had a page where you got writing advice, either that or it was back when Troper's Tales was still a thing.

This the one?

"TVTropes - Help Making This Plot Work posted:

So, at the end of Issue One of my current story, the main character has been injured by various fights with Mooks and also a Giant Space Flea from Nowhere. He then gets into a fight with the Big Bad (of issue one). My problem is that the main character doesn't have enough health potions to recover enough health to win this last fight. Furthermore, it's absolutely vital for the plot of future Issues that he win this fight, because he gets his Yandere girlfriend as a Random Drop at the end of the fight, completing the Battle Couple. So how should I fix the discrepancy?

The solutions I've thought of so far are:

Increase the main character's number of starting health potions (but I don't think his family could really afford more, he is impoverished, after all)
Have him find a Deus ex Machina Infinity +1 Sword by random luck (but it'd have to be a one-time-use item or else it'd mess up the battles in future issues!)
Maybe the main character can keep grinding on random Mooks longer and get more health potions first?
Any help is absolutely appreciated; this story is really close to my heart. :)

Looks like several mock threads covered it, e.g. here.

Leal
Oct 2, 2009

Staggy posted:

This the one?

Looks like several mock threads covered it, e.g. here.

Oh my god its even more beautiful than I remember :allears:

change my name
Aug 27, 2007

RIP The Lost Otakus.

D34THROW posted:

There's a reason love potions have been banned from league play in D&D

REMEMBER SPONGE MONKEYS
Oct 3, 2003

What do you think it means, bitch?

change my name posted:

There's a reason love potions have been banned from league play in D&D

“This is why we can’t have nice things”

General Battuta
Feb 7, 2011

This is how you communicate with a fellow intelligence: you hurt it, you keep on hurting it, until you can distinguish the posts from the screams.
Wait how the gently caress is there competitive D&D

General Battuta
Feb 7, 2011

This is how you communicate with a fellow intelligence: you hurt it, you keep on hurting it, until you can distinguish the posts from the screams.
Is this like when someone figured out how to create a character who instantly becomes a maximum divine rank deity the moment the campaign begins? Is that how you 'win' competitive D&D?

change my name
Aug 27, 2007

RIP The Lost Otakus.

General Battuta posted:

It's Adventurer's League, which is running through modules from WotC and keeping your character/items between them. So officially sanctioned group play, not competitive.

sebmojo
Oct 23, 2010

Legit Cyberpunk

General Battuta posted:

:actually: 1st ed tournament modules are ridiculously good fun, you basically get scored on how far you make it before you die, I can recommend running hidden shrine of tamoachan or tomb of horrors as a very entertaining way to spend an evening with ur nerdbuds. 1st ed is almost system free, you just need a few tables and the players handbook for spells.

modern stuff idk, seems a bit silly but no more than pretending to be an elf?

SurreptitiousMuffin
Mar 21, 2010

General Battuta posted:

In older editions it sort of makes sense, but competitive 5e is ridiculous and seems to attract the worst grognards imaginable. They act like it's DOTA or something and if you pick anything except the S-Tier subclasses you're throwing and you're a terrible rear end in a top hat loser and it's like, c'mon man 5e is a kiddy pool, you're not impressing anybody by doing laps super fast.

Sitting Here
Dec 31, 2007

sebmojo posted:

:actually: 1st ed tournament modules are ridiculously good fun, you basically get scored on how far you make it before you die, I can recommend running hidden shrine of tamoachan or tomb of horrors as a very entertaining way to spend an evening with ur nerdbuds. 1st ed is almost system free, you just need a few tables and the players handbook for spells.

modern stuff idk, seems a bit silly but no more than pretending to be an elf?

sebmojo posted:

Post your own thread for this kind of thing, I think

HopperUK
Apr 29, 2007

Why would an ambulance be leaving the hospital?
One time in Thunderdome I got the assignment 'base your story on Tomb of Horrors' - it was lucky, I got the special one - and I had to read the whole thing, never had before. It was fun to write fiction about but I would have imploded trying to run it for a group.

SimonChris
Apr 24, 2008

The Baron's daughter is missing, and you are the man to find her. No problem. With your inexhaustible arsenal of hard-boiled similes, there is nothing you can't handle.
Grimey Drawer
https://www.elegantliterature.com/contest/

I just learned about the Elegant Literature short story contest, and thought I would share it here.

You have 4½ days left to win TWENTY THOUSAND DOLLARS for a 500-2000 word story about descent into darkness. The only caveat is that you can't be a professional writer, but that only applies if you are outright making a living from writing. Even if you don't win, there is still a chance that they will purchase the story for 10 cents / word.

If only I had learned about this earlier... I need time to brainstorm ideas.

Edit: There is a de facto $10 reading fee, but the organizer is offering to cover it if you are too poor to afford it:
https://twitter.com/maxgladstone/status/1462125789269442569

Also, the $10 is actually for a subscription to the magazine and comes with a bunch of discounts for writing tools.

SimonChris fucked around with this message at 12:02 on Nov 26, 2021

General Battuta
Feb 7, 2011

I am unfortunately a Professional Writer and can't apply but I will say that this is an absolutely bonkers opportunity. 20k for a short story is unheard of. And your chances of winning are probably higher than selling a story to Clarkesworld or a similarly competitive market.

SimonChris
Apr 24, 2008

The Baron's daughter is missing, and you are the man to find her. No problem. With your inexhaustible arsenal of hard-boiled similes, there is nothing you can't handle.
Grimey Drawer

General Battuta posted:

I am unfortunately a Professional Writer and can't apply but I will say that this is an absolutely bonkers opportunity. 20k for a short story is unheard of. And your chances of winning are probably higher than selling a story to Clarkesworld or a similarly competitive market.

https://twitter.com/ElegantLit/status/1459975885956820998

I checked their twitter, and apparently last months contest had 178 entries, which makes for a 0.56% chance of winning, pretty close to the Clarkesworld acceptance rate. If you don't win, there is still a 6.8% chance of making a pro-sale.

Also, I guess this is a monthly thing, so they must have found a wealthy short-story enthusiast. I wonder how long they are planning to keep that going.

Junpei
Oct 4, 2015
Probation
Can't post for 11 years!

newts
Oct 10, 2012
“But, like, what’s her motivation for being Asian?”

Milkfred E. Moore
Aug 27, 2006

'It's easier to imagine the end of the world than the end of capitalism.'

Multiple agents have similar sentiments as a required question in their submission forms. Insane poo poo. My response has been similar to that tweet.

Junpei
Oct 4, 2015
Probation
Can't post for 11 years!

Junpei
Oct 4, 2015
Probation
Can't post for 11 years!

Junpei
Oct 4, 2015
Probation
Can't post for 11 years!

REMEMBER SPONGE MONKEYS
Oct 3, 2003

Honestly that makes me feel better :shrug: impostor syndrome, I guess?

can’t be accused if you never actually write! :(

Junpei
Oct 4, 2015
Probation
Can't post for 11 years!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

REMEMBER SPONGE MONKEYS
Oct 3, 2003

I don’t know, isn’t it better to struggle to keep up with your characters (as indicative of effusive ideas for them) than to struggle where to drag them next? I know I’m interpreting a bit, but I’d almost rather too much than too little (yes, I can see how this is ironic and/or fitting).