Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

anime was right
Jun 27, 2008

death is certain
keep yr cool
read

write

keep sucking

suck less

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

anime was right
Jun 27, 2008

death is certain
keep yr cool
so this is a dumb thought i had when struggling with how to write the middle of the story.

typical structures seem more focused on the pacing more than the reasoning which made it hard for me to think about like, what events should be transpiring in the middle, and then this thought came to mind

"the middle contextualizes the ending that your beginning set up" - and i think this did a better job in my head of knowing what to trim and what to grow, personally. i dunno.

whats a good resource on writing middles

anime was right
Jun 27, 2008

death is certain
keep yr cool

SurreptitiousMuffin posted:

People who are ready to go out and create rule-breaking masterpieces probably don't need forum threads to help them out.

that or they're in a monkey/typewriter sort of situation if they do manage

you could be the monkeys with the typewriters, but why risk it?

anime was right
Jun 27, 2008

death is certain
keep yr cool
writing is great and fun but it is also miserable and awful

anime was right
Jun 27, 2008

death is certain
keep yr cool
every deviation from the norm is a risk, friendo

anime was right
Jun 27, 2008

death is certain
keep yr cool

Okua posted:

I've even seen the line go on after the "said"-tag for maximum confusion.

But that's usually only in older books.

sometimes its fun to coopt this style if you're writing something quick that's supposed to feel old tho which is fun even if its probably a bad idea

anime was right
Jun 27, 2008

death is certain
keep yr cool

anime was right posted:

every deviation from the norm is a risk, friendo

anime was right
Jun 27, 2008

death is certain
keep yr cool
you're all nerds

anime was right
Jun 27, 2008

death is certain
keep yr cool

showbiz_liz posted:

This is a neat guide to the types of cheesy choices that new (or just bad) fiction writers can make. It's on an SF blog but most of it applies to any fiction writing. Examples-

Nowhere Nowhen Story - Putting too little exposition into the story’s beginning, so that the story, while physically readable, seems to take place in a vacuum and fails to engage any readerly interest.

Fuzz - An element of motivation the author was too lazy to supply. The word “somehow” is a useful tip-off to fuzzy areas of a story. “Somehow she had forgotten to bring her gun.”

The Grubby Apartment Story - Similar to the “poor me” story, this autobiographical effort features a miserably quasi-bohemian writer, living in urban angst in a grubby apartment. The story commonly stars the author’s friends in thin disguises — friends who may also be the author’s workshop companions, to their considerable alarm.

i cant wait for my book, free of pet peeves, to never sell bc its still bad

anime was right
Jun 27, 2008

death is certain
keep yr cool
i do henceforth declare that this is precisely how the common man articulates

anime was right
Jun 27, 2008

death is certain
keep yr cool

Sitting Here posted:

No one wants to know how you articulate

e: srsly man that's really gross, TMI

you're not my real dad

anime was right
Jun 27, 2008

death is certain
keep yr cool
also anyone want to trade test reading? around 10k words, first threeish chapters of a book. around early next week. no hard deadline. i dont care what genre your book/story/whatever is.

anime was right
Jun 27, 2008

death is certain
keep yr cool
this thread is way worse than the old one. fight me if i'm wrong.

anime was right
Jun 27, 2008

death is certain
keep yr cool
why wont agents respond to my inquires about my high quality boruto (the sequel to naruto, if you're more of a Bleach fan) fanfics

anime was right
Jun 27, 2008

death is certain
keep yr cool
for real someone post some actual fiction advice that isnt just an insular td circle jerk, i have tried asking actual questions already.

anime was right
Jun 27, 2008

death is certain
keep yr cool

anime was right posted:

so this is a dumb thought i had when struggling with how to write the middle of the story.

typical structures seem more focused on the pacing more than the reasoning which made it hard for me to think about like, what events should be transpiring in the middle, and then this thought came to mind

"the middle contextualizes the ending that your beginning set up" - and i think this did a better job in my head of knowing what to trim and what to grow, personally. i dunno.

whats a good resource on writing middles

anime was right posted:

that or they're in a monkey/typewriter sort of situation if they do manage

you could be the monkeys with the typewriters, but why risk it?

i asked these too dude but no one responds to the actual questions and instead the insular trash.

how about this, how do people feel about information density? is it cool to thrust people into buzzword city so long as it makes sense as you continue to read? do you think its better to introduce elements slowly at the cost of lengthening your pace?

anime was right fucked around with this message at 03:02 on Mar 17, 2017

anime was right
Jun 27, 2008

death is certain
keep yr cool
them some good posts, im gonna mull over those and think about that stuff. thanks yall.

anime was right
Jun 27, 2008

death is certain
keep yr cool
actually getting published, now thats some real fiction

anime was right
Jun 27, 2008

death is certain
keep yr cool
for real how the gently caress do i get test reading done aaaaaaaaaaa

anime was right
Jun 27, 2008

death is certain
keep yr cool

General Battuta posted:

My book's finally going great guys, closing in on the end :toot:

my goal is to one day have your problems.

...i should start drinking, shouldn't i?

anime was right
Jun 27, 2008

death is certain
keep yr cool

General Battuta posted:

Man it ain't like that.

Being published won't change anything about the internal struggle. How you think of your work, how to make yourself believe you have something to say, comparing yourself to better writers or writers getting prizes or writers landing huge advances. It's 'the next thing will make me feel good' all the way down. So don't put yourself down! You gotta start beating those habits now! The eternal struggle can't wait :shepface:

im gonna climb the rungs until i die. if i can see a lot of cool poo poo all high up there then it will have been worth it, you know?

anime was right
Jun 27, 2008

death is certain
keep yr cool

crabrock posted:

imo reading how to write is dumb. just read books/stories instead. it'll do you better in the long run. gently caress how somebody else thinks i should write. I GONNA DO ME

that stuff is good for problem solving but writing strictly using a heros journey template or w/e is a recipe for disaster if you dont know why you're doing stuff in the first place.

anime was right
Jun 27, 2008

death is certain
keep yr cool
give a good reason for the characters to not go to the cops. like a legitimate character reason. thats the best way. otherwise handwave it in the most effortless way possible.

make your protags nwa, is what im saying.

anime was right
Jun 27, 2008

death is certain
keep yr cool

Sitting Here posted:

I know Anime Was Right was posting looking for some kind of exchange, don't know if the lengths of the pieces match up, though. If he sees this maybe you guys can swap?

Otherwise lol give me like 6 more months...maybe a year.... :negative:

around 70k words, ya fantasy, specifically

anime was right
Jun 27, 2008

death is certain
keep yr cool

Dr. Kloctopussy posted:

Lol if you have another one in like a year I'll trade with you :(

good news! i'm pretty close to done with another one

anime was right
Jun 27, 2008

death is certain
keep yr cool

Dr. Kloctopussy posted:

You might want to go check the date on a newspaper, because if you're finding mostly Elves and Dragons on your fantasy shelves you may have traveled 20 years into the past.

my expectation is now excel spreadsheets about the magic system

anime was right
Jun 27, 2008

death is certain
keep yr cool
what makes your book interesting and also different from every book in that market

anime was right
Jun 27, 2008

death is certain
keep yr cool

After The War posted:

I hope my gf believes me when I say that my browser history is now full of "babycenter.com" visits because I was trying to come up with accurate names from the 1930s. This could get awkward.

I should probably start doing my research in a private window, right?

EDIT - Turns out the Social Security Administration has a less creepy site for looking up popular names. :doh:

you could like, show her your book, dude

anime was right
Jun 27, 2008

death is certain
keep yr cool
You can also tell your Epic Origin Story in like 10 paragraphs interspersed throughout the entire narrative

anime was right
Jun 27, 2008

death is certain
keep yr cool
you can inform the past with present actions. put them in a situation where they have to make a choice, then use the moments of what shaped them as a person inform that choice.

bad example: if they are an orphan without a stable parental figure, then they may be ambivalent towards authority. put them in a situation where they are being bossed around by an authority figure. because of their past, they refuse to listen even if it's the right thing to do. they chose not to listen to the authority figure. during that choice, you can express how their oprhan-ness turned into that decision. you've done something interesting that moves the plot forward (they made a choice that puts them closer to the ending) while at the same time, telling the reader who they are.

anime was right
Jun 27, 2008

death is certain
keep yr cool
if its not interesting dont tell it

if its necessary to tell it, make it as interesting as possible and cut out the least interesting parts

if its necessary to tell it and you cant make it interesting, throw it out and write a completely different book

anime was right
Jun 27, 2008

death is certain
keep yr cool

Hungry posted:

Anybody got any favourite/preferred outlining methods?

I used to be big on discovery writing until I made a huge mess of a first draft and used outlines to dig around and figure out what I was trying to do with the story. But until today I've never started a project by specifically trying to outline before writing at least 20-30k words (which usually end up trashed fast because I'm just stumbling around). I'm trying to outline first this time, and it's unexplored territory for me.

i mean this really depends on the person and you kinda have to figure out what methods work for you

this lecture might be useful:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tI2UsHU4Htk

in general, figure out your ending asap so you know where you're going to land. if you have to change your ending after figuring out your characters, thats ok, but don't start filling out lesser details until you know your ending. after you have your beginning concept and ending, fill in the middle from there.

my method is pretty in the middle and may be useful for you:
figure out core hook or interesting things you want to do
figure out character motivations (these can change, but i wouldn't really gently caress around with major protagonist motivations once you have something solid that ties into the ending)
figure out ending
fill in a few huge chunks from there (separate your book into 4ish pieces)
state your goals for each chunk; for example, mention "three instances of character growth towards this direction" in chunk 3 so the finale feels like the character has made a meaningful change.
figure out a theme; this is sort of your problem solving device, try and tie it to as many characters as possible. is a scene not accomplishing much but necessary for some reason? relate it to a theme.
once i have that, i just start writing and problem solve anything that sucks from there.
for each scene, before i write i take at least two goals from the chunk pile and make a conscious effort to include them in the scene i write.

anime was right fucked around with this message at 20:27 on Jul 27, 2017

anime was right
Jun 27, 2008

death is certain
keep yr cool
also dont forget there are pretty good odds that no matter what method you use you're just going to suck at writing long stories until you do it a few times and learn from your mistakes

part of writing a few books isnt just to get a lot of words on the page, its to learn your methods and how to plan better, course correct, and know what methods work best for you.

anime was right
Jun 27, 2008

death is certain
keep yr cool
yea

anime was right
Jun 27, 2008

death is certain
keep yr cool

MockingQuantum posted:

So on the subject of finishing, I've been chugging away at a book, I'm about 35k words into it, and it turns out I'm some horrible amalgamation when it comes to plotting vs discovery. It's taken me about this long to figure out what/who the book is really about, and the 35k words I've written so far don't feel like they're at all going in the right direction.

My instinct now is to start over, because I feel like a) I'll get up to that same word count relatively quickly now that I have a better sense of the story and plot, and b) what I'd write the second time around would likely take significantly less editing to be not-abjectly-terrible. At that point, starting fresh is probably the right move, yeah?

finish it, learn what you hosed up, apply it to a new book. you need to figure out how to land the lane, not just get it in the air.

anime was right
Jun 27, 2008

death is certain
keep yr cool
protagonist name and the x of (the) y

anime was right
Jun 27, 2008

death is certain
keep yr cool
amulet of air: ascension; a novel by a novelist, part 1 in an epic fantasy series

anime was right
Jun 27, 2008

death is certain
keep yr cool
"dragons are a myth"

*twenty two chapters later*

"this is a flying lizard that shoots fire... excuse me, heat energy from its mouth... its called a fire terror lizard god and it is absolutely NOT a dragon. dragons are a myth"

anime was right
Jun 27, 2008

death is certain
keep yr cool

crabrock posted:

Sorry guys, that list was 45 years in the making and I don't have any more fantasy titles to share.

i got one

A Published Author, by Crab Rock

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

anime was right
Jun 27, 2008

death is certain
keep yr cool

ketchup vs catsup posted:

Yes, please describe in detail the generic style that straddles mystery, science fiction, fantasy, romance, and any other genres included in genre fiction.

its got nouns and verbs

hosed up, imo