Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

DurianGray
Dec 23, 2010

King of Fruits

the_sea_hag posted:

Hello! I have a project that's in its very early stages (it's been an RP line since last October and I'm working with my cowriter to get it in shape as a romance novel) and I'd like to see if I can get any feedback on how I should talk about the character before I start seeking out a sensitivity reader. I am a queer cis woman.

My character, Y, started the story as gender non-conforming amab, but through rereading what I have so far it's becoming clear to me that Y's past and experience of gender would fit a trans woman well. So I'm at a crossroads:

a) Has Y not come to realize herself as a woman yet? If so, I would be putting her coming out close to the end of the book if not in the epilogue. My problem is that she would be deadnamed and referred to with incorrect pronouns throughout most of the narrative. So I'm questioning how this would impact my audience; if you are trans, how would it impact your reading and enjoyment of the story if, at the end, Y came out as trans? (Just an immediate response is what I'm looking for here.)

It also puts forth the question that I would really like to ask if I take this route: when I'm talking about Y, should I consistently refer to her with she/her pronouns conversationally, even if I'm talking about points in the novel before her coming out? I mainly don't want to piss off my sensitivity reader. IRL I retroactively refer to the trans people in my life by their proper pronouns when talking their lives pre-transition, but I'm not sure if this would make talking about Y confusing to an outside party.

b) Should I just make Y trans throughout the story? This would mean that, at the beginning of the story, she's living as a man because she can't afford to pass/is afraid of the danger that living as a woman poses in her social environment. In passages from her perspective, she would be referring to herself by her name, but everyone including her love interest would be deadnaming her and calling her by the wrong pronouns. This would probably be for the first three or so chapters before she comes out to her love interest and lives as a woman for the rest of the novel. If you're trans, how would the shift in pronouns impact your experience reading the story? If you're cis, how do you think the shift in pronouns/name impact your reading? (Again, just an immediate response/opinion is what I'm looking for here.)

If these are questions that garner less than simple answers/a longer conversation, I am willing to compensate for the time of anyone who wants to have a private discussion as an investment in making my story better. PM me and we'll hash out the details.

I'm nonbinary trans so I don't have this exact experience (and everyone has a different experience anyway, like sparksbloom said) but I'll give my 2 cents.

a) As a trans person, if I picked up the book because, say, I saw it tagged somewhere as having a trans character, I'd probably be pretty disappointed if that character wasn't even out to themself until the end or the epilogue. I'd probably just be thinking "where is the trans character?" the whole time. (I've definitely read books that get touted as having gay/bi main characters when it ends up just being nothing but a vague line of dialog near the end of the story where the character says/implies they aren't straight and it's almost always pretty disappointing.) If you're foreshadowing her coming out through the whole book that might work better and you wouldn't leave people wondering, but you do run the risk of writing a trans coming out story as a cis person, and that's tricky ground to tread at best.

WRT to your question of how to refer to the character to others, I think for the purpose of talking about the character with sensitivity readers and people who are helping with editing and the like (basically, people who are reading this not as a casual reader) I'd definitely use she/her since they would know the character's identity anyway. As far as with casual readers, I don't have a solid answer but I will say I am wary of the odds that some people might treat it like it's a spoiler if it isn't established until the end. In general, I'm personally not a fan of things where a person's gender identity and/or sexuality could be treated like a spoiler - it just doesn't sit right with me.

b) A pronoun/name shift after a few chapters really wouldn't bother me at all, but I also read a good amount of stuff with trans/nonbinary/genderfluid characters where that kind of thing is relatively common.

I'll also second what sparksbloom said that an option C where the character is already out at the beginning and her trans-ness is addressed in flashbacks or memories seems like something worth considering. You skip over a lot of the trickiness of writing a coming out story and it simplifies how you refer to your character immensely. Plus, if I was a reader and I'd picked this up in part because I heard one of the characters was trans, I wouldn't be left hanging.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

DurianGray
Dec 23, 2010

King of Fruits
It depends on the context, really. If you've got a narrator or a character speaking who would naturally use "there's," then go with that. If you're writing from a more formal POV (something like a distant third person narrator, or a character who would just speak more 'correctly' for whatever reason) use "there are."

DurianGray
Dec 23, 2010

King of Fruits

PiCroft posted:

I guess I’m asking if these sound contrived, sensible or if I’m overthinking it? I’ve been trying to avoid the trap of constantly editing as I write but these questions are tormenting me and I finally decided I’d like some outside perspectives.

Yeah, I think an outline or maybe pulling back and really focusing on the characters (since it sounds like the murderous hallucinatory psychodrama is the real focus/what you need to establish things around) might help out since who they are informs how they got there more than anything else. Maybe even start a draft where the group is already on the spooky ship and see what character dynamics feel like they work the best or makes the most sense (or even 2 drafts -- one for each of your starting scenarios).

I also think getting to the spooky stuff quickly will probably be 1) more fun to write and 2) more fun to read (unless you're going for a super slow-burn, atmospheric sort of thing, but 'violent supernatural murder mystery' makes me think that maybe cutting to the action faster might be better? Depends on the mood you're going for, of course!).

DurianGray
Dec 23, 2010

King of Fruits
Yeah back when I did improv theater ( :v: ) the Yes, and/No, but (etc.) approach was a huge part of keeping any given scene going and evolving. And writing is sort of like doing improv by yourself since it's all just dealing with loops of action/reaction/consequence. (And knowing that she has a theater/puppetry/performance background, I'm not surprised at all to see she's given that advice for writing.)

DurianGray
Dec 23, 2010

King of Fruits
I've written some longer stuff in Google Docs before and after a certain point (once I'd get around 50k words) it started to chug on some platforms. Mobile wasn't too bad, but on my desktop or laptop it would take a while to load in and stutter if I tried to scroll too fast. My 4ish year old chromebook would barely be able to load or scroll through it at all.

I just use Scrivener now, especially since the new version finally came out for Windows (and it finally has a dark mode).

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

DurianGray
Dec 23, 2010

King of Fruits

Fluffy Bunnies posted:

two things: what hand exercises are you guys doing these days to relieve pain?

I'll second that strengthening exercises are a great thing in the long run! But you do want to be careful depending on what kind of pain issue you have. I get tendonitis in my wrists if I overwork them, and for a while I tried using carpal tunnel braces (didn't know tendonitis existed at the time and assumed it was carpal) and stretches they actually just made it worse at least in my case. Only thing to do with tendonitis flare ups is to rest, ice, and take some ibuprofen. I try to do nerve glide exercises and strength exercises somewhat regularly when they're not flaring up though and it's helped reduce the flare ups a lot.