Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Xelkelvos
Dec 19, 2012

Dr. Kloctopussy posted:

What Wiz Zumalt could do with computers was magic on Earth. Then, one day the master computer hacker is called to a different world to help fight an evil known as the Black League. Suddenly, the Wiz finds himself in a place governed by magic--and in league with a red-headed witch who despises him.

Fukkin Isekai stories are a dime a dozen jeeze

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Xelkelvos
Dec 19, 2012
Dunno if this was posted in CC somewhere else: http://io9.gizmodo.com/write-a-short-story-about-the-economics-of-the-future-a-1800020162

I'm not involved in this, but I figured some goons might be interested and want to give it a shot. The subject is about a Universal Basic Income where everyone receives a sum of money that is budgeted to fit their basic needs (whatever that's defined to be) but it's given with no conditions on how it's actually spent. The word limit is 5,000. Submissions are due on this page by November 1 (the start of NaNoWriMo). The prize for being put on the short list is $1000 and the grand prize is $12,000 (paid in $1000 installments over 12 months).

Full Topic:

quote:

What might a world look like where all of our most basic needs are met? In 5,000 words or less, we want you to explore the impacts of a basic income on individual lives and on society at large. To be clear, we are not expecting you to draft economic policy, but hope to ignite debate around new economies with stories that offer nuanced critique and evidence of impact extrapolated beyond the power of predictive models. Writers may want to address how this economic policy could shift relationships of power, or if economic liberation is even possible without first addressing racial and gender justice. Writers may consider universality (i.e., whether this benefit applies to everyone), investigate community impact, and even give this economic idea a new name.

Might be worth a shot for some folks. :shrug:

Xelkelvos
Dec 19, 2012
If I'm just getting into writing (like within the last few weeks), would it be wise to sign up for the Thunderdome even though my writing skills probably have as much polish as week old cow pie?

Xelkelvos
Dec 19, 2012
I wanted to try and practice writing again, but if I wanted to post something more than a few sentences for critique, where should I post it?