Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Fruity20
Jul 28, 2018

Do you believe in magic, Tenno?
First post on here. As a writer, have you considered the idea of using outlines for your work?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Fruity20
Jul 28, 2018

I just now realized that a lot of ideas i've written down tend to have male protags. only a few them have a female character as the lead. the funny thing is I'm a girl yet i barely write people of my own gender ( or even). maybe i just like writing out of my comfort zone sometimes. is this even normal to do?

Fruity20
Jul 28, 2018

Axel Serenity posted:

It's perfectly normal, but it does come with some caveats. Most of my books have women leads; I just feel like those characters are women more naturally than they feel like men. However, if it's something you do want to publish, it's important that you don't fall into stereotypes about gender (unless that's the intent).

So, I usually make sure I have quite a few beta readers who are women to give me perspective and make sure my characters feel "real" and don't go into "She sighed breastily" territory. I don't know if I have got it 100% perfect, but I have changed a few things based on feedback they've given.

i gotta be honest, as a woman, i hate it when writers describe a woman's breast as the most important thing to describe. dude, there are other things for that.

Fruity20 fucked around with this message at 19:01 on Oct 1, 2018

Fruity20
Jul 28, 2018

i'm gonna prep for nanowrimo, wish me luck.

and this story got alien dragons in it

Fruity20
Jul 28, 2018

Paladinus posted:

You can't spell 'literature' without 'real tit'.

more you know.

on a serious note, i'm using october as a chance to outline my novel in depth. can't be always writing on the seat of your pants. :). i did get the general idea of the conflict i settled with. let's say it's playing with the whole "im adopted" thing.

Fruity20
Jul 28, 2018

to you, what is a good antagonist? like what traits make them understandable to audience?

Fruity20
Jul 28, 2018

Phil Moscowitz posted:

I think the same traits that make a good protagonist: realistic or at least understandable goals and motives (not just bad for bad’s sake), a proactive rather than reactive nature, and relatable character flaws that are more than just “Guy is a psychopath.”

This last one can be flipped on its head with antagonists in the sense that they can be compelling because they are so alien to the reader psychologically. But if their motives and actions make sense for them, and fit the character and the narrative, then their “alienness” itself can be compelling.

really late reply but i tend to write more force of nature villains than i do more human antagonist.

ones baiscally an anicent dragon god who's ambtions grew so great he could no longer use logical reasoning. he went insane as a result.

Fruity20
Jul 28, 2018

can you take a overdone idea and make it interesting? i've been using too many as of late. notably the 7 deadly sins as themes for a series of short stories.

Fruity20
Jul 28, 2018

I just feel like I'm struggling to find something that feels familiar but is different enough to stand on its own merits.

Fruity20
Jul 28, 2018

I'm doing some world building and i wanted to avoid the unfortunate implications of calling other completely different sapient beings as "races", opting to use "species" instead. my only real problem is how can i explain how hybrids happen between different species?

Fruity20
Jul 28, 2018

feedmyleg posted:

You can always just make up your own term that won't carry the same baggage.

that's the thing, i suck at naming things. i either have to rely on generators or mashing names together and hoping it ain't a curse word in another language or already been used. i guess i'm very conscious of being as inoffenseive as possible.

Fruity20
Jul 28, 2018

setting is more or less science fantasy with emphasis on fantasy. so yea i might take that.

Fruity20
Jul 28, 2018

thanks for some inspiration ideas. i just wanted to ask since

there's a plot point where a tribe of harpies are trying to repopulate by capturing human men in hopes of siring male harpies to breed with. the problem is that 90% end up being hybrids instead of purely harpies. knowing how stubborn they are they keep on doing it.

another is i'm trying to be a tad bit more scientific with some of my mythical creatures. not too realistic per say as some hybrids/chimeras can still breed but the rest can't. demons are the exception as they aren't a species in the traditional sense.

Fruity20
Jul 28, 2018

Exmond posted:

Did the Incryptid series by Seannan McGuire ever delve into the science bits? You might want to pick up that series.

thanks for the recommendation :)

Fruity20
Jul 28, 2018

hypothetically, if you were tasked to go on a expedition to an island full of strange creatures and dangerous flora, what experts shall you bring with you? (i'm having issues deciding what comprises my main expedition team for a short story of mine)

Fruity20
Jul 28, 2018

Chairchucker posted:

Botanist, biologist, doctor, soldier, also what's the setting?

it's modern and possibly in the near future. (it's kinda like skull island but with dragons and lizard people on it.... and one of the crew's anthropologist becomes a giant woman)

Fruity20 fucked around with this message at 20:37 on Jan 8, 2019

Fruity20
Jul 28, 2018

anatomi posted:

Under the assumption that it's a fantasy setting: D'you have a hundred races (or folk/kin, that's a good suggestion) or something? If there are just a few combinations, maybe it makes sense to use context-specific terms. An elf might refer to an elf-human hybrid as a Stub-Ear or a Partial (I don't know how politically horrible or not your setting is). Otherwise, cross-kin as a neutral term?

urban fantasy...and a freaking kitchen sink.

the main kin however are

• humans (just plain old humans. they do have the potential to become any of these kin save for geizai and cambions)
  • cambions/ children of sin (half demons. the most common are half-succubi or incubi)
  • vampires (they're not the usual undead kind)
  • faerah ( a kinda original race of animal or plant shapeshifters. their cousins were descended from them.)
  • overnaturals (basically, x men styled mutants)
  • geizai (sister species to the humans and psychics who left earth to colonize the galaxy. the ones that remained are far and few between)
  • revenants (undead who are bound by a precept. some refused to die while others were resurrected by a deal with the devil/god or a necromancer)
  • fae or bugfolk (unlike the usual takes, they're arthropod-like in nature and live in a different plane that overlaps with our own)

if it helps, it's a bit more nobledark or kinda dark but people can try to make the best out of it.

Fruity20
Jul 28, 2018

Glass of Milk posted:

So humans can become these, but they also come along on their own? Is there any difference between a natural-born faerah and one that a human turned into- do either of those species have a name for it (or a pejorative)?

Comedy option: You could call them the Ish. Yeah, he's human-Ish. Vampire-Ish.

natural born tend to be stronger mostly and live longer. most natural born tend to look down on faerah who use to be human.

Fruity20
Jul 28, 2018

I feel like i need to use some slang in dialogue but my main fear is if i add that in, it ends up feeling cheesy and a sad attempt to connect with the kids. yet, i'm a young adult and the characters in the story are also young adults...sooo

Fruity20 fucked around with this message at 16:28 on Jan 24, 2019

Fruity20
Jul 28, 2018

is it possible for a character to use a cell phone without ruining "immersion" ?

Fruity20
Jul 28, 2018

recently did outlines for chapter one of my project. my only real issue is pacing and how to introduce characters...which i'm struggling with. there's like a total 4 characters to be introduced in like 30 pages or so. (this is a comic btw, i'm not sure if this make sense to posted here but ey)

Fruity20
Jul 28, 2018

I should read more as I've encountered words like sashay, gyrate, and commiserated that grabbed my interest in adding it into my ever expanding vocabulary :unsmith:

edit:

is it okay to start your first novel despite not writing often but reading some prose sometimes? there's been an idea i really wanna write out that makes so much sense as a novel but i don't know where to start. it was also going to be a nanowrimo book until my laziness got the best of me.

Fruity20 fucked around with this message at 20:13 on Mar 4, 2019

Fruity20
Jul 28, 2018

So question for character motivation: i have this grimoire that records everything from magic spells, to mythical beast, and ancient artifacts. apparently, it's sapient and wants out main characters to gather knowledge in order to get their wishes granted. two of my characters have a similar motivation of breaking their respective curses (but one actually thinks their curse isn't really that bad while the other really wants to rid themselves of it). one character...kinda doesn't have a wish of their own. they're a literal fish out of water who left her home to learn more about the human world...and that's it.

so what's the question? what are ways to make it feel more believable.

Fruity20
Jul 28, 2018

Exmond posted:

Your concept sounds believable, save for a few things.

1) How can the grimoire grant wishes, and why does it need our main character to gather knowledge. Why can't anyone else do it? Why can't it simply wish for more knowledge?
2) What's the limit of the grimoires powers? Does it record fact? Or what the grimoire think is fact from it's current holder? [You might want to look up Future Diary for neat interpretations of future-telling books]

Really, believability is going to come from execution. If you have me invested in your characters and a wacky adventure, you will find people are more invested in them, then scoffing at a talking fish or talking grimoire.

For character motivations, I'm a bit confused:

1) I don't understand how your characters interact with each other. Both have curses but one doesn't care about the curse. A third character is a fish out of water. Why does this matter? I don't see where the conflict is or the excitement beyond the general idea of curses and fishes.

It sounds like you have one character's motivation figured out. They want the curse gone. You need to figure out the other characters motivations, and if they are going to generate conflict. (This method works for me, results not guaranteed)

A) To break the curse you need the sacrifice of a creature cursed with the same curse, which is Character B(Person who's fine with the same curse.) Oh and did we mention Character C (Fish out of water)has an Eidetic Memory, beyond normal? Kind of sounds like the book doesn't it? I wonder if the book is trying to sacrifice character C to escape its curse?

B) The grimoire records everything, so why is it including information about our protagonist that simply isn't true? Character B's father isn't Bob From Accounting? Oh wait, crap the book is telling the truth!! But then why does grimiore say the world ended 30 years ago, by Character C's hand?

technically it can't grant wishes. it's really obsessed with knowledge to point that they're willing to pull strings to get their way. now technically a entity must be noteworthy and paranormal in origin to be recorded. travis, my vampire who's okay with his curse is from a cursed bloodline of people who cursed to become vampires during the night. so he does have a entry in the book that details his family history. but for it to record something it must grab a sample. the more samples you get from a creature, the more info the book collects.

SelenicMartian posted:

Yeah, limitations and restrictions make things more believable since people are like that, and human technology is like that.

Can it undo any curse or only a curse caused by a spell that's been written into the book and has therefore be discovered by the characters first?

Maybe it's a thing with the grimoire that it's only useful when it has a full understanding of a problem, so if you want it to fix your bad overbite you need to rub it against a proper human skull? Does it need to consume a living person to know about healing people?

What languages does it know? What senses does it have? If it has to be filled by hand, can anyone do it or only an expert? If somebody writes something wrong into it, what happens?

Is it allergic to puns?

actually that's a good idea or plot point of sorts. since neither spells that gave them these curses are written in the book. so they have to find the people who curse them to reverse the curse. they're both dead sadly.

Fruity20
Jul 28, 2018

Djeser posted:

It sounds like you're trying to do a pretty basic fantasy party type thing, where a whole bunch of chumps from different backgrounds all decide to hang out and deal with each others' snoring for whatever reason. It's pretty easy to find a justification for that, depending on what sort of story you're trying to tell. Maybe there's some side benefit to the Quest that makes the character want to join up, even if they don't care about the main goal--either it'll incidentally solve a problem they have (Sauron's been driving down the value of my Minas Tirith time share!) or it's a convenient way for them to get something they want (I can't wait to hit every Pokestop on the way to Rivendell!). Maybe they use it as an excuse to get out of an unpleasant situation, a sort of 'anything is better than this' deal. Maybe they're inspired and want to tag along to witness the exploits of these extremely cool chumps, or want some of that fame for themselves, or see some other kind of opportunity for greatness/profit/inspiration/knowledge/free Wendy's.

it's urban fantasy and the main characters apart from one are teens.

Fruity20
Jul 28, 2018

^ oh neat!

ey, for any of you writers out there, should just plow through a draft in one sitting or take a break then go back and write?

my perfectionism is preventing me from actually writing something.

Fruity20
Jul 28, 2018

Doctor Zero posted:

E: and you HAVE to kill that perfectionism. That was my struggle for a long time. It’s more deadly than anything else.

indeed. it's freaking hard too. I get super panicked when i can't think of anything without cringing.

Fruity20
Jul 28, 2018

Foolster41 posted:

Yeah, the discord writing groups I've been a part of have been pretty helpful, though I found having a real-life group has been the biggest help to get me to want to just write and bring something to read, and they've been super helpful. Also there's something about being face-to-face that I think helps make the critique more direct and holds people accountable to act reasonable (though I guess that hasn't been that big issue online), and it just feels more "connecting"" being across a table from someone.
though I realize not everyone is in a place where they can do a RL group.

i'm a extremely introverted person who has troubling talking to people. so i guess sort of screwed. my best option is getting a mentor that can speak me how to speak clearly.

Fruity20
Jul 28, 2018

How do you write a compelling femme fatale?

Or in this case, I have this male assassin that works for a genetic engineering company. The reasons he works for them is mainly to find a cure for his condition (Which is he's part gorgon). Now largely he doesn't seduce often cuz I fear it might be problematic because male sexuality and what not...idk. I just don't like offending people or having folks fill my inbox with complaints about his character.

Fruity20
Jul 28, 2018

sebmojo posted:

This is Duncan idaho in chapterhouse dune fyi he mind controls ladies with his magic wang it's fairly silly

wait :catstare: that actually freaking happened?

Fruity20
Jul 28, 2018

I just realized the premise of an adult woman bringing teenagers along (albeit they're monsters or have superpowers) to go monster hunter feels like a premise that could fall apart. for one thing, the kids go to school during the day and there's moments where the lady has to call them in for emergencies. note: they're the same people i've mentioned in a previous question of mine about the grimore or tome.

Fruity20
Jul 28, 2018

Chairchucker posted:

Depends on the intended tone of the story, but I find the idea mildly amusing and like it.

it's largely begins as a action comedy with horror elements. but eventually poo poo starts hitting the fan when the tome slowly reveals it's dark secrets to the main cast.

Fruity20 fucked around with this message at 13:18 on Mar 27, 2019

Fruity20
Jul 28, 2018

Mirage posted:

Are the kids aware of the work they're doing, and do they think/realize it's more important than school? Then they contrive ways to slip out/act sick/trick teachers. Can one of the students use their abilities to help to get their allies out? Do that. Potential fun plot complication: After they've easily gotten out of school once or twice with one of the kids' powers, what do they do if that kid isn't at school when an emergency arises?

Is the woman a known guardian to one or more of them? If not, can she become so (or fake it convincingly)? If not that, can she somehow inform a school staff member about what they're REALLY doing (or create a cover story) so they have an ally on the inside?

Lots of options. Don't worry too hard about them.

the main cover story is that they go on field trips a lot since the main characters are part of this club of sorts. it helps that two of the staff aren't human, being a dullahan and fish man respectively

Fruity20
Jul 28, 2018

Glass of Milk posted:

Anyone here familiar with Chanillo? It's a subscription-based platform where readers pay to get access to serial novels. (Radish might be a similar thing). I got a DM about contributing but wasn't sure what it was about.

the name rings a few bells but i never really heard of it. If you wanna do it, go for it especially if you wanna get your work out there.

Fruity20
Jul 28, 2018

So guys, I'm doing a group project for theater and we gotta write a script that's educational, motivational, and pg. so no lewds or violence.

Fruity20
Jul 28, 2018

I'm tasked to write a 15 page essay comparing and contrasting two works of fiction (I picked animal farm and the metamorphosis)....yet i never did 15 pages before. For many years, I've almost always wrote essays at the maximum of 2 pages, three if i'm lucky. Never had I even wrote a essay at this length. It's almost comparable to long short story too!

Fruity20
Jul 28, 2018

Is it okay to take an established mythical being and add your own spin on it? like how my vampires are apparently living rather than dead?

Fruity20
Jul 28, 2018

Screaming Idiot posted:

Only if they sparkle in sunlight and play lightspeed baseball watched by a lobotomized protagonist.

Screaming Idiot posted:

AND THEY BETTER BE loving MORMON OR I SWEAR TO JOSEPH SMITH

This is freaking sarcasm isn't it but to answer your question, no. my vampires do not sparkle in the sun... save for a certain strain of vampire. they can tolerate it for some time until they start getting rashes and burns and have to go back into the shadows. more darker skin vampires have a higher sun tolerance than light skin ones..unsurprisingly. really, there is a lot of ways to kill my vampires depending on the strain like concentrated UV bombs, stakes to the heart, drowning them, rocket launchers that shoot UV missiles...and other over the top poo poo.

this is gonna be a cheesy as heck story. then again it's suppose to ape the Saturday morning 90s cartoon feel. like with the premise of a bunch of monster teens and a 30 year old woman punching rich business man in the face while hunting all sorts of monsters is a crazy premise if executed right.

Fruity20
Jul 28, 2018

Mirage posted:

To be serious for a second: messing with mythical creatures to make them more realistic is like Urban Fantasy 101. "This so-called 'monster' was just a separate strain of humanity misunderstood by medieval people, and the tale grew in the telling, but they're actually no more or less evil than anyone else" is the premise for so many stories it would make your head spin.

So I ain't original for it? jokes aside, yea I'm super guilty of this but it's more due to the fact I'm kinda hate the trope of making every member of a species as evil. I find it nonsensical quite frankly unless you were some form of construct.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Fruity20
Jul 28, 2018

I know this thread is dead but I'm having an issue: a common recurring thing with YA media is the whole relationship drama thing . yea know ya breaks up and all that....I have a character who's been dating this other character for 6 months now despite being childhood friends. ...turns out character A is Bi and has been conflicting feelings about himself. He eventually breaks up with character B and tries to better understand his sexuality....this is where problems begin to arise. is this bad? will character B be fine with the fact her boyfriend after many years of keeping secrets from her, leaves her one day to date other people. doesn't help matters that they're teens in this instance.

Fruity20 fucked around with this message at 14:20 on Apr 22, 2019