Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

crabrock
Aug 2, 2002

I

AM

MAGNIFICENT

SHOULD HAVE U MORAN'S

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

crabrock
Aug 2, 2002

I

AM

MAGNIFICENT

Cpt. Mahatma Gandhi posted:

I believe it is spelled "you" but I am not sure, this was not covered in my writing classes and I do not know for a fact that it is "you", probably should have figured it out on my own but I did not

ok sure if you accept the white man's codifying of everything and stomping out any variation, i spell it the way William Shakespeare did. :colbert:

crabrock
Aug 2, 2002

I

AM

MAGNIFICENT

I think a lot of past tense is written in that way. You're writing about something you just watched happen. like "holy poo poo, she just got punched in the face!" but instead with the benefit of a few seconds for internal editing: "Rob punched her in the face." "She punched back!"

crabrock
Aug 2, 2002

I

AM

MAGNIFICENT

from the west coast and i get poo poo on the east coast for saying "the 101."

the only solution to this problem is interstate/state highway sign emojis. it's not the 101 unless it's

realtalk: infinite jest talks about boston streets a lot. read that

crabrock
Aug 2, 2002

I

AM

MAGNIFICENT

General Battuta posted:

It's 'the next thing will make me feel good' all the way down.

this is life. the key is to recognize that feeling of working towards something as "happiness."

that's as good as it gets.

crabrock
Aug 2, 2002

I

AM

MAGNIFICENT

yeah, write better words.

crabrock
Aug 2, 2002

I

AM

MAGNIFICENT

why does your protag share all your views? is it really necessary to the story? take one of your views and flip it, then give that to the char. it'll force you to write poo poo you wouldn't say. It'll force you to start thinking of them as a different person. the more you can imagine your characters as people, the more your brain will start to fill in those gaps. We pretty much have vast amounts of brain computational power dedicated to determining what others are thinking, and how they might act. writing fiction taps into this. as soon as your protag starts doing poo poo you wouldn't do, it forces your brain to start going "OH GOD WHAT MIGHT HE DO? CONSIDER ALL THE POSSIBILITIES IN CASE ONE OF THEM IS 'STAB YOU' SO WE CAN RUN AWAY" people poo poo on me when i say anxiety is beneficial to writing, but it really is.

crabrock
Aug 2, 2002

I

AM

MAGNIFICENT

that's no moon, it's a orc

:smug:

crabrock
Aug 2, 2002

I

AM

MAGNIFICENT

Confusing black squiggly writing hard.

crabrock
Aug 2, 2002

I

AM

MAGNIFICENT

i love writing openings, it's probably my favorite part of the whole story.

crabrock
Aug 2, 2002

I

AM

MAGNIFICENT

imo reading how to write is dumb. just read books/stories instead. it'll do you better in the long run. gently caress how somebody else thinks i should write. I GONNA DO ME

crabrock
Aug 2, 2002

I

AM

MAGNIFICENT

get into their psyche. either

A. They believe in supernatural poo poo, and so it's not really a surprise, and what use is calling the cops on a ghost, etc? you'll be locked up and thrown in the crazy house! no, better to deal with this yourself

or

B. They don't believe in supernatural poo poo, and spend most of their time in denial until it's too late and they're in the thick of it.

i believe cellphones have really hosed over a lot of good story opportunities. silence of the lambs is ruined for me because one of the biggest build up moments is when she asks to use his phone at the end. ugh.

crabrock
Aug 2, 2002

I

AM

MAGNIFICENT

how can i go to the police when i am the police?!

crabrock
Aug 2, 2002

I

AM

MAGNIFICENT

pretty soon we all will

crabrock
Aug 2, 2002

I

AM

MAGNIFICENT

what about steampunk?

crabrock
Aug 2, 2002

I

AM

MAGNIFICENT

what's your opinion on sex with your dad?

crabrock
Aug 2, 2002

I

AM

MAGNIFICENT

Cashcrab is probably just another systran alt.

Free cache cab

crabrock
Aug 2, 2002

I

AM

MAGNIFICENT

i begin every story with a training montage.

crabrock
Aug 2, 2002

I

AM

MAGNIFICENT

write the thing and see if it is good and works as a story and if not start over

crabrock
Aug 2, 2002

I

AM

MAGNIFICENT

well you seem to have no problems typing up larges amounts of words, so just keep going lil buddy!

crabrock
Aug 2, 2002

I

AM

MAGNIFICENT

Naerasa posted:

That is gonna make things real complicated in a story about a character coming to terms with being a gay man woman.

"ladies whip your dick out"

crabrock fucked around with this message at 19:44 on Aug 28, 2017

crabrock
Aug 2, 2002

I

AM

MAGNIFICENT

here are some fantasy titles i came up with for you:

SWORD TROMBONE
SEASONAL VESTIBULE
THE OWNER OF A VARIABLE AMOUNT OF THINGS
THE REVERSE ECLIPSE
GONE BONES
LAFFY TAFFY GOBLIN SLAYER
VALEDICTORIAN KNIGHT
WIRELESS TREBUCHET
THE JOY OF IMPROPER FOOD SANITATION
A LIFE DEFINED BY BUBBLES
HUGE JACKMAN
THE GREENTHUMB WIZARD'S GROWING DIARY
WHET HOT AURTHURIAN SUMMER
EQUESTRIAN FINESSE
UNITED STEAKS
PIG WHIP
THE PERILS OF THE FACE HUNT
THE STORM THAT WAS CANCELED

crabrock
Aug 2, 2002

I

AM

MAGNIFICENT

Sorry guys, that list was 45 years in the making and I don't have any more fantasy titles to share.

crabrock
Aug 2, 2002

I

AM

MAGNIFICENT

anime was right posted:

i got one

A Published Author, by Crab Rock

i have multiple publications tyvm :colbert:

crabrock
Aug 2, 2002

I

AM

MAGNIFICENT

it's just all articles, adjectives, adverbs and prepositions now.

"A happily, cheery polkadotted around. Red, blue. The godly ghostly underneath."

-a famous book, probably

crabrock
Aug 2, 2002

I

AM

MAGNIFICENT

Well I mean, at least you get what you're supposed to be doing re: story structure. As for making likable characters, just try to think of people you like and why do you like them? You have to think of characters as more than just a plot device to achieve/do something. They're PEOPLE who want things and have a whole history that has led them up unto the beginning of your story. You mention character flaws, which is one of the big ones, but instead of thinking of a flaw as "this thing i am directly addressing in this story" think of it as "this thing that has plagued this person their whole loving life and it's just who they are now." Then you tell the story through that lens. But don't make them mopey jesus christ. Just because people have flaws doesn't mean they whine about it the whole story. people like characters with flaws because of how they succeed and persist IN SPITE of those flaws, not because of them.

I think I've enjoyed a modicum of success in TD because I don't really have a plot in mind, usually. I just think of something that I'd like to write about, then throw a character at it. Most of the time I think "man, i have a great plot idea" it ends up falling flat (probably because it feels forced). almost nobody ends up where they thought they'd end up, because life throws shitloads of problems at you and you have to make choices. same with your characters. so depending on what type of character you're trying to write, they'll react to challenges in different ways. if you already think you know HOW the challenge will be overcome, then you're not really allowing any room for a character to develop, you're just writing a plot summary with some pronouns stuck in it.

I'd suggest writing little character vignettes for a little bit. Just make up a dude and throw stuff at him to see how he'll react. think "how would somebody I know handle this? how would I handle this? what is a way this has been handled in other stories, and can i play with that?"

also twists suck. the ending should be telegraphed out so that when it happens the person says "of course it ends this way" even though (hopefully) they didn't think of it because they were too busy just enjoying the ride.

also make your characters humble because cocky know it alls are annoying. the only cocky know it alls that are entertaining either have a shitload of charm or get shown to be wrong and accept it (humble again)

crabrock fucked around with this message at 17:46 on Sep 6, 2017

crabrock
Aug 2, 2002

I

AM

MAGNIFICENT

i saw that and thought about it, but i'm guessing to win you need a pro-UBI story and tbf that sounds really boring. like as a plot point. UBI as a background might be ok but a whole story about that is dumb

crabrock
Aug 2, 2002

I

AM

MAGNIFICENT

this is the opening of mine, which i think we can all agree is going to get me that sweet, sweet 12k prize

Since congress and passed universal basic income, Carlos had not gotten a papercut. “Good thing I do not have to cash all those cheques,” he said Britishly, now that he had the money to subsist on more than American dialect.

crabrock
Aug 2, 2002

I

AM

MAGNIFICENT

it's not really about how the foxes gently caress, it's about the emotions that are going on while they gently caress. you don't have to describe all the details of fox loving if you explore your character's reaction to the fox loving.

quote:

Bobby ran into the forest and was immediately treated to the site of two of his mom's coats tussling with each other. "Oh I guess those are in real life foxes," he said, watching them loving. He had never seen foxes gently caress before, and he thought back to all the times he had watched himself gently caress in a mirror, and how similar it seemed, because of all the body hair.

crabrock fucked around with this message at 17:01 on Sep 15, 2017

crabrock
Aug 2, 2002

I

AM

MAGNIFICENT

Especially and quite are garbage words. If you delete them your story will be 99.99% the same

I have to go back and delete "just" out of my stories

crabrock
Aug 2, 2002

I

AM

MAGNIFICENT

Just write your story leaving that poo poo in, and remove it in editing.

crabrock
Aug 2, 2002

I

AM

MAGNIFICENT

Burkion posted:

Also don't play things too close to the chest as I found out!

As it turns out, Sitting Here, at the least, did not pick up that what I was doing with my Thunderdome submission was a black market organ theft kind of deal. I thought I had made that fairly explicit, but apparently I walked the line a bit too much.

Do not be afraid to be overt with your stuff. A lot of readers aren't going to read into it with the same level of detail as you will think it through

it's a fine balance that everybody fails now and again. better to skirt too close to the line than to make it painfully obvious and on-the-nose.

in reality, you'd have many beta readers, and if they weren't getting something you could add a few more hints after, whereas if they're like "omg i know," you have to cut out sometimes large portions of your story, and likely your story is filled with the obvious because you were "worried" and made it terrible.

crabrock
Aug 2, 2002

I

AM

MAGNIFICENT

if you have a TD losertar and then you end up winning somebody will usually buy you a new one because we're proud of you

crabrock
Aug 2, 2002

I

AM

MAGNIFICENT

A good question I got asked is "Why do you want to write this? What are you trying to say?"

So before I write my stories I ask "why do I want to tell people this story?" like, am I mad about something? scared of some future i've dreamed up? worried about how others might see me? those all become qualities i give my characters/stories. I figure if that's stuff i'm thinking about, probably other people are thinking about that stuff too, and might identify with it. so take your concepts and plug them into that context. WHY do you want to focus on this idea you have? You might have to tweak the idea a bit to get it to fit, but it's doable. Like if you want to write a scifi/fantasy story that deals with aliens and crystals with magical powers think about it in terms of "I'm worried I won't ever make enough money to live comfortably while everybody else around me seems to be doing pretty well. am i just stupid, or is there something i'm missing here?" then that turns to "This one guy collects magical crystals to harvest their energy but some aliens come in and take most of them and he has to get them back but in the end the real magic was inside him all along he just had to believe in himself" type deal.

don't steal my magical crystal story idea tho ®me

crabrock
Aug 2, 2002

I

AM

MAGNIFICENT

magnificent7 posted:

I love commas and hate that the crits have made me doubt my comma love

do what you want, just do it sparingly. save it for the times when you REALLY need to use all those commas because the runon rambling nature of the sentence is the only tone that makes sense. semicolons are formal, i try to only use them in like, exposition prose. em dashes are good for a complete aside, something that really goes off on a tangent. i'm more apt to put a period and start a new sentence than either of those, i save them for when i need them. the first sentence i think is fine, the second i would split into two.

crabrock
Aug 2, 2002

I

AM

MAGNIFICENT

Phil Moscowitz posted:

Or this:

I think number one is fine. If you want to avoid commas you could do this.

The second one I would do as crabrock says and rewrite it into two or more sentences.

If you must have only one sentence, then I think I would go with a full colon.

agree on all points

crabrock
Aug 2, 2002

I

AM

MAGNIFICENT

Simbyotic posted:

Can someone explain to me why I lost this last TD? Apart from some awful punctuation issues, and a weird phrases or two - I shouldn't have posted it that early, I've learned my lesson, - I actually quite like my little story.

https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3803906&userid=0&perpage=40&pagenumber=90#post477466445

left you some feedback in TD

https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3803906&userid=0&perpage=40&pagenumber=93#post477701157

crabrock
Aug 2, 2002

I

AM

MAGNIFICENT

Exmond posted:

After my 6th loss/DM in a row I have to be missing something. The feedback from TD has been good, but apparently not good enough :P.

haven't read your stuff but saw your post in TD with your goals. here is my advice:

A good thing to do to get back to some basics is to "write like hemmingway." What you're gonna do here is write very short, easy-to-read sentences. You're going to cut out almost all adjectives and adverbs, and instead you're going to focus on nouns and verbs. You're going to write about human interaction: two characters that have a connection. Do these things, and it'll be easier to focus on writing something that doesn't suck. You don't need big ideas or fancy words and your writing can still be powerful.

I'll crit this very small portion of your story with this in mind.

quote:

The punk ignored my instructions and ducked behind a large animatronic dinosaur this is scene setting, but not particularly interesting. like nothing in your story really ties this stuff together, so it more seems like you said "hm, what's something that would be in a fun park? a big dinosaur i guess., dragging a poor girl with him. poor is a lazy adjective. you could use a verb here and set it up better. the crying girl. the screaming girl, etc. the poor is implied. He started running nah, "he ran" towards the funhouse entrance, a few kilometres away, do i really need to know how far away this poo poo is? this is all blocking, and it's really boring. hoping to lose me. that's usually why people run. you could cut out all this poo poo and instead use the words for something that actually matters. I rushed after him and a small part of my brain nagged at me that I didn’t have to be here. this is a good set up. you're establishing an internal conflict. there's this guy with a girl, and the cop doesn't really feel like this is something he needs to do. but he feels obligated? he feels a sense of duty? expand on this a bit. what's going through this old guys head.

Maybe it was the fact that Wendy, my ex, had called me a few days ago. Told me now that the job was ending maybe we could meet up. Or maybe it was the bundle of paperwork that was my achievement for twenty-five years on the force. My career had taken over my life, Wendy will tell you that, but it hadn’t been exciting. Beat cop, walking the streets. Maybe I just wanted to go out with a bang, a heroic rescue; Feel like a cop that was worth a drat. this is good, kinda, but it doesn't so much mesh with the previous paragraph. why does all this stuff mean he doesn't have to be here? maybe establish a bit more that he could easily turn and walk away. maybe instead of a girl, it's just some other punk. make the stakes kinda low. yeah he's a cop that is supposed to protect people, but should he REALLY risk his life to save some low life?

When it became evident what is this? why is it evident? show this to me, don't just tell me. Is the distance closing? the old cop can't run fast? he has a bum knee? make up a reason and say that. let ME say "oh no he'll never catch him!" I wouldn’t catch up to the punk I pulled out my Walter-PP7 and pointed it at the funhouse. these verbs are boring. "pull out" and "point." such banal word choice. this cop is loving about to shoot somebody.

again, focus on verbs and nouns, make them sing. say poo poo that matters. get in this guy's head. You gotta really feel this character. You're not trying to emulate poo poo you seen on TV or a movie, you're trying to boil down something bordering on truth from the stew of feces that is life.

quote:

The punk scoffed at my order. He yanked the crying girl by her ponytail and they disappeared behind a rusted, animatronic Brontosaurus. I stopped to catch my breath, holding my hip. The irony of a broken, ancient dinosaur getting in the way was not lost on me. I sucked down a lungful of air and chased after them. A small part of my brain nagged at me that I didn’t have to be here.

Wendy had called me a few days ago, told me now that the job was ending maybe we could give it a second shot. Reminded me that I still had vacation time I hadn't claimed, and could turn in my paperwork early. I never took her off my accounts. But I didn't file for early dismissal. As much as I was looking forward to being done, there was some part of me that was still a beat cop, walking the streets. Maybe I just wanted to go out with a bang, a heroic rescue. Feel like a real cop. Feel like a man that was worth a drat.

I got distracted in my reverie, and my foot caught a loose rock. My hip slipped, and I hit the dirt hard. I rolled to my knees and whipped out my Walter-PP7 and thrust it toward the scrambling punk.

crabrock fucked around with this message at 00:41 on Oct 25, 2017

crabrock
Aug 2, 2002

I

AM

MAGNIFICENT

feedmyleg posted:

Danny raced his bicycle through the backstreets of Buttfield toward the large tree on the edge of city limits he'd taken to calling Jimtree. He parked his lover next to a sultry red mailbox, then circled the tree to find a hidden series of pine boards nailed all the way up the back like some creepy s&m poo poo. With way too much effort, being both tiny and fat, he scaled the makeshift ladder up onto the platform and walked over to the the knotty, crooked door and pushed the buzzer, which played the Dukes of Hazzard theme.

Fixed

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

crabrock
Aug 2, 2002

I

AM

MAGNIFICENT

Social niceties.