Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Cpt. Mahatma Gandhi
Mar 26, 2005

crabrock posted:

SHOULD HAVE U MORAN'S

I believe it is spelled "you" but I am not sure, this was not covered in my writing classes and I do not know for a fact that it is "you", probably should have figured it out on my own but I did not

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cpt. Mahatma Gandhi
Mar 26, 2005

showbiz_liz posted:

I start out just generally thinking about the story throughout the day and taking notes on my thoughts, which generally tend to pingpong around in my head (so sometimes structural/overall story stuff, sometimes specific character stuff or lines of dialogue, whole paragraphs of description, etc). The main place I do this is during my subway commute. Then once I have several thousand words of that, I arrange the structural stuff into an outline and the other stuff where it belongs underneath the major outline points. Then I look over it to see what's missing or what's weak or what makes no sense, and then I rinse and repeat the freeform note-taking until I feel like I have enough of a handle on the story to start actually writing out a draft.

I hadn't heard of anyone else doing things this way, and I kinda had it in my head that I was doing writing wrong, but I recently went to a talk by Ken Liu where he said that he'd written his giant fantasy epic bit by bit during his commute and then organized it using wiki software. I gotta look into that wiki idea, it sounds awesome.

IMO, there is no right or wrong way to write (aside from the obvious stuff like being a horrible speller or being grammatically incompetent). Every person is different with regards to how much prep they do, how they organize their information, how they go about writing individual drafts, etc. and really it's all about experimenting and finding what works best for you. Some authors (like Stephen King) do basically no prep beforehand and go full throttle on the Discovery method. Others will create in-depth character profiles, fine-tuned outlines, and essentially do months of work before ever putting that first sentence on paper. It's what they've found works for them, and thus it's how they creatively operate.

If your routine is working and you're having fun while doing it, then keep at it. If something's not working or you find the work tedious, try changing it up. But don't worry about "writing wrong" because ultimately there is no certified "right" way to write.

Cpt. Mahatma Gandhi
Mar 26, 2005

Yeah, that's interesting. I only saw the movie, and I can't recall a point where Ben Affleck ever came off as creepy as that first paragraph makes his character seem. Sleezy, sure, but never creepy and weird

Cpt. Mahatma Gandhi
Mar 26, 2005

Oh yeah, don't query an agent if the book isn't finished.*

*finished in this context meaning all drafts and editing done, not just typing "The End."

Cpt. Mahatma Gandhi fucked around with this message at 23:47 on Sep 11, 2017

Cpt. Mahatma Gandhi
Mar 26, 2005

fridge corn posted:

wow my post has been turned into a substitution meme. im flattered really. this must be what being published feels like #blessed

Good artists copy, great artists steal

Cpt. Mahatma Gandhi
Mar 26, 2005

Burkion posted:

So I'm conflicted on this.

I am very, very serious about trying to get my project published, and I want to get it as good as I can possibly take it.

Should I just keep posting chapters as I get them done to my thread? Get proper critiques from people that bother to look them over?

I should be able to remove them later on if it, hopefully!, becomes an issue. but I'm not sure anyone would really want that. I think I'm on the right track but I am so loving in my own headspace with the story it's kind of hard to say for certain.

You would definitely need to scrub them from these forums before getting anything actually published, should you ever reach that point. People have had to edit out TD entries once they've started shopping them around.

Cpt. Mahatma Gandhi
Mar 26, 2005

What do you do for a living where you're able to write a 95k word novel in less than a month? I know a few professional authors irl and even they don't churn novels out that quick, much less revisions/rewrites.

Basically I'm jealous

Cpt. Mahatma Gandhi
Mar 26, 2005

The only person who reads my first drafts of anything is my wife because she's a brutal critic and can cut through a lot of my bullshit.

Cpt. Mahatma Gandhi
Mar 26, 2005

I'll typically read through a first draft twice: once in either hard copy or kindle (doing much more of the latter these days, which saves boatloads of both literal and monetary paper), looking for big story problems, changes, corrections etc. and making note of them, and then I'll read it again in a word processor for a more refined line edit. I consider the end result of both these reads and edits the second draft, which is what I'll hand out to beta readers. From then on its almost exclusively word processor edits until I get near the end, when I'll start reading hard copy/kindle again to get a feel for how everything's coming together.

Cpt. Mahatma Gandhi
Mar 26, 2005

Honestly, you just gotta let that go. If it’s written well and the story draws people in, no one’s going to say, “oh but this world is pretty similar to this other world I read in this other story, therefore gently caress this hack writer.”

Cpt. Mahatma Gandhi
Mar 26, 2005

Dadbod Apocalypse posted:

I just want to know if there’s a way to check if something has been done before

Read every story/novel ever written

Cpt. Mahatma Gandhi
Mar 26, 2005

Get savaged by TD judges until, “Thanks for giving us the chance to read X but we’re afraid it’s not right for us,” rolls off you like :snoop:

Cpt. Mahatma Gandhi
Mar 26, 2005

The Sean posted:

Conversely: when is using a mirror good?

How else am I going to know if my fedora is askew just so?

Cpt. Mahatma Gandhi
Mar 26, 2005

Naerasa posted:

Don't sweat the degree. I got a creative writing undergrad degree and very little about it actually helped me. True, some of that was because I was 19 years old and thought the most important thing in my life was raiding Molten Core, but I've found over the years that there's far more to be learned from reading a lot than there is from any clasroom. Besides, most of what you learn in creative writing programs is literary short stories, anyway. If you're interested in anything long-form or anything genre, the amount of practice you're going to get there is extremely limited.

Yeah, this. Look up some of your favorite authors on wiki and I think you'll be surprised by how many of them studied something other than writing and/or English.

Cpt. Mahatma Gandhi
Mar 26, 2005

Finish first, then fix it in the rewrite. They don't call it a second draft for nothing!

Cpt. Mahatma Gandhi
Mar 26, 2005

Honestly the only hard and fast rule of writing (imo) is experiment, experiment, experiment until you find the process that takes you to a finished product. The worst thing you can do is read a writing book and go, "okay this is the proper way to write a story," and then never deviate from that path if it fails to produce meaningful results. If a certain process outlined in a book or blog or whatever isn't getting you to the end, adjust that process until it works.

Cpt. Mahatma Gandhi
Mar 26, 2005

I agree with the notion that bold and underline should never be used, and italics only sparingly. To that end, though, underlines should be utilized in drafts to denote lines that are meant to be italicized. Or at least that’s was Standard Manuscript Formatting suggested 15 or so years ago when I actually made writing a serious hobby. Not sure if that’s changed these days.

Edit: actually, looks like that is an outdated practice and italics is generally acceptable in manuscripts now. The more you know!

Cpt. Mahatma Gandhi fucked around with this message at 13:42 on Jul 30, 2023

Cpt. Mahatma Gandhi
Mar 26, 2005

I still run most of what I write through Grammarly to find any obvious grammatical or spelling errors I miss (ah, the joys of speeding through first drafts). Occasionally it'll even suggest something that makes a sentence flow better, though that's pretty rare.

Still, Grammarly is not a replacement for a good set of eyes, be they a professional editor or some trusted beta readers. That's probably stating the obvious for most people in this thread, though.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cpt. Mahatma Gandhi
Mar 26, 2005

Yeah, I’ve never really understood the “80-110k for debut fantasy/sci fi” idea since I feel like half the debut genre novels I see in bookstores are very obviously longer than that.