Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

as a person who never leaves my house i've done pretty well for myself.

Brainiac Five posted:

So how hard does your dick get at the thought of someone screaming as they're slowly burned to death by thermite? Or of delayed-burst bombs, designed to kill firefighters and EMTs?

It’s comforting to believe that things you consider immoral are also ineffective, and that only truly bad people would do such things. Perhaps they even derive sexual pleasure from their wicked acts.

There is no need to fret about breaking a few eggs to make an omelette if the best omelettes are actually made from soya beans.

In reality, the expedient and the ethical are not always so neatly allied. Sometimes people have to make value judgements.

Not you, though. You can sleep like a baby, secure in the knowledge that everything is black and white and you hold the objectively correct position.

Platystemon fucked around with this message at 12:11 on Feb 14, 2017

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Brainiac Five
Mar 28, 2016

by FactsAreUseless

Randarkman posted:

In order for a defensive measure to be necessary there has to be a credible threat to defend against. Heavy bombers with empty bomb bays and dropping propaganda leaflets are NOT a threat and would have been both a laughing stock, a source of nazi propaganda, and terrible for Allied morale (both civilians reading about it and air crews flying to Germany just to be shot at without offensive weapons).

Tying up air defenses was never the stated goal of the strategic combing campaign. It just so happens that it did because, hey, the Germans did view the bombings of cities as enough of a threat that they had to attempt to defend themselves from it. Bomber Harris and others exaggerated the impact their campaign had on ending the war, but don't discard it as useless, because it simply was not. Terrible, yes, but that was kind of the point, evil as it may sound.

As for the record. The Soviets weren't unappreciative of the bombing campaign, Stalin himself was pleased with photographs and reports of destroyed German cities. It also sated a wish among all the Allies that Germany deserved to be punished and feel the effects of the war she had unleashed. Now, a bombing campaign wasn't the same as opening up a new front and tying up and destroying German armies and liberating occupied countries. Something the Western Allies endeavoured to do from 1942 onwards, it just so happens that they weren't really ready for this seriously until 1944 (Africa and Italy were essentially sideshows).

Harris didn't want to to provide bombers to Overlord because he was a believer in the doctrine that strategic air power alone was enough to decide a war (which wasn't really true until the development of nuclear weapons). It probably wouldn't have mattered that much though, because precision bombing of targets was largely impossible and in a ground support role heavy bombers are pretty ill-suited. In the instances the Allies did use heavy bombers to support ground operations they mostly just created very difficult terrain for the attackers and destroyed mostly unimportant towns.

The purpose of the strategic bombing campaign was outlined as 1) winning the war and 2) shutting down German/Japanese military output. It unquestionably failed at both. The war continued until the capture of Berlin, and output increased or remained steady until the actual physical loss of access to resources. In the case of Japan, it was American submarines and aerial attacks against shipping which physically cut off access to resources, which in the end required occupying territory astride the shipping routes to finally chop them off. Even the idea that strategic bombing encouraged civilian discontent was, according to the interviews the USSBS conducted immediately the war, false for Germany (it is unanswerable for Japan because the bombing campaign began after the war was obviously lost). It actually stiffened German support for the Nazi government.

Your assumption of ignorance on my part is certainly of a piece with how many people treat the expression of dissent. No one could really think that a wasteful sideshow, morally and militarily more or less equivalent to having the SAS kidnap random German civilians to torture and murder via submarine raids, is bad on both those grounds, they must not have seen the pictures of Dresden or Tokyo! They must be a liberal pansy, unable to make the wrenching, difficult decision of burning people to death in their beds! How pitiful you are, in this inability to handle disagreement.

Also, the heavy bombers were an effective part of the operations to cut off Normandy immediately before Overlord. You got that one wrong, but in the revealing way where you admit the ineffectiveness of strategic bombing. How clumsy.

Randarkman
Jul 18, 2011

Brainiac Five posted:

The purpose of the strategic bombing campaign was outlined as 1) winning the war and 2) shutting down German/Japanese military output. It unquestionably failed at both. The war continued until the capture of Berlin, and output increased or remained steady until the actual physical loss of access to resources. In the case of Japan, it was American submarines and aerial attacks against shipping which physically cut off access to resources, which in the end required occupying territory astride the shipping routes to finally chop them off. Even the idea that strategic bombing encouraged civilian discontent was, according to the interviews the USSBS conducted immediately the war, false for Germany (it is unanswerable for Japan because the bombing campaign began after the war was obviously lost). It actually stiffened German support for the Nazi government.

Your assumption of ignorance on my part is certainly of a piece with how many people treat the expression of dissent. No one could really think that a wasteful sideshow, morally and militarily more or less equivalent to having the SAS kidnap random German civilians to torture and murder via submarine raids, is bad on both those grounds, they must not have seen the pictures of Dresden or Tokyo! They must be a liberal pansy, unable to make the wrenching, difficult decision of burning people to death in their beds! How pitiful you are, in this inability to handle disagreement.

Also, the heavy bombers were an effective part of the operations to cut off Normandy immediately before Overlord. You got that one wrong, but in the revealing way where you admit the ineffectiveness of strategic bombing. How clumsy.

I did not say that the strategic bombing campaign fulfilled its overly ambitious goals, nor did any others. I actually said that the most important thing they accomplished was actually not one of their stated goals. And regarding Overlord what I admitted was the ineffectiveness of precision strategic bombing and use of bombers against fortified urban defenders.

Someone disagreeing with you does not imply they are unable to handle dissent.

Are you able to order the killing of hundreds of thousands of civilians in war, or imagine yourself in a position where you could decide something like that? Because I certainly cannot.

e: Also if I remember correctly judging the economic impact from production numbers alone can be deceptive in the case of Germany as they were rather late in actually putting the economy on a proper total war footing. Compared to the Allies, Germany saw mostly only modest or marginal increases in production throughout the war. Though much of that has to do with there having been much more potential for expansion in military production in Britain, America and Russia.

Randarkman fucked around with this message at 14:34 on Feb 14, 2017

Brainiac Five
Mar 28, 2016

by FactsAreUseless

Randarkman posted:

I did not say that the strategic bombing campaign fulfilled its overly ambitious goals, nor did any others. I actually said that the most important thing they accomplished was actually not one of their stated goals. And regarding Overlord what I admitted was the ineffectiveness of precision strategic bombing and use of bombers against fortified urban defenders.

Someone disagreeing with you does not imply they are unable to handle dissent.

Are you able to order the killing of hundreds of thousands of civilians in war, or imagine yourself in a position where you could decide something like that? Because I certainly cannot.

So, it was an absurd sideshow of mass murder aimed at civilians. Both ineffectual and a war crime.

Someone talking down to someone else and therefore insisting that their disagreement is due to ignorance is unable to handle dissent. Sorry that you lack self-awareness.

There's nothing brave about deciding to have someone else commit mass-murder via airplane on your behalf. There's no physical or moral courage involved. Your question is, "can you imagine yourself as a worse person than you are today?" which is hardly profound.

hakimashou
Jul 15, 2002
Upset Trowel
After having all their cities bombed to rubble neither the Germans nor the Japanese started any more wars. They were not left with the impression that they'd gotten away with it.

It did take extraordinary moral courage to level whole cities.

It's like flipping the switch on death row. It's killing someone, it appears wrong on its face, but a person can take a moral leap of faith- if punishment is just, then the terrible act is right. To anyone who believes in moral judgment, this is a risk. To take the risk requires moral courage.

At any rate, as long as strategic bombing was done in good faith, which it was, then it wasn't wrong. Starting World War Two was wrong, ending it was right, no matter how many of the perpetrators were killed in the process.

It's not any different at all from what the police call an 'active shooter.' If someone is shooting up a school or a shopping mall there is no level of force against the perpetrator that is inappropriate or immoral. It's not wrong to kill him to stop him. If he surrenders then it's different.

Did we level any German cities after they'd unconditionally surrendered?

hakimashou fucked around with this message at 15:36 on Feb 14, 2017

Randarkman
Jul 18, 2011

Brainiac Five posted:

So, it was an absurd sideshow of mass murder aimed at civilians. Both ineffectual and a war crime.

Someone talking down to someone else and therefore insisting that their disagreement is due to ignorance is unable to handle dissent. Sorry that you lack self-awareness.

There's nothing brave about deciding to have someone else commit mass-murder via airplane on your behalf. There's no physical or moral courage involved. Your question is, "can you imagine yourself as a worse person than you are today?" which is hardly profound.

I'm not sure I called you ignorant or talked down to you. I very much disagreed with much of what you concluded though.

I never said it was ineffectual in terms of not having had an imapct on the war, I agree that it was less effective at achieving its pre-war goals of winning a war on its own and destroying an enemy's economy and will to fight, and that during the war the achievements in these spheres were exaggerated.

Randarkman fucked around with this message at 15:43 on Feb 14, 2017

Brainiac Five
Mar 28, 2016

by FactsAreUseless

Randarkman posted:

I'm not sure I called you ignorant or talked down to you. I very much disagreed with much of what you concluded though.

I never said it was ineffectual in terms of not having had an imapct on the war, I agree that it was less effective at achieving its pre-war goals of winning a war on its own and destroying an enemy's economy and will to fight, and that during the war the achievements in these spheres were exaggerated.

Okay, but your argument is that the most salient impact it had on the war had nothing to do with the actual bombardment, which renders the bombardments themselves militarily ineffectual war crimes, on the whole. Fairly comparable to Red Army war crimes, to be quite honest, both in the insistence on their essential morality and in the bald pretense that they were effective at anything other than a sating of bloodlust.

Flowers For Algeria
Dec 3, 2005

I humbly offer my services as forum inquisitor. There is absolutely no way I would abuse this power in any way.

hakimashou posted:

After having all their cities bombed to rubble neither the Germans nor the Japanese started any more wars. They were not left with the impression that they'd gotten away with it.
An idiotic approach. Are you advocating the firebombing of major American urban centers in order to stop America from starting new wars? Of course you're not.
Germany has not started any new wars mainly because of its integration into NATO and the EU and because it has so far remained a liberal democracy, two elements that are very good at disincentivizing wars. And also because for, like, 40 years, it was cut in half, and half of it was under Soviet control. As for Japan, Article 9 was forced upon it by the Americans. Article 9 is a very good provision, and the Japanese have naturally become very attached to it.

hakimashou posted:

It did take extraordinary moral courage to level whole cities.

It's like flipping the switch on death row. It's killing someone, it appears wrong on its face, but a person can take a moral leap of faith- if punishment is just, then the terrible act is right. To anyone who believes in moral judgment, this is a risk. To take the risk requires moral courage.
I'm pretty sure you're telling yourself that because you're fantasizing about doing it, and you'd like to paint yourself as a courageous man.
There's literally no "moral risk" if you've been able to rationalize it away.

hakimashou posted:

At any rate, as long as strategic bombing was done in good faith, which it was, then it wasn't wrong. Starting World War Two was wrong, ending it was right, no matter how many of the perpetrators were killed in the process.
Please read the thread.

hakimashou posted:

It's not any different at all from what the police call an 'active shooter.' If someone is shooting up a school or a shopping mall there is no level of force against the perpetrator that is inappropriate or immoral. It's not wrong to kill him to stop him. If he surrenders then it's different.
In your inept analogy, your argument is that it is moral to not only use overwhelming force to kill the "active shooter", even when alternate solutions exist, but also to murder his family and his friends.

Whorelord
May 1, 2013

Jump into the well...

always seemed weird that speer got 20 years but donitz only got 10

Flowers For Algeria
Dec 3, 2005

I humbly offer my services as forum inquisitor. There is absolutely no way I would abuse this power in any way.

Whorelord posted:

He had a yummy-sounding name.

Brainiac Five
Mar 28, 2016

by FactsAreUseless

Whorelord posted:

Allied admirals argued that they couldn't prosecute him for unrestricted submarine warfare when they had practiced it themselves.

The Kingfish
Oct 21, 2015

This thread is over right? Everyone agrees that Goebbels should have been hanged?

JFairfax
Oct 23, 2008

by FactsAreUseless

Flowers For Algeria posted:

An idiotic approach. Are you advocating the firebombing of major American urban centers in order to stop America from starting new wars?

now we're getting somewhere!

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

The Kingfish posted:

This thread is over right? Everyone agrees that Goebbels should have been hanged?

No, hanging Goebbels would be wrong.

He should instead have been executed via inert gas asphyxiation or lethal injection (but not with the dumb drug cocktail the U.S. currently uses).

The Kingfish
Oct 21, 2015

It's more humane to let people die quickly while they are fully conscious. Hanging or firing squad imo

Brainiac Five
Mar 28, 2016

by FactsAreUseless

The Kingfish posted:

It's more humane to let people die quickly while they are fully conscious. Hanging or firing squad imo

I bet you have a lot of experience with hanging.

JFairfax
Oct 23, 2008

by FactsAreUseless
Goebbels should have been hung drawn and quartered

JFairfax
Oct 23, 2008

by FactsAreUseless
but instead of horses he should have been pulled apart by a Rabbi, a gypsy, a homosexual and a disabled person.

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

The Kingfish posted:

Okay, let the condemned choose from a list.

But I’m going to take issue if inert gas asphyxiation isn’t an item on that list.

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

JFairfax posted:

Goebbels should have been hung drawn and quartered

If we’re going for maximum brutality, scaphism is worse, IMO.

The Kingfish
Oct 21, 2015

Platystemon posted:

Okay, let the condemned choose from a list.

But I’m going to take issue if inert gas asphyxiation isn’t an item on that list.

Sounds ok. IGA sounds worse to me because you forget that you are dying but I can see why others might prefer it. It is totally painless after all.

Ytlaya
Nov 13, 2005

I'm pretty sure you're telling yourself that because you're fantasizing about doing it, and you'd like to paint yourself as a courageous man.
There's literally no "moral risk" if you've been able to rationalize it away.

Yeah, hakimashou's posts are kinda unsettling because you can tell that he gets some sort of pleasure from the idea of leveling violent justice on people/groups who "deserve it."

It should go without saying that every single citizen of a country is not equally guilty for its actions in wartime. While there's some degree of shared guilt in a situation where the guilty government in question was elected, even then not every citizen shares blame. Some random woman trying to raise her children in poverty in Japan is not responsible for Japan's actions during WW2, and there's no justice in incinerating her with fire bombs.

Also, the idea that "good will" (which literally anyone can claim) justifies anything is completely insane and morally repulsive. I'm imagining some sort of comic book villain who kills people in order to free them from life's suffering, and then hakimashou talks about how morally courageous it is for him to be killing those people with good intentions.

hakimashou
Jul 15, 2002
Upset Trowel
When buddhism finally turns to violent fundamentalism we are all doomed.

Flowers For Algeria
Dec 3, 2005

hakimashou posted:

When buddhism finally turns to violent fundamentalism we are all doomed.

You might not be aware of it but that's already the case in several parts of Asia.

hakimashou
Jul 15, 2002
Upset Trowel

You might not be aware of it but that's already the case in several parts of Asia.

Do they kill everyone to release them from the suffering of existence Flowers For Algeria?

steinrokkan
Apr 2, 2011

Soiled Meat

Dr. Fishopolis posted:

Millions of rapes, miles behind the lines, mostly in 1945. You have zero loving clue what you're talking about.

You have any idea how loving difficult it was to herd the millions of men in the rear echelons of the Soviet Army, while ALSO commanding the front line formations of millions more, in a country severely depleted of manpower and with constant logistical problems that drew the attention of all the military talent, with an army drawing conscripts from dozens of disparate ethnicities speaking many different languages and at incredibly different levels of familiarity with the modern world? Hundreds of thousands of those conscripts were thrown from villages where they had not even seen a lightbulb in their lives to fight the greatest industrial war in history. And they were kept at the frontlines for months, if not years on end, with virtually no leave or rotation, unlike soldiers from Western Allied armies, subjected to constant stress, material destitution, and to a total, mind warping hatred of all things German for committing the worst genocide in human history. Meanwhile their commanders had the combined struggle of making their formations trudge forward against unceasing resistance, against incredible natural and man-made obstacles found in Prussia, AND of making sure they do not lose favour with Stalin and his political lackeys.

With a situation like that, a humanitarian form of war becomes impossible, the root of the problem was systemic, and impossible to fix under wartime conditions with the resources and situation the SU was dealt. Blame could be laid on Soviet political leadership for making the Red Army less institutionally capable than it could have been, but that's it.

steinrokkan fucked around with this message at 09:29 on Feb 16, 2017

suck my woke dick
Oct 10, 2012

:siren:I CANNOT EJACULATE WITHOUT SEEING NATIVE AMERICANS BRUTALISED!:siren:

Put this cum-loving slave on ignore immediately!

JFairfax posted:

now we're getting somewhere!

Given what a neonazi shithole and general embarrassment Dresden has become, the only mistake was not flattening the burnt ashes some more with nukes.

Flowers For Algeria
Dec 3, 2005

hakimashou posted:

Do they kill everyone to release them from the suffering of existence Flowers For Algeria?

That's Donald Trump's job.

Panzeh
Nov 27, 2006

"..The high ground"

Brainiac Five posted:

Allied admirals argued that they couldn't prosecute him for unrestricted submarine warfare when they had practiced it themselves.

It was Doenitz's lawyer that made the argument. He got Nimitz to write a memo that he had ordered unrestricted submarine warfare. The judges agreed not to consider it in the sentence.

As I said before, he had the best lawyer there.

stone cold
Feb 15, 2014

steinrokkan posted:

You have any idea how loving difficult it was to herd the millions of men in the rear echelons of the Soviet Army, while ALSO commanding the front line formations of millions more, in a country severely depleted of manpower and with constant logistical problems that drew the attention of all the military talent, with an army drawing conscripts from dozens of disparate ethnicities speaking many different languages and at incredibly different levels of familiarity with the modern world? Hundreds of thousands of those conscripts were thrown from villages where they had not even seen a lightbulb in their lives to fight the greatest industrial war in history. And they were kept at the frontlines for months, if not years on end, with virtually no leave or rotation, unlike soldiers from Western Allied armies, subjected to constant stress, material destitution, and to a total, mind warping hatred of all things German for committing the worst genocide in human history. Meanwhile their commanders had the combined struggle of making their formations trudge forward against unceasing resistance, against incredible natural and man-made obstacles found in Prussia, AND of making sure they do not lose favour with Stalin and his political lackeys.

With a situation like that, a humanitarian form of war becomes impossible, the root of the problem was systemic, and impossible to fix under wartime conditions with the resources and situation the SU was dealt. Blame could be laid on Soviet political leadership for making the Red Army less institutionally capable than it could have been, but that's it.

So rape is okay, because the red army was tired? Putting aside how horrifying the argument is to make that German civilian women deserved to be raped because of that, how do you then justify the mass rape of liberated Russian and Polish women?

Brainiac Five
Mar 28, 2016

by FactsAreUseless

steinrokkan posted:

This is also factually incorrect, beyond the unbelievable gall of thinking being uneducated makes you a rapist. The patterns simply do not make sense with this criminally evil set of apologetics.

JFairfax
Oct 23, 2008

by FactsAreUseless
I think the point is that even if they wanted to stop the rape of Germans by the Red Army, the Russian commanders would not have been able to for a host of organisational and logistic reasons.

Russian soldiers often had to steal boots and weapons from dead combatants as there were not enough. Your notions of a modern, well drilled, well organised army are simply not applicable to this situation.

People resorted to cannibalism at Stalingrad, the war in the east was brutal, let us not forget that the Nazis, the SS, the Eintstatz commandos destroyed whole villages, cities and wiped out the jews in Eastern Europe, the movie Come and See is set in Bellorussia for example.

The Russians inflicted on the Germans what had been done to them.

That's not to say it was right, but the Nazis behaved appallingly in Eastern Europe (understatement of the century), and also the Russians were the first to liberate the Concentration camps as well. They witnessed and experienced the full depth of the Nazi depravity.

Dr. Fishopolis
Aug 31, 2004

ROBOT

steinrokkan posted:

No army, no group of humans can accept widespread, routine rape without completely dehumanizing your opponent and everything about them. I understand that that happens in war. I could even consider an argument that it's a necessary part of war. But your argument goes further than that. You seem to think there should be no national meditation on that for the winning side. The total dehumanization and subjugation of a population that let the Nazis commit the acts they did was a horrifying war crime, but somehow an allied nation doing the exact same thing is just boys being boys.

This is a kind of moral relativism that I just can't even process. It's sociopathic.

Brainiac Five
Mar 28, 2016

by FactsAreUseless

JFairfax posted:

I think the point is that even if they wanted to stop the rape of Germans by the Red Army, the Russian commanders would not have been able to for a host of organisational and logistic reasons.

Russian soldiers often had to steal boots and weapons from dead combatants as there were not enough. Your notions of a modern, well drilled, well organised army are simply not applicable to this situation.

People resorted to cannibalism at Stalingrad, the war in the east was brutal, let us not forget that the Nazis, the SS, the Eintstatz commandos destroyed whole villages in Eastern Europe, the movie Come and See is set in Bellorussia for example.

The Russians inflicted on the Germans what had been done to them.

That's not to say it was right, but the Nazis behaved appallingly in Eastern Europe (understatement of the century), and also the Russians were the first to liberate the Concentration camps as well. They witnessed and experienced the full depth of the Nazi depravity.

Well, no, funnily enough, they didn't inflict genocide on the Germans, nor would this justify crimes against German Jewish women, Polish women, and liberated Soviet slave laborers, all of which happened with the general indifference or active support of Soviet commanders.

Also, the Red Army was quite willing to use the threat of summary execution to resolve traffic jams, and Chuikov regularly punched his staff in the face when they hosed up. The idea that the Red Army was uncontrollable, the officers supine, is apologetics for criminality.

JFairfax
Oct 23, 2008

by FactsAreUseless
Well clearly it was uncontrollable because they raped a metric gently caress ton of women.

I mean it's not like rape as a part of war has ever been out of fashion though.

hakimashou
Jul 15, 2002
Upset Trowel
It's not exactly news that the russians/communists are and always have been bad...

When the two greatest machines of human evil, the Nazi Germans and the Soviet Russians collided, it was inevitable that many terrible things would happen.

Brainiac Five
Mar 28, 2016

by FactsAreUseless

JFairfax posted:

Well clearly it was uncontrollable because they raped a metric gently caress ton of women.

I mean it's not like rape as a part of war has ever been out of fashion though.

No, the evidence suggests that officers generally either actively supported rapes or were indifferent to them, and that the only efforts to counter it systematically were halfhearted ones involving editorial shifts in Pravda and scapegoating Ilya Ehrenburg. Furthermore, the actual frontoviki, the tankists and infantry, committed crimes at a much lower rate than rear-echelon troops or occupational forces, which complicates this idea of a revenge.

JFairfax
Oct 23, 2008

by FactsAreUseless
Soldiers of every country rape if they can get away with it. This is part of war and has been since the dawn of human civilisation, and continues to be so.

stone cold
Feb 15, 2014

JFairfax posted:

Soldiers of every country rape if they can get away with it. This is part of war and has been since the dawn of human civilisation, and continues to be so.

This is pretty insanely sexist.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dr. Fishopolis
Aug 31, 2004

ROBOT

hakimashou posted:

It's not exactly news that the russians/communists are and always have been bad...

When the two greatest machines of human evil, the Nazi Germans and the Soviet Russians collided, it was inevitable that many terrible things would happen.

And yet somehow the British are A-OK in your book.

• Locked thread