Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
abraham linksys
Sep 6, 2010

:darksouls:

So, this is the weakest-looking TakeOver card NXT has had in... ever? I'm not gonna lie about that. I've mostly fallen off NXT over the past few months - between the fact that I actually watch main roster weekly now (Smackdown only ofc), I've started watching Evolve, and I'm trying to keep up with NJPW, I haven't had as much time for NXT other than keeping up with Youtube clips.

I'm still looking forward to this show tonight, though. Worst case scenario, it's just a mediocre card, but I'm sure at least one or two matches on this will make me glad I tuned in.

It's another show that will have interesting implications for the next few months, and the build to Mania & TakeOver Orlando. Will we see Nikki Cross look strong in the women's match, leading to a title shot? Will Tye finally win a match, and will this be his final match in NXT before a main roster debut? And just how much of the yearly budget for grandiose entrances will be blown on the main event? All this and more, tonight!

---

NXT Championship Match
Shinsuke Nakamura (c) vs Bobby Roode

"Fact is - Shinsuke, you have no style."

Bobby Roode's ridden a hilariously over-the-top entrance straight to the top of the card. By any rights, this should make me mad, as he's not a great wrestler, and there are many other people I'd love to see in the main event scene.

But he's here, after winning a fatal 4-way that was by far the best NXT TV match in the last few months, and I'd be lying if I said I wasn't kind of excited. Roode is a perfect foil to Nakamura - he thinks he has all of Shinsuke's swagger while he's really just the palest imitation - and I'm excited to see him get beat the gently caress up tonight.

NXT Women's Championship Match
Asuka (c) vs. Nikki Cross vs. Billie Kay vs. Peyton Royce

"We've told the world that we run the NXT women's division."

NXT's women's division continues to be really weird, with the evil Australians slowly rising through the card in tags and cheating finishes. Neither of them have a chance in hell of knocking off Asuka tonight. Nor does the tiny Nikki Cross, who has been pretty fun to watch as part of SAnitY, even if her gimmick tends to be a bit much.

I'm mostly just here for the spot where Billie Kay and Peyton Royce accidentally simultaneously clothesline each other or something and then get kicked to death. They're effective heels; I'll give them that.

NXT Tag Team Championship Match
#DIY (c) vs The Authors of Pain

"Guys who are two times our size! Animals! Monsters!"

This sure is a match, I guess! After winning the Dusty Classic, it makes sense that The Authors of Pain would get a title shot tonight. DIY seems sure to retain here, but I doubt even the likes of Ciampa and Gargano can pull a MOTY contender out of The Authors of Pain. I just hope no one in the audience gets hit a flying chain this time.

Roderick Strong vs. Andrade "Cien" Almas

The NXT men's singles midcard is low-key really stacked right now, and I think this matchup will be a display of how great the wrestlers waiting in the wings are. Roddy has been having a lot of really good matches lately versus the likes of Cien, Oney Lorcan, and even The Drifter on house shows.

There's not much story to this match - Roddy, Cien, and Oney Lorcan were all in the fatal 4-way that Bobby Roode won to get his title shot. Now, Cien has beaten Lorcan in a rematch, and wants to defeat Roddy as well. Cien's started to get into the groove as an effective heel, and I'm really excited to his skills on display tonight. This is probably the most excited I am about any match on this card.

Tye Dillinger vs. Eric Young

"What's next for Tye Dillinger? Your guess is as good as mine."

I don't know how many times I can keep writing the same paragraph about Tye Dillinger. I want him to win. As I've watched NXT I've watched him go from a bland undercard face in Full Sail to one of the most over wrestlers in all of WWE (not even counting the new ten-count). Please let Tye win, Trips. Please.

Tonight he faces Eric Young, who tried to invite him to SAnitY, and was met with a punch for his troubles. Rather rude of Tye tbqh, but after a beatdown from the rest of the team, including new arrival Killian Dain (FKA Big Damo), he's looking for his revenge.

Will tonight be his breakout win? Maybe. But more likely, he'll put Eric Young over on the way out to a Royal Rumble debut tomorrow. I'll be simultaneously happy and sad if that happens, since that means I'll finally have to start watching Superstars/Main Event (which I really meant to do once Breezeango became a thing, but never got around to).

---

TakeOver is at 8pm ET/5pm PT tonight, with the preshow starting an hour earlier. In addition to Charly Caruso and Corey Graves, the preshow will be cohosted by none other than Nigel McGuinness! So that's something.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Basic Chunnel
Sep 21, 2010

Jesus! Jesus Christ! Say his name! Jesus! Jesus! Come down now!

I'm sort of expecting the Tye / Young match to be a means of getting Damo over as a heel.

My hope is that Almas will win his match and get bumped up to be Nakamura's next challenger (if Nakamura doesn't drop and signal to the whole world that he's moving up). Nakamura / Almas is pretty much the only matchup in NXT that could draw my attention these days, given how shiftless the storytelling's become. So much of wrestling is rooting for guys to get a spot they're not anointed for, and most guys on the roster are now anointed (which hurts them, because where are they supposed to go?). Right now, the only guy I'm rooting for is Almas.

I also want Asuka to go away. She's the lady Hogan and they can't decide what her alignment is.

*e wow, first reply in 45 mins. Still better than a TNA GDT, but yeesh.

Benne
Sep 2, 2011

STOP DOING HEROIN
Roddy/Almas has show-stealing potential. Other than that, this whole card just feels like a placeholder while they figure out what to do at Orlando.

The Aussies do absolutely nothing for me and I'd rather that match just be Asuka/Nikki.

pressedbunny
May 31, 2007

To A Brand New Galaxy
I like Asuka kicking people in the face. Nakamura and Bobby will probably have cool entrances. I look forward to everything else being absolutely fine and of an acceptable standard.

Aye Doc
Jul 19, 2007

killian fuckin dain?

J-Ro
Jul 26, 2005

Child Of The Revolution

pressedbunny posted:

I like Asuka kicking people in the face. Nakamura and Bobby will probably have cool entrances. I look forward to everything else being absolutely fine and of an acceptable standard.

Agreed. I watched this week's NXT after a few weeks of not following it at all and I'm ok with how this card is looking. I also want the Royce and Kay duo to share the title.

J-Ro fucked around with this message at 21:29 on Jan 28, 2017

SunshineDanceParty
Feb 7, 2006

One Road. Two Friends. One Ass.
Yeah I want the Australians to win just for something to happen in the women's division besides Asuka is so great. I mean she is, but it's an easy set up for an upset, and to make the weekly show better. If Asuka's staying in NXT let them win, have her chase for a bit, and Ember Moon can come in and take it before or immediately after she gets it back.

Kaveman
Jul 25, 2009

NEVER!!!

I can't wait for Nakamura and Asuka to go up to the main roster. Hopefully, then we'll be able to see some progression in the divisions instead of having big names hold the title.

I think DIY vs Authors of Pain might be a surprisingly good match, AoP are green as hell but they've improved massively since starting and DIY should be able to lead them into something good and different.

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Would you be my new best friends?

Card looks okay but this is certainly the least excited I've been for a TakeOver Show for quite some time. Asuka killing the other three ladies should be fun though!

21 Hoot Salute
Feb 8, 2005

Night-time, turn around
Lonely is the city tonight
Night-time, all around
Lonely in the city tonight

I think once pics taken inside when people start filing in start showing up will start to get me hype. Fun bunch of matches tonight I hope with a (please be) nuclear crowd as NXT usually brings

e: Awesome OP as usual abraham linksys

21 Hoot Salute fucked around with this message at 22:53 on Jan 28, 2017

Venomous
Nov 7, 2011

Oh, Christ, I completely forgot about this. Urgh. I hope it's good, I guess.

Balls to the Mall
Feb 11, 2011

Kinda disappointing for it to be yet another trump av.

:wom:
Kay and Royce should rock, paper, scissors to decide who pins the other for the championship.

21 Hoot Salute
Feb 8, 2005

Night-time, turn around
Night-time, all around

Neurotic Roleplay
May 20, 2005

i havent watched nxt since the special in november. how annoying is the crowd gonna be tonight?

Tweak
Jul 28, 2003

or dont whatever

It isn't at full sail so less than usual, I guess?

RacistGuidingLight
Apr 5, 2009

by FactsAreUseless
I'm gonna whoop your rear end, op.

Go RV!
Jun 19, 2008

Uglier on the inside.

this show is gonna be super good, and I'm excited as always for a quality card

21 Hoot Salute
Feb 8, 2005

Night-time, turn around
Night-time, all around

Get hype

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=etIQag9WWF0

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Am_P-TgMH5g

21 Hoot Salute
Feb 8, 2005

Night-time, turn around
Night-time, all around

Tyler Bate has arrived in San Antonio :swoon:

RealFoxy
May 11, 2011

I'm not making a fucking QCS thread for this but seriously can we take a harder stance on Kiwifarms freaks like this guy, Jesus Christ seriously, you used to be better at knocking these creeps down. I guess ADTRW mods aren't responsible like GBS mods are.
I got to see Kana whoop Jessie McKay in Kana's US debut now I get to see it again :allears:

MysticalMachineGun
Apr 5, 2005

I think Roode takes the title via shenanigans so Nakamura can move up post mandatory rematch.

This is going to sound weird but after dominant heel Joe and arse-kicking face Nakamura NXT could use a weaselly heel champ for something different.

Go RV!
Jun 19, 2008

Uglier on the inside.

MysticalMachineGun posted:

I think Roode takes the title via shenanigans so Nakamura can move up post mandatory rematch.

This is going to sound weird but after dominant heel Joe and arse-kicking face Nakamura NXT could use a weaselly heel champ for something different.

I'd totally agree with this if Joe didn't just take the title from Nakamura just last Takeover.

MysticalMachineGun
Apr 5, 2005

Go RV! posted:

I'd totally agree with this if Joe didn't just take the title from Nakamura just last Takeover.

Oh crap I forgot

21 Hoot Salute
Feb 8, 2005

Night-time, turn around
Night-time, all around

Nigel regular NXT announcer :swoon: :swoon: :swoon:

tecnocrat
Oct 5, 2003
Struggling to keep his sanity.

Wow, this was unexpected.

Also, good on Graves for getting a bigger role!

SilverMike
Sep 17, 2007

TBD

Sad to see Young Boy Tom break up with Graves, but goddamn if Nigel isn't a good replacement.

MysticalMachineGun
Apr 5, 2005

As long as McGuiness hangs poo poo on the Drifter I'm on board with this

21 Hoot Salute
Feb 8, 2005

Night-time, turn around
Night-time, all around

Paul Ellering owns so much

21 Hoot Salute
Feb 8, 2005

Night-time, turn around
Night-time, all around

That Ember Moon segment was uncomfortably awkward

Truther Vandross
Jun 17, 2008

Hahahahaha VOTER FRAUD!

DeNomolos
Jan 10, 2013

mild mannered meatspin historian
peyton royce and billie kay were always good

pressedbunny
May 31, 2007

To A Brand New Galaxy

ChuckDeNomolos posted:

peyton royce and billie kay were always good
They really were not, but they are Recently Improving.

Psychepath
Apr 30, 2003
Nigel and Graves have some incredible deadpan chemistry, it's too bad one's replacing the other.

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Would you be my new best friends?

Digging Nigel on the commentary booth. It was kinda hilarious when he was making a point and you could see Corey Graves desperately wanting to interject, and right at the very end Nigel turns to Ember and says,"And your thoughts?"

RealFoxy
May 11, 2011

I'm not making a fucking QCS thread for this but seriously can we take a harder stance on Kiwifarms freaks like this guy, Jesus Christ seriously, you used to be better at knocking these creeps down. I guess ADTRW mods aren't responsible like GBS mods are.
The Ember Moon thing was painfully awkward. Either over-scripted or she just isn't comfortable in front of a camera yet

pressedbunny
May 31, 2007

To A Brand New Galaxy
Why would they not get Goldust for that KFC ad

WrasslorMonkey
Mar 5, 2012

People are excited!

shiksa
Nov 9, 2009

i went to one of these wrestling shows and it was... honestly? frickin boring. i wanna see ricky! i want to see his gold chains and respect for the ftw lifestyle

pressedbunny posted:

Why would they not get Goldust for that KFC ad

preferably old goldust and he tries loving the chicken

Panamaniac
Jun 18, 2007

HEROES NEVER DIE
I did not even realize this was a show that was happening.
I guess I'll watch it then in the hopes that I don't pass out soon.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

jesus WEP
Oct 17, 2004

evening lads

• Locked thread