Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Troxartas
Jan 13, 2007

The Old Warhorse
Got home late and was skipping all the in-between match stuff, was anyone of note shown ringside?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Lid
Feb 18, 2005

And the mercy seat is awaiting,
And I think my head is burning,
And in a way I'm yearning,
To be done with all this measuring of proof.
An eye for an eye
And a tooth for a tooth,
And anyway I told the truth,
And I'm not afraid to die.

Dangerous Person posted:

Yeah, true

I just want to see as much cool people in the Rumble tomorrow

sorry one caveat to that: RUSEV debuted in a Rumble but unlike KENTA or Nakaura he's loving Rusev and looks enormous so it's bvelievable he could get kicked out of a Rumble fine

AJ did debut too, but that was high risk and luckily they realised having him booted by Kevin Owens was the only heel the crowd would not hate viscerally for it

Mulaney Power Move
Dec 30, 2004

roode doesn't really do anything for me, but anyone who uses a ddt as a finish these days instead of just a transition movie is ok in my book

The Lore Bear
Jan 21, 2014

I don't know what to put here. Guys? GUYS?!

SunshineDanceParty posted:

Joe and Tye should be the debuts tomorrow. Tye's ceiling is Zach Ryder, but a debut at 10 and knocking a guy out will be enough.

Yeah, give him his midcard run with a good Rumble showing, either through getting a few solo eliminations or just staying alive in the match for a while, then work him around some other midcarders on one of the two shows. He'll be catchphrase over and you'll get :10bux:.

Lid
Feb 18, 2005

And the mercy seat is awaiting,
And I think my head is burning,
And in a way I'm yearning,
To be done with all this measuring of proof.
An eye for an eye
And a tooth for a tooth,
And anyway I told the truth,
And I'm not afraid to die.

Benne posted:

IIRC TNA and NJPW used to have a working relationship until they hosed up Okada

there is a conspiracy theory that they sent him there on purpose knowing they'd gently caress him over and gently caress him up to destroy his ego so that when they did push him he wouldn't become big headed about it

Dangerous Person
Apr 4, 2011

Not dead yet

Lid posted:

sorry one caveat to that: RUSEV debuted in a Rumble but unlike KENTA or Nakaura he's loving Rusev and looks enormous so it's bvelievable he could get kicked out of a Rumble fine

AJ did debut too, but that was high risk and luckily they realised having him booted by Kevin Owens was the only heel the crowd would not hate viscerally for it

Bro why you gotta break my dreams and poo poo

Mulaney Power Move
Dec 30, 2004

my only problem with tye debuting in the rumble is the possibility that instead of counting down for every following entrant, the crowd will just chant ten over and over.

shiksa
Nov 9, 2009

i went to one of these wrestling shows and it was... honestly? frickin boring. i wanna see ricky! i want to see his gold chains and respect for the ftw lifestyle

SunshineDanceParty posted:

Joe and Tye should be the debuts tomorrow. Tye's ceiling is Zach Ryder, but a debut at 10 and knocking a guy out will be enough.

i dont think anyone has illusions of tye being a top guy, but he's incredibly solid, whether in nxt or wwe. might as well let him get some wwe ppv checks since he's so incredibly organically over.

Jaragoh
Nov 27, 2004

Lid posted:

having a guy randomly appear in a rumble as a debut

and then have them lose

weakens their debut significantly

see: KENTA

AJ debuted last year in the Rumble.

e: Bah saw your other post. I still don't think it would hurt Nakamura to be in it as a debut. There are enough big names in this Rumble anyways that his elimination by Goldberg, Undertaker, or Brock would be reasonable.

Jaragoh fucked around with this message at 04:47 on Jan 29, 2017

Blaise330
Aug 13, 2007

GOD'S FAVORITE CHAMPION

Mulaney Power Move posted:

my only problem with tye debuting in the rumble is the possibility that instead of counting down for every following entrant, the crowd will just chant ten over and over.

Worst case scenario, Tye doesn't debut and they still do it anyway.

Blasmeister
Jan 15, 2012

2Time TRP Sack Race Champion

Troxartas posted:

Got home late and was skipping all the in-between match stuff, was anyone of note shown ringside?

Michael "P.S." Hayes

(also Samoa Joe and Uk champ Tyler Bate, but they're not as notable)

Blasmeister fucked around with this message at 04:51 on Jan 29, 2017

remusclaw
Dec 8, 2009

Jaragoh posted:

AJ debuted last year in the Rumble.

e: Bah saw your other post. I still don't think it would hurt Nakamura to be in it as a debut. There are enough big names in this Rumble anyways that his elimination by Goldberg, Undertaker, or Brock would be reasonable.

It would be a big loving risk, and due to how conservative WWE is, it will never happen, but one day I would love to see a hot debut at the Rumble that ends with a complete surprise win by the new guy.

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Would you be my new best friends?

Benne posted:

IIRC TNA and NJPW used to have a working relationship until they hosed up Okada

Looking at Okada now, it seems almost impossible that anybody could gently caress him up. But like life, TNA finds a way.

im cute
Sep 21, 2009

Just popping in to say I'm watching Royal Rumble 5 and it's very cool.

Jerusalem posted:

Looking at Okada now, it seems almost impossible that anybody could gently caress him up. But like life, TNA finds a way.

Makes me mad just thinkin about it

Eltoasto
Aug 26, 2002

We come spinning out of nothingness, scattering stars like dust.

I expected the show to be well worked but unexciting, and it exceeded that. It wasn't GREAT, and it fits on the low end of Takeover ranks, but it was an enjoyable watch. Tag match and main event were really good, Seth was really good, and the women's match served it's purpose well. I am hyped as gently caress for the Nikki vs. Asuka match I assume is coming next Takeover. Not sure where the men's division sits now, Nakamura will get his rematch but the division is poised for someone to break out and climb the ladder, but I don't see that person. Maybe Roddy Strong? Not sure how much I like that.

The Lore Bear
Jan 21, 2014

I don't know what to put here. Guys? GUYS?!

Blaise330 posted:

Worst case scenario, Tye doesn't debut and they still do it anyway.

Yeah, unless they have The Miz or someone come out to Dillinger's music, the crowd will probably start doing it anyways. Give Dillinger a solid run and he'll be a go-to midcarder who's always over. You'll need a new Zach Ryder when Mojo Rawley accidentally kills him by high-fiving him in the jaw or something.

But yeah, show was good but it's not going to be very fondly remembered or anything. It may be the first time in a while that the WWE PPV is more exciting and fun than the Takeover before it. Then again, we've had some bizarrely bad Rumbles recently.

GEORGE W BUSHI
Jul 1, 2012

remusclaw posted:

It would be a big loving risk, and due to how conservative WWE is, it will never happen, but one day I would love to see a hot debut at the Rumble that ends with a complete surprise win by the new guy.

Samoa Joe is my genuine pick to win. I'm calling Joe/Cena as the WWE title match for Mania.

Rogue Copter Pilot
Apr 12, 2005

a dead whale or a stove boat

thelazyblank posted:

Yeah, unless they have The Miz or someone come out to Dillinger's music, the crowd will probably start doing it anyways. Give Dillinger a solid run and he'll be a go-to midcarder who's always over. You'll need a new Zach Ryder when Mojo Rawley accidentally kills him by high-fiving him in the jaw or something.

But yeah, show was good but it's not going to be very fondly remembered or anything. It may be the first time in a while that the WWE PPV is more exciting and fun than the Takeover before it. Then again, we've had some bizarrely bad Rumbles recently.

If The Miz comes out to any music but his own it should be Daniel Bryan's. But do it at #10 and you'll get the desired effect.

Tweak
Jul 28, 2003

or dont whatever

lmao i'm just now reading about how if billie and peyton really didn't care which of them held the title, one of them could have just pinned the other while nikki and asuka were dead outside the ring

Tweak fucked around with this message at 05:31 on Jan 29, 2017

Julio Cruz
May 19, 2006

remusclaw posted:

The problem is that a lot of the casual fans aren't going to recognize anyone who isn't already a regular on Raw or Smackdown, which means that you've got a maximum of 60 minutes to get the guy over enough that the crowd buys the win and will pop for it. You'd need a guy whose offence is interesting and different, who looks like he could realistically pick up 7 or 8 eliminations, and who can go an hour without spending half of that time having a Roman-esque nap on the floor. Joe and Hero could do it, and maybe Omega, but I don't know who else could.

Chinston Wurchill
Jun 27, 2010

It's not that kind of test.

Eltoasto posted:

Not sure where the men's division sits now, Nakamura will get his rematch but the division is poised for someone to break out and climb the ladder, but I don't see that person. Maybe Roddy Strong? Not sure how much I like that.

I figure Roddy challenges unsuccessfully to kill time while building someone else up (Jose?) or Ohno gets a shot.

Wiccan Wasteland
Oct 15, 2012

Jerusalem posted:

Holy poo poo, Sanada is going to be the next big thing in NJPW.

Capsaicin
Nov 17, 2004

broof roof roof
When was the last time an NXT champion was not undefeated before winning the title? Sami?

Edit: Joe lost to Finn twice before becoming champ at a house show.

Capsaicin fucked around with this message at 06:06 on Jan 29, 2017

remusclaw
Dec 8, 2009

Wiccan Wasteland posted:

Sanada is, no poo poo, awesome in NJPW.

remusclaw
Dec 8, 2009

Julio Cruz posted:

The problem is that a lot of the casual fans aren't going to recognize anyone who isn't already a regular on Raw or Smackdown, which means that you've got a maximum of 60 minutes to get the guy over enough that the crowd buys the win and will pop for it. You'd need a guy whose offence is interesting and different, who looks like he could realistically pick up 7 or 8 eliminations, and who can go an hour without spending half of that time having a Roman-esque nap on the floor. Joe and Hero could do it, and maybe Omega, but I don't know who else could.

AJ could have done it last year, but they weren't sold on AJ yet, as seen with his "Pitbull" run up until they understood what they had. That I think is the biggest obstacle, debuting a guy, in the Rumble, who already has Vince and co sold on him.

Bard Maddox
Feb 15, 2012

I'm just a sick guy, I'm really just a dirty guy.
Bobby Roode is incredibly boring as hell but the Double Hoganplex was cool. I don't remember anything else about this show

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Would you be my new best friends?

Wiccan Wasteland posted:

Was Sanada in TNA too? And did they gently caress him up there as well? Because in NJPW from the very first second I saw him I thought,"Wow that guy is a star" so it would be hilarious if TNA screwed that up too.

Troxartas
Jan 13, 2007

The Old Warhorse

Blasmeister posted:

Michael "P.S." Hayes

(also Samoa Joe and Uk champ Tyler Bate, but they're not as notable)

Wow, all the stars. (Thanks)

Capsaicin
Nov 17, 2004

broof roof roof

Jerusalem posted:

Was Sanada in TNA too? And did they gently caress him up there as well? Because in NJPW from the very first second I saw him I thought,"Wow that guy is a star" so it would be hilarious if TNA screwed that up too.

He was, but he was actually kinda pushed. Won the X title a few times, and was in a heel stable with James Storm and Abyss if I remember right.

Dangerous Person
Apr 4, 2011

Not dead yet
Women's match was my favorite match of the night. It set up Asuka vs Nikki very nicely and their inevitable Takeover match will own

Basic Chunnel
Sep 21, 2010

Jesus! Jesus Christ! Say his name! Jesus! Jesus! Come down now!

Capsaicin posted:

He was, but he was actually kinda pushed. Won the X title a few times, and was in a heel stable with James Storm and Abyss if I remember right.
He was brought over via a working agreement with Keiji Mutoh's Wrestle-1 vanity promotion and as such, was given an overt Great Muta gimmick as the Great Sanada, with facepaint and mist and everything, that apparently was part of a rivalry with Muta that blew off at the W1-hosted Bound For Glory. I think that might have been the last one before the bottom fell out of the roster.

DLC Inc
Jun 1, 2011

ppv was pretty good. thought the main event exceeded expectations even if the doctor poo poo was stretched too thin. that being said there's a chance the Rumble will break the streak and be better than this NXT ppv but who knows

Under the vegetable
Nov 2, 2004

by Smythe

bradzilla posted:

I doubt Nakamura's main roster debut is tomorrow night, sorry guys

probably monday or tuesday yeah

DeNomolos
Jan 10, 2013

mild mannered meatspin historian
gonna need someone to recut the sanity entrance to "The Boys Are Back In Town"

That DICK!
Sep 28, 2010

I liked the women's match too. Billie and Peyton are adorable and while not technical masterminds their act is different enough to provide for a different element than you're used to in matches. Also they're both my girlfriends.

Taffy Torpedo
Feb 2, 2008

...Can we have the radio?

Basic Chunnel posted:

He was brought over via a working agreement with Keiji Mutoh's Wrestle-1 vanity promotion and as such, was given an overt Great Muta gimmick as the Great Sanada, with facepaint and mist and everything, that apparently was part of a rivalry with Muta that blew off at the W1-hosted Bound For Glory. I think that might have been the last one before the bottom fell out of the roster.

Was that when they taped him losing the title for an episode that would air after the ppv, and W1 refused to say that the match was for the belt or something?

DeathChicken
Jul 9, 2012

Nonsense. I have not yet begun to defile myself.

I dug Nikki waking up to see Asuka won and giving a "Go you" smile

reach42
May 20, 2008

Satan is my lord
Bribe officials and kill goats
Hail Satan, Go Hawks
Kinda wish they'd had Joe go after Seth Rollins instead of a bunch of nameless security guards. Could've furthered the Rollins-HHH feud while giving Samoa Joe a feud & angle in a time where he's sorta motionless.

Eltoasto
Aug 26, 2002

We come spinning out of nothingness, scattering stars like dust.

That wouldn't make sense with Joe winning the rumble tomorrow.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

DeNomolos
Jan 10, 2013

mild mannered meatspin historian
time to be the change i want to see in this world

https://streamable.com/jteow

• Locked thread