Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Mao Zedong Thot
Oct 16, 2008

The SituAsian posted:

Counterpoint: Manny getting knocked out by Mike Alvarado would be the greatest thing ever

:thunk: checks out

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cigar Aficionado
Nov 1, 2004

"Patel"? Fuck you.
2018 is really shaping up nicely. We could get Golovkin-Canelo 2 (signed), Usyk-Gassiev (signed), Joshua-Wilder (rumoured), Lomachenko-Pacquiao (rumoured), and potentially even Thurman-Spence. Those are 5 of the biggest fights that can be made in boxing. Plus, we should see a unified super middleweight champ with talks of Gilberto Ramirez fighting the WBSS 168 lb winner, very interesting 154 and 175 lb divisions, Terence Crawford's new campaign at welterweight, and Tyson Fury and Andre Ward potentially returning. There's a lot to look forward to.

Cigar Aficionado fucked around with this message at 07:09 on Feb 12, 2018

Marching Powder
Mar 8, 2008

stop the fucking fight, cornerman, your dude is fucking done and is about to be killed.

Cigar Aficionado posted:

2018 is really shaping up nicely. We could get Golovkin-Canelo 2 (signed), Usyk-Gassiev (signed), Joshua-Wilder (rumoured), Lomachenko-Pacquiao (rumoured), and potentially even Thurman-Spence. Those are 5 of the biggest fights that can be made in boxing. Plus, we should see a unified super middleweight champ with talks of Gilberto Ramirez fighting the WBSS 168 lb winner, very interesting 154 and 175 lb divisions, Terence Crawford's new campaign at welterweight, and Tyson Fury and Andre Ward potentially returning. There's a lot to look forward to.

Floyd retiring is the best thing that has happened to boxing so far this millennium.

Marching Powder
Mar 8, 2008

stop the fucking fight, cornerman, your dude is fucking done and is about to be killed.

The SituAsian
Oct 29, 2006

I'm a mess in distress
But we're still the best dressed

The SituAsian posted:

-After Adrien Broner loses to Omar Figueroa this spring he does something that puts him in jail for 5+ years and never boxes again.

Getting warmer (Broner was arrested for allegedly grabbing some woman's vag at a Louis Vuitton store in Atlanta)

https://www.instagram.com/p/BfJZmRQlzjw/

Edit: And Figueroa is facing DUI charge. Perhaps they'll fight bareknuckle in a prison yard

https://twitter.com/danrafaelespn/status/963507800767942656

The SituAsian fucked around with this message at 22:28 on Feb 13, 2018

kimbo305
Jun 9, 2007

actually, yeah, I am a little mad
Have any of you Brits heard of this?
https://www.vice.com/en_us/article/59wjq8/learn-to-spot-the-secret-signals-of-far-right-fashion
Apparently Lonsdale has become a neo-nazi brand?

Lionel Richie
Nov 14, 2004

It's a continental European thing I think, it doesn't really have that reputation here. I first heard of it when my cousin told me after he went away to Amsterdam; he was wearing a Lonsdale t-shirt and went into a bar, and a black dude came up to him and was like "what you wearing that poo poo for". My cousin was obviously a bit wtf, but it was all civil in the end, with them explaining any confusion to each other. This must've been about 20 years ago.

Jack B Nimble
Dec 25, 2007

Soiled Meat
Watching every Pac Man fight in order is going well, I've learned a lot. For instance, before undertaking this I had no idea that the Manny Pacquiao who fought Floyd Mayweather was, in fact, a ghost. It's true: apparently Juan Manuel Marquez killed him in the last second of their last fight.

Peggotty
May 9, 2014

kimbo305 posted:

Have any of you Brits heard of this?
https://www.vice.com/en_us/article/59wjq8/learn-to-spot-the-secret-signals-of-far-right-fashion
Apparently Lonsdale has become a neo-nazi brand?

Long ago. Lots of british brands were popular with Neo-Nazis in continental Europe (especially Germany) because that's where the skinhead subculture and aesthetic was from and a few of them had some added bones like the "NSDA" in Lonsdale or the red-white-black stripes on Fred Perry polos, but most of these brands actively fought that association, Lonsdale had the "Lonsdale loves all colours" campaign and started sponsoring a bunch of cool things like pride parades or migrant football clubs in Germany. That lead to the Nazis starting their own clothing brands (one of them is is a Lonsdale knockoff called "Consdaple"...) and the skinhead look isn't that important for them anymore anyway.

The SituAsian
Oct 29, 2006

I'm a mess in distress

Jack B Nimble posted:

Watching every Pac Man fight in order is going well, I've learned a lot. For instance, before undertaking this I had no idea that the Manny Pacquiao who fought Floyd Mayweather was, in fact, a ghost. It's true: apparently Juan Manuel Marquez killed him in the last second of their last fight.

Aside from getting old And wanting to do politics/basketball Pac definitely lost his edge when he became born again. Jinkee supposedly threatened to leave him on the day of the third Marquez fight

https://www.google.com/amp/s/www.ya...el-marquez.html

Jack B Nimble
Dec 25, 2007

Soiled Meat
Great article thanks. Ouch though: "When the fight ended and Pacquiao was being stitched, Jinkee sat with her husband and several of her friends read Bible verses aloud. Most of them had to do with infidelity"

The SituAsian
Oct 29, 2006

I'm a mess in distress
So pumped for tomorrow. Rooting for St George so he can get knocked out in the WBSS final by Callum Smith in front of 80000 screaming fans at *checks Wikipedia page of English Soccer Stadiums* Emirates Stadium

thehappyprince
Apr 4, 2006

Alastair Cock

i too would love george to win but i fear he won't

Monday Bandele
Apr 26, 2008
Isn't Young Christopher coming up in weight and training himself? Those are always bad signs

Gay Horney
Feb 10, 2013

by Reene
I can't find the boxing on ESPN thread but this Moses v Beltran bout is turning out to be quite cool

The SituAsian
Oct 29, 2006

I'm a mess in distress

Gay Horney posted:

I can't find the boxing on ESPN thread but this Moses v Beltran bout is turning out to be quite cool

Yeah. sorry about that. Just kind let it die on the vine after Loma-Rigo; maybe I'll make a new one for 2018. Right about this fight being great though and when there's infighting its especially great

EDIT: Close fight but a narrow Beltran decision sounds right given how he started and closed the show. Also have to be heartless to not feel really good for him to finally win a major belt after so long.

The SituAsian fucked around with this message at 05:39 on Feb 17, 2018

Jump King
Aug 10, 2011

Monday Bandele posted:

Isn't Young Christopher coming up in weight and training himself? Those are always bad signs

He does still have a trainer he works with, but it's the guy who trained his dad, he's older and says that he doesn't do as much as he did before. Jr claims that he does it all himself but I'm sure he has people in his camp he works with.

He was also apparently pretty big for middleweight and his camp has been talking about moving up since 2014. He's now had 3 fights at 168 within the past year so it's not like he's coming into this fight cold or anything.

The SituAsian
Oct 29, 2006

I'm a mess in distress
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pevFEnzMshU

Groves-Eubank Jr happening now

Lionel Richie
Nov 14, 2004

Not a good night for Eubank Jr so far

Monday Bandele
Apr 26, 2008
Groves is so fragile. He's outclassing Eubank and has him cut yet you still feel he could get sparked at any moment.

Jump King
Aug 10, 2011

lmfao at Eubank's ridiculously wide windmills

Triticum Guzzler
Jun 16, 2002
the miss wildly with a lead left hook -> punch groves in the elbow -> disappoint dad combo hasn't worked so far, but round 11 is its time for sure

Jump King
Aug 10, 2011

Triticum Guzzler posted:

the miss wildly with a lead left hook -> punch groves in the elbow -> disappoint dad combo hasn't worked so far, but round 11 is its time for sure

He added getting slammed with a right in there.

Triticum Guzzler
Jun 16, 2002
ref has earned a daz sponsorship imo

Monday Bandele
Apr 26, 2008
looks like Groves dislocated his shoulder in that last round

Jump King
Aug 10, 2011

Eubank looked undisciplined, shooting punches wide by a country mile and getting outboxed on the outside or smothering his own work and getting outfought on the inside.

The ref looked like a butcher by the end of the fight.

Jump King
Aug 10, 2011

MMM Whatchya Say posted:

Eubank looked undisciplined

Guess that "I'll train myself" thing didn't work out all that well

Bardeh
Dec 2, 2004

Fun Shoe
christ prince naseem is chunky af

E: also he's a terrible and unprofessional commentator lol, how many pints has he had

Bardeh fucked around with this message at 00:38 on Feb 18, 2018

Jose
Jul 24, 2007

Adrian Chiles is a broadcaster and writer
i thought i read someone posting that groves would win on points and now i can't find it :psyduck:

just pop the shoulder back in and stop using that arm imo though

bessantj
Jul 27, 2004

Ha ha Kevin Mitchell reckons Eubank jr won on points:

quote:

From this vantage point at ringside, the first semi-final was closer than two of the three judges reckoned. Howard Foster scored it 117-112 and Steve Gray had 116-112, both for the winner, while Marcus McDonnell’s card of 115-113 for Groves was closer to many estimates. The Observer gave Eubank six rounds, Groves five, with one even, or 115-114 in favour of the Brighton fighter.

thehappyprince
Apr 4, 2006

Alastair Cock

makes sense he'd write for the observer tbh

Josuke Higashikata
Mar 7, 2013

Jose posted:

i thought i read someone posting that groves would win on points and now i can't find it :psyduck:

just pop the shoulder back in and stop using that arm imo though

I didn't post because I had no idea this fight was happening until Thursday this week and it's easy to say this now the fights happened but as soon as I saw that the fight was happening, I thought Groves would win on points pretty comfortably. Seemed obvious to me.

Jose
Jul 24, 2007

bessantj posted:

Ha ha Kevin Mitchell reckons Eubank jr won on points:

in his defense it wasn't him liveblogging the fight so its not his score its nick millers

https://www.theguardian.com/sport/live/2018/feb/17/george-groves-v-chris-eubank-jr-world-boxing-super-series-live

biglads
Feb 21, 2007

I could've gone to Blatherwycke

If I was feeling charitable I could have given Eubank Jr. 3 rounds, but he was taken to school by Groves. Reading the report on the Guardian app this morning and seeing that they scored a narrow points win for Eubank was a very wtf moment.

Jose
Jul 24, 2007

kell brook has given a good interview. covers a lot about his depression after losing to spence but its really interesting learning what its like when your eye socket fractures and you hear it go imo

https://www.theguardian.com/sport/2018/feb/19/kell-brook-rock-bottom-boxing-interview

Dirt Road Junglist
Oct 8, 2010

We will be cruel
And through our cruelty
They will know who we are

Jose posted:

kell brook has given a good interview. covers a lot about his depression after losing to spence but its really interesting learning what its like when your eye socket fractures and you hear it go imo

https://www.theguardian.com/sport/2018/feb/19/kell-brook-rock-bottom-boxing-interview

Hoobuddy, that is a visceral description.

madey
Sep 17, 2007

I saved the Olympics singlehandedly
Braehmer is out of the wbss apparently ffs.
Has a cold

Triticum Guzzler
Jun 16, 2002
http://www.telegraph.co.uk/boxing/2018/02/20/nieky-holzken-replaces-jurgen-brahmer-callum-smiths-world-boxing/

Replaced by Nieky Holzken lol. I don't know how to contextualise this for boxing, but Holzken was an unimpressive champion in a weight class that had no money in it for decades. I follow kickboxing religiously and I had no idea he was going to be on the undercard.

Jose
Jul 24, 2007

madey posted:

Braehmer is out of the wbss apparently ffs.
Has a cold

can they ntot just push it back a couple of weeks?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The SituAsian
Oct 29, 2006

I'm a mess in distress

Jose posted:

can they ntot just push it back a couple of weeks?

How dare you suggest a delay on #TheRoadToJeddah