Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

The SituAsian
Oct 29, 2006

I'm a mess in distress
But we're still the best dressed

Cigar Aficionado posted:

Broner needs to go back to 140 immediately and stay there, but he won’t because he’s a loving idiot. The good news is this means we’ll get to watch him catch a few more beatings.

I think the post-fight antics were genius actually. If you know you aren't an elite fighter might as well just play up the heel angle so that people keep paying to watch you get beat.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

kimbo305
Jun 9, 2007

actually, yeah, I am a little mad

The SituAsian
Oct 29, 2006

I'm a mess in distress
Saturday was probably the first of many AB Pay per views

https://twitter.com/MikeCoppinger/status/1087897608754933762

jng2058
Jul 17, 2010

We have the tools, we have the talent!

With Pacquiao back to some prominence and rumors of Mayweather-Pacquiao II in the air, shouldn't the thread title be: Boxing Thread 2019: Back With the Old ?

Marching Powder
Mar 8, 2008

stop the fucking fight, cornerman, your dude is fucking done and is about to be killed.
400k at $75 a pop is a monumental success and genuinely insane to me

Gozinbulx
Feb 19, 2004
Who tf buys ppvs Jesus Christ

Smoking Crow
Feb 14, 2012

*laughs at u*

Responsible fight fans

Gozinbulx
Feb 19, 2004
No thanks.

Jack B Nimble
Dec 25, 2007

Soiled Meat
Get back to me on ppv when me and all the other goons can each pay $10 to access a private stream with chat.

The SituAsian
Oct 29, 2006

I'm a mess in distress
Because of the snow on Saturday I couldn't make this one but I'm still a proponent of going to see these events at the movie theater. The tickets are around $25 and unless it's a mega fight it's not really all that crowded

Gozinbulx
Feb 19, 2004

Jack B Nimble posted:

Get back to me on ppv when me and all the other goons can each pay $10 to access a private stream with chat.

we can do that easy for the next fight with rabbit.tv. also for free

Jack B Nimble
Dec 25, 2007

Soiled Meat
Well, ok (sounds fun actually), but I would give them money if I could; every time I look into I see that the claws of cable TV packaging still clutch boxing ppv, at least around here.

Troy Queef
Jan 12, 2013

how did I only just now notice that Broner's trunks were sponsored by Fashion Nova

this is about as great as when Mayorga got LatinasGoneCrazy.com sponsorship for the DLH fight

Jump King
Aug 10, 2011

new thread before feb

The Ninth Layer
Jun 20, 2007

Tomorrow I promise.

Jump King
Aug 10, 2011

Thurman about to start

The SituAsian
Oct 29, 2006

I'm a mess in distress
I hope it's not racist to say I have a really hard time telling Josesito and Jessie Vargas apart

The SituAsian
Oct 29, 2006

I'm a mess in distress
Great fight but if that's anyone better than Josesito Lopez on the other side Thurman does not make it out of the 7th round

ccubed
Jul 14, 2016

How's it hanging, brah?
Mungia vs Inoue was a WAY better fight than the landslide scores indicated.

chaoslord
Jan 28, 2009

Nature Abhors A Vacuum

ccubed posted:

Mungia vs Inoue was a WAY better fight than the landslide scores indicated.

1 round total on 3 cards lmao

It was a real war, enjoyed it a lot, but it and the Can/Rojas fight had strange cards even if I agree with the winner on both

Cigar Aficionado
Nov 1, 2004

"Patel"? Fuck you.
Thurman’s done at an elite level.

The Ninth Layer
Jun 20, 2007

I was laid out by food poisoning yesterday and slept through the Thurman fight. Heard he was looking real bad? Not surprising considering he was out of the ring for almost two years. Also not surprising he struggled against Josecito Lopez who always seems to fight up to the level of his opponent.

Anyway this thread should be up by the end of the day or at least before February lol.

Cigar Aficionado
Nov 1, 2004

"Patel"? Fuck you.
He started out looking good but got hurt pretty bad in the 7th and never really looked great after that. He won the fight but it was very competitive.

Cemented my opinion that Thurman was never really truly elite, he was just a half step better than Garcia and Porter (B+ fighters). Now after the layoff and the injuries, he probably went from an A- fighter to a B+ fighter himself. I don’t think he was ever on the Spence/Crawford level, but he’s definitely out of that conversation now.

A rematch with either Porter or Garcia would really show us where he’s at. No guarantee he can beat those guys at this point.

Jump King
Aug 10, 2011

I think Cigar Aficionado is overplaying it a little. It was a tune up fight, and after two years out of the ring he had trouble. That's not enough in my mind to say he's finished by any means.

E: on the flipside I'm thinking about the number of injuries he's had and I'm not really sure he actually has enough to keep going at the same pace he was at before, so it may be true.

Jump King fucked around with this message at 00:18 on Jan 28, 2019

Marching Powder
Mar 8, 2008

stop the fucking fight, cornerman, your dude is fucking done and is about to be killed.
i cannot believe mikey is going to fight errol spence while lomachenko doesn't have any prospective opponent that i really give a poo poo about

Cigar Aficionado
Nov 1, 2004

"Patel"? Fuck you.

MMM Whatchya Say posted:

I think Cigar Aficionado is overplaying it a little. It was a tune up fight, and after two years out of the ring he had trouble. That's not enough in my mind to say he's finished by any means.

E: on the flipside I'm thinking about the number of injuries he's had and I'm not really sure he actually has enough to keep going at the same pace he was at before, so it may be true.

Tune-up fights are supposed to end in KOs or lopsided decisions. Lopez is a live journeyman, but he's still a journeyman. Andre Berto knocked Lopez out in 6 rounds four years ago, and Berto was maybe a B- level guy at that point.

Jose
Jul 24, 2007

Adrian Chiles is a broadcaster and writer
:eyepop:

https://twitter.com/betmybookie/status/1089366651827478528

The SituAsian
Oct 29, 2006

I'm a mess in distress
Steve Willis needs to referee all fights that take place anywhere

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yt8w-R-QNhg

Jack B Nimble
Dec 25, 2007

Soiled Meat
That's amazing.

Jump King
Aug 10, 2011

https://twitter.com/MichaelBensonn/status/1089879050519228422

Cigar Aficionado
Nov 1, 2004

"Patel"? Fuck you.
Froch is such a clown. Glad that Ward completely schooled him and it's too bad he was never given a chance to beat Froch up again.

Kovalev/Alvarez 2 is this weekend. I'd be surprised if Kovalev wins, especially with potential prison time hanging over his head with this felony assault. His gas tank has been notoriously poor the last couple years, and he's known for not taking particularly good care of himself between fights (drinking/smoking). He probably takes another L here, and if he does end up going to prison, that may be it for Krusher.

Jump King
Aug 10, 2011

I forgot Kovalev was still fighting, he's been finished since the 2nd Ward fight imo

The SituAsian
Oct 29, 2006

I'm a mess in distress
Apparently Abner Mares is injured and pulled out of the fight against Gervonta Davis that was supposed.to happen on the 9th. No confirmation or word of a replacement opponent yet.

Jump King
Aug 10, 2011

The replacement is now confirmed to be Hugo Ruiz. No mincing words here, this is a total mismatch, but I guess that's what you get on a one week notice.

Jump King
Aug 10, 2011

Srisaket Sor Rungvisai will allegedly be rematching Juan Francisco Estrada in April. Their first fight was great and although SSR got the decision it was a very close affair. I would expect Estrada to come into this rematch reinvigorated and prepared to give an even tougher fight. SSR on the hand has apparently had a bit of a tough time out of the ring since their last fight and was coasting a bit in his most recent fight, so there's a big chance this fight goes the other way.

That said, if Rungvisai shows up to this rematch like he showed up to the Gonzalez rematch, he'll pretty much permanently shut down all his critics. I really like Srisaket and think he's a fun fighter, but I think people really rushed to throw him all over pound for pound lists, but I wouldn't be able to say poo poo if he had two wins over Estrada.

The SituAsian
Oct 29, 2006

I'm a mess in distress
This is also SSR's first fight with Matchroom and Da zone. Aside from an Estrada rematch he could also unify against Kal Yafai or maybe even a third Chocolatito fight if he loses to El Gallo though I think that would be incredibly brutal. Donnie Nietes and Kazuto Ioka dont really have US network ties so I'm sure Days Inn can get either or both for not much at all.

Then of course the possible move to bantamweight though I still think Inoue absolutely smokes him and both Luis Nery and Rigo are with PBC.

Cigar Aficionado
Nov 1, 2004

"Patel"? Fuck you.
Inoue smokes everyone around that weight.

Cigar Aficionado
Nov 1, 2004

"Patel"? Fuck you.
Poster “The Ninth Layer” is cancelled.

The Ninth Layer
Jun 20, 2007

My parents are visiting or it would be up already!!!!!

Also insert bonus excuse here.

I have a 33 page long google doc okay. Takes a lot of editing.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The SituAsian
Oct 29, 2006

I'm a mess in distress
If were weren't such sticklers for "content" and "effort" we could have more frequent discussion threads just with lower effort (for example my style) ops.