Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Cigar Aficionado
Nov 1, 2004

"Patel"? Fuck you.
That version of Pacquiao vs a comebacking Keith Thurman (WBA Super Champ) would be an interesting fight. Thurman would still win, but Pacquiao wouldn't get embarrassed like he would against Terence Crawford or Errol Spence.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jump King
Aug 10, 2011

Would rather seem him against Khan (competitive fight with money still in it) or Lomachenko (interesting crossroads fight)

STING 64
Oct 20, 2006

no chance that ggg/canelo actually happens again right

Jump King
Aug 10, 2011

STONE COLD 64 posted:

no chance that ggg/canelo actually happens again right

It's scheduled and they've sold tickets, so I would say it's pretty possible

STING 64
Oct 20, 2006

MMM Whatchya Say posted:

It's scheduled and they've sold tickets, so I would say it's pretty possible

yeah, but boxing

Jump King
Aug 10, 2011

It is boxing, but money is a tremendous wheel greaser and this is the biggest money fight in boxing right now. It was actually pretty surprising the may rematch was called off even with the drug tests and there's increased pressure this time round. Both sides fought hard for the fight in the negotiations and the fans want it, so something tremendously hosed would have to happen to scrap this fight.

Cigar Aficionado
Nov 1, 2004

"Patel"? Fuck you.

MMM Whatchya Say posted:

Would rather seem him against Khan (competitive fight with money still in it) or Lomachenko (interesting crossroads fight)

Khan would be another interesting fight, though there's a chance that Khan is still so fast that he just dominates a 40 year old Pacquiao. Khan is such a glass cannon and such a stupid fighter though that I'd have to imagine Pacquiao would have a puncher's chance for the entirety of the fight.

I don't want to see a Lomachenko fight. Pacquiao would get embarrassed, and it would mean Loma would have to go up to at least 144-145 pounds, which could gently caress with his ability to get back down to 135 and still be the same fighter he was.

Jump King
Aug 10, 2011

Cigar Aficionado posted:

Khan would be another interesting fight, though there's a chance that Khan is still so fast that he just dominates a 40 year old Pacquiao. Khan is such a glass cannon and such a stupid fighter though that I'd have to imagine Pacquiao would have a puncher's chance for the entirety of the fight.

I don't want to see a Lomachenko fight. Pacquiao would get embarrassed, and it would mean Loma would have to go up to at least 144-145 pounds, which could gently caress with his ability to get back down to 135 and still be the same fighter he was.

I guess we have different impressions of how good Pac still is. Khan is faster, but Pacquiao's still got pretty fast hands and Khan comes in and out in straight lines. If Danny Garcia can time Khan, Pacquiao will be able to as well.

I also think Lomachenko wins that fight. I see it happening at 140 or or a slightly lower catchweight, Pac barely walks around at welterweight and he's said a few times he can still cut to 140 without too much trouble. After watching Linares knock Lomachenko down and watching Manny take (a shot version of) Matthysse apart, I have better hopes for this fight though. It's a dangerous fight for Lomachenko as the smaller man, especially coming off of a shoulder surgery. Like, the same Manny that's putting guys like Bradley and Vargas on their asses is going to hurt Lomachenko if he lands, and Manny still throws enough punches in a round that I don't think it's a nostalgia laden fantasy to imagine him doing so. But I think Loma has more tools to adjust with at this stage of his career and should win. But it's a neat passing of the torch opportunity.

I might be massively overrating Manny's abilities after seeing one fight against a guy who was arguably never that good, but I think a Pacquiao that's not fighting bigger guys still does pretty well.

The SituAsian
Oct 29, 2006

I'm a mess in distress
But we're still the best dressed
To the surprise of no one Joshua-Povetkin has finally been confirmed

https://twitter.com/EddieHearn/status/1018797294479728640?s=19

Jump King
Aug 10, 2011

The WBSS Quarter Finals have been set in our new annual boxing tradition of the extremely awkward WBSS draft gala.

140:
Regis Prograis vs. Terry Flanagan
Josh Taylor vs. Ryan Martin
Kiryl Relikh vs. Eduard Troyanovsky
Ivan Baranchyk vs. Anthony Yigit

118:
Ryan Burnett vs. Nonito Donaire
Naoya Inoue vs. Juan Carlos Payano
Zolani Tete vs. Misha Aloyan
Emmanuel Rodriguez vs. Jason Moloney

Cigar Aficionado
Nov 1, 2004

"Patel"? Fuck you.
Naoya Inoue should cruise.

140 is a bit more wide open. I guess Regis Prograis is a favourite but I caught his last fight and wasn't particularly impressed. He gets hit a lot.

Cigar Aficionado fucked around with this message at 22:38 on Jul 20, 2018

The SituAsian
Oct 29, 2006

I'm a mess in distress
Sticking to my initial prediction of Inoue winning bantamweight in less than 15 total rounds. 140 should come down to Prograis-Taylor and I feel Prograis should win on experience but it should be good.

Speaking of Wbss what's the feeling about Usyk-Gassiev? Think that Usyk will outbox Gassiev but if it gets cagey than Usyk might have a hard time getting a decision.

Marching Powder
Mar 8, 2008

stop the fucking fight, cornerman, your dude is fucking done and is about to be killed.

MMM Whatchya Say posted:

The WBSS Quarter Finals have been set in our new annual boxing tradition of the extremely awkward WBSS draft gala.

140:
Regis Prograis vs. Terry Flanagan
Josh Taylor vs. Ryan Martin
Kiryl Relikh vs. Eduard Troyanovsky
Ivan Baranchyk vs. Anthony Yigit

118:
Ryan Burnett vs. Nonito Donaire
Naoya Inoue vs. Juan Carlos Payano
Zolani Tete vs. Misha Aloyan
Emmanuel Rodriguez vs. Jason Moloney

i could have sworn the 118 bracket was supposed to be more intriguing than that. ah well. hope it's good.

i predict inoue won't fight 12 rounds before taking the title.

Jump King
Aug 10, 2011

I guess it's possible you guys just don't know bantamweight all that well, but 6 of those guys are in the top 8 of the division and the other two are Nonito Donaire and Misha Aloyan: a mutli time olympic medalist. It's basically the best the bracket can be without including Naoya's brother.

I mean I also think Inoue takes the tournament, but he is up 3 divisions from where he started and against the best that field has to offer, if it's a walk in the park that speaks incredible amounts about his ability.

Jump King fucked around with this message at 04:37 on Jul 21, 2018

Marching Powder
Mar 8, 2008

stop the fucking fight, cornerman, your dude is fucking done and is about to be killed.

MMM Whatchya Say posted:

I guess it's possible you guys just don't know bantamweight all that well, but 6 of those guys are in the top 8 of the division and the other two are Nonito Donaire and Misha Aloyan: a mutli time olympic medalist. It's basically the best the bracket can be without including Naoya's brother.

I mean I also think Inoue takes the tournament, but he is up 3 divisions from where he started and against the best that field has to offer, if it's a walk in the park that speaks incredible amounts about his ability.

i could have sworn the first iteration i saw everyone was ranked and sor rungvisai was in it.

Jump King
Aug 10, 2011

Marching Powder posted:

i could have sworn the first iteration i saw everyone was ranked and sor rungvisai was in it.

Sor Rungvisai is in the division below? The only unranked guy in this is Donaire, who is Donaire. Aloyan isn't ranked all that high but he's only had 4 professional fights and is a well regarded prospect with a good amateur record. The bracket is really good. The only guys it's really missing are Takama Inoue and Mark Jon Yap, who are currently scheduled to fight each other.

Marching Powder
Mar 8, 2008

MMM Whatchya Say posted:

Sor Rungvisai is in the division below?

yeah, i was really excited because i thought we were going to see the sor rungvisai / inoue after inoue / gonzalez being talked about for so long as a potential superfight.

i was probably mistaken.

Cigar Aficionado
Nov 1, 2004

"Patel"? Fuck you.

The SituAsian posted:

Speaking of Wbss what's the feeling about Usyk-Gassiev? Think that Usyk will outbox Gassiev but if it gets cagey than Usyk might have a hard time getting a decision.

I'm hyped for it, but it's very unfortunate that it's occurring in Russia. Not sure Usyk can get a fair judgement on the cards there, and he's not a power puncher or
particularly aggressive, which can sway judges as well.

At a neutral site, I'd lean towards Usyk. In Russia I think I'm leaning Gassiev. Should be a great fight, anyway.

Mao Zedong Thot
Oct 16, 2008

Forgot about bald dreads announcer guy

The SituAsian
Oct 29, 2006

I'm a mess in distress
National anthem of the Ukraine being played in Moscow for maximum irony

Mao Zedong Thot
Oct 16, 2008

Is the always be throwing little flurries of punches with no gas on them a Ukrainian thing? Lomachenko does it with great success, and usyk is doing it too

Can't think of anyone else that does it so regularly

Jump King
Aug 10, 2011

Mao Zedong Thot posted:

Is the always be throwing little flurries of punches with no gas on them a Ukrainian thing? Lomachenko does it with great success, and usyk is doing it too

Can't think of anyone else that does it so regularly

Usyk and Lomachenko have the same trainer, so it is possibly a product of that gym, yes.

Mao Zedong Thot
Oct 16, 2008

Weird fight. Gassiev isn't getting hit with anything meaningful, but he's barely throwing

Lionel Richie
Nov 14, 2004

Mao Zedong Thot posted:

Weird fight. Gassiev isn't getting hit with anything meaningful, but he's barely throwing

It's like watching a Calzaghe fight all over again.

Usyk has styled all over him tbf, looks different class

Monday Bandele
Apr 26, 2008
I was just going to mention how much this reminded me of Calzaghe v Lacy

reminder that Gassiev would beat any boxer below 200lb

Jump King
Aug 10, 2011

Holy poo poo

Now I am kind of curious about Gassiev and Briedis, since Briedis had a competitive fight with Usyk.

Mao Zedong Thot
Oct 16, 2008

Nice to see a unification in this dumbass sport lol

Idfk about that fight though. Very one sided, but really looked like gassiev just didn't give a poo poo or feel like being there today.

Don't get me wrong, usyk is good as hell, just for anfight where no one seemed the slightest bit hurt :shrug:

Lionel Richie
Nov 14, 2004

What does Usyk do now, cash in and go and be a bloated shithouse heavyweight or what

The SituAsian
Oct 29, 2006

I'm a mess in distress

Lionel Richie posted:

What does Usyk do now, cash in and go and be a bloated shithouse heavyweight or what

Andre Ward

Lionel Richie
Nov 14, 2004

Andre would have his head and low blow game strong in that one for sure

Monday Bandele
Apr 26, 2008
the thing about Usyk is that we still don't know how well he can take heavyweight power, Gassiev only caught him once and it wasn't entirely flush

will be fun finding out though

The SituAsian
Oct 29, 2006

I'm a mess in distress
Gassiev didn't really land anything of substance other than that shot at the end of the fourth round but the way Usyk reacted to it would make me worry that he couldn't make it through if AJ, certainly Wilder and even like a Dillian Whyte hit him with something similar. He has enough skill to make an impact at heavyweight but there's too much going against him to really go all the way. So Usyk can probably ultimately either be a fringe top 10 guy at heavyweight or stay the king of cruiserweight forever and make his money against Ward and/or Bellew.

The SituAsian fucked around with this message at 00:21 on Jul 22, 2018

Lionel Richie
Nov 14, 2004

Seems like he wants Bellew because why wouldn't he, I can't see it happening when there's the smell of a Fury sized freakshow money grab in the air for Bellew though

Jump King
Aug 10, 2011

https://twitter.com/MichaelBensonn/status/1020605732306259968

Sor Rungvisai had a successful day today.

The SituAsian
Oct 29, 2006

I'm a mess in distress

Beating a guy named Bae must have been pretty cathartic given how dirty he was done by his ex-fiancee.

Shame that it will be a while before we get him against anything other than the finest bin men Asia has to offer

Marching Powder
Mar 8, 2008

ref could have stopped that fight about a minute and a half before the actual stoppage. guy did not want to be there. now i really wish rungvisai was in that 118 tournament like i dreamed he was.

Jump King
Aug 10, 2011

SSR is supposed to make another appearance in a typical Thai dust up against TBA in October before making a 2019 reappearance stateside which is a bit of a wait, but I guess he's earned a bit of relaxation time after the Gonzalez, Gonzalez, Estrada schedule he just went through.

Jump King
Aug 10, 2011

Guy nobody's posting about it but this Munguia-Smith fight is loving amazing

The SituAsian
Oct 29, 2006

I'm a mess in distress

MMM Whatchya Say posted:

Guy nobody's posting about it but this Munguia-Smith fight is loving amazing

It was good but I don't know about great. Don't think Munguia has nearly enough craft-especially defensively- to beat anyone else near the top at this point but he's still young and on balance it's probably the best thing in his development to go the distance.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jump King
Aug 10, 2011

I mean it wasn't like, technically sound, but after watching a bunch of technically sound fights where one guy just beat another it was fun to finally see a fight where two guys were going at each other