Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Rags to Liches
Mar 11, 2008

future skeleton soldier

Lopez just knocked the gently caress out of Menard on the Lomachenko card.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mao Zedong Thot
Oct 16, 2008

Yeah that was quick

Andro
Jun 30, 2010
That was a nasty KO. You could see his leg seizing.

Grittybeard
Mar 29, 2010

Bad, very bad!
Dogboe seems to be a very shouty person.

Mao Zedong Thot
Oct 16, 2008

Pretty decent showing from navarrete

Grittybeard
Mar 29, 2010

Bad, very bad!
I like that I have to be pleasantly surprised by those cards.

Mao Zedong Thot
Oct 16, 2008

Yeah it's so cool and good when you're like 'oh thank God the scores are correct' loving boxing

Gozinbulx
Feb 19, 2004
Dogboe got absolutely hosed up.

Mechafunkzilla
Sep 11, 2006

If you want a vision of the future...
Turns out being a tiny baby man is a big disadvantage in boxing.

Mao Zedong Thot
Oct 16, 2008

Mechafunkzilla posted:

Turns out being a tiny baby man is a big disadvantage in boxing.

:thunk:

The Lord of Hats
Aug 22, 2010

Hello, yes! Is being very good day for posting, no?
I know jack poo poo about boxing and am watching pretty much purely because it was what was on when I turned on the TV, but this has been a pretty good match as far as I can tell. Pedraza's starting to look pretty gassed, though.

balancedbias
May 2, 2009
$$$$$$$$$

Hello

*straight left hand*

I'm Loma

*straight left hand*

Pleasure to meet you

*straight left hand*

Grittybeard
Mar 29, 2010

Bad, very bad!
He's clearly winning but this does not seem as easy as normal for Loma.

e: I say right as he wins the fight probably.

balancedbias
May 2, 2009
$$$$$$$$$

JESUS loving CHRIST LOMA

Wise Learned Man
Apr 22, 2008

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Lipstick Apathy
I do not understand how Pedraza stayed standing for so long. Or how he survived the round.

Grittybeard
Mar 29, 2010

Bad, very bad!

Wise Learned Man posted:

I do not understand how Pedraza stayed standing for so long. Or how he survived the round.

Yeah that was legit impressive to the point where I was scared for him.

Truther Vandross
Jun 17, 2008

That 11th round was insane and props to him for living through it because goddamn

Rags to Liches
Mar 11, 2008

future skeleton soldier

Pedraza has a good loving chin holy gently caress

Mao Zedong Thot
Oct 16, 2008

That 11th Rd tho 😍

The Lord of Hats
Aug 22, 2010

Hello, yes! Is being very good day for posting, no?
It was what, a minute straight of nonstop punches to the head? Once it started there sure want any guard worth talking about.

Grittybeard
Mar 29, 2010

Bad, very bad!
Man Pedraza threw so many punches that didn't land. That's got to be so ridiculously draining aside from that 11th round.

e: And Loma definitely looks like he's been in a fight

Grittybeard fucked around with this message at 06:33 on Dec 9, 2018

The SituAsian
Oct 29, 2006

I'm a mess in distress
But we're still the best dressed
Solid win for Lomachenko. I think it's comparable to Mikey Garcia's win over Robert Easter so my opinion of neither is changed really. Loma probably gets the stoppage if feels more confident in his shoulder.

And it ended just in time for the emotional HBO boxing montage

The SituAsian
Oct 29, 2006

I'm a mess in distress
Obligatory crying Jim Lampley - https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MN50tXkYGsk

Crying Roy Jones Jr https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kjWqcruHbmY

EDIT: The farewell montage - https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vjdnJPENitM

The SituAsian fucked around with this message at 17:40 on Dec 9, 2018

thehappyprince
Apr 4, 2006

Alastair Cock

rip in peace hbo boxing you were hilariously biased but somehow not as bad as sky

Cigar Aficionado
Nov 1, 2004

"Patel"? Fuck you.

drat that's emotional. For my money, the HBO broadcasting crew was always leaps and bounds better than any other network and probably always will be, unless Kellerman and Jones Jr can start doing ESPN cards with someone as good as Lampley. I doubt that will happen though, as ESPN will want to create their own personalities. Showtime is the best of the remainder, despite Al Bernstein being extremely vanilla and Mauro Ranallo being extremely annoying and knowing very little about the sport. The DAZN crew as it stands is awful, and the Brits are 10x as biased as HBO ever was. HBO had it's rightful criticisms but I will miss them.

Also Lomachenko is obviously great and scored a good win but he's vulnerable at 135. He's a featherweight masquerading as a lightweight. Due to his otherworldly skills, he can get away with it, but a legit HoF/near HoF level 135 pounder could definitely beat him there. Which makes Mikey Garcia's decision to fight Errol Spence that much more of a head shaker. If anyone could beat Lomachenko, it's Garcia. Doesn't look like we'll ever get to see that fight though, sadly.

hexwren
Feb 27, 2008

I am legit sad we're losing HBO, that was how I first saw boxing (well, that and CBS, but that was way back in the day).

With any luck, DAZN will pick up Lampley, or possibly ESPN.

That said,

https://www.hollywoodreporter.com/news/first-take-host-max-kellerman-signs-new-deal-espn-1167766

Kellerman is going to host the broadcast booth team, not ringside, for ESPN's fights, which means he's probably going to be in there with Stephen A. Smith, and I am just loving tired of SAS, and Kellerman is probably going to say some poo poo that gets him yelling like on worst first take, and it's going to be terrible.

Troy Queef
Jan 12, 2013

hexwren posted:

I am legit sad we're losing HBO, that was how I first saw boxing (well, that and CBS, but that was way back in the day).

With any luck, DAZN will pick up Lampley, or possibly ESPN.

That said,

https://www.hollywoodreporter.com/news/first-take-host-max-kellerman-signs-new-deal-espn-1167766

Kellerman is going to host the broadcast booth team, not ringside, for ESPN's fights, which means he's probably going to be in there with Stephen A. Smith, and I am just loving tired of SAS, and Kellerman is probably going to say some poo poo that gets him yelling like on worst first take, and it's going to be terrible.

ESPN wants to bring the First Take "magic" to boxing with Max and SAS, and if so hopefully they can bring Dan/Stu/the Shipping Container to cut in whenever SAS says something stupid to give their own opinions.

also drat, that HBO montage. HARD RIGHT HAND to the feels, as the kids say.

Jump King
Aug 10, 2011

HBO was my intro to boxing and my favourite boxing product for a long time. I'll miss it. I still like Kellerman, despite all the bullshit people have been annoyed about over the past year and I hope that ESPN figures out how to best use his talents.

willie_dee
Jun 21, 2010
I obtain sexual gratification from observing people being inflicted with violent head injuries
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=J2dKtzwqbzM

Wilder on JRE

Cigar Aficionado
Nov 1, 2004

"Patel"? Fuck you.
Just realized that Lomachenko has absolutely 0 compelling future opponents at 135.

Monday Bandele
Apr 26, 2008
Gervonta Davis at 130 is the fight to make

Jump King
Aug 10, 2011

Cigar Aficionado posted:

Just realized that Lomachenko has absolutely 0 compelling future opponents at 135.

Bring Mikey back

The SituAsian
Oct 29, 2006

I'm a mess in distress

https://twitter.com/thelastround12/status/1072529943660257280?s=20

Cigar Aficionado
Nov 1, 2004

"Patel"? Fuck you.
Maybe Canelo can finally score a win over GGG this time.

Cigar Aficionado
Nov 1, 2004

"Patel"? Fuck you.

Monday Bandele posted:

Gervonta Davis at 130 is the fight to make

I agree with this, but Floyd is going to keep Gervonta away from Lomachenko for literally years.

hexwren
Feb 27, 2008

forgot to set my DVR for the tyson-douglas 30 for 30, kicking myself

e: replaying in two hours on espn2, all is well

hexwren fucked around with this message at 09:08 on Dec 12, 2018

kimbo305
Jun 9, 2007

actually, yeah, I am a little mad
Was anyone listening to the Spanish in Pedraza's corner? Were they calling out times or cues to go southpaw? Pedraza switched right at the halfway mark for a few rounds, usually when he got pushed to the ropes and wanted to circle out. One time he did switch early, I think because he felt like Loma was having too much success.

Lid
Feb 18, 2005

And the mercy seat is awaiting,
And I think my head is burning,
And in a way I'm yearning,
To be done with all this measuring of proof.
An eye for an eye
And a tooth for a tooth,
And anyway I told the truth,
And I'm not afraid to die.
random question - why or how did vitali go into the boxing hall of fame before wladimir?

The Ninth Layer
Jun 20, 2007

He retired first. There's a waiting period between your last fight and when you can be inducted into the HOF, I believe it's five years.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Marching Powder
Mar 8, 2008

stop the fucking fight, cornerman, your dude is fucking done and is about to be killed.
i wish it was wlad that retired. vitali was a pleasure to watch.

reasonably keen to see how canelo looks at super middle against a reasonably good opponent.

extremely keen to see frampton / warrington though. it's like a more relevant brook / khan.

that's all i'm especially interested to see as far as 2018 goes except of course for the mayweather / tenshin spectacle which is almost sure to fall apart the second the yakuza piss mayweather off which should be within hours of the fight's scheduled start time