Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Cigar Aficionado
Nov 1, 2004

"Patel"? Fuck you.
Don’t see how Broner beats Pacquiao even at this stage in Manny’s career. Broner is not a real welterweight and doesn’t let his hands go enough to beat someone like Pacquiao. Fully expect Pac to take a wide decision here. What will be interesting is where both guys go after that. Pacquiao could fight Terence Crawford or even Floyd Mayweather. Broner will be basically an opponent after this fight. Maybe he fights a guy like Keith Thurman at the end of 2019. Or he could start fighting bums.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The SituAsian
Oct 29, 2006

I'm a mess in distress
But we're still the best dressed

Cigar Aficionado posted:

Don’t see how Broner beats Pacquiao even at this stage in Manny’s career. Broner is not a real welterweight and doesn’t let his hands go enough to beat someone like Pacquiao. Fully expect Pac to take a wide decision here. What will be interesting is where both guys go after that. Pacquiao could fight Terence Crawford or even Floyd Mayweather. Broner will be basically an opponent after this fight. Maybe he fights a guy like Keith Thurman at the end of 2019. Or he could start fighting bums.

I'll :toxx: for a week that Floyd will fight the winner of Pac-Broner by the end of year

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Would you be my new best friends?

The SituAsian posted:

I'll :toxx: for a week that Floyd will fight the winner of Pac-Broner by the end of year

Troy Queef
Jan 12, 2013

PBC fight tonight on FS1, and from watching it their motto should be "Good Fights, Bad Commentary".

The SituAsian
Oct 29, 2006

I'm a mess in distress
Just a reminder that Flores is the guy who flopped around like a fish after Rigo hit him with a late blow on the undercard of Ward-Kovalev 2

Cigar Aficionado
Nov 1, 2004

"Patel"? Fuck you.
Caleb Plant beat Jose Uzcategui tonight for the IBF championship and looked pretty good doing it. Uzcategui was never anything more than a placeholder paper titlist, and Plant probably isn’t much better than that, but any undefeated world class prospect at super middleweight is appreciated, as it’s a pretty barren division, especially with Gilberto Ramirez potentially moving up to 175. Notable ranked guys in the IBF’s ratings include Peter Quillin, Fedor Chudinov, Caleb Truax, Arthur Abraham, and Andre Dirrell, so one of those guys could be next for Plant.

kimbo305
Jun 9, 2007

actually, yeah, I am a little mad
Those last two are still fighting?

The SituAsian
Oct 29, 2006

I'm a mess in distress
I was never all that sold on Uzcategui since his best win was washed as hell Andre Dirrell but Plant really impressed me. Hopefully he can unify with the Anthony Dirrell-Yildrim winner sooner rather than later then maybe a bigish fight with David Benavidez.

Cigar Aficionado
Nov 1, 2004

"Patel"? Fuck you.
Adrien Broner call old white man Al Bernstein a “bitch rear end nigga” today.

How’s that 2019 thread coming?

Jump King
Aug 10, 2011

The Ninth Layer
Jun 20, 2007

It's coming. I'll probably cut out a lot of what I've been writing for a separate post as it's getting long in the tooth now. When I said it'd be ready by the end of the week, I meant this week ok.

Jack B Nimble
Dec 25, 2007

Soiled Meat
FWIW, I was talking last night with the old boxer that attends our jiu jitsu/mma gym and he said the fight will come down to which Broner shows up, because apparently when the boxer met/saw him he looked like weighed about 200 lbs in the "off season", seems he doesnt take good care of himself and has inconsistent results in his camps. Is that a known thing at all? Anyway, while the age is the big question with Pacquiao I don't think theres any doubt that he'll have a disciplined camp and come in as good of shape as his body allows.

Jump King
Aug 10, 2011

Jack B Nimble posted:

Is that a known thing at all?

Yes. Broner has a lot of natural talent and skill, but he's always had issues with dedication and motivation. Sometimes he's better than others. Largely though, the idea that Broner is suddenly going to flip the switch and come in serious for his next fight often goes around before each bout, but it's never really happened.

A bigger factor in my opinion is that Broner just doesn't really have the right stuff to compete at welterweight. His best division was lightweight and he was really good there. Like a lot of fighters, he's at welterweight for the money, but his results there haven't been very good. His record at welter is 2-2-1 and both wins were split decisions. Pac might be old, but if he's still the same quality as when he beat matthysse, he's got this.

The SituAsian
Oct 29, 2006

I'm a mess in distress
Unlike Adrien Broner DAZN might not turn out to be a total bust. Danny Jacobs just signed a 3 fight deal and check out who his first fight will be

https://twitter.com/DAZN_USA/status/1086006520914022403?s=19

The Ninth Layer
Jun 20, 2007

Wow. I thought Golden Boy had been pretty clear they were fighting anyone but Jacobs.

I wonder where that leaves Golovkin. I was expecting him to fight Canelo and if not Canelo then do a rematch with Jacobs. Outside of those two his options aren't great. It now seems like the best career move for him is to follow those two onto DAZN and angle for a rematch with whoever wins.

Jump King
Aug 10, 2011

Good fight.

Cigar Aficionado
Nov 1, 2004

"Patel"? Fuck you.
Broner is probably the biggest idiot in boxing (really saying something). He should be fighting at 140 and might have been able to dominate that division with Crawford gone, but he blows up between fights, has no discipline, and is just an unbelievable clown.

Excited for Canelo vs Jacobs. That’s a real fight. Glad it’s not a Lemieux fight at 168.

Jack B Nimble
Dec 25, 2007

Soiled Meat
Whats the one fight from Jacobs I should go watch?

Truther Vandross
Jun 17, 2008

The fact that they’re doing that fight tells me DAZN is doing real bad, otherwise they’d be avoiding it.

ozymandius1024
Mar 15, 2006

You don't yank on the Spine of God

Jack B Nimble posted:

Whats the one fight from Jacobs I should go watch?

The one with Pirog.

In all seriousness his fight with Golovkin was an excellent performance.

The SituAsian
Oct 29, 2006

I'm a mess in distress

The Ninth Layer posted:

Wow. I thought Golden Boy had been pretty clear they were fighting anyone but Jacobs.

I wonder where that leaves Golovkin. I was expecting him to fight Canelo and if not Canelo then do a rematch with Jacobs. Outside of those two his options aren't great. It now seems like the best career move for him is to follow those two onto DAZN and angle for a rematch with whoever wins.

Before this I thought it was fait accompli that Golovkin was going to sign with Haymon but now I think he'll sign with DAZN and take a tune up in April or May before the trilogy with Canelo on Mexican Independence weekend

Jump King
Aug 10, 2011

sportsgenius86 posted:

The fact that they’re doing that fight tells me DAZN is doing real bad, otherwise they’d be avoiding it.

i think they just got a different business model than the promotions you're used to

The Ninth Layer
Jun 20, 2007

It's a good fight for Canelo in any case. Jacobs is the real deal and I don't think I could confidently pick the winner of that fight without putting some serious thought into it

Truther Vandross
Jun 17, 2008

MMM Whatchya Say posted:

i think they just got a different business model than the promotions you're used to

That’s fair. But I do feel like the Fielding fight being their first real major one was sort of their way of finding a baseline for subscribers and if they had hit what they wanted, I don’t think they’d be doing this fight this soon. Going for it now makes me think they need to grow their subscriber number quicker.

thehappyprince
Apr 4, 2006

Alastair Cock

The Ninth Layer posted:

It's a good fight for Canelo in any case. Jacobs is the real deal and I don't think I could confidently pick the winner of that fight without putting some serious thought into it

yeah in boxing terms it’s hard to pick a winner but we all know who’s getting the decision

should be a good fight tho. hopefully ggg can fight saunders

The Ninth Layer
Jun 20, 2007

sportsgenius86 posted:

That’s fair. But I do feel like the Fielding fight being their first real major one was sort of their way of finding a baseline for subscribers and if they had hit what they wanted, I don’t think they’d be doing this fight this soon. Going for it now makes me think they need to grow their subscriber number quicker.

Eh. For the last several years Canelo has alternated between big fights with big names, and stay busy fights with little-known ranked opponents. This is just a continuation of that pattern. I don't know if it is necessarily motivated by DAZN's performance.

Even before the Fielding fight Golden Boy was talking about how they wanted Golovkin, from what I've seen over the last few months he was their preference for May. On GGG's end everything I've read suggests he is still negotiating between DAZN, Top Rank and PBC and has not made a firm commitment to any one of them.

In my estimation Canelo-Jacobs changes the calculus for Golovkin, as those two are by far the most lucrative opponents for him at middleweight, and together with Demetrius Andrade all four middleweight belts are held by DAZN fighters.

Jump King
Aug 10, 2011

sportsgenius86 posted:

I think they're trying to make more hype as opposed to trying to scrape the highest revenue to risk ratio possible that most boxing promotions do, the latter tactic being a big part of why I think a lot of boxing platforms are struggling.

Cigar Aficionado
Nov 1, 2004

"Patel"? Fuck you.
Golovkin should fight Jermall Charlo in April/May. Winners of that and Canelo/Jacobs could then fight in September. Makes too much sense to not do this, so it probably won’t happen.

I like Andrade but he’s boring as hell and still hasn’t really fought anyone. Guy needs to raise his profile before he gets a big time multi million dollar fight.

The Ninth Layer
Jun 20, 2007

Cigar Aficionado posted:

Golovkin should fight Jermall Charlo in April/May. Winners of that and Canelo/Jacobs could then fight in September. Makes too much sense to not do this, so it probably won’t happen.

I like Andrade but he’s boring as hell and still hasn’t really fought anyone. Guy needs to raise his profile before he gets a big time multi million dollar fight.

The issue here is that anyone with a fighter that Golovkin could fight is going to want to sign him long term. Nobody is going to let him do a one off fight, take out one of their potential stars and then sign with another network.

The SituAsian
Oct 29, 2006

I'm a mess in distress
I think the time is right to make the BJS fight for those reasons because Saunders is such damaged goods and because he doesn't have the deep network allegiances the other top middleweights have so it's a fight you could realistically make on any platform GGG signs with.

The SituAsian
Oct 29, 2006

I'm a mess in distress
Pablo Cesar Cano just put Linares down 15 seconds into their fight

EDIT: Got knocked down two more times and stopped near the end of the first. Shades of his loss to Yeyo Thompson

The SituAsian fucked around with this message at 04:31 on Jan 19, 2019

Marching Powder
Mar 8, 2008

stop the fucking fight, cornerman, your dude is fucking done and is about to be killed.

The SituAsian posted:

Pablo Cesar Cano just put Linares down 15 seconds into their fight

EDIT: Got knocked down two more times and stopped near the end of the first. Shades of his loss to Yeyo Thompson

whoa. loma really is too loving small for this division.

Cigar Aficionado
Nov 1, 2004

"Patel"? Fuck you.
Bryant Jennings was stopped in the 12th by fairly unheralded (yet undefeated) Oscar Rivas, so that’s probably it for him unless he wants to just be an opponent and take beatings for money.

The Ninth Layer
Jun 20, 2007

Well I was hoping to get this new thread up in time for the Pacquiao-Broner main event, but even after a frantic day of writing I've only just barely completed it, and if I post it now it's going up without any pictures or formatting or proofreading. So I'll be finishing it up and posting it tomorrow instead, with some slight changes reflecting the outcome of Pacquiao-Broner. According to my google doc it is about 20,000 words long :suicide:

Fighters who I had on my p4p list fighting tonight include Pacquiao who I have at #17 and Badou Jack who I have at #14. Here's what I had written for them ahead of whatever is gonna happen tonight.

#17 Manny Pacquiao
In the year 2019 it is almost incredible to think that Manny Pacquiao is not only still fighting, but arguably still among the best in the world. Where he stands exactly among the pound-for-pound rankings is another story, and depending on who you ask he falls within the top ten or doesn't come anywhere close. In Pacquiao’s own welterweight (147 lb) division there are several fighters who would be decided favorites against him, including Spence, Crawford, and perhaps Thurman, Porter and Khan. But even if 2019 Pacquiao is a decade removed from the Manny that destroyed Cotto, he still possesses more than enough speed, power, and skill to where he cannot be easily counted out of any of those matches. He’s also still a massive star and remains one of the few boxers in the sport who have crossed over to the mainstream. Now that Manny fights with PBC and Al Haymon, there are several compelling matches available to him, and he’ll likely have his pick of the litter. But we all know there’s only one fighter Pacquiao has his sights set on. We’ll see what it takes for him to draw that fighter out of retirement for what will undoubtedly be another massive event for the sport.
Next Oppnent: Adrien Broner on Jaunary 19th. By the time this thread goes up this may already be outdated. (Editor's note: lol yep)

#14 Badou Jack
Not too many fighters have had as tough a break as Badou Jack in his big fights. The Swedish super middleweight (168 lb) turned light heavyweight (175 lb) had to settle for majority draws in two fights that I scored as wins for him, both of which would have been huge boosts to his record. The first, a super middleweight unification bout with James DeGale, saw Jack display his technical abilities against a fellow fantastic technician in a very skilled fight that unfortunately did not get a rematch. Jack instead made the move up to light heavyweight and took on lineal champ Adonis Stevenson, outworking the older champ and taking over the back half of the fight after some close early rounds, despite essentially having to fight the ref in this one too. Some will disagree with me that Jack deserved to win both of these fights, and in any case they were close enough to where I’m not complaining too hard. In any case that Jack even pulled off draws against these two very good fighters, and has beaten several other top talents including Lucian Bute, George Groves, and Anthony Dirrell, is more than enough for me to consider him among the world’s best fighters right now. Jack may not be a special fighter or have any particularly special quality to distinguish him, but he competes at a very high level and in my opinion that’s what matters.
Next Opponent: Marcus Browne on Jan 19th. If I’m lucky this thread is up before this one happens. Browne is undefeated but is still very early in his career and Jack will be his toughest opponent to date. I expect Jack will be a cut above him in this one, but you can’t count out a guy who’s undefeated.

And here's my "upcoming fights" write-up of the main event:

Manny Pacquiao vs Adrien Broner
This is a bit of a crossroads fight between two star fighters whose best days are both behind them, even if they are decidedly in two very different career positions. Manny Pacquiao is a boxing legend while Broner will be fortunate simply to make it into the Hall of Fame. Nevertheless, both remain big names in boxing and it is no accident that the two of them together can still sell a $75 pay per view event. Manny Pacquiao has teetered the verge of retirement for about five years now, but a switch in promoters from Top Rank to PBC suggests he has no intentions of quitting. His last fight against Matthysse was an apparent return to form for him, though perhaps it was more of a collapsing of Matthysse’s form. Adrien Broner has spent his entire career at the threshold of elite status, and as of yet has never delivered on his apparent athletic potential. For both fighters losing this one will be the beginning of the end of their careers, while winning could mean a shot at the big Money Mayweather himself. But it’s saying something that between the two, 40 year old Manny Pacquiao probably has more life in him. Frankly I expect the notoriously lazy Broner to be flummoxed by the sheer activity of Pacquiao, who by contrast is so passionate about boxing he can compete at its highest level and hold political office at the same time.

The Ninth Layer fucked around with this message at 05:26 on Jan 20, 2019

The Ninth Layer
Jun 20, 2007

If anyone else is around for Pacquiao-Broner, feel free to come hang out in discord:
https://discord.gg/9J7XVG

Badou Jack vs Marcus Browne is about to start.

thehappyprince
Apr 4, 2006

Alastair Cock

holy poo poo that cut

The Ninth Layer
Jun 20, 2007

That's easily the worst cut I've ever seen on a guy who then survived six rounds and finished a fight anyway.

thehappyprince
Apr 4, 2006

Alastair Cock

i think it’s the worst one i’ve seen ever tbh

DumbWhiteGuy
Jul 4, 2007

You need haters. Fellas if you got 20 haters, you need 40 of them motherfuckers. If there's any haters in here that don't have nobody to hate on, feel free to hate on me

:nms:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

thehappyprince
Apr 4, 2006

Alastair Cock

if manny can’t stop broner here there’s zero worth in a floyd rematch

[customary call to ban national anthems at boxing events]