Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Cigar Aficionado
Nov 1, 2004

"Patel"? Fuck you.

The SituAsian posted:

This may be better suited as a pm but I'll post since it may lead to discussion.

Demetrius Andrade is returning on the 21st as the cofeature to Jezreel Corrales. He's officially moving to 160 as well so, if they both win, do you (mostly @ Cigar Aficionado but whoever) rate him as someone who could challenge Danny Jacobs since it seems that what HBO is trying to build up to now that both are signed to multi fight deals on the network

EDIT: In non one on one posting Showtime Sports just uploaded the full Joshua-Klitschko fight to their youtube channel. Joshua-Wilder confirmed ????????? I know it's because they are airing the Pulev fight on the 28th

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_Hq09rPv3hs

I always considered Andrade to be the only guy from 140-154 who could beat Floyd Mayweather Jr in the last few years of his career. He was massive at 154, and even at 160; standing 6'1 with a 74" reach. He's also an Amateur World Championship gold medallist, and is physically gifted and technically sound as well, so he's just about the total package.

Unfortunately, his career has been badly mishandled, and he's only fought 4 times in the last 4 years. I didn't think he was at all impressive against the limited Jack Culcay in March, so I'll have to at least see an impressive performance in his next fight before I'd be comfortable tapping him over Jacobs. I still think his theoretical ceiling is higher than anyone at 160, and that includes Canelo and a 36 year old Golovkin, but he's barely fought in the last few years and he's now moving up to a new weight class. He's gone from a pure elite blue chip prospect to a bit of an enigma in my book.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cigar Aficionado
Nov 1, 2004

"Patel"? Fuck you.
And that stoppage in the Eubank Jr/Yildirim fight was too fast, Yildirim was trying to get up, but I don't think it would have mattered. He got absolutely smoked and even if he got up, Eubank would have finished him in that round.

Not sure the fight says much though. Eubank looked great of course but Yildirim was custom made for him and was also exposed as not an elite level fighter.

Lionel Richie
Nov 14, 2004

Groves v Eubank Jr is a good crossroads fight, I hope it doesn't get hosed up by Groves doing a Groves and somehow losing to Jamie Cox, or by boxing doing a boxing and there being some bullshit.

kimbo305
Jun 9, 2007

actually, yeah, I am a little mad
:( http://www.detroitnews.com/story/news/local/detroit-city/2017/10/08/fire-destroys-iconic-kronk-gym-detroit/744167001/

biglads
Feb 21, 2007

I could've gone to Blatherwycke

:(

Jack B Nimble
Dec 25, 2007

Soiled Meat
That sucks, especially since they called the fire suspicious.

The SituAsian
Oct 29, 2006

I'm a mess in distress
But we're still the best dressed
Thanks to Miguel Cotto and Golden Boy Promotions for making sure my hobbies provide me with less and less enjoyment

https://twitter.com/HBOboxing/status/918193603201175557

EDIT: Peter Quillin when asked about his thoughts on Miguel Cotto's reported final fight being against Sadam Ali

https://twitter.com/KIDCHOCOLATE/status/915397978776580096

The SituAsian fucked around with this message at 05:54 on Oct 12, 2017

Cigar Aficionado
Nov 1, 2004

"Patel"? Fuck you.
It's preposterous that Miguel Cotto is going to go out fighting Yoshihiro Kamegai and Sadam Ali. They're both totally anonymous. I don't really believe this will be his last fight.

Cigar Aficionado fucked around with this message at 05:56 on Oct 12, 2017

eshock
Sep 2, 2004

Is it worth paying $50 to watch Tony Yoka crush a can tomorrow night? I may have the opportunity to go.

Mao Zedong Thot
Oct 16, 2008

Any of these fights look to be particularly good tonight?

tesilential
Nov 22, 2004

by Fluffdaddy

eshock posted:

Is it worth paying $50 to watch Tony Yoka crush a can tomorrow night? I may have the opportunity to go.

I usually pay $30 to watch nobodies fight so yeah

Duke Pukem
Oct 23, 2010

Three cheers for dark beer!

Hurd v Trout has been great

CommonShore
Jun 6, 2014

A true renaissance man

Care Bear Stairs posted:

Hurd v Trout has been great

Duke Pukem
Oct 23, 2010

That was a war, Trout had nothing left, his corner did the right thing

CommonShore
Jun 6, 2014

A true renaissance man

Care Bear Stairs posted:

That was a war, Trout had nothing left, his corner did the right thing

The SituAsian
Oct 29, 2006

I'm a mess in distress
Excessive emptyquoting :mad:

Seriously though that was an unexpectedly great fight. Hurd is far from perfect but Trout wasn't going to hurt him and probably didn't have the legs to box him for 12 rounds.

CommonShore
Jun 6, 2014

A true renaissance man

The SituAsian posted:

Excessive emptyquoting :mad:

Seriously though that was an unexpectedly great fight. Hurd is far from perfect but Trout wasn't going to hurt him and probably didn't have the legs to box him for 12 rounds.

:agreed:

Mao Zedong Thot
Oct 16, 2008

Trout was in it until he sat down on the stool that last time, you could tell he was done instantly. Good fight.

Mao Zedong Thot
Oct 16, 2008

Wow look at that utterly fair and reasonable scoring. What sport is this again?

Truther Vandross
Jun 17, 2008

Holy gently caress

Duke Pukem
Oct 23, 2010

HOLY poo poo

The SituAsian
Oct 29, 2006

I'm a mess in distress
Lubin with the most classic fencing response since Fernando Montiel

CommonShore
Jun 6, 2014

A true renaissance man

sportsgenius86 posted:

Holy gently caress

I was tempted to empty quote again because that's easier for me to do without sitting up, but I looked away for 1/4 second to read a post while the round was slow and then I missed it.

Jump King
Aug 10, 2011

um

Villain's Mask
Nov 28, 2004

This post he typed in cold blood with a toothpick
I still don't think I clearly see the punch.

Oh, now I see it. drat.

Villain's Mask fucked around with this message at 04:30 on Oct 15, 2017

Jump King
Aug 10, 2011

The SituAsian posted:

Lubin with the most classic fencing response since Fernando Montiel

That was way scarier than the classic stiff arm fencing response, the twitchiness was quite something

Mao Zedong Thot
Oct 16, 2008

drat

The SituAsian
Oct 29, 2006

I'm a mess in distress
The Charlo twins are the World Star version of the Dirrell brothers

CommonShore
Jun 6, 2014

A true renaissance man

such a strange angle of contact. None of the cameras even had a clean view of it.

Duke Pukem
Oct 23, 2010

gausha looks outclassed, unsurprisingly

pretty boring fight so far

E: nice knockdown though

CommonShore
Jun 6, 2014

A true renaissance man

Lara is really good. And now I'm going to bed with two rounds remaining in the fight.

The SituAsian
Oct 29, 2006

I'm a mess in distress
What kind of idiot would put Lara in the main event?

Monday Bandele
Apr 26, 2008
Looks like someone doesn't appreciate the Cuban School...look for the punches he's NOT throwing

CommonShore
Jun 6, 2014

A true renaissance man

The SituAsian posted:

What kind of idiot would put Lara in the main event?

More like what kind of genius. If we had to sit through that fight between the other two, many of us would have missed either the crazy brawl or the scary KO because we would have turned it off or fallen asleep. As it is, we got the best fights and we were able to go do something else, satisfied that we had seen all of the content.

Always put your worst fight on last so that people can leave and beat traffic.

Jump King
Aug 10, 2011

I've seen some people online suggest that Lubin's ea got hit hard, which messed his balance and equilibrium. I'm not sure about that (he sort of dropped like a sack of bricks) but it would explain why his legs were twitching, why his fencing response looked weird (arms extending and coming back rather than staying stiff) and why he was up at the count of 8 after all that.

The SituAsian
Oct 29, 2006

I'm a mess in distress
Pulev is injured so Carlos Takam is in against Joshua.

https://twitter.com/EddieHearn/status/920024086851522567

Jump King
Aug 10, 2011

v0v

I don't have any strong feelings about that. It's not a fight to get excited about but it'll be the second best name on Joshua's resume. Coming off of the Klitschko fight this is a bit of a let down but it's not like Pulev was a tantalizing opponent either.

I do think this is something of a step down though, given that Pulev has generally been regarded as a top 5 heavyweight for the past 5 years. Pulev has some question marks about his actual quality because of his age, level of opposition and his lacklustre performance against Klitschko, but he'd have been a decent resume building scalp regardless.

Takam is potentially trickier to actually fight, but the size and age difference don't bode well for him.

MrBling
Aug 21, 2003

Oozing machismo
So the guy that was touted as the next big hope in Danish boxing, the next Kessler got his rear end handed to him by John Ryder this weekend.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BSzo3ffh_5M

Of course, as happens with so many of these guys (particularly in danish boxing) they get all hyped up and also buy into their own hype.

If you look at Patrick Nielsen's record he has a fought a bunch of useless nobodies and the moment he fights someone even remotely competent (Dmitry Chudinov) he gets destroyed.
I feel a bit sad for him because when he came up the promoter was desperate for a new star since Kessler had stopped, so they just pushed this guy and surrounded him with yes men.
On the other hand, his terrible tattoos make it harder to really feel sorry for him.

The SituAsian
Oct 29, 2006

I'm a mess in distress
Gonna finally get that belt off of Billy Joe :getin:

https://twitter.com/danrafaelespn/status/920410055849205761

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jack B Nimble
Dec 25, 2007

Soiled Meat

MrBling posted:

So the guy that was touted as the next big hope in Danish boxing, the next Kessler got his rear end handed to him by John Ryder this weekend.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BSzo3ffh_5M

Of course, as happens with so many of these guys (particularly in danish boxing) they get all hyped up and also buy into their own hype.

So that was the very end of round 2? He looked tired, with a pawing jab. Was he out of shape, or tense, or something else? Was his nose bleeding before the last hit?

Is John Ryder a journeyman gatekeeper or something below that?