Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

meat CRime
Jun 12, 2010

ham, turkey, roast beef, cold cuts, North Carolina, vienna sausage
Grimey Drawer

boop the snoot posted:

GGG-Canelo coming May 5th.

Hope they get a better judge this time around!

Either way it'll probably be another good fight.

I kind of hope this falls through. Just another robbery for GGG on a Mexican holiday. Have the fight 4th of July or Dec 16th to even things up ffs.

I know Mexicans love boxing and they love Canelo, but I want a pure fight between two of the very best in their weight. Some of the best fighters I've ever seen have been Mexican, but if Canelo is such hot poo poo he should be able to do it on the 4th or some other neutral holiday.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

mike-
Jul 9, 2004

Phillipians 1:21
So you think it’s more likely to be fixed for canelo if it’s on may fifth??

Duke Pukem
Oct 23, 2010

Three cheers for dark beer!

holy poo poo, that was a hell of a comeback and a KO by Mattice

doctor thodt
Apr 2, 2004

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

mike- posted:

So you think it’s more likely to be fixed for canelo if it’s on may fifth??

Given that boxing never fails to demonstrate how fundamentally idiotic and corrupt it is, I don't see why this is such a ridiculous thing to think. What better proof than the first fight do you need that literally anything can happen in boxing regardless of objective reality?

doctor thodt fucked around with this message at 05:29 on Feb 3, 2018

The SituAsian
Oct 29, 2006

I'm a mess in distress
But we're still the best dressed

doctor thodt posted:

Given that boxing never fails to demonstrate how fundamentally idiotic and corrupt it is, I don't see why this is such a ridiculous thing to think. What better proof than the first fight do you need that literally anything can happen in boxing regardless of objective reality?

I think he was more arguing that there's no reason to suspect that there's a greater chance of their being foul play (or more likely just bad/biased scoring) because it's on Cinco De Mayo rather than another day.

Which I honestly don't think is even necessary. Maybe Triple g has one last great night in him but I just have a feeling that he's past it and Canelo, having gone the 12 rounds already, is going to make and be able to execute the gameplan and actually pull off a legit win.

Newfie
Oct 8, 2013

10 years of oil boom and 20 billion dollars cash, all I got was a case of beer, a pack of smokes, and 14% unemployment.
Thanks, Danny.

Care Bear Stairs posted:

holy poo poo, that was a hell of a comeback and a KO by Mattice

Yeah, I was sitting back sipping some whiskey sours, waiting on a unanimous decision when bam, Mattice turned it into something eventful.

doctor thodt
Apr 2, 2004

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

The SituAsian posted:

I think he was more arguing that there's no reason to suspect that there's a greater chance of their being foul play (or more likely just bad/biased scoring) because it's on Cinco De Mayo rather than another day.

Which I honestly don't think is even necessary. Maybe Triple g has one last great night in him but I just have a feeling that he's past it and Canelo, having gone the 12 rounds already, is going to make and be able to execute the gameplan and actually pull off a legit win.

Cinco de Mayo = Canelo-friendly crowd = potential for judges to be influenced by the energy in the arena. Boxing.

Duke Pukem
Oct 23, 2010

Three cheers for dark beer!

Younan-Ellis wasnt a good fight, but it was interesting. I think it was a draw

E: split draw, not surprised

Duke Pukem fucked around with this message at 06:24 on Feb 3, 2018

Newfie
Oct 8, 2013

10 years of oil boom and 20 billion dollars cash, all I got was a case of beer, a pack of smokes, and 14% unemployment.
Thanks, Danny.

Care Bear Stairs posted:

Younan-Ellis wasnt a good fight, but it was interesting. I think it was a draw

E: split draw, not surprised

Good decision there. Liked Ellis on the back half but it wasn't enough to swing it.

Jump King
Aug 10, 2011

doctor thodt posted:

Cinco de Mayo = Canelo-friendly crowd = potential for judges to be influenced by the energy in the arena. Boxing.

Canelo fights twice a year, once on cinco de mayo and once on mexican independence day

I don't really think thats going to influence anything more than its already going to be influenced.

Jump King
Aug 10, 2011

WBSS will be streamed on youtube today

Main event should be good

doctor thodt
Apr 2, 2004

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

MMM Whatchya Say posted:

Canelo fights twice a year, once on cinco de mayo and once on mexican independence day

I don't really think thats going to influence anything more than its already going to be influenced.

I mean, that's kinda my point. Don't tell me that's unintentional or can't influence decisions in both tangible and intangible ways. Anyway, I'm glad they're fighting again, but I do see GGG on the decline and wonder whether he's got enough killer instinct in him for one last KO. I wouldn't be sad to see him retire if he ends this fight early. Any time I think about Sergio's last couple of fights after JCC Jr, I get pretty sad.

Jack B Nimble
Dec 25, 2007

Soiled Meat

Holy poo poo what is this?? I've got it on now, it's an undercard. This is awesome!

Edit: these guys are exhausted.

Edit2: Not bad infighting in the final round, I can only imagine how many punches those guys threw if that's how they were in round 10.

Jack B Nimble fucked around with this message at 20:46 on Feb 3, 2018

Jump King
Aug 10, 2011

doctor thodt posted:

I mean, that's kinda my point. Don't tell me that's unintentional

It is intentional, because those are the two biggest days for boxing and you get the most ppv money from fighting on those days. It's not about tapping into some magic mexican spirit where judges give you lopsided scores because it's a mexican holiday rather than the regular reasons of favouring the A side fighter or getting a fat check

Anyway Gassiev - Dorticos should be on around 5 - Really good cruiser unification fight, the winner will take on Usyk for undisputed

Jump King
Aug 10, 2011

About to start, I know I'm the only person interested in it, but the main event has a different stream than the undercard for some byzantine reason

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tC_3-1Hcc-Y

If you're a boxing fan though do yourself a favour and watch this

The SituAsian
Oct 29, 2006

I'm a mess in distress

MMM Whatchya Say posted:

About to start, I know I'm the only person interested in it, but the main event has a different stream than the undercard for some byzantine reason

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tC_3-1Hcc-Y

If you're a boxing fan though do yourself a favour and watch this

I'm only here for ring announcer David Diamante :colbert:

Jump King
Aug 10, 2011

The production level on the WBSS is so over the top, everything is so dramatic and I love it

Monday Bandele
Apr 26, 2008

MMM Whatchya Say posted:

The production level on the WBSS is so over the top, everything is so dramatic and I love it

It's amazing, I can only assume Kalle Sauerland is planning to OD on cocaine soon and not pick up the bill for any of it

The SituAsian
Oct 29, 2006

I'm a mess in distress

Monday Bandele posted:

It's amazing, I can only assume Kalle Sauerland is planning to OD on cocaine soon and not pick up the bill for any of it

Nah, Tricky Dick Schafer just got it all from the PBC production cost firesale.

The SituAsian
Oct 29, 2006

I'm a mess in distress
Also Kalle has probably done so much coke in his life he wouldn't die from an overdose, it would just give him superpowers or something.

Interesting fight so far. Dorticos up 2-0 imo

Marching Powder
Mar 8, 2008

stop the fucking fight, cornerman, your dude is fucking done and is about to be killed.
drat only watched since the seventh and it's great action.

Monday Bandele
Apr 26, 2008
Dorticos is a bizarro Cuban, poo poo technically but a granite chin

Marching Powder
Mar 8, 2008

stop the fucking fight, cornerman, your dude is fucking done and is about to be killed.
if dorticos had anything other than a thudding foreman one two he might have the chin and the stamina to put gassiev out. as it stands though, nah.

Marching Powder
Mar 8, 2008

what a fight though

Jump King
Aug 10, 2011

:O

Jump King
Aug 10, 2011

Cart Mountain
Nov 1, 2004

cool finish

Mao Zedong Thot
Oct 16, 2008

Wild fight

The SituAsian
Oct 29, 2006

I'm a mess in distress
Fight was effectively over at the point of the first knockdown but love me a good through the ropes ko I do.

Marching Powder
Mar 8, 2008

wow

Monday Bandele
Apr 26, 2008
Should have been stopped after the second knockdown, Dorticos didn't deserve an embarrassing KO like that

The SituAsian
Oct 29, 2006

I'm a mess in distress
The last punch didn't even land really but it clipped the top of Dorticos's head and he had nothing at all left.

Still think Usyk has to be the favorite to win though. Gassiev didn't really come on until Dorticos had gassed and Usyk probably has the skills to keep him at bay.

Jump King
Aug 10, 2011

Gassiev has the most magical weapon you can have in your boxing arsenal: Adaptability

That fight started very close, with Dorticos getting off better in exchanges and having the chin and stamina to get last a long time, but Gassiev adapted and Dorticos couldn't.

Dort has always made his bones off the 1-2, and has the power to make that work. He's a good boxer, but when you a limited arsenal and your opponent takes it away from you, that's it. We saw a similar story with Rigo actually.

Usyk-Gassiev for undisputed will be a hell of a thing.

Monday Bandele
Apr 26, 2008
Would the winner become the best ever CW? I love Holyfield but I feel his era of cruisers pales in comparison to the current one.

Jump King
Aug 10, 2011

Would certainly have an excellent argument and one of the best resumes ever, comparisons to Holyfield will be tough while they're still active because of the rose coloured glasses we look at retired fighters with.

It depends a little bit on what they do also. If they stick around and keep defending their titles they'll quickly build a legacy. Holyfield moved up after his biggest CW accomplishments, but as a result we don't even really know much he could have continued to dominate the division. Given how well he did against a strong generation of heavyweights though, I think it's fair to say he's the best.

I do think this generation of Cruisers is something else though. Now that the heavyweights are all giants, regular big guys actually have a reason to stay in cruiser.

The winner of the tournment has a date with Lebedev too, should be a good fight even though Gassiev already beat him.

The real question is how Ward would do against these guys.

Lionel Richie
Nov 14, 2004

Settle down boys. They're arguably not even the best cruiserweights in the last 10 years, and no one stays there for very long

Jump King
Aug 10, 2011

I'm not convinced David Haye would trounce Gassiev and Usyk

The SituAsian
Oct 29, 2006

I'm a mess in distress
So much for boxing on free TV as it appears that Crawford-Horn and Manny-(probably) Alvarado is probably going to be on PPV in April. And I'm going to buy it. I'm so so sorry.

http://www.boxingscene.com/pacquiao-crawford-horn-double-pay-per-view-bound--124985

Jump King
Aug 10, 2011

Pac may well have a few good fights left and they're sticking him on a loving undercard, christ, what disrespect

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The SituAsian
Oct 29, 2006

I'm a mess in distress
Counterpoint: Manny getting knocked out by Mike Alvarado would be the greatest thing ever