Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Cigar Aficionado
Nov 1, 2004

"Patel"? Fuck you.

Cigar Aficionado posted:

Despite his latest TKO wins, Sergei Kovalev looks finished to me at the elite level. He's consistently looked gassed early in fights since the Chilemba fight, he looks even slower and more hittable than usual, and he's almost 35 and I'm sure the drinking and smoking did him no favours. He did not sound confident in the post Mikhalkin fight interview either, and seemed to feud with his new trainer during the fight as well.

He loses his next big fight.

Kovalev has signed to fight Marcus Browne next, an undefeated American Olympian, likely on June 23rd. Browne is mostly unproven, so it's not a big fight per se, but Kovalev could definitely lose this one if Browne is legit. Browne's 8 years younger than Kovalev and in his prime at 27, and is faster, longer, fresher, and on the up. Browne passed up a mandatory title fight with Artur Beterbiev for this, so he didn't have to fight Kovalev for a title shot, but he took it, assumably because Browne likes his chances. Will be a fight to watch.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jose
Jul 24, 2007

Adrian Chiles is a broadcaster and writer
this was probably posted but lmao

https://twitter.com/business/status/976411227449634816

lol

https://twitter.com/guardian/status/976482309347119106

Jose fucked around with this message at 16:41 on Mar 21, 2018

Snowman_McK
Jan 31, 2010

Cigar Aficionado posted:

Lennox Lewis is correct, the WBO was a fringe belt, ala the IBO today, during the 1990s. It was only first held by a heavyweight in 1989 (by some Italian nobody), and then was held by the likes of Tommy Morrison, Michael Bentt, Herbie Hide, and Henry Akinwande during the 90s; fringe contenders all. It was only legitimized because Wladimir held it throughout the 2000s - after Lewis unified with Holyfield in '99.

Isn't Mauro Ranallo more of a WWE and MMA guy? What does he know about boxing?

I can assure you that Ranallo is loving terrible on MMA as well.

Cigar Aficionado
Nov 1, 2004

"Patel"? Fuck you.

Snowman_McK posted:

I can assure you that Ranallo is loving terrible on MMA as well.

Despite Showtime putting on better fights than HBO lately, their announcing crew remains decidedly second rate to HBO's.

The SituAsian
Oct 29, 2006

I'm a mess in distress
But we're still the best dressed
Oh drat

https://twitter.com/danrafaelespn/status/977388558955745280

Cigar Aficionado
Nov 1, 2004

"Patel"? Fuck you.
So uh Canelo is "temporarily suspended" after failing two tests for clenbuterol, has to interview with the Nevada commission on April 10th, and the fight could potentially (however unlikely) be cancelled outright.

http://www.espn.com/boxing/story/_/id/22889219/canelo-alvarez-temporarily-suspended-nevada-state-athletic-commission

Marching Powder
Mar 8, 2008

stop the fucking fight, cornerman, your dude is fucking done and is about to be killed.
quick update to that story - after finding out how much money vegas was going to lose efforts were redoubled to expedite the trial on the foul animal that polluted the body of the mexican star with performance enhancing drugs. the beast in question was subsequently retroactively found guilty of treason and sentenced to be killed and eaten by canelo, which has already happened. the match will proceed unhindered.

Marching Powder fucked around with this message at 06:27 on Mar 24, 2018

The SituAsian
Oct 29, 2006

I'm a mess in distress
I mean I would assume that the fight will go regardless as well but stranger things have happened. If I were BJS i would definitely start up training. Another option would be the Danny Jacobs rematch as he's already got a fight the week before

Jump King
Aug 10, 2011

IIRC, both samples were in the realm of what could be expected from "tainted meat" with the second one being like one tenth the levels of the first test. The commission will decide this is all fine after a brief two week suspension etc.

The SituAsian
Oct 29, 2006

I'm a mess in distress
Jesus Dillian Whyte just killed Lucas Browne

coronaball
Feb 6, 2005

You're finished, pork-o-nazi!
That was loving brutal from start to finish.

Jump King
Aug 10, 2011

I watched a replay and christ

Julio Cruz
May 19, 2006
That's literally the first time I've ever been impressed by Whyte so either he's got better or Browne is absolute loving trash.

Duke Pukem
Oct 23, 2010

Three cheers for dark beer!

good lord, that was a brutal KO

The SituAsian
Oct 29, 2006

I'm a mess in distress

Julio Cruz posted:

That's literally the first time I've ever been impressed by Whyte so either he's got better or Browne is absolute loving trash.

Probably a bit from column A but way more column B. Browne had only fought once since 2016- after beating washed Ruslan Chagev and pissing hot- against some journeyman with a sub 500 record. He looked soft, threw around 40% of his career average and was a literal walking heavy bag.

Whyte will probably get Wilder next and get destroyed but at least the promotion will be fun and (assuming AJ beats Parker) the final domino that falls before Joshua-Wilder

EDIT: VVVVV https://twitter.com/HBOboxing/status/977680501178884096

The SituAsian fucked around with this message at 02:54 on Mar 25, 2018

Marching Powder
Mar 8, 2008

stop the fucking fight, cornerman, your dude is fucking done and is about to be killed.
Post the brutal ko you animals

Julio Cruz
May 19, 2006

The SituAsian posted:

Probably a bit from column A but way more column B. Browne had only fought once since 2016- after beating washed Ruslan Chagev and pissing hot- against some journeyman with a sub 500 record. He looked soft, threw around 40% of his career average and was a literal walking heavy bag.

Yeah I think you're right. At some point one of the Sky commentators said something like "how did this guy ever manage to become a world champion" which was pretty much what I was thinking at the time.

The SituAsian
Oct 29, 2006

I'm a mess in distress
Well at least it will be easy getting tickets to GGG-Demetrius Andrade

https://twitter.com/danrafaelespn/status/978727797442121728

willie_dee
Jun 21, 2010
I obtain sexual gratification from observing people being inflicted with violent head injuries
Anyone else excited for Joshua vs Parker?

Quizzlefish
Jan 26, 2005

Am I not merciful?

willie_dee posted:

Me! But I'm in a stupid timezone so I'll have to watch a replay.

I like both fighters, they seem like good blokes. It's a shame one has to lose. I hope Joshua doesn't knock him out too fast.

The SituAsian
Oct 29, 2006

I'm a mess in distress

willie_dee posted:

Only if Deontay Wilder jumps into the ring after the fight and starts yelling "Bomb Squad" in the winner's face

Loving Africa Chaps
Dec 3, 2007

We had not left it yet, but when I would wake in the night, I would lie, listening, homesick for it already.

The SituAsian posted:

Only if Deontay Wilder jumps into the ring after the fight and starts yelling "Bomb Squad" in the winner's face

There's like 10 heavyweights who are going to try and get into the ring after the fight

Jump King
Aug 10, 2011

The SituAsian posted:

Request Denied

The SituAsian
Oct 29, 2006

I'm a mess in distress

Between this and Canelo-GGG 2 being (in all likelihood) canceled this is truly the worst timeline. Oh yeah-and everything else ever that's happened

https://twitter.com/danrafaelespn/status/979492272520736771

EDIT: Hearing was pushed back from the 10th to the 18th and now NSAC is saying this. MGM-who run events held at T-Mobile Arena-is offering refunds too. Yup, wipe this one off the calendar.

https://twitter.com/KevinI/status/979421660959752192

https://www.badlefthook.com/2018/3/29/17177316/mgm-offering-refunds-for-canelo-vs-golovkin-ii

The SituAsian fucked around with this message at 01:13 on Mar 30, 2018

Lionel Richie
Nov 14, 2004

They'd have only robbed GGG worse anyway, no way is he winning that without a knock out

Jump King
Aug 10, 2011

The SituAsian posted:

Between this and Canelo-GGG 2 being (in all likelihood) canceled this is truly the worst timeline.

We had a good run in 2017, let's not forget that.

TBH though, I feel like boxing has too much momentum to not bounce back in short order, this year still has a lot of cool fights lined up, like the recently "confirmed" Pacquiao-Matthysse (Although I'm still a touch skeptical on it)

The SituAsian
Oct 29, 2006

I'm a mess in distress

MMM Whatchya Say posted:

We had a good run in 2017, let's not forget that.

TBH though, I feel like boxing has too much momentum to not bounce back in short order, this year still has a lot of cool fights lined up, like the recently "confirmed" Pacquiao-Matthysse (Although I'm still a touch skeptical on it)

True, this is pretty disappointing the moment but you are right that there is ton of momentum from a lot of places (lot of good fights still being made, various new media deals) that at the very least we should avoid the every other year curse completely.

That being said I would assume Golovkin still wants to fight on May 5 no matter what. Ideally it would be the Jacobs rematch or Saunders for all the belts but if he ends up fighting Spike O'Sullivan or Sergiy Derevyanchenko then it's better than nothing I guess. At least very least those wouldn't be on pay per view.

And I can take advantage of the deals in Vegas and get to the right :getin:

Josuke Higashikata
Mar 7, 2013

On one hand, gently caress dopers in contact sports and gently caress Canelo.
On the other, that Khan KO.

Shirkelton
Apr 6, 2009

I'm not loyal to anything, General... except the dream.
I'm imagining a deflated, flabby Canelo chasing after a Khan that's just wobbling all round like he did against Maidana.

Monday Bandele
Apr 26, 2008
We don't need GGG-Canelo 2, everybody knows who really won. If it's not on the level what's the point. Only downside is GGG losing a huge payday he deserves.

thehappyprince
Apr 4, 2006

Alastair Cock

should scrap the murray fight and have ggg vs bjs

Truther Vandross
Jun 17, 2008

Have Golovkin fight Adelaide Byrd

Jack B Nimble
Dec 25, 2007

Soiled Meat
I can hear lederman now " ok jim it turns out if the fighters head is punched clean off the judges should score it a 10 8 round, but there's no rule in the Nevada State athletic commission that actually requires them to do so. Back to you!"

Jump King
Aug 10, 2011

thehappyprince posted:

should scrap the murray fight and have ggg vs bjs

Probably not going happen: BJS is scheduled fight in June, allegedly he has a hand injury right now and GGG obviously wants to hold onto a May 5th date. The potential replacements are Sergiy Derevyanchenko or Boo Boo Andrade right now.

The SituAsian
Oct 29, 2006

I'm a mess in distress

MMM Whatchya Say posted:

Probably not going happen: BJS is scheduled fight in June, allegedly he has a hand injury right now and GGG obviously wants to hold onto a May 5th date. The potential replacements are Sergiy Derevyanchenko or Boo Boo Andrade right now.

Spike o'Sullivan-who is actually already on a Golden Boy on ESPN card the night before-is a name I'm seeing a bit of. GGG would absolutely wreck him.

I certainly don't think Andrade can beat Golovkin-if he ever could- but I worry the fight would be a real stinker. Sergiy could at least have some fireworks..

EDIT: And of course Keith Thurman is now hurt. Because why not

https://twitter.com/danrafaelespn/status/979863767046656000

The SituAsian fucked around with this message at 02:01 on Mar 31, 2018

Shirkelton
Apr 6, 2009

I'm not loyal to anything, General... except the dream.
Looks like it's time for Conor McGregor to come out of retirement.

Newfie
Oct 8, 2013

10 years of oil boom and 20 billion dollars cash, all I got was a case of beer, a pack of smokes, and 14% unemployment.
Thanks, Danny.

willie_dee posted:

Real excited for this. I like Joshua a lot and plan to make a full day out of the fight.

Jump King
Aug 10, 2011

Should I do a thread for this then?

willie_dee
Jun 21, 2010
I obtain sexual gratification from observing people being inflicted with violent head injuries

MMM Whatchya Say posted:

Should I do a thread for this then?

Ill subscribe to it for sure.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

willie_dee
Jun 21, 2010
My friends have offered me a ticket and take me across the bridge tonight but I don't like the crowds and drama at fights and unless you are ring side you can't really see any where near as good as watching on the TV.