Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Mao Zedong Thot
Oct 16, 2008

The SituAsian posted:

Not really. Horn was rushing in the first 4 rounds or so but getting timed. He stopped after that and was even getting pushed around the clinch then Crawford really put it on and it was over.

Crawford is probably the second best welterweight right now but unfortunately there's really no way for him to get the big fights for a while. Horn is at least a tough, serviceable guy which is really all he ever was

second to who?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

balancedbias
May 2, 2009
$$$$$$$$$

Mao Zedong Thot posted:

second to who?

Spence :colbert: I think that's a legendary fight if it can be had.

edit: \/\/\/\/\/ This is true and it makes me sad.

balancedbias fucked around with this message at 05:02 on Jun 10, 2018

thehappyprince
Apr 4, 2006

Alastair Cock

spence vs crawford would probably be the biggest hardcore boxing fan's fight since cotto margarito and would get watched by like 500 people

The SituAsian
Oct 29, 2006

I'm a mess in distress
But we're still the best dressed

Mao Zedong Thot posted:

second to who?

Yeah Errol Spence. I think-and most 'boxing people' would seem to agree- he's clearly above Thurman, Garcia, Porter at this point. I give the nod to Spence just because he's done more at the weight but it really is a more of a 1a and 1b thing at this point.

The SituAsian fucked around with this message at 05:06 on Jun 10, 2018

Jump King
Aug 10, 2011

The SituAsian posted:

Yeah Errol Spence. I think-and most 'boxing people' would seem to agree- he's clearly above Thurman, Garcia, Porter at this point. I give the nod to Spence just because he's done more at the weight but it really is a more of a 1a and 1b thing at this point.

I can't see either of them losing

balancedbias
May 2, 2009
$$$$$$$$$

Holy poo poo, Mares-Santa Cruz was awesome again!

meat CRime
Jun 12, 2010

ham, turkey, roast beef, cold cuts, North Carolina, vienna sausage
Grimey Drawer
bud loving owns

Lid
Feb 18, 2005

And the mercy seat is awaiting,
And I think my head is burning,
And in a way I'm yearning,
To be done with all this measuring of proof.
An eye for an eye
And a tooth for a tooth,
And anyway I told the truth,
And I'm not afraid to die.
But trainer Glenn Rushton genuinely believed the referee was too hasty in calling a stop to the fight.

“I thought that stoppage was too quick,” he said. “He actually got hurt more against Manny Pacquiao.

“Many of the rounds were very close ... we did say with four rounds to go, just hang in there, look for the opportunity.

“We were planning for a big finish, we wanted to bring it home really hard in the last two or three rounds but that didn’t quite happen.”

Early Stoppage Requesting Rematch!

The SituAsian
Oct 29, 2006

I'm a mess in distress

Lid posted:

But trainer Glenn Rushton genuinely believed the referee was too hasty in calling a stop to the fight.

“I thought that stoppage was too quick,” he said. “He actually got hurt more against Manny Pacquiao.

“Many of the rounds were very close ... we did say with four rounds to go, just hang in there, look for the opportunity.

“We were planning for a big finish, we wanted to bring it home really hard in the last two or three rounds but that didn’t quite happen.”

Early Stoppage Requesting Rematch!

I guess you could say he wasn't let out of the cage

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lpAZ0OdSuYg

Cigar Aficionado
Nov 1, 2004

"Patel"? Fuck you.
Horn and his side are obnoxious and whiny to the extreme. Good riddance.

Now pulling hard for Matthyse to beat Pacquiao now to save Manny from a life altering assault at the hands of Terence Crawford, but I have a sneaking suspicion he's going to need to knock Manny out to get a decision, as they say.

Crawford is obviously a special, top 3 pound for pound level talent. His power carried up to 147 and he's now in a marquee division. Unfortunately, it's a bit of a barren landscape there at the moment, especially when you consider that Keith Thurman is still on the shelf and is going to take a couple of tune-ups before any world class level fights, and Kell Brook has left for the 154 pound division. Other than that, there's Errol Spence, and the winner of Danny Garcia/Shawn Porter. That's about it, really, which is why I expect that regardless of what happens in Pacquiao/Matthyse (unless Matthyse dominates and stops Pacquiao), they're going to feed Pacquiao to Crawford at the end of the year.

Jump King
Aug 10, 2011

I mean, Errol Spence, Danny Garcia, Shawn Porter and Keith Thurman in like a year or two is more big name fighters than there ever were for Crawford at 140. Even Vargas, Broner and Omar Figueroa Jr are a decent enough supporting characters for the division too. Better than most of his 140 opposition at least. Welterweight also has no shortage of up and coming fighters and the nature of the division is such that there will always be names there.

Anyway, the current plan for a while has been to get Pacquiao to pass the torch to Lomachenko, not Crawford.

Marching Powder
Mar 8, 2008

stop the fucking fight, cornerman, your dude is fucking done and is about to be killed.
i've been meaning to ask: what did jeff horn do to piss off the entire continental united states? from my perspective he's just a tough school teacher who lucked into the victory of a lifetime which earned him a thorough beating at the hands of maybe the best boxer on planet earth. sounds cool to me.

Jump King
Aug 10, 2011

Marching Powder posted:

i've been meaning to ask: what did jeff horn do to piss off the entire continental united states? from my perspective he's just a tough school teacher who lucked into the victory of a lifetime which earned him a thorough beating at the hands of maybe the best boxer on planet earth. sounds cool to me.

He made a bunch of decidedly not #humble claims after the fight. And just generally instead of it being a fun chuck Wepner moment it was instead very frustrating

For example, there apparently making a Jeff horn movie this summer

The SituAsian
Oct 29, 2006

I'm a mess in distress

Marching Powder posted:

Horn himself seems like an ok guy but his trainer Glenn Rushton is a really weird svengali type who's transformed Horn from mild-mannered success story to just being insufferable. Here's a pretty interesting article about him and his philosophy. It's basically Tim Lane (Chris Algeri's trainer aka the "let him out of the cage" guy) mixed with Steven Segal and a dash of The Secret thrown in for good measure.

http://www.sportingnews.com/other-s...eb1hwjlm5j6qf5e

In actual relevant fighter news

https://twitter.com/danrafaelespn/status/1006301542591315968

Oh baby

ozymandius1024
Mar 15, 2006

You don't yank on the Spine of God

TheSituAsian posted:

Oh baby

gently caress yes :slick:

Cigar Aficionado
Nov 1, 2004

"Patel"? Fuck you.
Hell yeah. Fingers crossed it actually comes off.

Lionel Richie
Nov 14, 2004

I'd be surprised if it happens this year. They'd want a huge arena and it'll be a fuckin chilly night in late September or October at Wembley or Cardiff, if it isn't raining

Marching Powder
Mar 8, 2008

stop the fucking fight, cornerman, your dude is fucking done and is about to be killed.

The SituAsian posted:

Horn himself seems like an ok guy but his trainer Glenn Rushton is a really weird svengali type who's transformed Horn from mild-mannered success story to just being insufferable. Here's a pretty interesting article about him and his philosophy. It's basically Tim Lane (Chris Algeri's trainer aka the "let him out of the cage" guy) mixed with Steven Segal and a dash of The Secret thrown in for good measure.

http://www.sportingnews.com/other-s...eb1hwjlm5j6qf5e

Oh baby

Good poo poo.

Jump King
Aug 10, 2011

Lionel Richie posted:

I'd be surprised if it happens this year. They'd want a huge arena and it'll be a fuckin chilly night in late September or October at Wembley or Cardiff, if it isn't raining

A lot of fans want it as soon as possible, and I'm completely down for that, but I don't think it's a big deal if it's like next year or something.

Loving Africa Chaps
Dec 3, 2007

We had not left it yet, but when I would wake in the night, I would lie, listening, homesick for it already.

Lionel Richie posted:

There was talk of February if Joshua fights Povetkin but that's even colder.

Jump King
Aug 10, 2011

Oh no it might be as cold as 13 C in the UK

Loving Africa Chaps
Dec 3, 2007

We had not left it yet, but when I would wake in the night, I would lie, listening, homesick for it already.

MMM Whatchya Say posted:

Oh no it might be as cold as 13 C in the UK

It got as cold as -1 this February, I nearly died.

Has there ever been a heavyweight title fight in the rain?

Monday Bandele
Apr 26, 2008
Lennox Lewis - Frank Bruno was fought outside in the freezing cold and rain in October

Surely now they can just use the Millennium Stadium with the roof on?

Jose
Jul 24, 2007

Adrian Chiles is a broadcaster and writer

Loving Africa Chaps posted:

It got as cold as -1 this February, I nearly died.

Has there ever been a heavyweight title fight in the rain?

Typical southerner

Loving Africa Chaps
Dec 3, 2007

Monday Bandele posted:

Lennox Lewis - Frank Bruno was fought outside in the freezing cold and rain in October

Surely now they can just use the Millennium Stadium with the roof on?

Yeah for sure but I suspect they want Wembley because *national stadium* and bigger capacity

Jump King
Aug 10, 2011

So apparently there's a new deadline for the GGG-Canelo fight to get made. Approximately 57-43 split for Canelo-GGG has been offered.

I think I'm about the only person in the world who would rather that GGG skip the rematch and move on while Canelo fights Jacobs or whatever, but I have to admit this is a really good deal for Golovkin and he'd be out of his mind not to take it.

Marching Powder
Mar 8, 2008

MMM Whatchya Say posted:

I think I'm about the only person in the world who would rather that GGG skip the rematch and move on while Canelo fights Jacobs or whatever

nah, i don't give a poo poo. if it happens though i'm with it.

The SituAsian
Oct 29, 2006

I'm a mess in distress
Luckily it seems like the fights been made. Which is good for Golden Boy because they won't be promoting poo poo with those (not) fresh Deal or No Deal memes.

https://twitter.com/GoldenBoyBoxing/status/1007005368646373381?s=19

Vvvv: I've been saying that Golovkin is over the hill and he'll get beat cleanly (no pun intended) or stopped and I'm going to be sticking to that unless some unexpected changes my mind.

The SituAsian fucked around with this message at 23:24 on Jun 13, 2018

ozymandius1024
Mar 15, 2006

You don't yank on the Spine of God

The SituAsian posted:

Luckily it seems like the fights been made. Which is good for Golden Boy because they won't be promoting poo poo with those (not) fresh Deal or No Deal memes.

https://twitter.com/GoldenBoyBoxing/status/1007005368646373381?s=19

I know it'll probably end up like the first one (or worse), but I really hope he fucks Canelo up this go round.

Jump King
Aug 10, 2011

I’d like to think Golov can put it together for one last big performance

Julio Cruz
May 19, 2006
GGG won the last 2/3rds of the first fight easily having been a bit overcautious to start with. I don't see that happening this time, he's going to come out with the knowledge that Canelo can't really hurt him.

Jump King
Aug 10, 2011

It’s also fun to think that maybe Canelo is off the gear now and won’t be as good at cutting weight or whatever

Jump King
Aug 10, 2011

Golovkin put on a great a poker face to allegedly get a 55-45 split out of Canelo, by far his career highest pay day,

But the reason he was able to stay cool as a cucumber was because he allegedly had a deal with Saunders for the 25th of August if The Canelo fight fell through

Gotta say that Saunders has gotten the short end of the stick in this whole GGG/Canelo back and forth. This is like the third time he's had a deal fall through because of it. He was originally offered a deal to fight Canelo if you fought on the Smith undercard, but refused because they wouldn't put it in writing, then nearly had a deal with Golovkin made for summer 2017 before the first Canelo fight was announced, then this happened. All this time I've continually see Saunders get called a ducker online, which is weird because he's genuinely tried to fight the best.

Ah well.

Cigar Aficionado
Nov 1, 2004

"Patel"? Fuck you.
I'm with MMM Whatchya Say, I was ok with Golovkin moving on to other options, but I'm glad he got a better deal out of it and I don't think he's washed up either. He just crushed Vanes Martirosyan, who's a legit world class junior middleweight who'd never been stopped and had been competitive with Erislandy Lara, Jermell Charlo, and Demetrius Andrade - elite fighters all.

If anything, Alvarez is going to be at the disadvantage. He will have been off for a year without the tuneup that GGG got, and if he was juicing, he won't have that going for him this time either. I see the rematch going very similar to their first fight. Of course the judges could always just cynically give it to Alvarez if he wins even 4 rounds cleanly, but hopefully we get a controversy free outcome. It's hard for me to see Alvarez being active enough to win unless Golovkin has truly lost a step, but we will see in September.

This also probably (hopefully) means that Jacobs vs Derevyanchenko is made for the IBF title. Demetrius Andrade is also the mandatory to Billy Joe Saunders, so hopefully that fight can get made as well.

As Jermall Charlo is the WBC mandatory, this leaves him on the outside looking in. No real intriguing options for him in the short term until at least the Golovkin/Canelo rematch happens, and I can't see either of them being eager to jump into the ring with him immediately.

Marching Powder
Mar 8, 2008

If I were Saunders I'd stay warm in readiness for further tainted beef

Jump King
Aug 10, 2011

errol spence

The SituAsian
Oct 29, 2006

I'm a mess in distress

:thunk: I'll allow it.

But Luis Ocampos's liver won't.

Josuke Higashikata
Mar 7, 2013

let Golovkin dope up as much as Canelo for the second scrap

balancedbias
May 2, 2009
$$$$$$$$$

:colbert: :colbert: :colbert:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cigar Aficionado
Nov 1, 2004

"Patel"? Fuck you.
I don't see the Danny Garcia/Shawn Porter winner wanting anything to do with Errol Spence, and that goes double for Keith Thurman.