Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

hexwren
Feb 27, 2008

I'm an idiot who forgot to bookmark the new thread. What's been good so far this year while I've been working nights and unable to watch fights that I totally need to go torrent ASAP?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

hexwren
Feb 27, 2008

The SituAsian posted:

Managed to stay spoiler free and thank God. because that was loving incredible. Not an early stoppage at all considering how the round went. Bring on the rematch.

The torrents I got the card from had the fights split up across three files for some godunknown reason and staying spoiler-free involved having my partner go on boxrec and tell me the order of the fights from the other room so I knew which order to watch the first two files in.

Fantastic fight, though, I completely had Wlad winning it until that bonkers final round.

hexwren
Feb 27, 2008

That was the dumbest goddamn fight I've ever watched in my life and now I feel like a chump because you loving know that everyone in both camps knew this was just a setup to announce the Golovkin fight.

hexwren
Feb 27, 2008

Why the hell did Tillery get canned? Bowe swung first.

hexwren
Feb 27, 2008

hexwren
Feb 27, 2008

The Ninth Layer posted:

And Terence Crawford will actually be fighting Julius Indongo, also on ESPN on August 19th. Both fighters are undefeated and between them they have all 4 major world titles at 140 lb, making this a true unification fight where the winner can call himself the undisputed champ at light welterweight.

holy dick, it's been literally over a decade since we've had an undisputed champ at any weight

hexwren
Feb 27, 2008

VOTE YES ON 69 posted:

The flaming 'AJ' ringwalk countered any positives from that fight.

it's kinda dumb but I'm okay with dumb

the most annoying ringwalk I've seen of late was whoever was using "all of the lights" and they just played the song's music video (which credits all the people involved with the song and the video at the beginning of it) over the arena screens

get your own goddamn video or just skip the video portion of the proceedings

hexwren
Feb 27, 2008

So I'm working my way through all the weekend's fights. I've watched the HBO and PPV cards (and was really only entertained by Vargas-Rios and Cleverly-Jack, though Davis-Fonseca was an amazing loving shitshow.) I'll get to the PBC broadcast at some point, I'm ridiculously busy this week.

I don't particularly want to drag the whole MMA-vs-boxing thing into this thread, but as the fight thread was closed and defunct before I even saw all the fights, let alone read all the posts, I just want to sanity-check with the people who know both sides of the divide:

In the fight thread, it was implied that both MMA and boxing refs have approximately the same standards re: stopping fights to protect fighters who cannot defend themselves. I would certainly hope this is the case. Now. I've seen a shitton of boxing. I have seen exactly one MMA match. Actually, part of one MMA match because I couldn't really watch the whole thing, I looked away for a bit and looked back to see the fight end. But my point is that in that match---and sadly I don't remember who was in it, or else I'd go dig it up online to illustrate, I could swear it was from a UFC thing from a few years back (I was at the gym at the time and was testing out the television built into the treadmill)---within a minute of the first round beginning, one guy was on his back on the mat, the other guy was sitting on his chest and punching him in the head, and that's where we stayed until the bell rang. The guy on the mat could vaguely hold his arms in front of his face, making him not defenseless, so punching guy could go on smacking him in the side of the skull for two straight minutes. The second round went much the same as the first and I think the guy submitted or whatever because gently caress having your chest sat on while your skull is punched in. But, like, where the gently caress is the ref? Am I hallucinating? This is somehow the ultimate evolution of the martial arts?

I don't want to come off like I'm some kind of old-timey cranky rear end in a top hat from 1955 in a bad suit with a three-pack-a-day habit and a racing form in my pocket. I'm willing to listen if there's a reasonable explanation for this sort of thing. But...what the gently caress.

hexwren
Feb 27, 2008

I'm really not trying to come off like a hand-wringing "oh these modern fighters and their pants below the waist and their rap music" type, I just figured that getting sat on and your head smacked around wasn't kosher. I did some digging and here's the fight in question. The guy on the ground does a better job defending than I gave him credit for when I saw this three or four years ago, but it's still not great. His head still gets bounced off the floor and the fence a few times....ah, whatever. It just seems a bit excessive with this guy still catching elbows and fists to the head because his arms haven't dropped.

http://www.dailymotion.com/video/x13cxcb

hexwren
Feb 27, 2008

MysteryNad posted:

Using Fabio Maldonado as a measure for bad stoppages in MMA is not very productive. He's firmly in the camp of fighters that are way too tough for their own good. He's also too small for his weight class and the only person to finish him without a doctor stoppage is the current UFC Heavyweight champion who was 40lbs heavier than him.

Okay, so this is just straight-up not indicative of what the usual deal is. That makes me feel way better about it.

hexwren
Feb 27, 2008

I also hated that fight, but I blame all three camps. That was just a stupid, awkward infomercial advertised as a fight.

hexwren
Feb 27, 2008

The SituAsian posted:

Also two of the three judges are the very bad Adelaide Byrd and the very shady Dave Moretti so imo the pick has to be Canelo by (crooked) unanimous decision.

Yeah, it's over. gently caress.

hexwren
Feb 27, 2008

hexwren posted:

Yeah, it's over. gently caress.

I hate being right.

hexwren
Feb 27, 2008

Has Saunders fought anybody at all since getting the belt? I've literally heard nothing about him since I started watching fights again a couple years back. Hopefully Lemieux can take it off him --- a guy who actually fights on the regular.

hexwren
Feb 27, 2008

He did and it was loving great.

hexwren
Feb 27, 2008

That was a garbage decision, though, if memory serves.

hexwren
Feb 27, 2008

YOLOsubmarine posted:

The ref can’t do that. He can either stop the fight or let the guy continue taking a beating, but he can’t pause the fight to see if the guy is okay to keep taking a beating.

I think the doctor can ask for a look in the middle of a round, or do they have to wait for the gap between rounds?

hexwren
Feb 27, 2008

Cigar Aficionado posted:

I imagine Kellerman will do ESPN cards, unfortunately it will probably be with Stephen A Smith.

Is SAS the worst person in sports television, or is that just me?

hexwren
Feb 27, 2008

Cigar Aficionado posted:

Skip Bayless easily.

I thought he was no longer on television, but apparently he just went to fs1 which I guess is approximately the same thing

hexwren
Feb 27, 2008

okay can we be done with this unending profile of the dude's mom being a literal crazy person

hexwren
Feb 27, 2008

Benavidez has grabbed at his rear end like twenty times in this fight, and it's weirding me out. He just reaches back, yanks the shorts up a little and then goes back to work. Just tell your corner to fix your pants already

hexwren
Feb 27, 2008

also they need to never again act like it's a baseball game with a score everyone can see and interview a cornerman during a fight

"so it looked like the other guy took the last round handily, what's your thoughts on that?"

"I dunno what fight you were looking at, our guy is in control here."

that was one of the dumbest things I've ever seen

hexwren
Feb 27, 2008

floyd's gonna take some real stupid fights real quick, I think

hexwren
Feb 27, 2008

I am legit sad we're losing HBO, that was how I first saw boxing (well, that and CBS, but that was way back in the day).

With any luck, DAZN will pick up Lampley, or possibly ESPN.

That said,

https://www.hollywoodreporter.com/news/first-take-host-max-kellerman-signs-new-deal-espn-1167766

Kellerman is going to host the broadcast booth team, not ringside, for ESPN's fights, which means he's probably going to be in there with Stephen A. Smith, and I am just loving tired of SAS, and Kellerman is probably going to say some poo poo that gets him yelling like on worst first take, and it's going to be terrible.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

hexwren
Feb 27, 2008

forgot to set my DVR for the tyson-douglas 30 for 30, kicking myself

e: replaying in two hours on espn2, all is well

hexwren fucked around with this message at 09:08 on Dec 12, 2018