Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Marching Powder
Mar 8, 2008

stop the fucking fight, cornerman, your dude is fucking done and is about to be killed.

Loving Africa Chaps posted:

Also massive slap in the face that they weighted till this long to confirm it in order to sell more tickets.

nobody is that unfathomably stupid. the second it was announced everybody assumed bin man. second best cruiserweight in albania actually exceeds my expectations and it is still the worst fight that people will pay money for this year and that includes the potential rampage / 50 cent match.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Marching Powder
Mar 8, 2008

stop the fucking fight, cornerman, your dude is fucking done and is about to be killed.

Cigar Aficionado posted:

In better news, an extension to Callum Smith vs George Groves has been approved by the WBSS; it's being targeted for sometime in September. The laughable alternative would have been for Callum Smith to fight tournament loser Chris Eubank Jr, so thankfully we avoided that joke outcome. Hopefully Groves is fully fit for the fight.

The cruiserweight final involving Oleksandr Usyk and Murat Gassiev (and all 4 major belts) is also on track to happen; date is July 21st. No venue or even country has been finalized yet, though.

this is all really sick.

sorry about loma though. hope he comes out of it ok. i would be devastated if he didn't get a couple more scalps to solidify is already outstanding resume

Marching Powder
Mar 8, 2008

Noctone posted:

So I guess Canelo-GGG rematch is off indefinitely. GGG was demanding an even split and apparently that is unreasonable????

He deserves an equal split 100% and with charlo / Saunders etc in line I say gently caress Canelo. It isn't GGG 's image in tatters lol

Marching Powder
Mar 8, 2008

So the likelihood of a fury comeback is basically nil?

Marching Powder
Mar 8, 2008

STONE COLD 64 posted:

horn will win.

i don't think the guy who was seconds away from getting stopped by a 90 year old manny pacquiao is going to have much for bud but thanks for reminding me to place a bet

Marching Powder
Mar 8, 2008

MMM Whatchya Say posted:

Fun fact: Horn was knocked down by a 42 year old Randall Bailey and a 38 year old Ali Funeka. Maybe his weakness is old guys.

huh. that is interesting.

Marching Powder
Mar 8, 2008

MMM Whatchya Say posted:

yeah what it means is he's bad

terrence crawford by ko / tko r 4-6

Marching Powder
Mar 8, 2008

Was it competitive at all?

Marching Powder
Mar 8, 2008

i've been meaning to ask: what did jeff horn do to piss off the entire continental united states? from my perspective he's just a tough school teacher who lucked into the victory of a lifetime which earned him a thorough beating at the hands of maybe the best boxer on planet earth. sounds cool to me.

Marching Powder
Mar 8, 2008

The SituAsian posted:

Horn himself seems like an ok guy but his trainer Glenn Rushton is a really weird svengali type who's transformed Horn from mild-mannered success story to just being insufferable. Here's a pretty interesting article about him and his philosophy. It's basically Tim Lane (Chris Algeri's trainer aka the "let him out of the cage" guy) mixed with Steven Segal and a dash of The Secret thrown in for good measure.

http://www.sportingnews.com/other-s...eb1hwjlm5j6qf5e

In actual relevant fighter news

https://twitter.com/danrafaelespn/status/1006301542591315968

Oh baby

Good poo poo.

Marching Powder
Mar 8, 2008

MMM Whatchya Say posted:

I think I'm about the only person in the world who would rather that GGG skip the rematch and move on while Canelo fights Jacobs or whatever

nah, i don't give a poo poo. if it happens though i'm with it.

Marching Powder
Mar 8, 2008

If I were Saunders I'd stay warm in readiness for further tainted beef

Marching Powder
Mar 8, 2008

errol is definitely one of those guys who's is too risky to fight for the money you get for fighting him.

Marching Powder
Mar 8, 2008

where do you think josh kelly's ceiling is?

Marching Powder
Mar 8, 2008

the fury who got warned for inactivity against a bum? that fury? fighting who?

Marching Powder
Mar 8, 2008

doctor thodt posted:

It's weird that Pacquiao is fighting Matthysse tonight and nobody really cares, myself included

holy poo poo i legitimately did not know. it'll be good. might even switch over from the ufc to watch these two attempt to retire each other.

Marching Powder
Mar 8, 2008

thehappyprince posted:

lucas is so shot manny might actually get a stoppage

yeah i'm feeling it

Marching Powder
Mar 8, 2008

MMM Whatchya Say posted:

The WBSS Quarter Finals have been set in our new annual boxing tradition of the extremely awkward WBSS draft gala.

140:
Regis Prograis vs. Terry Flanagan
Josh Taylor vs. Ryan Martin
Kiryl Relikh vs. Eduard Troyanovsky
Ivan Baranchyk vs. Anthony Yigit

118:
Ryan Burnett vs. Nonito Donaire
Naoya Inoue vs. Juan Carlos Payano
Zolani Tete vs. Misha Aloyan
Emmanuel Rodriguez vs. Jason Moloney

i could have sworn the 118 bracket was supposed to be more intriguing than that. ah well. hope it's good.

i predict inoue won't fight 12 rounds before taking the title.

Marching Powder
Mar 8, 2008

MMM Whatchya Say posted:

I guess it's possible you guys just don't know bantamweight all that well, but 6 of those guys are in the top 8 of the division and the other two are Nonito Donaire and Misha Aloyan: a mutli time olympic medalist. It's basically the best the bracket can be without including Naoya's brother.

I mean I also think Inoue takes the tournament, but he is up 3 divisions from where he started and against the best that field has to offer, if it's a walk in the park that speaks incredible amounts about his ability.

i could have sworn the first iteration i saw everyone was ranked and sor rungvisai was in it.

Marching Powder
Mar 8, 2008

MMM Whatchya Say posted:

Sor Rungvisai is in the division below?

yeah, i was really excited because i thought we were going to see the sor rungvisai / inoue after inoue / gonzalez being talked about for so long as a potential superfight.

i was probably mistaken.

Marching Powder
Mar 8, 2008

ref could have stopped that fight about a minute and a half before the actual stoppage. guy did not want to be there. now i really wish rungvisai was in that 118 tournament like i dreamed he was.

Marching Powder
Mar 8, 2008

usyk's hypothetical success at heavyweight hinges entirely on whether or not he can take the punches. skill-wise, i think he could beat any active heavyweight on points.

Marching Powder
Mar 8, 2008

respect.

Marching Powder
Mar 8, 2008

I'll probably pick fury to control the range and dictate the pace for an ugly and lopsided and sort of tedious 12 rounds.

If you feel strongly either way, the odds are a pick em

Marching Powder
Mar 8, 2008

i really wish chocolatito hadn't fallen off like he did. he was an amazing fighter to watch. also, beating floyd to a legit 50-0 would have been sweet

Marching Powder
Mar 8, 2008

My money is on the guy who has fought before.

Marching Powder
Mar 8, 2008

So, er, who's winning? Besides the promoters.

Marching Powder
Mar 8, 2008

How do you lose so badly in a fight between 2 guys with 1 ammy fight between them that the towel needs to be thrown in?

Marching Powder
Mar 8, 2008

NotJustANumber99 posted:

has this happened? i dont understand youtube

OK the independent says it was a draw. never mind. sorry bye

Was it really a draw? I put a fiver on that lol

Marching Powder
Mar 8, 2008

i keep forgetting ggg / canelo 2 is fast approaching. how does everyone see it going? i'll be putting money on a draw regardless, but i'm not sure how the actual fight will play out because of two main wild cards:

1) does the recent drug scandal mean that canelo will be on heroic amounts of steroids or no steroids for the rematch? im not sure how it works in boxing but is there a way that enough money will allow canelo to be glowing en-route to the ring and piss clean or is there still some integrity in that department? if integrity exists and canelo goes in there unassisted and the first fight was him fully assisted then i don't like canelo's chances.

2) ggg is now 400 years old. he looked great against matriosyan but that tells us literally nothing. has time affected his stamina or power?

i'd like to see ggg work canelo's body a whole bunch more and really put the screws to his stamina. a focus to the body i honestly believe could lead to him winning a stoppage victory. if canelo goes in fully assisted AND time has degraded ggg a touch AND canelo fights the fight of his life i could see him winning a legitimate decision.

that's just me though and i don't really know boxing. what's y'alls hot takes? how will it play out?

Marching Powder
Mar 8, 2008

i seriously cannot stop forgetting that this fight is going to happen really soon. canelo / ggg 24/7 https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZPH9XLB3QVw

Marching Powder
Mar 8, 2008

MMM Whatchya Say posted:

I do think that's why Golovkin didn't do that many body shots though.

same, and it was baffling. canelo's head movement is good, but his body was there to be whaled on. if golovkin works his body with the traditional bad intentions i do believe he can still put canelo away.

Marching Powder
Mar 8, 2008

canelo did a good job of acting shocked, but i'd be surprised if, based purely on golovkin's reputation, he didn't try for any edge he could get.

Marching Powder
Mar 8, 2008

Monday Bandele posted:

"decent" is fairly generous for guys like Julius Indongo and Jeff Horn

can you just say straight up that when he fights someone 'good' he will be exposed as someone undeserving of a top 3 p4p rating?

Marching Powder
Mar 8, 2008

i can readily believe that someone is willing to pay floyd 500million to tool up a fighter who is not quite as good as jeff horn

Marching Powder
Mar 8, 2008

How has povetkin been around for as long as he has been and only fought wlad? Who are those people on his resume?

Marching Powder
Mar 8, 2008

Bluedeanie posted:

They have the Ali KO photo hanging above his cot, which seems like a huge rear end in a top hat thing to do.

wtf

Marching Powder
Mar 8, 2008

kimbo305 posted:

Holy hell, Martinez coming back after 4 years just to do this rematch?

Seriously. I don't like this at all.

Marching Powder
Mar 8, 2008

he's taking cash to be executed by a name fighter who will never amount to anything

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Marching Powder
Mar 8, 2008

The SituAsian posted:

All bantanweights who are not Naoya Inoue please just withdraw from the WBSS right now

https://youtu.be/P-1INHZQxEw

Jesus christ. Ring had him at rank 4 or 5 iirc