Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Grittybeard
Mar 29, 2010

Bad, very bad!
I had no idea this was going on and after looking up something on it...

quote:

Chase Center, Wilmington, Delaware - In his first fight since last June, former four division world champion Roy Jones Jr. (65-9, 47 KOs), 48-years-old, secured a eight round stoppage over Bobby Gunn (21-7-1, 18 KOs) in a cruiserweight contest. Stoppage was marked at 7 seconds of the eight.

Gunn, inactive since December 2013, had lost his last three in a row coming into this contest.

...why? Why did this happen? Who pays to see this?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Grittybeard
Mar 29, 2010

Bad, very bad!
I'm pretty excited for this broadcast, which feels like a weird thing to say about something that isn't on a premium channel or PPV.

Grittybeard
Mar 29, 2010

Bad, very bad!
Nice KO for Lubin.

I guess Cota has real power? I know nothing about him, but that KO % is impressive.

Grittybeard
Mar 29, 2010

Bad, very bad!

The SituAsian posted:

Hmmm so Porter-Berto is actually happening. How about that.

Weird to think back to when Berto was supposed to be the next big thing. Hell I bought in. Bought in so much that I kinda believed in Victor Ortiz of all people after he beat Berto.

That was still a great fight at least. Probably my favorite Emanuel Steward announcing moment.

Grittybeard
Mar 29, 2010

Bad, very bad!

doctor thodt posted:

cool mask dude

Is that a cultural thing or a weird Joker mask?

Grittybeard
Mar 29, 2010

Bad, very bad!

Lionel Richie posted:

I've suddenly got a feeling that this fight will be boring

So far this looks like a bad prediction.

Grittybeard
Mar 29, 2010

Bad, very bad!
I drunkenly and possibly biasedly have it 4-0 Thurman, but I could see a reasonable person having an even fight at the moment. Garcia has had a few moments and that left to the body is doing some work.

Grittybeard
Mar 29, 2010

Bad, very bad!

KidDynamite posted:

Is Thurman good for boxing Garcia like this all night?

He's got pretty good boxing chops if that's what you're asking.

I thought Garcia easily won the 6th and did ok in the 5th.

Grittybeard
Mar 29, 2010

Bad, very bad!
These crowd boos the last couple of rounds seem premature. Yeah things have slowed down but this is still a pretty active fight.

Grittybeard
Mar 29, 2010

Bad, very bad!
Thurman won this easily but I worry about playing it so safe the last 2 rounds.

Grittybeard
Mar 29, 2010

Bad, very bad!

The Ninth Layer posted:

Yeah I just got home in time for the ninth round and all I really saw was Thurman running.

Thurman pretty much dominated up to that point. De La Hoya Trinidad decision coming?

Grittybeard
Mar 29, 2010

Bad, very bad!

balancedbias posted:

aaaaaand that was a great job by Jimmy to keep the suspense going

Haha, I was thinking everything he could say still meant either guy unless he mentioned a city.

I think the right guy won, but I think Thurman hosed up the last few rounds badly.

Grittybeard
Mar 29, 2010

Bad, very bad!

The SituAsian posted:

According to ESPN-secondhand via a BLH comment- Chavez Jr. Is apparently doing hours of cardio in the MGM Grand fitness center to make weight so (continue to) bet the house on Canelo. Shame too cause I really want Hijo to beat Canelo's fat head in.

Is there a way to bet against JCCJr making weight for any particular fight? Because I think I'd do that just about every time.

Grittybeard
Mar 29, 2010

Bad, very bad!

Skip My Posts posted:

how bad were the late shots to dirrell?

Came to ask this. Dirrell himself apparently said he didn't think it was that bad? His corner seems to disagree.

Grittybeard
Mar 29, 2010

Bad, very bad!

MMM Whatchya Say posted:

Judge it for yourself

Personally I don't think you can fake going down like that.

I was kind of asking about bad as in dirty--like how long after the bell was the punch? Couldn't find a video of the actual fight last night, just the uncle's sucker punch. I just assumed Dirrell was hosed up.

Yeah that looks like a good DQ but not super egregious dirty poo poo by boxing standards.

e: I'd completely forgotten about all of that Abraham stuff, now I know why you were thinking about faking.

Grittybeard fucked around with this message at 03:25 on May 22, 2017

Grittybeard
Mar 29, 2010

Bad, very bad!
How much did Kessler do after his eye was hosed up? I remember he was around for longer than I thought he would be.

Grittybeard
Mar 29, 2010

Bad, very bad!

Josuke Higashikata posted:

Joshua vs Klitschko 2 is happening, it seems.

I guess might as well on both sides? Does Joshua have a bigger payday out there? By heavyweight standards recently it was actually a pretty good fight the first time around too.

Grittybeard fucked around with this message at 14:09 on Jun 7, 2017

Grittybeard
Mar 29, 2010

Bad, very bad!

MrBling posted:

Kessler turned down the wildcard invite because he didn't think he could get fit/ready in time for it. It seems like he's set on doing something else for his comeback.

He's planning a comeback? I liked Kessler a lot way back when but he's a guy who should probably just hang them up.

Grittybeard
Mar 29, 2010

Bad, very bad!
From that article for people who don't click through:

quote:

Pacquiao holds a contractual rematch clause with Horn should he choose to exercise it, but Roach is clear that no matter where Pacquiao goes in from here in boxing, should he not retire, he won’t be co-signing a Pacquiao fight against Terence Crawford.

“If we fight Terance Crawford right now, he’s very athletic,” Roach says. “He’s very mobile. He’s like a young Manny Pacquiao. I don’t think we want to fight a guy like that, at this point.”

Is that even possibly on the table? I guess it's a good name to get on Bud's list of wins but...robbed or not you're coming off of a loss to Jeff Horn right now.

As to the self-training thing it wouldn't be the first time a boxer has been incredibly dumb about things, but I remember Manny pre-Roach. He was a fun and talented brawler, I'd happily watch any fight he was in. But he became the possibly best P4P argument monster he was at his best after Roach was training him.

Grittybeard
Mar 29, 2010

Bad, very bad!
Figueroa/Guerrero might not be a great fight, but it's a pretty damned fun fight so far.

I think I might have posted that the second it became a one sided beatdown.

Grittybeard
Mar 29, 2010

Bad, very bad!

The SituAsian posted:

Edit: Also Robert Guerrero retired today. Didn't see the Figueroa fight but I hear he got the poo poo kicked out of him, and he's not looked good in a while, so definitely a wise choice.

He started off pretty aggressive and I think won the first round. Then Figueroa starting hitting back and things didn't go well, he went down 3 times from around mid second to the end of the round. Guerrero came out for the third and looked like he was moving ok, but ended up going down a couple more times and the ref called it.

Grittybeard
Mar 29, 2010

Bad, very bad!
Huh, didn't realize that's the first time Guerrero's been knocked out. Figueroa made it look pretty easy, although I'm sure that's aided by the Ghost being done.

Also Figueroa's problem was his hands kept breaking wasn't it? They apparently held up pretty well on Saturday.

Grittybeard
Mar 29, 2010

Bad, very bad!

TwoDogs1Cup posted:

https://youtu.be/JA91fYiBE_8

Watching this random boxing video on YouTube. Why is the guy around 4:00 just quitting the fight with Tyson? He just shoves his team away and walks off

Andrew Golota was...weird. It's worth looking him up to see how crazy his career was. He was a pretty talented boxer really. He had previous heavyweight champ Riddick Bowe beaten twice, but for some reason just kept hitting him in the nuts. Not like he was doing it because he was in trouble or losing, he just wanted to punch the man in his balls. He got disqualified both times.

Here's a different fight where he just quits. I mean, yeah he got tagged and knocked down but he was up at the count of 3 and way ahead on the cards and that was the last round. Here's that whole fight with Tyson, he got knocked down in the first round. At about 4:08 or so you can hear him telling his corner to stop the fight, but they convince him to go another round. That leads up to the thing you linked where he's just like gently caress it and walks out.

Basically he couldn't mentally deal with being hurt or being tired is my best guess, but who knows?

Grittybeard
Mar 29, 2010

Bad, very bad!

thehappyprince posted:

end of an era tbh

Be interesting to see how history views him a while from now. Living through it was frustrating as hell but he was unbeatable for a good stretch there despite there always being questions about his chin.

On the other hand his competition through that stretch won't do him any favors.

Grittybeard
Mar 29, 2010

Bad, very bad!
If you're not sure what to look up just check out ring magazine fights of the year for a while, I think most of them are on youtube.

e: Well the relatively recent ones, I guess those go back to the 40s or something? Haha, oh, the 20s. Yeah you probably won't find those.

Grittybeard
Mar 29, 2010

Bad, very bad!
^^^--I mean you specifically talking about Golovkin not looking that good has been going on his whole career

Marching Powder posted:

plural? i thought jacobs was the only guy who made ggg look less than a killer and he has several attributes that i'd credit for that performance that canelo doesn't have.

Yeah I've seen a lot of this going around and I don't really get it.

It's always possible GGG is slowing down, he is 35 after all. I'd just not say it's a definite thing based off of that Jacobs fight.

Grittybeard
Mar 29, 2010

Bad, very bad!
Haha, that's amazing. How far back in time would you have to go for that statement to be true?

Grittybeard
Mar 29, 2010

Bad, very bad!

big money big clit posted:

A guy who is stuck in full mount can still be defending himself if he's preventing most of the punches from getting through. Nobody can say whether the ref in that case did a good or bad job because you don't know what you watched.

Or if he's Oleg Taktarov he's just fine no matter how hosed up his face is and how much someone is headbutting it :colbert:

big money big clit posted:

Watching boxing but going all aghast at MMA is silly. Boxing is extremely bad for long term health, very possibly even worse than MMA due to the far larger number of head impacts over a career.

I think it's quite likely boxing is worse for you, the sub-concussive impacts over time seem very dangerous and boxing is a lot more likely to let a dude get beat up a lot longer before he passes out. But more research should be done of course before we call that conclusively, although enough research has probably been done for most people to (correctly) say holy gently caress my kid will never box.

I just love this stupid, corrupt, person destroying sport too much to stop watching.

Grittybeard
Mar 29, 2010

Bad, very bad!

mike- posted:

I'm still on the Daniel Jacobs is really good and pointing to that fight as evidence of ggg falling off is misguided train. But with that said, it isn't crazy to think that a fighter has lost a step at 35. In any event, ggg will probably have to stop canelo to win because of all the bullshit judging in canelos fights.

Yeah this is where I am. He'll eventually fall off because he's human and getting old, but I suspect he's still scary good.

And he'll probably have to be because Canelo is no slouch and like you and everyone has been saying GGG is probably going to have to stop him in order to win.

Grittybeard
Mar 29, 2010

Bad, very bad!

The SituAsian posted:

In the middle of Golovkin-Canelo hype don't forget about tomorrow's "Superfly" card which has to be the first time a fight card has had all 5 of the consensus (unless you're super into Kal Yafai) top 5 in a division.

I basically know no one here other than Chocolatito. Who's exciting and why? I assume the guy Gonzalez is fighting since he lost a decision at the least.

Grittybeard
Mar 29, 2010

Bad, very bad!

The SituAsian posted:

Chocolatito-Sor Rungvisai- A rematch of one of the fights of the year. Chocolatito should be on point since if he loses again it's pretty much the end of big paydays for him

I completely missed the first fight and my googling is bad, can someone hook me up with a youtube video or something?

Grittybeard
Mar 29, 2010

Bad, very bad!

Sweet, going to watch this later today :hfive:

Appreciated.

Grittybeard
Mar 29, 2010

Bad, very bad!

MMM Whatchya Say posted:

It would be very hard and weird to enforce, especially as people age differently

I'm imagining Bernard Hopkins fighting at Middleweight tomorrow.

Grittybeard
Mar 29, 2010

Bad, very bad!
I missed it if someone mentioned it earlier but Magomed Abdusalamov got 22 million from New York for what happened in his fight with Mike Perez.

Good for him, I don't remember the details all that well but a lot of stuff that went down after that bout were real sketchy. Like his trainer had to flag down a cab or something to get him to a hospital because there was no ambulance available after a freaking boxing match?

Grittybeard
Mar 29, 2010

Bad, very bad!
I was going to say whatever else you say about that fight Canelo finally killed JCCJr's career forever which is something we can all appreciate. But I looked it up and of course he's coming back.

Grittybeard
Mar 29, 2010

Bad, very bad!

NUKES CURE NORKS posted:

do they have to weight in the day of the fight? or can they start packing on a bunch of weight now?

Nah they can pack on whatever they want now.

They used to do weigh ins on fight day but it got people killed, since so many fighters are doing stuff like cutting water to make weight and their bodies didn't have time to recover.

e: Ooops corrected with that belt thing. I was unaware of that.

Grittybeard fucked around with this message at 22:27 on Sep 15, 2017

Grittybeard
Mar 29, 2010

Bad, very bad!

attackmole posted:

My favorite thing about transitioning to watching boxing from MMA is learning that boxing fans hate Byrd even more than MMA fans. And MMA fans already hate her.

Oh man...she's so amazingly bad I'm almost impressed by her record. And she still gets hired to do this.

Grittybeard
Mar 29, 2010

Bad, very bad!

MMM Whatchya Say posted:

Yeah ok those scores aren't good, they're both about 2 rounds off of what the consensus view of those fights are, but it's not as horrible as I feel its being made out. It's also worth noting that her card of Benavidez was the most accurate of all of the judges, for whatever that's worth.

I've got a new one to add to that list.

Grittybeard
Mar 29, 2010

Bad, very bad!

The SituAsian posted:

Imo Golovkin should just take the Billy Joe Saunders fight in Kazakhstan. Unify all the belts and retire. He is only getting older and will never get a fair shake against Canelo.

Too much money involved in a rematch. Beyond that I kinda do think GGG actually tries to give the crowd what they want? His handlers might stop him I guess, but they'd have to see him declining quite a bit past where he was tonight.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Grittybeard
Mar 29, 2010

Bad, very bad!

Mechafunkzilla posted:

I love boxing but it's such a pile of poo poo.

Only boxing could have a legitimately great event like that which fulfilled expectations leave a sour taste in everyone's mouth.

Or at least only boxing could make that happen consistently when they actually get the fulfilled expectations part down.