Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Jump King
Aug 10, 2011

straight up brolic posted:

love that Frampton and Santa Cruz both like fighting each other so much.

Just watched this fight. It's really great to see such sportsmanship and everything from these two.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jump King
Aug 10, 2011

The SituAsian posted:

Poor Francisco Vargas

Bad night for brains in general

Jump King
Aug 10, 2011

I'd have Ward above Loma at least.

Jump King
Aug 10, 2011

lol if you were excited for that

Jump King
Aug 10, 2011

Huh, really surprised Mayweather didn't get him.

Jump King
Aug 10, 2011

I think there are good p4p #1 arguments for Gonzalez, Ward, GGG, Lomachenko depending on what criteria you use. Crawford too.

GGG is obviously a top P4P, possibly the best boxer in the world right now, but resume is important to a lot of people. I imagine the Jacobs fight might make things a bit clearer. If he cleans house with the clear number 2 guy in the division, then it's a lot harder to cast doubt on him.

Really all the guys mentioned are very, very good. The question of the top P4P is a hard one right now because there are a lot of good boxers right now.

That list up there isn't my top 5 P4P btw, it's just that I don't really see any argument Kovalev as best P4P that wouldn't work better on one of the other top guys.

Jump King
Aug 10, 2011

no, please don't watch Roy Jones Jr tonight

Jump King
Aug 10, 2011

CommonShore posted:

For me it's a question of whether I value Ward's close Kovalev win with a bunch of uninspiring decisions more than GGG's gigantic heap of twitching bodies. There's a tendency to overrate the skill of "pure boxers" in these discussions, too, and to underrate guys who are perceived as punchers, possibly as a means of giving credit to fighters who are getting the wins but not in emphatic crowd pleasing fashion.

The way I see it GGG is getting the wins as well as Ward, he has been more active, he's also a hell of a technician (even if it's not "pure boxing") and he gets the finishes, even against durable opponents - so I give the edge to Big Drama Show.

Ward is no slouch though, he made Sullivan Barrera look like trash, and Barrera is a top 10 light heavyweight, he also has a superb track record at 168, while GGG has campaigned exclusively at 160. Moving through multiple divisions means a lot on pound for pound lists.

I agree with what you're saying about the circular logic on the weak division thing. I also agree that GGG might be the best fighter today, but in such a close P4P competition, it's all about defining accomplishments, and GGG is still chasing those down.

E: I think I'd rank GGG above kovalev tbh

Jump King fucked around with this message at 06:40 on Feb 18, 2017

Jump King
Aug 10, 2011

Yeah I think too much emphasis is placed on resume in general, but I think with P4P, it helps to separate the very best.

:siren: Broner-Granados will be streamed for free on twitter tonight!

Jump King
Aug 10, 2011

Lomachenko vs Crawford would be great, but they're a bit too far in weight right now

Jump King
Aug 10, 2011

Top Dog got smashed. Browne could be an interesting fighter.

Jump King
Aug 10, 2011

I'm like the only person who doesn't mind Broner

Anyway I have no clue who won that fight

Jump King
Aug 10, 2011

I could see that as a draw, or like 2 rounds in either direction. Close fight.

Granados has still never lost by anything but a split decision

Jump King
Aug 10, 2011

christ

if they follow through with that it means jccjr shouldn't be too worried about that agreement where he gives up one mil for each pound overweight he is

Jump King
Aug 10, 2011

Hm, can't catch the fights tonight but the breazeale match sounded pretty good. I used to hate Breazeale, but he's kind of won me over a bit lately. Like, he's not good, at all, but he's clearly got a lot of heart.

Jump King
Aug 10, 2011

Man, I can't believe Khan reached his expiration date before Pac

Jump King
Aug 10, 2011

Khan is a fast starter, does great in the first few rounds, but he's surprisingly one note if you can adjust to his speed. I don't even think his chin is horrible, he just relies on his speed for defence and against higher level competition that's not enough.

Jump King
Aug 10, 2011

I'd buy your talk on Pac if he didn't look great against both Bradley and Vargas last year, who are about the same level as Khan. He knocked them down too. I don't really see the sourness on Pac right now.

Jump King
Aug 10, 2011

Knockdowns are still pretty helpful to decision victories. I can see your angle, but I don't think pacquiao is depending on a ko here. As you yourself said, he's not had a ko in a long time, he knows how to get decision.

On Khan's side, I think you see some pretty consistent difficulty when he steps up in competition. Like, his best win is arguably Maidana and that was 7 years ago. Other than that, Devon Alexander?

I think even a faded Pac is better competition than that.

Jump King
Aug 10, 2011

It's a good match. They're both sort of Boxer-Puncher types, with Thurman being more aggressive and Garcia being more of counter puncher. Garcia is somewhat underrated, since he sort of fights to his level of opposition and has been in some close fights. Thurman is bigger and stronger (although Danny's no look hook is no joke) so he's the favourite and I think he'll take it by decision.

There's something about Garcia though, he always pulls out a win, so I can't overlook that. I've got a weird feeling about it, that he's somehow gonna take it. It's almost a picket fight for me.

Jump King
Aug 10, 2011

ozymandius1024 posted:

Lucas Matthysse is going to be returning on the undercard of Canelo/Chavez against Emmanuel Taylor.

Please don't be cooked :ohdear:

oh im sure he'll be fighting as long as margarito

Jump King
Aug 10, 2011

Thurman's not a dumbass though, so while I think he'll push the action, I don't think he's going to be overextending himself into counters all night.

Side note, I think you're using "box" differently than most people would.

Jump King
Aug 10, 2011

I can't disagree with that.

He is a lot bigger though, which I think will make an impact

Jump King
Aug 10, 2011

hi its me, the guy who pulled off the biggest upset in british boxing history by watching a guy fall down a bunch

Jump King
Aug 10, 2011

MMM Whatchya Say posted:

hi its me, the guy who pulled off the biggest upset in british boxing history by watching a guy fall down a bunch

I can't wait for Tony Bellew-Charles Martin

Jump King
Aug 10, 2011

I did have a lot of fun watching that, but I hope tonight's fights are a bit better in the actual boxing. Also I thought the cbs card was 9pm est

Jump King
Aug 10, 2011

thehappyprince posted:

yeah i think they're showing fonfara vs dawson first he said

I think this is actually a stealth interesting fight

Jump King
Aug 10, 2011

Fonfara has some questionable qualities, but he's got great heart which gives him the fight in my opinion.

Jump King
Aug 10, 2011

Oh uh, the Fonfara-Dawson fight already happened and was untelevised

weird

Jump King
Aug 10, 2011

The SituAsian posted:

Hmmm so Porter-Berto is actually happening. How about that.

It's a good fight for Porter. Berto is an easier opponent, but not a walkover.

E: I think Porter has a valuable place in the welterweight division as a relentless pressure fighter who presents a unique challenge that separates the very best from the rest

Jump King fucked around with this message at 04:03 on Mar 5, 2017

Jump King
Aug 10, 2011

Garcia's left hook is legit

except for the low blows, those are obviously not legit

Jump King
Aug 10, 2011

I think that could be a draw, but i hope Thurman wins

Jump King
Aug 10, 2011

Can't really disagree with any of those cards outright, but I may have had it a draw myself

Keith shouldn't have slept on those last two rounds

Jump King
Aug 10, 2011

Jack-DeGale was good

Jump King
Aug 10, 2011

The German guy is question is Jack Culcay, who you might know as the interim titleholder.

Jump King
Aug 10, 2011

Boo Boo has had some trouble, but his career is hardly a trainwreck and this Culcay fight is a good step for him imo.

Jump King
Aug 10, 2011

Thrifting Day! posted:

They do, but why the gently caress would they spend it on a past his prime former champion and Manny Pacquiao

Cause he's still the best welterweight gently caress the haters

Jump King
Aug 10, 2011

It's okay, he's probably going to be in one of the 8 man tournaments Schaefer announced recently.

Jump King
Aug 10, 2011

Also David Lemieux is fighting Curtis Stevens tonight in like 3 hours

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jump King
Aug 10, 2011

apologies for the triple post, but the undercard is also freely streamed on youtube

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BjelM2LKmhk

E: I thought there was another undercard bout but uh, guess there isn't/

Jump King fucked around with this message at 03:57 on Mar 12, 2017