Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Jump King
Aug 10, 2011

The Very Legal method I'm watching this fight on doesn't have my favourite commentary team

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jump King
Aug 10, 2011

been a while since I felt uncomfortable watching a boxing match

Jump King
Aug 10, 2011

Marching Powder posted:

so what happened? ended early?

https://twitter.com/HBOboxing/status/840793668944457730

followed by Stevens doing a great 2012 Pacquiao impression

E: alternate video

https://twitter.com/FightDiscovery/status/840795905259376643

Jump King fucked around with this message at 06:35 on Mar 12, 2017

Jump King
Aug 10, 2011

Marching Powder posted:

this is how you get me to pay for boxing in case any of the billionaire promoters are reading the somethingawful forums

seriously though good poo poo. i've never seen jacobs fight somehow. if gennady carries him a little will he make the 8th round?

Jacobs is good he's a big puncher with slick movement, but he's a bit chinny, so the feeling is that either way this g we it ends early

Jump King
Aug 10, 2011

I don't think we've ever seen GGG in real trouble, which is why I think a lot of people have trouble ranking him. When a fighter is always dominating, it's a little harder to know their full range, so every problem becomes a bigger deal and it's easier to imagine the floor suddenly falling out. I think that's why people are always saying GGG is going to get exposed.

GGG can box really well, hitting hard has been an important part of his american game, but you don't go 345-5 in the amateurs without having finesse.

I'm a little skeptical about his reckless fighting, it seems too easy to handwave everything away with "oh he does that intentionally for big drama show" but it's also clear he adjusts his style to his opponents. A big hitter with less defence like Lemieux gets one of the highest thrown jab percentages in the sport. A quicker boxer like Kell Brook gets rough trades around the corners of the ring. GGG took a lot of big hits in the Brook fight, but Brook's eye socket was broken while GGG was fairly alright, so the trade off clearly worked.

I would love nothing more than for Jacobs to really get GGG, to get him in trouble. I want GGG to win, but seeing him overcome genuine adversity to do it would be amazing. It wouldn't reduce my estimation of him either, we've seen a lot of really good fighters who had to struggle for wins, that's part of what makes somebody a great fighter imo.

Jump King
Aug 10, 2011

The SituAsian posted:

With the Leimieux knockout on Saturday and Golovkin looking committed towards fighting BJ Saunders in Kazakhstan in June if he wins the ship has pretty much sailed on Canelo-Golovkin being relevant when it happens if at all.

I disagree, Canelo's still a star and also the lineal middleweight champion according to RING magazine

Jump King
Aug 10, 2011

To me the most obvious person to blame is Canelo and ODLH

Jump King
Aug 10, 2011

The SituAsian posted:

RING "stripped" Adonis Stevenson of the lineal 175 title for fighting subpar oppsition in his own division but Canelo is still lineal champion despite having no fights against anyone ranked at all at 160 and having vacated his only title. Thinkingface.jpg

He's actually entirely followed the rules for defending the belt as written

The rules are poo poo, but it's not entirely arbitrary.

Jump King
Aug 10, 2011

isn't it at 9 EST? so in like another hour?

writing an op, it's gonna suck but what can you do

Jump King
Aug 10, 2011

Thread:

https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3813921

Jump King
Aug 10, 2011

ozymandius1024 posted:

Same. I was hoping they'd start a pre-show or something like that on the stream, but it just restarted the countdown clock for another 45 minutes :sigh:

MMM Whatchya Say posted:

They have some prelim fights streamed for free on youtub right now: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4OS9rytk-lY

For some reason they never advertise this stuff well

Andy Lee is fighting right now

Jump King
Aug 10, 2011

It's no fun to agree on everything

Jump King
Aug 10, 2011

Just hang in this thread and ask questions as things come up.

Biggest fight in the immediate future is Wladimir Klitschko and Anthony Joshua to decide the best heavyweight in the world.

Good fighters below welterweight:

Jr Welter: Terrence Crawford
Lightweight: Mikey Garcia, Jorge Linares
Super Featherweight: Vasyl Lomachenko, Gervonta Davis, Takashi Miura, Miguel Berchelt, Orlando Salido
Featherweight: Leo Santa Cruz, Carl Frampton
Super Flyweight: Roman Gonzalez, Carlos Cuadras, Nouye Inoue, Juan Francisco Estrada, Khalid Yafai

Jump King
Aug 10, 2011

Imo boxing is settling into a decent groove in 2017/late 2016

We were definitely in weird period for a bit after the Maypac fight, but we've been doing well in terms of quality matchmaking and fights and it look like the mma community is taking a bit more notice too.

Jump King
Aug 10, 2011

I'm always impressed that british fans can keep that seven nation army thing going for a whole fight

Jump King
Aug 10, 2011

Jack B Nimble posted:

after all it's not like they put in Gentle Jim Corbett

They did though

Yeah the idolization of the older heavyweights, especially guys like Sullivan where you have no footage and no real comparable accomplishments either.

I'm one of those guys that sort of buys into "Prime Tyson" and fringe top 10 seems alright, but factoring results in I agree that putting him above Lewis is silly. Holyfield I'm not sold on though.

Liston is tricky to rank, but 10 is inflated.

Archie Moore, Floyd Patterson and Sam Langford are all names that should be considered for this, although two of those guys are obviously pretty small by today's standards.

Jump King
Aug 10, 2011

Southpaugh posted:

Did anyone in this thread watch Michael Conlans pro debut versus Tim Ibarra? It seemed like a can crush. Ibarra doesn't have a wiki so I guess it was?
Yeah, but that's standard for a debut.

Less standard is the shady betting stuff that happened.

Jump King
Aug 10, 2011

Conlan also got involved in some illegal betting in the Olympics too

Jump King
Aug 10, 2011

Southpaugh posted:

Can't agree with you on that one man, the russian dude was wrecked. It was close enough but I think Conlan was a clear winner.

What shady betting stuff? Tell me more!

A large influx of money came in on a bet for Conlan to finish the other guy in the third round on his debut. Like more than rounds one or two, which normally be the biggest picks for a debuting prospect. On the third round he went hard for a stoppage and got it.

In the Olympics Conlan made bets on fighters in his division, including betting on himself to lose.

E: not mislead though, he didn't bet on himself to lose to the guy he actually lost to.

Jump King fucked around with this message at 19:16 on Mar 28, 2017

Jump King
Aug 10, 2011

So that's really happening? It's supposed to be two 8 man single elimination tournaments that Richard schafer is running. I guess one of them will be at 168? It's expected that one of them will be at 154

Jump King
Aug 10, 2011

The muhammad ali trophy has a long and storied history in boxing

Jump King
Aug 10, 2011

The Super Six produced Andre Ward so I think that went ok.

That this is a single elimination tourney bodes much better.

Jump King
Aug 10, 2011

Speaking of Andre Ward, the Kovalev rematch is allegedly set for June 17th.

In other light heavyweight news Badou Jack might fight Nathan Cleverly

Jump King
Aug 10, 2011

Oh they will, $70 is the price tag they've announced

Jump King
Aug 10, 2011

I don't really see the need for a Russia fight myself. Can't say I've ever really seen the argument that Americans rigged the fight for American hero Andre Ward, but if you were thinking that way you could just get non American judges and still have the fight in a good time zone.

Jump King
Aug 10, 2011

I thought it was pretty good, and the competitiveness of it is reason enough imo.

My favourite part was in the last two rounds when they kept hitting each other at the exact same time.

Jump King
Aug 10, 2011

I think they both have the potential to make strong adjustments. Ward has the better track record and i think he'll do a better job of it, but it really depends on what each fighter takes from the last fight.

Jump King
Aug 10, 2011

Hey guys, Lomachenko v Crawford, ignoring size difference, who wins?

Jump King
Aug 10, 2011

Postol, a fight where he clowned the #2 guy in the division in an incredibly embarrassing fashion.

Jump King
Aug 10, 2011

I think the size difference is too big for it to ever happen but it's an interest no thought

Jump King
Aug 10, 2011

IDK, I haven't seen anybody beat him in 2017

Jump King
Aug 10, 2011

Loma fights don't even look like fights. They always have these weird moments in them where you can tell his opponents are getting so frustrated while the fight moves at a really strange pace. Like when Walters just dropped his hands and waited for the round to end at one point.

Jump King
Aug 10, 2011

I would have liked to see Vargas against loma but he was tragically killed earlier this year by Berchelt

Jump King
Aug 10, 2011

No shortage of good fights at 130

Jump King
Aug 10, 2011

I've heard a pretty distressing rumour that GGG has a pretty bad injury, potentially career derailing. Nothing concrete has emerged though.

Meanwhile, a potential challenger to Terrence Crawford has emerged in Julius Indongo. Dude just became a unified champion by picking up Ricky Burns' belt. It's the second straight domination he's put over a world champion. It's obviously a really quick progression for a dude who had never fight outside of Africa like a year ago, but he's certainly talented

It could be a really interesting fight, at the very least the winner would be the first undisputed champ in men's boxing in a long time.

Jump King
Aug 10, 2011

The Charlos are quite something

Jump King
Aug 10, 2011

I'm gonna say something horrible and you're going to hate it. I feel like Porter has the style to trouble Mayweather.

I don't think he's like, good enough to actually do anything to Mayweather, but he could certainly make him work hard.

Jump King
Aug 10, 2011

Marching Powder posted:

he's looked great in the fights i've seen, but isn't this step up in competition quite significant?

Both fighters bring enough unknowns that it's sort of hard to say until it happens.

Joshua - Is he proven? Wins have steadily increased in quality without dipping in decisiveness, but he's yet to notch a win that obviously puts him at the top. The Whyte win looks the best in retrospect.
Wlad - Is he shot? It's hard to say what were the biggest factors in the Fury loss. The skills of Fury? The bad style matchup? The age of Wlad? The physical matchup, with Fury being a rare taller opponent?

If Wlad's troubles were due to the size or his own aging, AJ should win here. If it's about the style matchup, things look a little better for him since AJ uses the kind of textbook style he knows how to deal with.

It's a classic case of How much does he have versus how much does he have left. It should absolutely one of the biggest heavyweight fights of the decade, but it's undercut only by the Fury fight casting a huge amount of doubt on Klitschko.

Jump King
Aug 10, 2011

Jack B Nimble posted:

And surely, surely, fighting as a contender rather than the reigning champ will light a fire that reforges the steel hammer?

He's said something to this effect in interviews. being a challenger is much more freeing then being a defender trying to break Joe Louis's record

I can really see this going either way.

Maybe i should try to get out of work early to watch this

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jump King
Aug 10, 2011

Has it started yet?