Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

ozymandius1024
Mar 15, 2006

You don't yank on the Spine of God

The SituAsian posted:

:laffo: If we get Spence/Brook, Pacquiao/Khan and Mayweather/McGregor (!) before Canelo/Golovkin.

https://twitter.com/mannypacquiao/status/830845509203922944

Alright, who are the 3,000 troll assholes who voted for Jeff Horn?

I would totally be cool with Pac/Khan though.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ozymandius1024
Mar 15, 2006

The Ninth Layer posted:

Good showing for Peterson, his body work was something else that fight.

I don't know why, but I've always really liked Peterson. He's got like no power but throws a pretty decent volume, is a great body puncher, and has a very cocky air about him when he's in the ring (the shoe shining he did against Holt and Jean were hilarious).

I can't remember who said it originally (it was on BLH though), but I don't want to live in a world where Lamont isn't shambling forward like a zombie and harassing the body.

ozymandius1024
Mar 15, 2006

Jose posted:

amir khan getting knocked out is always fun

And seeing Manny Pacquiao knock people out is also fun (especially since he hasn't done it in forever)

ozymandius1024
Mar 15, 2006

Lucas Matthysse is going to be returning on the undercard of Canelo/Chavez against Emmanuel Taylor.

Please don't be cooked :ohdear:

ozymandius1024
Mar 15, 2006

mike- posted:

I think Thurman will win in a fairly easy fashion, and the fight will be less competitive than the Porter win. Danny is a good counter puncher, but his feet are slow and I think he will have problems with thurmans power and athleticism. I also think that Danny lost to Herrera and arguably lost to lamont Peterson (and would have definitely lost if the fight had been in the 15-round era). I think Thurman will give Danny the same kind of problems that Peterson did except with a ton more power.

Part of the reason Peterson lost the Garcia fight was because he drat near gave away the first half of the fight out of sheer inactivity (despite making Danny look like flailing dogshit in the process). I don't see that being a problem with Keith, and he'll also have the blueprint from the Lamont fight.

But since boxing hates me, Danny is probably going to knock him out or something.

ozymandius1024
Mar 15, 2006

gtkor posted:

I don't know that a ton of people are going to be willing to pay 64.99 for it though.

I could see that, but I'm going to be buying it for sure (especially since I don't know anyone with the ability to buy the fight on cable or satellite TV)

ozymandius1024
Mar 15, 2006

VOTE YES ON 69 posted:

I am worried that GGG is gonna eat a bad punch sometime. He's pretty cocky and lets people hit him quite a bit. There are definitely fights where he's started to get in actual trouble, but puts the gas back on at the last minute and punches his way out. That seems pretty easy to gently caress up.

I mean, I guess that's Big Drama Show, but I'd rather see him just dominate people (like Lomachenko) than toy with taking a bad shot presumably on purpose.

The Lemieux fight is the blueprint though. He didn't gently caress around with him at all, just jabbed the poo poo out of him defensively for like 5 rounds, then went into seek and destroy mode.

It's not always the case, but the guy will take some shots carelessly just to gauge the other guy's power (Monroe, Stevens, Geale) and then go to town if he decides they're not on his level. That is something that could get him into trouble, but I think he and his team are smart enough to know that Danny Jacobs probably isn't a guy that you employ that strategy against.

ozymandius1024
Mar 15, 2006

Marching Powder posted:

little disappointed gonzalez isn't rematching cuadras.

That'll probably happen if he wins this fight.

MMM Whatchya Say posted:

I would love nothing more than for Jacobs to really get GGG, to get him in trouble. I want GGG to win, but seeing him overcome genuine adversity to do it would be amazing. It wouldn't reduce my estimation of him either, we've seen a lot of really good fighters who had to struggle for wins, that's part of what makes somebody a great fighter imo.

The other positive to this would be him looking "weaker" and hopefully coaxing Alvarez and Golden Boy into a potential fight (lol jk, we all know that's never happening)

ozymandius1024 fucked around with this message at 21:23 on Mar 15, 2017

ozymandius1024
Mar 15, 2006

doctor thodt posted:

Doing my part and shelling out the $65 for the first time in a while. Gennady deserves it.

Same. I was hoping they'd start a pre-show or something like that on the stream, but it just restarted the countdown clock for another 45 minutes :sigh:

ozymandius1024
Mar 15, 2006

thehappyprince posted:

my hot take is that golovkin is nearly 35 and is on the way out, his legs are shot etc

https://gfycat.com/FairDisfiguredAntipodesgreenparakeet

the absolute state of his chin tho.

best chins of recent times ranked, imo:

vitali
golovkin
floyd
froch
garcia

Tell me those shots from Jacobs don't knock any other current middleweight into next week.

Jesus loving Christ.

EmmyOk posted:

Hello friends I really like MMA but would like to start watching boxing too but it seems very hard to get into as a sport compared to MMA. I've the GGG card from this weekend waiting for me at home but what fighters should I be getting familiar with? I've rewatched old Tyson fights (around the Berbick era) fairly constantly the last few years.

Welterweight:
Keith Thurman
Kell Brook
Errol Spence
I guess Danny Garcia if you like douchebags

Middleweight:
Gennady Golovkin (seriously)
Danny Jacobs
Canelo Alvarez (lol)
Jermall Charlo (though most of his good stuff is going to be from here on out, I think)

Light Heavyweight:
Sergey Kovalev
Andre Ward
Artur Beterbiev (monster)
Adonis Stevenson (if your thing is dudes who duck)

Heavyweight:
Vladimir Klitschko (he's almost on his way out though)
Anthony Joshua
Deontay Wilder
Tyson Fury (if he's even serious about getting in shape and fighting again)

That's not even mentioning guys in the lower weight classes like Lomachenko, Terence Crawford, Roman Gonzalez, and Mikey Garcia (who are all right around top 10 P4P talents).

ozymandius1024 fucked around with this message at 19:17 on Mar 20, 2017

ozymandius1024
Mar 15, 2006

david carmichael posted:

I was on the edge of my seat the entire time, but I'm an idiot nerd

Me too.

I won't even get condescending about it and be like "sorry it wasn't two dudes in a phone booth just throwing the entire time", but it was two top 5 P4P guys going at it near their primes. The stakes were insanely high, and they actually put on a pretty darn good fight (not a stinkout people expect of guys like Rigondeaux and sometimes Ward)

ozymandius1024
Mar 15, 2006

Evang posted:

So VL looked unworldy and made a solid B fighter(Sosa) appear like he had no business being inside the building, let alone the ring. Let's see if he can do that against someone with heavier fists and better skills.

You mean like Nicholas Walters?

ozymandius1024
Mar 15, 2006

The SituAsian posted:

I dksab but is AJ-Wlad the most significant heavyweight fight since Lewis-Vitali?

Nothing since springs to mind

Ummmm, Wlad/Fury perhaps???

:lol:

ozymandius1024
Mar 15, 2006

The SituAsian posted:

Also drat Junior is somehow winning me over in this Face Off what the hell

https://youtu.be/GJtyZ1V6EEA

Seriously.

I know it's not going to happen, but him giving Alvarez a Maidana/Broner-esque rear end kicking would make my year.

ozymandius1024
Mar 15, 2006

mike- posted:

The difference is that Jacobs is 6'1 and canelo is like 5'7.

And Danny moves a lot better, and has a ton of power.

Canelo didn't look like he ever staggered Chavez last night.

ozymandius1024
Mar 15, 2006

Pimp Cauldron posted:

any noteworthy fights coming up between now and GGG vs. canelo? besides the obviously shitshow one

Crawford is fighting next weekend against Indongo, and there is a massive card at the StubHub Center on the Saturday before GGG/Canelo.

Seriously, look at this loving card:

Srisaket Sor Rungvisai vs Roman Gonzalez, super flyweights, 12 rounds; Naoya Inoue vs Antonio Nieves, super flyweights, 12 rounds; Carlos Cuadras vs Juan Francisco Estrada, super flyweights, 12 rounds.

ozymandius1024
Mar 15, 2006

The Ninth Layer posted:

My sister's getting married that day. :(

Follow your heart man (you know you've got to skip that poo poo)

ozymandius1024
Mar 15, 2006

MMM Whatchya Say posted:

Yeah it's not a ppv fight it's just regular hbo

And that owns so hard

ozymandius1024
Mar 15, 2006

The SituAsian posted:

All this activity in the boxing thread makes me want to celebrate with a nice big slice of cake.

Who wants some?

https://www.instagram.com/p/BXf8CtYFCsr/

Holy gently caress :aaa:

ozymandius1024
Mar 15, 2006

Marching Powder posted:

being a boxing casual i had never heard of this guy. if you've got 10 minutes, i suggest watching this. bad, bad dude. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RNRJls-dC2E

He was a real life monster.

I can't bring myself to appreciate his boxing achievements knowing what he did.

ozymandius1024
Mar 15, 2006

Noctone posted:

Yeah this. It was only Lomachenko's second professional fight. Salido missed weight by a mile and ended up showing up to the fight a full 11 pounds heavier than Loma, and he got away with several low blows. Just by pure objective measures, Loma outpunched Salido both by the number of punches landed and especially by percentage. Ended up being a close split decision.

It's little wonder Salido has been ducking a rematch.

And even with all of this, by the end of the fight Lomachenko was still loving Salido up. I thought for a few moments that he might actually get him out of there.

If that rematch ever happened, I have no doubt that he'd obliterate and embarrass him (which is why it hasn't happened, because Orlando and his team know that too)

ozymandius1024
Mar 15, 2006

The Ninth Layer posted:

This story understandably got buried on Saturday by Mayweather-McGregor news, but ESPN and Top Rank announced that they have a minimum 4-year deal made between them. ESPN is now the exclusive carrier of Top Rank fights, will be showing both their big event cards as well as the smaller cards Top Rank used to develop their fighters that previously got buried on Spanish only channels, and will also be broadcasting PPV fights for the company. ESPN is also getting access to Top Rank's fight library of classic fights.

Several fights for the network coming up including Oscar Valdez, Jesse Magdaleno, the Pacquiao-Horn rematch and Lomachenko vs probably Rigondeaux in December.

I'm more excited about this than I probably should be.

ozymandius1024
Mar 15, 2006

Grittybeard posted:

I just love this stupid, corrupt, person destroying sport too much to stop watching.

Yeah, pretty much. We're all awful people.

ozymandius1024
Mar 15, 2006

The Ninth Layer posted:

I dunno about you guys but I'm starting to get real excited about Canelo-GGG. I'm a big fan of both guys and I just have a feeling this is gonna be a great one.

I think so too.

I've been trying to tell everyone I know that it's going to be excellent, and a much better use of their cash than May/Mac was, but none of them give a poo poo. It's depressing the gently caress out of me, because this fight is everything that boxing fans want even down to the styles and stakes.

ozymandius1024
Mar 15, 2006

Monday Bandele posted:

Jacobs came in at light heavy and was on his bike all fight, yet GGG still ate his best shots and put him on the canvas.

And he didn't even loving flinch.

I seriously can't wait for this fight you guys (and I get to see it in the theatre! :) )

ozymandius1024
Mar 15, 2006

The SituAsian posted:

I wouldn't be too worried. Judging from his Instagram Broner is clearly in a great state of mind and totally focused on his career.

https://www.instagram.com/p/BY18-GbHR5k/

https://www.instagram.com/p/BY47mQDH7YK/

Whatever those were got taken down.

ozymandius1024
Mar 15, 2006

^^ We look forward to it (with or without pics), cause your threads are always The Truth.

CommonShore posted:

I wonder if the May-Mac is somehow responsible for the parade of good bookings. Maybe freak show inspired shamed boxers and promoters to stop loving around and make the good fights so that the freak shows don't have a chance to steal the spotlight.

e. fixed.

I dunno, this entire year has been ridiculous, so I think it's just coincidence.

A big part of it is honestly is HBO telling Top Rank to gently caress themselves, and then Top Rank having to put up quality matchups (or at the very least marquee fighters like Pac) to get approved for ESPN. This is obviously something that could swing back around like it did last year (gently caress 2016), but this year has been amazing.

ozymandius1024
Mar 15, 2006

The SituAsian posted:

So me and MMM watcha say are just chopped liver? :mad:

No, not all :shobon: (I was just showing TNL some love)

The effort that you guys put in with the small size of SA's boxing community is loving awesome

ozymandius1024
Mar 15, 2006

The SituAsian posted:

Lost in all this madness is that Wilder-Ortiz is official until Ortiz's urine gives the tester radiation poisoning.

https://twitter.com/ShowtimeBoxing/status/909885112854155267

Please God, let this fight come together :pray:

ozymandius1024
Mar 15, 2006

thehappyprince posted:

andre ward has- much like his passport over his career- retired. rip in peace

:byewhore:

ozymandius1024
Mar 15, 2006

straight up brolic posted:

Terence Crawford is definitely P4P for me, right now. Only person close is Lomachenko.

I feel like that's gotta be the consensus right now.

ozymandius1024
Mar 15, 2006

Make that Mayweather money last, Chino :unsmith:

ozymandius1024
Mar 15, 2006

The SituAsian posted:

I was listening to the Sundaypuncher podcast and the British guy they had on was making GBS threads on Porter too. I'm not the biggest fan of his style but drat what do ya'll (the British) have against him?

I don't think it's just a British thing. A lot of people don't like his style because it's a little ugly with him smothering his own work and constantly bumrushing in with his head down.

I think he seems like a pretty decent guy (his dad is a bit of a tool though) so I don't really have a problem with it, but I can see why some would.

ozymandius1024
Mar 15, 2006

mike12345 posted:

Are there any fights you would recommend to someone who's new to boxing*? Like fights that are heavy on technique or there's something special about them. I watched that mexican fight in the OP (Bandido vs. ?), really enjoyed it. Then I watched a couple of Ali and Tyson fights, but honestly that Bandido fight in the OP was probably my favourite.

* not to watching, but to boxing itself

Bradley/Provodnikov
Castillo/Corrales
Gatti/Ward
Matthysse/Molina
Vargas/Miura

Basically any recent Fight of the Year. These are all excellent brawls between guys with tons of heart.

If you want something that's heavy on technique (like, a LOT of technique, the most technique), Lomachenko/Rigondeaux is next weekend on ESPN.

ozymandius1024 fucked around with this message at 12:22 on Dec 1, 2017

ozymandius1024
Mar 15, 2006

Thurman/Garcia was pretty high profile, but I don't know if both of them would've been top 10 at the time

ozymandius1024
Mar 15, 2006

The fact that we're getting any (let alone *multiple*) is amazing

ozymandius1024
Mar 15, 2006

Grittybeard posted:

I guess Mikey Garcia is the biggest sort of realistic name, but he went up to 140 to fight Broner and I don't know if he cares to come back down to 135. And I kinda doubt Loma would jump all the way to 140 immediately.

I could see him doing the belt collecting thing and just cleaning out 130 before moving up to 135. Which would be impressive enough but boring as far as matchups go for the most part.

Did anything ever come of Linares vs Garcia for the WBC belt at 135? I'd imagine if Mikey can make weight for that, a fight against Loma at that weight would be entirely possible (If Vasyl's team was ok with it, anway)

ozymandius1024
Mar 15, 2006

Yeah, JLC was getting loving wrecked at the end of that fight and it was probably only going to get worse. You can't let a guy just take unanswered shots like that with his hands down.

ozymandius1024
Mar 15, 2006

The Ninth Layer posted:

Spence vs Peterson tomorrow, should be a good test for where Spence is at. Lamont Peterson has a lot of experience and he's one of the hardest B-tier fighters to get a clear win against, so if Spence can put him away early it'll be a pretty big statement.

I'll try to get the new thread up beforehand, drat work demands keep getting in the way :argh:

I know it's probably going to be a walkover for Errol, but I've got shameful amounts of love for Peterson so I hope he at least makes it interesting.

It would've been so amazing if Lamont could've gotten the decision against Danny. That would've done wonders for his career (but it was his and his team's own fault that they gave away the first half of the fight strategically).

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ozymandius1024
Mar 15, 2006

Lucas Matthysse is fighting some dude I've never heard of from Thailand this weekend.

I really hope he doesn't end up like Chocolatito (in the second fight) :ohdear: