Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
iajanus
Aug 17, 2004

NUMBER 1 QUEENSLAND SUPPORTER
MAROONS 2023 STATE OF ORIGIN CHAMPIONS FOR LIFE

Tony Montana posted:

Liberal is smart people with degrees
I think I found a massive and demonstrable flaw with this post with regard to the political system in Australia.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

iajanus
Aug 17, 2004

LogisticEarth posted:

Why not have the same level of preparation for personal protection?

Because it's really easy to show that statistically the worst way to protect your family is owning a gun. All outcomes show that doing so multiplies their chance of being killed in the home to a hilarious degree. This has already been posted, in more depth, in this thread.

iajanus
Aug 17, 2004

Tiggum posted:

Because fires and injuries are thing that actually happen. Armed intruders threatening you in your home is a fantasy.

Hey one time at 3am someone knocked at my front door but since I live in a sane country I just turned on the porch light and asked who it was and they went away.

Wish I had a gun, would have made it much easier to accidentally shoot my wife.

iajanus
Aug 17, 2004

I think at this point it's almost a family-by-family thing in a lot of western cultures - my family would literally never wear shoes inside the house but my wife and her family never take the loving things off until they're getting into bed or the shower or whatnot. It seems super weird to me to be chilling at home wearing shoes watching TV, but that's just how my family was.

To be fair, a good chunk of my family now lives in Canada so idk maybe the shoeless spirits called them home.

iajanus
Aug 17, 2004

chitoryu12 posted:

America has a ridiculous amount of space, so it gets taken advantage of. Supermarkets take up multiple city blocks and have parking lots with a footprint the size of a medieval village.

Now your first instinct will probably be "Australia has a ton of space too and they don't do that!" But remember that most of Australia is an uninhabited wasteland.

Much like America. We're just more honest about it.

• Locked thread