Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Hekk
Oct 12, 2012

'smeper fi

PookBear posted:

Can anyone recommend a good two person tent for hiking? what brands should I look at?

REI has some backpacking specific tents. I took mine along the PCT in Oregon and it worked great.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

US Berder Patrol
Jul 11, 2006

oorah

US Berder Patrol fucked around with this message at 19:12 on Feb 18, 2022

MonkeyWash
Jan 14, 2005
Donkey Rinse

PookBear posted:

Can anyone recommend a good two person tent for hiking? what brands should I look at?

I have this:
https://www.amazon.com/ALPS-Mountaineering-Zephyr-2-Person-Tent/dp/B084J3TT6N

It was great. My wife and I camped in Utah and Colorado for weeks in it doing trail work a few years ago.

The Aardvark
Aug 19, 2013

I have a Marmot Tungsten 3p for my wife and I. It's served us well over the years and the extra room is nice so we aren't totally squished together if we end up having to bring our stuff inside due to weather.

PookBear
Nov 1, 2008

What do you have for first aid, and what is your plan for if you get hurt, IE sprained ankle? Take pain meds and limp back to the car?

PookBear fucked around with this message at 05:03 on Jan 18, 2022

Hotel Kpro
Feb 24, 2011

owls don't go to school
Dinosaur Gum
I've got a bunch of tape, gauze, a splint, bandaids, quikclot, probably some other stuff too. More importantly I have a ResQLink+ in case poo poo ever gets real. I recently changed the battery on it so it should last another 5 years and then I might consider getting something else

Icon Of Sin
Dec 26, 2008

I’ve got the civvie-equivalent of an IFAK, I think. Stays in the top of my backpack’s back pocket. I don’t have a locator though.

Nice and hot piss
Feb 1, 2004

PookBear posted:

REI makes great two person camping tents. We took ours for the 35 days of hiking the PCT last summer and it's held up incredibly well, also to add that it's like 6-8 years old and had stood up well.

However, I think we are going to buy either a Mountain Hardwear or big agnes tent here soon. Tents have gotten even lighter so we could, in theory buy us a 3 person tent with rain fly and it would be the same weight as our current REI one...

Hekk posted:

REI has some backpacking specific tents. I took mine along the PCT in Oregon and it worked great.

Which sections of the PCT were you on? Curious if we passed each other (granted you were hiking in July of last year)

The Aardvark
Aug 19, 2013

Went out to Bighorn Canyon at Anza Borrego Desert State Park with some goons last weekend

Icon Of Sin
Dec 26, 2008

Shenandoah sunset :unsmith:

pkells
Sep 14, 2007

King of Klatch
Wife and I are camping this weekend in SC, and we were on our way to a hike when we stopped at a grocery store for a few things. I noticed we were in Toccoa, GA, and that name sounded really familiar. So I googled it, and that’s where Camp Toccoa and Mt Curahee is, from Airborne lore (and Band of Brothers, which is how I know it). Turns out, the road up Mt Curahee is still open, so we decided to hike it instead.

Despite being a gravel road, it was a pretty steep climb, and my shins are gonna be smoked tomorrow. Respect to all the old dudes who were forced to run that with bellies full of spaghetti by Ross from Friends.

joat mon
Oct 15, 2009

I am the master of my lamp;
I am the captain of my tub.
Frost flowers are nature's condolence prize for the return of cold weather.

They will only appear on the first couple hard freezes of the season.

Only certain plants will do it, but when the air is below freezing and below ground is still above freezing, the sap in the plant's stem will freeze, expand, and split through the sides of the stem.

Then it will draw more sap up through the plant by capillary action, to also freeze and push the previously frozen sap further away from the plant.

To see them, you have to get up with the sun on the first cold (upper 20s/-3C) morning of the year and start looking.

They're incredibly ephemeral. Once the sun comes up, they start sublimating - the ice goes right to water vapor, and over the next 1-2 hours, they just disappear.

Until next year.

Mustang
Jun 18, 2006

“We don’t really know where this goes — and I’m not sure we really care.”
Holy poo poo this thread wasn't even on the first page!

Who's getting outside this summer? I know the east coast is smokey and hot as balls but it's been great out here in the Pacific Northwest.

Green Lake is a pretty nice bastion of nature here in the middle of North Seattle, I come here nearly every day.

US Berder Patrol
Jul 11, 2006

oorah
If any of y'all are disabled vets and near any kind of fly fishing opportunities, you should look into this organization Project Healing Waters Your local VA shrink complex may be able to get you in touch with them. The chapter here has been giving me casting lessons, and this week they straight up gave me a fly rod and reel with a case which was very cool of them. They organize fly tying classes and guided fishing trips and all sorts of stuff like that free of charge to veterans.

Hotel Kpro
Feb 24, 2011

owls don't go to school
Dinosaur Gum
I forgot we had this thread, mostly because it seems like The Rat posted in it the most and he hasn't posted in over two years. In the last three weeks I did the Incline up Pikes Peak

Followed immediately by the rest of Pikes Peak. Not a great idea.

Mt Princeton. We were planning on doing something else that day but my buddy wanted to take the scenic route and next thing we know this is the closest mountain to us. Ended up adding like 6 miles roundtrip because we parked at the bottom of the road.

Mt Shavano and Tabaguache. The up and down between the mountains was killer

Crab Dad
Dec 28, 2002

behold i have tempered and refined thee, but not as silver; as CRAB

Hotel Kpro posted:

I forgot we had this thread, mostly because it seems like The Rat posted in it the most and he hasn't posted in over two years.

I hope he's doing well...

The Aardvark
Aug 19, 2013

Since I have a toddler now it's a bit harder to get out and about but I have managed some.

Whale Peak out in Anza Borrego Desert State Park. Took another goon and it was the last desert hike of the season since it broke 100F while we were out the last weekend of April.

Then up to Cuyamaca, Japacha, and Stonewall Peaks in Cuyamaca Rancho State Park.

Noble Canyon, part of the Cleveland National Forest.

And this past weekend did a quick bag of Viejas Mountain before it got hot for the day, also part of Cleveland National Forest.

Hekk
Oct 12, 2012

'smeper fi

US Berder Patrol posted:

If any of y'all are disabled vets and near any kind of fly fishing opportunities, you should look into this organization Project Healing Waters Your local VA shrink complex may be able to get you in touch with them. The chapter here has been giving me casting lessons, and this week they straight up gave me a fly rod and reel with a case which was very cool of them. They organize fly tying classes and guided fishing trips and all sorts of stuff like that free of charge to veterans.

I have been a member of the Minneapolis chapter of Project Healing Waters for the last year or so. It’s a great organization that got me setup fly tying and have hosted several free fly fishing outings at some cool rear end places. I can’t show up without them throwing free gear at me.

I highly encourage disabled vets to check out their local chapters if you have any interest in fly fishing at all. It’s super therapeutic and everyone I’ve met has been super cool about keeping talk about fishing and not old war stories or some poo poo I am not interested in.

The Aardvark
Aug 19, 2013

There was a slight dip in temperature here this week, so after a last minute check I decided to sneak in desert hike over at Anza Borrego Desert State Park instead of my original plan for Saturday. Just gotta start at 6am :eng101:

Got back to the car and it was ~95F at 11am, so overall a good time. Broke a hiking poke when I fell on a boulder though.

Crab Dad
Dec 28, 2002

behold i have tempered and refined thee, but not as silver; as CRAB

I can’t find the loving rifle and it’s bothering me.

The Aardvark
Aug 19, 2013

Decided to wander up to the Santa Rosa and San Jacinto Mountains National Monument since I've done most of the bigger elevation gain hikes in San Diego. Got a bunch of stuff to do now when I can't do the desert rat stuff.

pantslesswithwolves
Oct 28, 2008

Ba-dam ba-DUMMMMMM

IIRC at least some of you dudes are in Colorado and maybe a few in the Denver area. I’m heading there in early October with a couple of my best friends and looking for some good hikes within an hour or so of the city. We’d have our own wheels and are three guys in good shape in our late 30s. I visited Denver in 2019 for a wedding and did some hiking, but can’t recall exactly where I was.

US Berder Patrol
Jul 11, 2006

oorah

pantslesswithwolves posted:

IIRC at least some of you dudes are in Colorado and maybe a few in the Denver area. I’m heading there in early October with a couple of my best friends and looking for some good hikes within an hour or so of the city. We’d have our own wheels and are three guys in good shape in our late 30s. I visited Denver in 2019 for a wedding and did some hiking, but can’t recall exactly where I was.

drive up Highway 93 (Boulder locals will just call this "Broadway" bc that's what it turns into in town) between Golden and Boulder -- park at NCAR and roam around Chatauqua Meadow and Flagstaff Mountain and go to the Southern Sun after for beers and food

Hotel Kpro
Feb 24, 2011

owls don't go to school
Dinosaur Gum
Someone recommended Wild Basin in RMNP in the other hiking thread in TGO. Seems like a top tier spot for hiking, not something I've done yet though

US Berder Patrol
Jul 11, 2006

oorah

Hotel Kpro posted:

Someone recommended Wild Basin in RMNP in the other hiking thread in TGO. Seems like a top tier spot for hiking, not something I've done yet though

RMNP is rad but you're probly lookin at about 2 hours door-to-trailhead from Denver

If you're willing to go that far, my favorite hike in the area is Fourth of July Trail, up behind Eldora/Nederland (in the Arapaho NF, not RMNP) but I wouldn't usually recommend it to tourists bc 1) the parking situation can be a real pain if you want to go on a weekend and 2) there's a fairly limited seasonal window of accessibility made problematic by the narrow and rutted forest service road. There's tons of hiking trails around Ned and the Peak-to-Peak Highway in general, though, and early October you should still be able to move around up there. I recommended the Boulder city park because it hits a pretty nice sweet spot of having easy parking (at the NCAR facility on Table Mesa), close and simple drive from Denver, and well-maintained trails that are easy to navigate in and out. It's a nice tidy day trip hiking zone for tourists; that said while I love the Flatirons there is truly spectacular high country scenery (including in RMNP) if you can get a few more hours of travel from Denver into the day's schedule.

Nerdier geologic points of interest:
Picking thru tailings piles at abandoned* mines up in the NF (*maybe not abandoned and if someone asks you to leave, just drop the rock and leave)
Dinosaur ridge in Morrison, some footprint casts (not an interesting hike at all, entry fee)
Exposure of kimberlite on Green Mountain (hikeable from the NCAR/Chautaqua zone, will not interest anyone who is not a real rock nerd)
the Seven-Mile Fold and the inoceramid fossils in the limestone at the Joder Arabian Ranch open space (if you were on your way up to RMNP)

US Berder Patrol fucked around with this message at 18:49 on Sep 7, 2023

pantslesswithwolves
Oct 28, 2008

Ba-dam ba-DUMMMMMM

Thanks for the info, Berder- really appreciate this. I’ll do some digging on hikes in these areas and bring it to my friends!

US Berder Patrol
Jul 11, 2006

oorah

pantslesswithwolves posted:

Thanks for the info, Berder- really appreciate this. I’ll do some digging on hikes in these areas and bring it to my friends!

oh yeah, no problem. I studied geology on the gi bill in Boulder, so while I'm revealing a bit of a bias for that area when I answer for "hiking near Denver", it was nice to indulge in a little nostalgia and think about this topic. Wish I could give you guys a geology field trip on Flagstaff or Mt Sanitas and go get rowdy at the Dark Horse after lol

The Aardvark
Aug 19, 2013

More San Jacinto Mountains fun, this time around Red and Grey Tahquitz

The Aardvark
Aug 19, 2013

Sunday's goal was to hit up San Ysidro mountain, the Thimble, and White BM for the first desert hike of the season. Ended up only getting White BM due to weather.

Thimble on the left. Got up to the last ~30ft but too wet to scramble up to the top.

San Ysidro is ~600ft up and 0.75 miles into this boulder field so we decided to go home.

The Aardvark fucked around with this message at 05:06 on Oct 4, 2023

Icon Of Sin
Dec 26, 2008

Crosspost from the good vibes thread:

Icon Of Sin posted:

Currently sitting in a lodge in Shenandoah national park, sipping a coffee next to a crackling fireplace.

Got here in the afternoon yesterday, hit up Hawksbill summit and Dark Hollow Falls before going to hang out at the taproom in Big Meadows’ lodge.

Hawksbill:

2 steps of Dark Hollow Falls:

Nice and hot piss
Feb 1, 2004

I am absolutely not one to take good photos, until the universe decided to give me the opportunity. This was in Dunton Colorado, just south of Telluride.

Icon Of Sin
Dec 26, 2008

Nice and hot piss posted:

I am absolutely not one to take good photos, until the universe decided to give me the opportunity. This was in Dunton Colorado, just south of Telluride.

Not showing up for me on Awful App, and idk how to fix non-Imgur links :(

Nice and hot piss
Feb 1, 2004

Icon Of Sin posted:

Not showing up for me on Awful App, and idk how to fix non-Imgur links :(

*mods feel free to delete for double posting*

It's a pretty picture, just scaled it down to where I can throw it on as an attachment

Only registered members can see post attachments!

The Aardvark
Aug 19, 2013

Went out to Elephant benchmark in Anza Borrego Desert State Park last weekend and saw some Elephant trees and lots of rocks

Elephant tree

Salton Sea from the benchmark

Carrizo Badlands from the benchmark

The way down and out

The Aardvark
Aug 19, 2013

Did my annual overnight to Villager Peak this weekend.

joat mon
Oct 15, 2009

I am the master of my lamp;
I am the captain of my tub.

The Aardvark posted:

Daaang. Those are gorgeous.

Burt
Sep 23, 2007

Poke.

The Aardvark posted:

Went out to Elephant benchmark in Anza Borrego Desert State Park last weekend and saw some Elephant trees and lots of rocks

Elephant tree

Dude, I've watched Life on Earth. If Elephants grew on trees Sir David would have told me so. :mad:

mlmp08
Jul 11, 2004

Prepare for my priapic projectile's exalted penetration
Nap Ghost

The Aardvark posted:

That is very nice.

Natty Ninefingers
Feb 17, 2011

The Aardvark posted:

what kind of camera?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The Aardvark
Aug 19, 2013

Galaxy S23+